Lionel's Hitchcock inaugural "Jostens' Motorsports Choice Award": At the 2014 Diecast Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony today at the Plaza Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Lionel Racing SVP and General Manager Howard Hitchcock was awarded the inaugural "Jostens' Motorsports Choice Award". The Diecast Hall of Fame and Jostens Motorsports division announced the new induction category and named Hitchcock as its first recipient in January. With more than 15 years of experience in the die-cast industry, Hitchcock is a celebrity among die-cast collectors and is known by the nickname "Dr. Die-cast," which was a radio persona he created for the popular Sirius Satellite Radio show "NASCAR Collector". He is also a familiar face to QVC watchers as he was a recurring guest on the NASCAR die-cast show "For Race Fans Only".(Lionel Racing)(2-23-2014)
Lionel Racing’s Howard Hitchcock & Jeff Gordon to be honored: On January 27, the Diecast Hall of Fame and Jostens Motorsports division announced the creation of an all new induction category called the “Jostens’ Motorsports Choice Award” to be launched at the 2014 induction ceremony. Lionel Racing’s Senior Vice President and General Manager Howard Hitchcock will be the first inductee to receive the award. Hitchcock is recognized throughout the diecast community, and has more than 15 years of experience in the industry. Many collectors know him as “Dr. Diecast,” which was a radio persona he created for the popular Sirius Satellite Radio show “NASCAR Collector.” “I’m deeply honored to have been selected as the inaugural recipient of the Jostens Motorsports Choice Award,” Hitchcock said. “It is truly an honor to be in the presence of some of the greatest people who have had such a dramatic impact on the industry we operate in every day.” Fans and collectors can attend the 2014 Diecast Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on February 21, at the Plaza Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, NV.(Lionel Racing Pit Box), #24-Jeff Gordon will recieve the Lifetime Achievement award.(2-9-2014)
NASCAR '14 Is Coming to Xbox 360, PlayStation3 system and PC on February 18: Deep Silver announced that the racing game NASCAR '14, developed by Eutechnyx, will launch in North America on February 18, 2014 on the Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation3 computer entertainment system and PC for the suggested retail price of $49.99. Pre-order offers at Walmart, Gamestop, Best Buy, Target and Amazon may include diecast cars, exclusive paint schemes and more. Fueled by high-octane intensity and the opportunity to relive the best NASCAR moments from both the 2013 season packed into the game plus regular downloadable content updates as the upcoming season progresses, NASCAR '14 offers fans the most complete NASCAR experience yet. Recently NASCAR revealed that more than 700,000 votes were cast worldwide in the "Drive for the Cover" contest as fans voted Tony Stewart, the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion to appear onto the cover of NASCAR '14. The injury that kept Stewart off the track didn't stop fans of the driver of the #14 Bass Pro Shops / Mobil 1 Chevrolet for Stewart-Haas Racing from beating another fan favorite, four-time champion Jeff Gordon. Stewart plans to return to the track for the Daytona 500 race in February, the same month NASCAR '14 hits store shelves.(Eutechnyx)(1-13-2014)
Lionel NASCAR Collectables Top 10 diecast of 2012: When it comes to die-cast sales in 2012, Dale Earnhardt Jr. is king per a top 10 list released by Lionel NASCAR Collectables, The Official Die-Cast of NASCAR. Earnhardt's #88 Diet Mountain Dew Chevy was the best-selling 1:24 scale die-cast of the year. In addition to the top spot, Earnhardt also claimed spots two and four. Danica Patrick's #10 GoDaddy.com Chevy die-cast was also a hit in 2012, ending the year at third place on the list. For the second year in a row, a NASCAR Classics die-cast also made the cut. Released in April, Dale Earnhardt's #3 Goodwrench Chevyt Monte Carlo, which he wheeled in 1989, took the eighth spot. The Top 10 Die-Cast Cars of 2012 are:
1. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 Diet Mountain Dew Chevy
2. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 Diet Mountain Dew/"The Dark Knight Rises" Chevy - Michigan win car
3. Danica Patrick #10 GoDaddy.com Chevy
4. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 Diet Mountain Dew/"The Dark Knight Rises" Chevy - standard car
5. Jeff Gordon #24 DuPont Chevy
6. Kasey Kahne #5 Farmers Insurance Chevy
7. Jeff Gordon #24 AARP/Drive to End Hunger Chevy
8. Dale Earnhardt #3 Goodwrench Chevy Monte Carlo
9. Kevin Harvick #29 Budweiser Chevy
10. Brad Keselowski #2 Miller Lite/NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion Dodge
(Lionel NASCAR Collectibles), see images of the cars on the Paint scheme gallery pages.(12-21-2012)
NASCAR The Game: Inside Line video game now available: America's number one motorsport video game is back and better than ever as Activision Publishing announced that NASCAR The Game: Inside Line is available now at retail outlets nationwide on the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation3 computer entertainment system and the Wii system from Nintendo. Created by leading independent game developer Eutechnyx, NASCAR The Game: Inside Line delivers the most authentic, fast-paced racing experience yet, putting players behind the wheel of the world's most powerful stock cars, and comes fuelled with more content than ever before. For the first time ever, using telemetry data from the past two seasons, players will have the chance to relive and rewrite historic NASCAR moments in over a dozen different scenarios. Fans can also purchase the NASCAR The Game Inside Line Pack, which will offer new downloadable content and challenges throughout the 2013 season. For more information on NASCAR The Game: Inside Line, visit NASCARTheGame.com.(Market Watch)(11-6-2012)
Action Racing Collectables names top 10 diecast this year: This year, Action Racing Collectables (ARC), the popular die-cast brand owned by Lionel NASCAR Collectables, celebrates its 20th year of producing NASCAR die-cast cars. In July of 1992, Action began marketing its first die-cast product. Since then, the brand has become part and parcel of the racing world. To celebrate the 20-year milestone of Action Racing Collectables (ARC), Lionel NASCAR Collectables is releasing an ARC 20th Anniversary Commemorative die-cast. This 1:24 scale special edition die-cast is deco'd with the 20th Year logo and marks. To that end, Lionel NASCAR Collectables is releasing its ARC Mid-Year Top 10 - the best-selling 1:24 scale ARC paint schemes from the end of the 2011 season through July 10, 2012. The list includes all variations of each paint scheme - including Raced Win finishes. Unlike Lionel NASCAR Collectable's year-end top 10 list, this list is comprised of Action Racing Collectables-branded die-cast only. The top 10:
1. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 Diet Mountain Dew/"The Dark Knight Rises" Chevrolet Impala
2. Dale Earnhardt Sr. 1989 #3 Goodwrench Chevrolet Monte Carlo
3. Tony Stewart #14 Office Depot 2011 Championship Chevrolet Impala
4. Dale Earnhardt Sr. 1989 #3 Goodwrench Chevrolet Lumina
5. Matt Kenseth #17 Best Buy Ford Fusion
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 AMP Energy Chevrolet Impala
7. Richard Petty 1986 #6 STP Chevrolet Monte Carlo
8. Mark Martin #55 Aaron's Toyota Camry
9. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 National Guard/NASCAR Unites Chevrolet Impala
10. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 AMP Energy/7-Eleven Chevrolet Impala
All the paint schemes which made the top 10 and also the ARC 20th Anniversary die-cast design are available on the Action Racing Collectables 20th Anniversary Pinterest Board.(Lionel PR)(8-1-2012)
NASCAR Licensing Launches New ‘NASCAR Classics’ Line: NASCAR announced the creation of NASCAR Classics, a new brand identity within the licensing division. From the renegades who blazed the trail on country roads and the hard-packed beaches of Daytona, to the asphalt legends of later decades, NASCAR Classics represents the era that NASCAR established itself as the best racing in the world. NASCAR Classics is a brand that embodies the roots and heritage of NASCAR through high-end t-shirts, hats and original die casts. NASCAR Classics apparel is available for purchase at the NASCAR.com Superstore and Americrown haulers during all NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race weekends. However, the NASCAR Classics die casts are only available at the NASCAR.com Superstore. NASCAR Classics will expand to other retail locations later in the year.(NASCAR)(7-15-2012)
Dale Jr. vs Stewart & Gordon vs. Kahne in Semifinals of the “Drive for the Cover”: Tony Stewart had stiff competition in Round 3 of the Drive for the Cover campaign with Denny Hamlin, but his toughest test comes this week as he faces perennial fan favorite Dale Earnhardt Jr. The first three rounds saw several upsets and unexpected matchups, and Round 4 features four of the biggest names in NASCAR. In Round 3, Earnhardt Jr. defeated his JR Motorsports teammate (and employee) Danica Patrick to face Stewart in the next round. Kasey Kahne squeezed by Mark Martin to face Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jeff Gordon, who got by Ryan Newman in Round 3. Below are the head-to-head matchups for the semifinals:
Dale Earnhardt Jr. vs. Tony Stewart
Jeff Gordon vs. Kasey Kahne
NASCAR fans can vote in the bracketed tournament that is hosted entirely on NASCAR The Game’s Facebook page, which can be easily accessed at NASCARTheGame.com/Vote.(NASCAR)(6-26-2012)
Danica to be playable character in Sega Racing Game: SEGA of America Inc. announced that Danica Patrick will be appearing alongside Sonic the Hedgehog in "Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed", the new racing game where players speed across land, air and water in fully transforming vehicles. Known for her talents behind the wheel, Danica will be a playable character with customized vehicles in "Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed". Gamers will get the chance to test their racing abilities as Danica against an All-Star cast of SEGA characters including Sonic, Knuckles, AiAi and others. To further enhance this partnership, Danica will be racing in a custom #7 Sonic the Hedgehog Chevy, fielded by JR Motorsports, during the O'Reilly Auto Parts Challenge Texas Motor Speedway. The race, part of NASCAR's Nationwide Series, marks Sonic the Hedgehog's NASCAR debut.(Sega)(6-6-2012)
Top 10 diecast of 2011: Jeff Gordon's #24 AARP/Drive to End Hunger Chevy and Kevin Harvick's #29 Budweiser Chevy were the best-selling 1:24 scale die-cast cars of 2011, according to a top 10 list released by Lionel NASCAR Collectables. However in a surprise showing, Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne clinched the third sport as his #21 Motorcraft Daytona 500 Win Ford made the cut. While Gordon's AARP Chevy was the best-selling die-cast car, Dale Earnhardt Jr. tops the list as the driver garnering the most die-cast sales in 2011. Earnhardt cars claimed spots four, seven and nine. Another Earnhardt also made the list of heavy hitters. Dale Earnhardt's #96 Cardinal Tractor Ford was introduced in July as the first release in the company's NASCAR Classics line - a series of historical die-cast which have never before been made. The result? Collectors loved the #96 car so much; it shot to the sixth spot on the list of 2011 best-sellers. The Top 10 Die-Cast Cars of 2011 are listed below.
1. Jeff Gordon #24 AARP/Drive to End Hunger Chevy
2. Kevin Harvick #29 Budweiser Chevy
3. Trevor Bayne #21 Motorcraft Daytona Win Ford
4. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 Amp Energy Chevy
5. Tony Stewart #14 Mobil 1 Chevy
6. Dale Earnhardt #96 Cardinal Tractor Ford
7. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 National Guard Heritage Chevy
8. Tony Stewart #14 Office Depot Chevy
9. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 Dale Jr. Foundation/Vh1 Save the Music Chevy
10. Kevin Harvick #29 Budweiser Military Tribute Chevy
See images of many of the cars on the 2011 Sprint Cup paint scheme pages.(Lionel Collectibles)(12-13-2011)
Lionel NASCAR Collectables donates $125k: Friday at Richmond International Raceway, NASCAR drivers David Gilliland, Danica Patrick, Greg Biffle, Trevor Bayne and Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. joined Howard Hitchcock, Vice President of Lionel NASCAR Collectables (LNC), to present a $125 thousand check to Mary Siller Scullin, Vice Chairman of the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation and sister of fallen FDNY firefighter Stephen Siller. Scullin was joined by U.S. Army Specialist Brendan Marrocco and U.S.M.C. Corporal Todd Nicely. Marrocco and Nicely are the first two Americans to survive the loss of both arms and both legs in combat. The Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation has earmarked this donation to be used for the construction of a customized “smart home” for Nicely. The construction of Marrocco’s smart home was finished in June.
The check is the first installment of the proceeds from LNC’s “Honoring Our Heroes” die-cast program. A total of eight drivers will run special “Honoring Our Heroes” cars at Richmond this weekend. Each car takes the track in honor of those who lost their lives in the attacks of September 11, 2001 and also our nation’s military heroes. This donation also includes proceeds from die-cast sales of John Force’s Castrol GTX High Mileage/Honoring Our Heroes Ford Mustang Funny Car which will race at Charlotte’s zMAX Dragway on Sept. 16-18.
After the check presentation, Scullin presented a small piece of metal debris from the World Trade Center to each driver in attendance. Every piece is stamped with “W.T.C. 9/11 Never Forget” and the number “343” in honor of the 343 firefighters who died on Sept. 11, 2001. Each team’s crew has agreed to guard the metal in their pit box on race day.
Friday night, Danica Patrick, Carl Edwards, Trevor Bayne and Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. raced “Honoring Our Heroes” cars in the Nationwide Series race. #34-David Gilliland, #16-Greg Biffle, #14-Tony Stewart and #1-Jamie McMurray will race “Honoring Our Heroes” cars in Saturday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup series race.
[See images of the schemes on the #34 Team Schemes page, #14 Team Schemes page, #16 Team Schemes page and #1 Team Schemes page]. Following the events at Richmond and Charlotte, Lionel NASCAR Collectables will take part in the 2011 Tunnel to Towers Run on Sept. 25. Tunnel to Towers is an annual run in Manhattan hosted by the Foundation in which thousands of runners and walkers retrace the steps of Stephen Siller, an FDNY firefighter who ran through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001, carrying 75 pounds of gear on his back, to rescue his fellow New Yorkers. This year for the first time, Tunnel to Towers Runs will be held in cities nationwide as a way to mark the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001. Danica Patrick’s #7 GoDaddy.com/GetYour.Net Chevrolet and the #10 Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Show Car will be on display at the run. Lionel NASCAR Collectables is also the title sponsor of the Charlotte Tunnel to Towers run which will start at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 10 on Hamilton Street in downtown Charlotte. A group of LNC staffers will run and be on hand to share information about the Honoring Our Heroes program. Patrick’s #7 GoDaddy.com/GetYour.Net Chevrolet will also be on display.(Lionel NASCAR Collectables)(9-10-2011)
NASCAR The Game 2011 now on Wii: NASCAR, Eutechnyx and Activision Publishing, Inc. announced the highly anticipated release of NASCAR The Game 2011 for the Wii System from Nintendo. Already available for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation3 computer entertainment system, NASCAR The Game 2011 offers the ultimate adrenaline rush with unsurpassed pack-racing game physics and 43 cars battling it out until the checkered flag drops. NASCAR The Game 2011 is available now on the Wii System from Nintendo for $49.99 MSRP and for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for $59.99 MSRP. It is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB. For more info visit www.NASCARTheGame.com.(PR)(5-25-2011)
Lionel NASCAR Collectables launches Facebook Store: Lionel NASCAR Collectables (LNC), the Official Die-Cast of NASCAR, announced the launch of its new Facebook die-cast store. The store is part of the company’s multi-step web rollout aimed to make it easier and more efficient for collectors to acquire their favorite NASCAR die-cast. Beginning May 9, 2011, customers who like the LNC Facebook page will have immediate access to NASCAR die-cast products including in-stock die-cast and cars that are available for pre-order. On the new store site, collectors can browse product offerings or make a purchase without leaving the Facebook interface.
“Since we established a corporate Facebook presence in January, we’ve seen how much of an impact social media has on our business,” said Howard Hitchcock, Vice President LNC. “We’ve really enjoyed the one-on-one interaction with our Facebook collectors and our new Facebook store is just one more way we can reach those folks who are more Web-centric.”
The new Facebook store can be accessed by clicking the red “L” icon in the left-hand column of the LNC Facebook page. The full LNC web site and store will also still be available at www.nascardiecaststore.com and/or www.rccamembers.com. Follow Lionel NASCAR Collectables on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lionelnascar.(Lionel NASCAR Collectables)(5-9-2011)
NASCAR The Game 2011 released on Xbox, PS3: NASCAR racing is back in the hands of the fans with the release of NASCAR The Game 2011. Activision Publishing, Inc. and leading independent developer Eutechnyx announced the release of NASCAR The Game 2011 for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation3 computer entertainment system. NASCAR The Game 2011 captures the thrill and spectacle of NASCAR with a complete field of 43 cars and drivers, 23 authentic tracks, full damage modeling, realistic wrecks, pit stops and truly authentic details from pre-race flyovers to victory spinouts. A partnership with Sprint brings enhanced game replays, a special unlockable Sprint decal pack and even Miss Sprint Cup into the game. NASCAR The Game 2011 is available now on Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 system for $59.99 MSRP and on the Wii System from Nintendo later this Spring for $49.99 MSRP. It is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB. For more information visit www.NASCARTheGame.com.(NASCAR.com)(3-30-2011)
Lionel NASCAR Collectibles launches website: Lionel NASCAR Collectables, the official die-cast of NASCAR, announced the re-launch of www.rccamembers.com which can also be reached through www.lionelnascar.com. The launch is the first phase of a multi-step web rollout that will give die-cast collectors enhanced functionality and the opportunity to interact with Lionel NASCAR Collectables via the company's new social media presence. Customers can visit the newly designed site, browse through existing product, and pre-order 2011 die-cast cars. More products will be added in the coming weeks, with the new site becoming fully integrated by mid-March. Lionel NASCAR Collectables recently hired Michelle Fannin as social media manager. In her newly created role, Fannin will oversee the company's social media presence across a variety of channels - including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and the new corporate blog.(Lionel NASCAR)(1-30-2011)
NASCAR 2011: The Game, release delayed: Eutechnyx delays new racing sim from February to March 29 for more polish; will debut on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii. In late September, Activision confirmed it had entered a multiyear deal with Britain-based development studio Eutechnyx to publish multiple NASCAR video games. The first of the bunch, NASCAR 2011: The Game, was pegged for release in February, but that's no longer the case. The delay of game was announced via the game's official forums recently, and Eutechnyx's community manager explained why pushing the title back was a necessary move for the studio. "The main reason is we simply wanted more time to polish it and hopefully make it the experience you guys are craving," reads the statement. "It's never easy to delay a game as it can cause a lot of disappointment, but we genuinely feel that by doing this you guys will be even happier with the end product."(Gamespot)(1-17-2011)
NJ gets NASCAR License Plates: NASCAR fans in New Jersey can start their engines and display new license plates of their favorite drivers. The Motor Vehicle Commission unveiled 12 new plates at Wall Stadium racetrack in Wall Township on Wednesday [Oct 20th]. NASCAR license plates are available by mail for a one-time fee of $60. The plates can be personalized for an additional $50. In addition to the [NJ Native Martin] Truex Jr. plate, fans can choose plates representing: Dale Earnhardt Hall of Fame Commemorative, NASCAR Fan, Mark Martin, Kasey Kahne, Tony Stewart, Matt Kenseth, Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, Ryan Newman, Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr.(Atlantic City Press)(10-23-2010)
Activision and Eutechnyx announce NASCAR the Game 2011: Activision Publishing and leading independent developer Eutechnyx announced the February 2011 release of NASCAR The Game 2011 for Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation3 computer entertainment system, and Wii. With a fresh infusion of real world detail and blistering racing action, NASCAR The Game 2011 completely redefines what fans can expect from a NASCAR racing game.
NASCAR The Game 2011 has been built from the ground up to make a thoroughly new experience. The team started by speaking with the people who know NASCAR best - the fans - and took that insight to the teams, drivers and officials to completely embrace what makes NASCAR America's #1 motorsport.
Players can choose to play as themselves or as one of the sport's real-world drivers as they battle it out for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship. Each pro driver has the AI characteristics of his or her real world counterpart, setting the stage for intense rivalries played out on the track. Damage is meticulously detailed and multi-car wrecks are the most extreme ever experienced in an officially licensed racing game. From the 22 real world tracks to full pit stop strategy action, NASCAR The Game 2011 captures the real atmosphere, sense of speed and spectacle that embodies NASCAR. Players can even feel the thrill of a win with the interactive celebration mode.
The game also includes in-depth multiplayer modes which allow up to 16 players to battle it out for the win online. In both online and offline races, players earn NASCAR experience points which help unlock rewards such as decal packs or special car designs, as well as career sponsorships and special races throughout career mode. Everything you do on the track counts!
Tune in to NASCAR RaceDay on SPEED at 10:00am/et on Sunday October 3 for world premiere of the first official NASCAR The Game 2011 trailer. NASCAR The Game 2011 is slated for a February 2011 release. The game is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information visit www.NASCARTheGame.com.(9-30-3010)
Activision developing new NASCAR video game? Last September, EA Sports president Peter Moore confirmed to GameSpot that Electronic Arts was letting its long-held NASCAR license lapse. Today, game-industry site Gamasutra cites "sources close to the situation" that EA's archrival, Activision, will publish the next installment in the series. The report was also backed up by a less reliable outlet--a post on the EA Sports forums. Poster N0Fear88, a two-year veteran of the site, claims another "inside source" at NASCAR said the title was in development for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii, and would be released two weeks before next February's Dayton 500. In late August, British developer Eutechnyx, the studio behind the racing games Ferrari Challenge and Big Mutha Truckers, accidentally tipped its hand by posting the forums for NASCAR 2011. (The Google cache showing the page can be found here) It is unclear at which of Eutechnyx's four studios the game will be developed. The Gateshead, UK-based shop also has operations in Pittsburgh, Pensylvannia as well as Chengdu and Hong Kong in China. Activision reps had not yet responded to comment as of press time.(GameSpot)(9-24-2010)
NASCAR Teams Licensing Trust Enters Into Joint Venture: The NASCAR Teams Licensing Trust (NTLT) announced that it has formed a joint venture with Lionel Electric Trains to make and sell NASCAR replica die cast race cars. The joint venture is not a traditional licensee agreement. Both NTLT and Lionel will actively manage and develop the business, in which it will be partners. Lionel has plans to offer fans and collectors die-cast models representing all of the NTLT teams and more than 30 NASCAR national series drivers. The joint venture will take over the category from Motorsports Authentics, a Concord, N.C.-based company that will focus on its core competency of trackside retail and be the exclusive die-cast car retailer at NASCAR tracks.(PR)(7-12-2010)
NASCAR Teams Licensing Trust formed: The NASCAR industry announced the official formation of the NASCAR Teams Licensing Trust, an industry operated organization created to provide NASCAR fans with new and innovative licensed products. The Licensing Trust, which along with the sanctioning body is initially composed of NASCAR teams including more than 30 NASCAR national series drivers, will streamline the licensing opportunities and processes for its partners and bring operational efficiency to the entire industry.
The Licensing Trust, which is open to any NASCAR national series race team that chooses to participate, will initially explore merchandising opportunities in four key categories – apparel, collectable die-cast, toys and trackside retail. The Licensing Trust is structured to add licensing categories in the future. NASCAR and the teams will directly manage their respective licensing rights in categories outside the Licensing Trust.
“The complexity and expertise required within the intellectual property management and operations has increased exponentially over the years as NASCAR has grown and expanded globally,” said Brian France, chairman and CEO of NASCAR. “By working together with our teams and their licensing professionals, the Licensing Trust creates a new opportunity for licensees, retailers and sponsors to immediately benefit, and keep the emphasis on, what makes this sport run – our loyal and passionate fans.”
Included in the Licensing Trust alongside NASCAR’s licensing marks are some of the sport’s most popular teams and drivers. The initial participating teams include: Dale Earnhardt, Inc.; Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates; Hendrick Motorsports; Joe Gibbs Racing; JR Motorsports; Michael Waltrip Racing; Penske Racing; Richard Childress Racing; Richard Petty Motorsports; Roush Fenway Racing, and Stewart-Haas Racing.
“The creation of this new organization is one that the fan might not notice today but will receive the benefit from tomorrow and beyond,” said Richard Childress, owner of Richard Childress Racing. “Merchandise in our sport is one of the great ways our fans communicate their passion and support of NASCAR. We want to provide them with the best quality products to do so, and this will help offer them a wider selection of merchandise representing a much bigger offering of drivers.”
In addition to benefitting the sport’s loyal fans, the Licensing Trust will also have a major impact on NASCAR’s licensing model and other key business units. “This new structure will make it more attractive to do business with the teams of NASCAR,” said Joe Gibbs, owner of Joe Gibbs Racing. “The result will be a win-win for our sponsors and our fans.”
The industry controlled Licensing Trust is an independent group managed by a Board of Directors made up of representatives of the initial 11 participating teams and NASCAR. Under the direction of the newly formed Licensing Trust Board of Directors, the NASCAR Licensing staff, located in the NASCAR Plaza in Charlotte, will serve as the on-point representatives for the Trust with the continued support of the individual team licensing representatives. In addition, through NASCAR's participation as a member of the Trust, full integration into the NASCAR Media Group, NASCAR.COM, e-commerce and NASCAR’s marketing, research, media and public relations infrastructure will be made available as well as the collective assets and support of the participating teams.
“This is a landmark moment for our sport and great news for our loyal fans,” said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. “There was a need to improve the structure of this business, and NASCAR and its teams worked together in an unprecedented manner to make this happen.”(NASCAR)(7-8-2010)
Past Collectibles launched: In conjunction with some of the sport’s greatest legends including champions Bobby Allison and David Pearson, the estate of original racing “Bad Boy” Curtis Turner and Hall of Famer Junior Johnson, Smyle Media announced the launch of “Checkered Past Collectibles.” A new and unique line of collectibles will highlight the drivers, teams and machines that make auto racing The Great American Sport. More info at smylemedia.com.(5-24-2010)
Motorsports Authentics bogs down ISC's 2009 finances: International Speedway Corp. saw its net income drop 95 percent from $134.6 million in 2008 to $6.8 million in 2009, with its 50 percent stake in merchandise company Motorsports Authentics costing $77.6 million on its 2009 balance sheet, according to its year-end financial report issued Thursday. The losses for Motorsports Authentics, owned 50-50 by ISC and track-operating rival Speedway Motorsports Inc., include an ISC write-down of its half of the worth of the company by $69.3 million and operating losses for 2009 of $8.3 million. ISC also announced that it believes Motorsports Authentics' value of goodwill and intangible assets is zero as the company has not been able to pay guarantees under its current license agreements. ISC President John Sanders said he did expect a resolution to the Motorsports Authentics issues in the next three to six months. The merchandise company - which licenses the merchandise, has it purchased and also does at-track sales - is looking at streamlining operations. Bankruptcy is still an option, according to ISC's news release. Admissions revenue dropped 17.2 percent from $236.1 million to $195.5 million. Saunders said that ISC sold slightly below 80 percent of its seating capacity for Sprint Cup events, compared with 90-95 percent in previous years. The weighted average ticket price was down 3 percent.(Scene Daily)(1-29-2010)
Motorsports Authentics fights to avoid bankruptcy:
In an all-out effort to avoid bankruptcy, the joint owners of Motorsports Authentics (MA) are attempting to reorganize the troubled licensed merchandise company and settle the millions of dollars it owes several NASCAR teams. MA's 50-50 owners, International Speedway Corp. and Speedway Motorsports Inc., have been in constant contact with the top teams since the end of the season, with one of NASCAR's top executives, senior vice president Paul Brooks, acting as a mediator. It's uncertain exactly how much MA owes the teams, but its contracts with the best-selling organizations such as Hendrick Motorsports, Roush Fenway Racing and Dale Earnhardt Inc. guarantee each of them close to $3 million annually, industry insiders say. MA, which has lost money in three of its four years in existence, has been paying a portion of those guarantees, about a third to half, based on their merchandise sales. Officials from ISC and SMI declined comment, citing the continuing nature of the negotiations. But team officials characterize the talks as frustrating because there remains no clear merchandise plan for the sport and the season-opening Daytona 500 is less than two months away. MA is responsible for most of the sport's trackside retail activity and much of its licensed merchandise, although that model could change as part of the company's restructuring. Most team officials say they're willing to forgive some of the debt from MA, but they need a clearer understanding of the plan going forward before agreeing to a settlement. MA generated more than $200 million in revenue in 2008, the only year it has turned a profit, but MA's revenue this year will be a little more than $100 million, industry insiders say. The die-cast division accounts for a little less than half of the company's revenue.(
Sporting News / SportsBusiness Journal)(12-23-2009)
Investors in a NASCAR merchandise wholesale business cheated: A Los Angeles man has pleaded not guilty to running a Ponzi scheme that cheated about 50 investors in a NASCAR merchandise wholesale business out of at least $10 million. Federal prosecutors say 63-year-old Eliott Dresher was arraigned Monday and ordered held pending trial in U.S. District Court. The U.S. attorney's office says Dresher claimed investors' money would be used to buy NASCAR apparel and sell it to stores. He claimed he had $70 million in various accounts and his business would return 20 percent every six months.
Prosecutors say Dresher ran his scheme for about 10 years before it collapsed last year when he couldn't make payments to investors.(Associated Press)(12-15-2009)
Dale Jr. still leads drivers in sales: Danica Patrick has won just 1 of 81 IRL races (1.23%). But Dale Earnhardt Jr. has Patrick easily beat on that winning percentage. “Little E” has won 1 of the last 129 Sprint Cup races (0.77%) and he’s 0 for the last 51.
Yet, Earnhardt seems to be humming along in the business world. This week, Nationwide announced this week it was renewing its deal with him and we just got the NASCAR.com SuperStore sales rankings and guess what? Earnhardt is in his familiar No. 1 spot. Here’s the list of the Top 10 best-selling drivers on the Web site:
Top 10 Best-Selling Drivers
1. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
2. Tony Stewart
3. Jeff Gordon
4. Jimmie Johnson
5. NASCAR-branded items
6. Kyle Busch
7. Carl Edwards
8. Kasey Kahne
9. Mark Martin
10. Dale Earnhardt Sr.(CNBC.com)(10-14-2009)
Bankruptcy coming for Motorsports Authentics? Motorsports Authentics, an equally owned merchandise joint venture between race-track owners International Speedway Corp (ISCA.O) and Speedway Motorsports (TRK.N), has received default notices from certain licensors, regulatory filings show. In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Speedway Motorsports said Motorsports Authentics had stopped paying certain guaranteed royalties in its third quarter, and was attempting to renegotiate agreements with all significant licensors of NASCAR merchandising. "MA is exploring other business strategies to turn its business around. If such efforts are not sufficient or timely, MA could ultimately pursue bankruptcy," the filing said.(Reuters)(10-7-2009)
NASCAR, teams consider streamlining licensing business: NASCAR and the sport's top teams are discussing ways to rescue their troubled licensing business by bringing all of the team and driver rights under one banner, marking the first major step toward creating NASCAR Properties. Those rights currently are splintered from team to team, which means a licensee might visit five teams to acquire five licenses. A centralized agency such as NASCAR Properties would make all of those licenses available from one entity like the other professional leagues do. The groundwork for NASCAR Properties was set Sept. 24 during a day-long meeting at the governing body's new office in Charlotte. Paul Brooks, NASCAR's senior vice president and a driving force behind the idea, said officials from his office have been meeting with teams individually since the summer, but the summit at NASCAR's office brought all of those executives together for the first time. "We are exploring the potential benefits of a unified industry approach to licensing," Brooks said. "The ongoing dialogue with all stakeholders has been very positive and collaborative, and that is truly encouraging."(in part from Sporting News NASCAR Wire Service/SportsBusiness Journal)(9-30-2009)
EA Sports: 'No plans' for new NASCAR game: The future of EA Sports' NASCAR franchise of racing games has been in doubt since February, when The Sporting News reported the publisher wouldn't be making a new installment of the series this year. Speaking with GameSpot for a Dreamcast retrospective on next week's episode of the HotSpot podcast, EA Sports president Peter Moore has removed all uncertainty from the equation. "There are no plans right now for NASCAR from EA," Moore said. "We had a great relationship over the years that I thoroughly enjoyed when I first got here. Unfortunately…we had to make some tough trade-offs. We've had to redeploy some of those folks. A number of the NASCAR team has moved over now to EA Sports MMA, which will be shipping next year. [We're] still a huge fan of NASCAR, but no plans right now to develop any further games for NASCAR from EA Sports."(Gamespot)(9-3-2009)
Memorabilia store in Canada forced to change name: A New Brunswick businessman and long-time racing fan has been forced to change the name of his tiny memorabilia shop under the threat of a lawsuit by NASCAR legend Darrell Waltrip. Randy Nicholson, who has sold NASCAR merchandise in Woodstock since 2001, has been accused of infringing on a trademark that wasn't registered by Waltrip until four years after Nicholson's store was established. Borrowing from a catchphrase issued by the Fox Sports commentator at the start of every race, Nicholson initially called his business Boogity Boogity Racing, and then later changed the name to Boogity Sportswear. On Friday, he received a cease-and-desist letter from an Ontario law firm representing Waltrip, a former Winston Cup champion who says, "Boogity, boogity, boogity, let's go racin', boys" each time the green flag drops. Waltrip registered the catch phrase as a trademark in Canada on Oct. 31, 2005. "My first instinct was that I was going to fight (him), but I don't have the means,'' Nicholson said Tuesday as he stood behind the counter in his store, which also sells hockey, wrestling and ultimate fighting souvenirs. "I am in no position to fight Darrell Waltrip. He has deeper pockets than I do." Nicholson said he registered his business with the federal government in 2001, and paid more than $1,200 to cover the cost of a search that was conducted to ensure the name wasn't being used in Canada by anyone else. At one point, he also operated stores under the Boogity banner in Moncton and Saint John, but he never received a complaint until last week, when a sheriff delivered a letter from MBM, an intellectual property legal group in Ottawa, sent on Waltrip's behalf. "From a trademark point of view, he is infringing Darrell Waltrip's registered Canadian trademark,'' Scott Miller, the head of the litigation group at MBM, said Tuesday. "Taking intellectual property without permission is as reprehensible as taking anything else." Nicholson argues that he has never infringed on Waltrip's rights. He says he has never sold anything that carried Waltrip's trademark, and the few Boogity-related items he sold bore a logo that he developed on his own. Nicholson has until next Tuesday to wipe his shop clean of the word "boogity" and has already taken down his signs. Until he comes up with something better, he will call his business R&B Embroidery, to accentuate the fact that he does printing and embroidery and manufactures vinyl signs. Nicholson said it will cost him between $5,000 and $8,000 to register a new name, put up signs, change his business cards and letterhead, order new cheques, change the way his phone is listed, and set up a new website.(Telegraph Journal)(9-2-2009)
UPDATE: "It's unfortunate to read the articles about Mr. Nicholson's store, as they do not tell the whole story", responded Van Colley, Darrell Waltrip's longtime Business Manager. "The truth is DW first came up with Boogity Boogity Boogity and then the name of the store appeared. "Mr. Nicholson only used Boogity as a result of DW's earlier use on FOX. In my opinion, it is not a coincidence that DW started his broadcasts with Boogity, Boogity, Boogity in March of 2002 and then 9 months later, with his business partner, Richard Poulin, that Mr. Nicholson incorporated a company called BOOGIDDY BOOGIDDY RACING INC on November 6, 2002. He then changed the corporate name to Boogity Boogity Boogity Racing Inc on March 3, 2003. That company was dissolved on July 25, 2008. Then the store operated under the name Boogity Sportswear. The shop went as far as applying for DW's trademark of Boogity, Boogity Boogity which was rejected in late 2007 by the Canadian Trademark Office. My point is there is no way Mr. Nicholson should be surprised about what has happened. It is odd that the shop filed for DW's trademark. Whether Mr. Nicholson is a small business owner or the owner of a large corporation is irrelevant to the matter. You simply can't take some one's legally trademarked intellectual property and attempt to profit from it. Common sense tells me that I can't simply throw up some golden arches in my front yard, hang a sign that says McDonalds on it and fire up my grill to attempt to sell some hamburgers simply because I want to. We appreciate Mr. Nicholson being a NASCAR fan and his selling of legally licensed NASCAR merchandise in his store. We also wish no ill will to Mr. Nicholson, despite his comment of wanting to "tear out DW's wind pipe." At the same time, I won't apologize for protecting DW's legal rights. We, like NASCAR, the drivers and teams in our sport fight this kind of thing all the time."(9-3-2009)
T-shirt seller arrested at Pocono Raceway on counterfeiting charge: A Michigan man was arrested and charged with selling knock-off NASCAR shirts at Pocono Raceway on Monday instead of officially licensed merchandise. Michael Quatrine, 45, has been arrested for selling fakes before. According to Pocono Mountain Regional Police, Quatrine has been arrested in California, Delaware, Michigan and South Carolina and other states for trademark counterfeiting. "We do counterfeit enforcement at tracks around the country. If not watched it can become pervasive," said Tom Sullivan, NASCAR's manager of business communications. Although NASCAR was not inspecting at Pocono on Monday, track workers were on the lookout for fake merchandise. Pocono Raceway employee Roger Green told police he saw Quatrine selling counterfeit Pocono Raceway T-shirts and detained him until police arrived. While investigating the complaint, a man told police he had purchased two shirts from Quatrine for $5 each and showed police the shirts. They matched the shirts Quatrine had in his possession. According the criminal complaint, Pocono Raceway employee Looie McNally identified the shirts as fakes by comparing labels and also showing the Sprint/NASCAR markings were fraudulent and misbranded. He was charged with trademark counterfeiting, a third-degree felony as a repeat offense, and arraigned by Magisterial District Judge Richard Claypool. Quatrine was being held in Monroe County Correctional Facility in lieu of $5,000 bail. Pocono Raceway spokesperson Bob Pleban said the track had no comment on the arrest. "It's not just about the loss of revenue to drivers and teams," said Joe Mattes, interim president of Motorsports Authentics. As the largest licensee in NASCAR, a vendor for more than 80 drivers, Motorsports Authentics makes more than 90% of the diecast products fans find trackside and on stores shelves in Wal-Mart and Kmart.(Pocono Record)(8-5-2009)
- "Kids Stop" rig at race tracks: Motorsports Authentics is letting kids take the green flag at NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race tracks with the launch of its newest trackside merchandise rig, "The Kids Stop." Making its official debut at Daytona International Speedway, "The Kids Stop" is dedicated entirely to NASCAR-related merchandise for youth. The rig will carry a wide variety of items featuring some of NASCAR's most popular drivers so even the smallest racing fan can show his colors. The rig will join Motorsports Authentics' trailers at NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events throughout the remainder of the 2009 season.(Motorsports Authentics PR)(7-2-2009)
- NASCAR Kids Dolls: NASCAR and Original Appalachian Artworks have joined forces with leading toymaker JAKKS Pacific to produce NASCAR 'Kids, a crop of distinctly designed Cabbage Patch Kids in likenesses celebrating NASCAR's top drivers. The first NASCAR 'Kid to speed to the checkered flag will be Dale Earnhardt Jr. NASCAR's most popular driver is scheduled to debut his 'Kid counterpart on QVC Friday, May 22 during QVC's For Race Fans Only broadcast at 8:00pm/et. The next NASCAR 'Kid to hit the road will be Jeff Gordon, who is scheduled to make his appearance in Fall 2009. NASCAR 'Kids, will have the signature birthmark of Xavier Roberts and an authentic birth certificate showing the driver's actual birth date. The Adoption Fee (SRP) is $45.12.(CNN Money)(5-21-2009)
- Motorsports Authentics streamlines: Motorsports Authentics, a joint merchandising venture by the country's two largest speedway owners, laid off 40 employees Wednesday, said Joe Mattes, the company's new interim president. The cuts represent about 15% of the Charlotte-based company's workforce, and between 250 and 300 employees remain, Mattes said. Named interim president last week, Mattes said he and senior managers spent recent days analyzing the company's workforce and processes before cutting the 40 positions – 33 of them full-time. "It was from the manager level to the customer service level,” he said of the layoffs. “Every facet of the organization was reviewed.” Motorsports Authentics laid off several other employees earlier this year, but Mattes said he didn't know how many employees were let go before Wednesday. Mattes also wouldn't say how much money would be saved with the layoffs, saying only that “it's significant." While the sour economy was one factor, Mattes said the layoffs were mostly intended to improve efficiency at Motorsports Authentics, which is owned by Concord-based Speedway Motorsports and International Speedway Corp. of Daytona Beach. Speedway Motorsports Inc. is the company headed by Bruton Smith. International Speedway Corp. is the sister company of the France family's NASCAR. “We think strongly these changes will have positive effects. They're going to increase sales and make things happen,” Mattes said. “By doing this, we're in a position to be a stronger company."(Charlotte Observer)(3-19-2009)
- Motorsports Authentics names new Interim President: Motorsports Authentics named Joe Mattes as interim President of the motorsports merchandising company. A 14-year veteran within the NASCAR industry, Mattes brings a strong track record of licensing and merchandising success to Motorsports Authentics. In his previous roles as President of Sports Image, Co-Founder and President of Chase Racewear, and Vice President of the NASCAR.com Superstore, Mattes demonstrated experienced leadership in the development and promotion of numerous merchandising platforms involving multiple drivers, teams and sponsors in the sport. During that time, he was successful in maximizing returns and expanding value and demand for all entities involved. Mattes will continue in his current role as Vice President of Licensing for JR Motorsports. Motorsports Authentics board member Don Hawk, who has been serving as interim President for Motorsports Authentics, will maintain an ongoing active role in the company’s operations while retaining his position as Vice President of Business Affairs for Speedway Motorsports, Inc.(Motorsports Authentics PR)(3-11-2009)
- "Earnhardt and Elvis" show car unveiled in Las Vegas: Two of the greatest icons in American sport and music were celebrated Friday when a #3 race car was unveiled bearing the images of NASCAR great Dale Earnhardt and the King of rock 'n' roll, Elvis Presley. Meant to continue the legacies of both men, the "Earnhardt and Elvis" car paired these icons together as part of the "Enduring Legends" series that recently saw the Intimidator share the hood of his famous #3 Chevy with country music great Johnny Cash and cowboy film icon John Wayne.(NASCAR.com)(3-3-2009)
- Change at Motorsports Authentics UPDATE: Motorsports Authentics (MA) announced today that President & CEO Mark Dyer has left the company effective immediately. Don Hawk, a member of MA's Board of Managers, has been appointed on an interim basis to oversee the day-to-day operational and financial management of MA while a search for Dyer's replacement is conducted.(MA PR)(1-21-2009)
UPDATE: Motorsports Authentics announced that Jim Morris has been promoted to vice president and general manager of MA. Longtime NASCAR veteran Chris Williams has also been promoted to vice president of trackside for the sport’s largest licensee. Morris is a savvy business executive with 25 plus years of experience in which he has focused heavily on retail and supply management processes. Before joining MA in the fall of 2007 to help lead the company turnaround, Morris spent time at Americrown, Sports Authority and Russell Athletic. Williams, whose history in the sport dates back to the late 1980s, has been with MA as its director of trackside since its inception in 2006. Prior to International Speedway Corp. and Speedway Motorsports coming together in a joint venture to form MA from the companies formerly known as Action Performance and Team Caliber, Williams worked for 10 years at Action and seven years prior to that at Dale Earnhardt-owned Sports Image.(Motorsports Authentics PR)(1-28-2009)
- Revell stops making NASCAR model kits: From the revell.com site: Over the years we have been pleased to provide you with the finest NASCAR plastic model kits featuring the most popular drivers. Regrettably however, over the last several years we have faced increasing licensing costs that are greater than our increase in sales. Despite our best efforts to secure reasonable licensing terms for NASCAR model kits in general, and the Car of Tomorrow in particular, we have been unable to develop a program that allows us to market the product at a viable price point. Consequently, we will not be issuing a kit on the Car of Tomorrow and, in fact, will be exiting the NASCAR business altogether. We will discontinue all sales of NASCAR plastic kits by February 28, 2009.(revell.com)(12-10-2008)
- NASCAR Kart Racing: Five things you need to know: Mario Kart meets Jimmie Johnson. That's the simplest way to breakdown EA Sports' sudden shift in direction for its NASCAR series. Produced exclusively for the Wii (and now under the Freestyle brand), NASCAR Kart Racing looks to combine the arcade-nature of power-ups and tracks that do more than turn left with actual NASCAR strategy like teamwork and drafting. "The Wii is the number one console in North America, and when you look at the Wii audience, they're not the traditional hard-core gamers," explains Ryan Stradling, the game's Senior Development Director and the founder of EA North Carolina. "The Wii really appeals to the whole family and we want to take the NASCAR series in that direction, so that the whole family could play together and have that living room experience". So what should you expect? How about Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart dropping oil slicks behind them as they race for first, the Dover monster starring as an actual monster on the track, and teammates who are able to work together to slingshot one another to first place. See more at ESPN Video Games.(12-4-2008)
- Johnson helps push sales up: NASCAR fans across the country are celebrating Jimmie Johnson’s third straight Sprint Cup Championship in record fashion, as sales of his championship merchandise on the NASCAR.com Superstore are up 44% over 2007. In addition to the strong fan reaction on NASCAR.com, the Racing Collectables Club of America (RCCA), the premier club for motorsports fans and collectors, has also experienced a wave of enthusiasm for everything and anything related to Johnson and the #48 Lowe’s Chevrolet team. In fact, RCCA championship product sales are up 137% over last year when Johnson captured his second consecutive Cup crown. Shortly after Johnson crossed the finish line in Miami in his #48 Lowe’s Chevrolet, Motorsports Authentics, through its Chase Authentics and Action Racing Collectables brands, went to market with a full array of licensed products commemorating Johnson’s record-tying third straight Sprint Cup Championship. Mark Dyer, president and CEO of Motorsports Authentics, was pleased with the numbers, though not entirely surprised, given the historical significance of Johnson’s victory. “Jimmie has been one of the most popular drivers in the sport with strong merchandise sales, especially given his relatively short tenure in NASCAR,” Dyer said. “I think collectors and fans recognize the amazing feat he’s accomplished and are getting behind him to show their support. They know his memorabilia from this third championship will ultimately be quite valuable in the marketplace and they want to be a part of the excitement.” All 2008 Championship apparel and die-cast collectables are available at the NASCAR.com Superstore and rccamembers.com. Fans can also visit Motorsports Authentics authorized dealers across the country to learn more about these products. To find a local dealer, visit goracing.com and click on the dealer locator at the bottom of the page.(Motorsports Authentics PR)(11-27-2008)
- Richard Petty stamps: Premier Postage, a leading provider of officially licensed postage and collectibles, announced an agreement with Petty Enterprises to introduce a series of U.S. postage that honors the career of NASCAR legend Richard Petty. "We feel privileged to be working with a racing icon," said Mike Samora, Founder and President of Premier Postage. "The products we plan to introduce will represent the first time Richard Petty has been featured on real U.S. postage."
"This is really quite an honor," said Petty. "I've had my photo on a lot of different things, but this is really unique. What's neat is that fans can collect the postage or use it on their mail." The first postage collectible will pay tribute to Petty's 50 years in NASCAR - both as a driver and team owner. The collectible will feature a limited edition postage stamp on a 5" x 7" commemorative photo sheet. Each sheet will retail for $7.99 on NASCAR.com Superstore, and select retail outlets.(PR)(11-12-2008)
- Toolbox Treasures Honors NASCAR's Past: Toolbox Treasures announced their entry into the thrilling world of NASCAR licensing. Toolbox Treasures, LLC is a new company with a strategic vision of developing niche categories with unique products that are designed specifically for the collector and for the collector market. The company's focus will be an emphasis on historical die-casts. Toolbox Treasures is expected to release six collectible die-casts in 2008. Each project will have strict limitations in the number of each die-cast produced. This is designed to make every piece an immediate collectible. The first releases, which just came out are the 1957 Earnhardt driven Oldsmobile convertible as well as a 1957 Oldsmobile sedan also driven by Earnhardt and owned by Petty Enterprises. Less than 2,300 die-casts of each will be produced making this an instant hit in the market. In addition, many of the die-casts will be autographed by the King himself Richard Petty. Toolbox Treasures offer the products that bring the history of NASCAR to life. More info at toolboxtreasures.com.(8-23-2008)
- NASCAR slashing prices on memorabilia: Borrowing a page from late President Gerald Ford, the people who sell authentic NASCAR memorabilia are trying to help cash-strapped fans by lowering prices. Motorsports Authentics said it would cut prices of Sprint Cup team jackets by $30 and standard die-cast car models by $10, among other reductions, starting with this weekend's race at Daytona International Speedway. The twill jackets normally retail for $120 and the die-casts for about $75. The promotion is called "Whip Inflation Now," the name given to Ford's attempt in 1974 to encourage the public's help in curbing rising prices. "We know times are hard for all Americans right now," said Mark Dyer, chief executive of Motorsports Authentics, adding that the price cuts apply to sales at tracks and online.(Los Angeles Times)(7-4-2008)
- Goodyear to give new keepskae for winners: Once the cheers subside, the "hat dance" is over and the champagne dries, what is left from a visit to Victory Lane besides the memories? Now, thanks to The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, Sprint Cup team members will have a keepsake that honors their hard work and commemorates each race win. Goodyear, the exclusive official tire supplier for NASCAR's top three series, today announced a new tradition for the Sprint Cup Series, its Victory Lane Medallion program. Now, each week in victory lane, the winning team owner, crew chief and driver will be awarded a three-inch medallion to go along with 100 two-inch medallions to reward team members. Each Victory Lane Medallion is die struck on both sides to resemble a mounted Goodyear Eagle tire. On one side there will also include the word "Winner" above the specific track logo, as well as the race date and Goodyear's winning left-side tire code. The opposite side will be stamped with Goodyear's right-side tire code and will be sequentially numbered up to 100.
"We at Goodyear couldn't be more excited about the Victory Lane Medallion program," said Greg Stucker, Goodyear's Director of Race Tire Sales. "We know what it takes to reach victory lane -- the hard work, dedication and commitment. Our people go through the same things to get Goodyear Eagles to the track each week. So we wanted to honor the efforts of each winning team with something they can cherish for a lifetime, as a remembrance of their accomplishment." In addition to rewarding team members, there is another group that warrants
consideration in this equation -- the fans. A limited number of sets of the complete fan version of the Victory Lane Medallions – called the Goodyear Eagle Race Win Medallion Set -- are available for purchase through the Racing Collectibles Club of America (RCCA) by calling
1-800-952-0708. The Goodyear Eagle Collection is only available through the RCCA offering. The sets are in limited edition, sequentially numbered and come with a die-cut leather carrying folio.
The Goodyear Victory Lane Medallion program is run in conjunction with SportCoins, which produces elite collectible medallions. Its coin products are officially licensed by NASCAR, the International Speedway Corporation, Speedway Motorsports, Inc., Indianapolis Motor Speedway and virtually all NASCAR drivers and teams..(Goodyear PR)(7-5-2008)
- Vanity license plates: Earnhardt style: On Monday at a license plate bureau in Kannapolis, NC. Martha Earnhardt [Dale Earnhardt's mother] joined Dale Jr.’s mother Brenda Jackson, and his sister Kelley Earnhardt Elledge to show off their specialized NASCAR license plates. The state Department of Motor Vehicles offers 25 specialty NASCAR plates, including one with Dale Earnhardt, Jr.’s number 88. On the honor, Martha says, “I never thought I’d have a license plate for my grandson.” Hers reads, "GMAW," short for Grandma. Jackson’s reads "MOMA" and Elledge’s "1SIS." It was a charity that got the Earnhardt family involved in this effort. Part of the proceeds from the sale of the plates goes to the North Carolina Motorsports Foundation, which then funds programs and scholarships for students who want to work in the industry. Jackson hopes NASCAR fans get behind the effort, saying, “The whole thing is a win, win situation. You’ve got a nice looking tag that you can put your mark on and help a lot of kids out. So, I’m very excited about it.” The special plates add $30 to your yearly registration fee -- more if you want them personalized. Of that, $20 is sent to the foundation. In all, there are 25 drivers to choose from. The plates are on sale now through the state DMV website at www.ncdot.org/dmv.(WCNC.com)(6-11-2008)
- NASCAR and teams fighting counterfeiters: NASCAR, apparel company Motorsports Authentics and several teams have received an injunction over renegade merchandise, and at least 10 people have had unauthorized merchandise seized since the start of the 2008 season. The teams and NASCAR received a temporary restraining order Feb. 8 in U.S. District Court in Charlotte that allowed for the seizure of merchandise that infringed on their trademarks. On Thursday, the U.S. District Court issued a preliminary injunction against producers of counterfeit merchandise. Materials can be seized within a 10-mile radius of a track from 48 hours before qualifying to 24 hours after the completion of a race. Ten individuals were listed in the most recent order as violating the order. None of those individuals challenged the injunction during a hearing Thursday.
Among the teams and drivers that joined NASCAR in the suit are Richard Childress Racing, Roush Fenway Racing, Joe Gibbs Racing, Hendrick Motorsports, Jeff Gordon, JR Motorsports, Rusty Wallace Inc., Penske Racing, Dale Earnhardt Inc., Gillett Evernham Motorsports, Red Bull Racing, Michael Wlatrip Racing and Chip Ganassi Racing. NASCAR and/or teams occasionally file lawsuits in order to seize merchandise from unlicensed dealers.(SceneDaily.com)(3-1-2008)
- Drivers featured on Poker Chips: In a joint effort, Chipco International, one of the leading gaming chip manufacturers in the US, Premiere Sports Alliances and Get-Etched, Inc, both motorsports industry marketing and licensing agencies, today announce a unique gaming chip concept featuring NASCAR drivers. The launch of this nationwide program occurred Thursday at the Seminole Tribe of Florida's six Florida casinos, including Seminole Hard Rock Tampa. This program will feature NASCAR drivers Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Kasey Kahne, Jeff Burton and Dale Earnhardt, Sr. on gaming chips distributed and featured at casinos throughout the US. The program will generate excitement and interest for consumers and collectors alike and will focus on casinos surrounding race markets throughout the season. Seminole Hard Rock Tampa unveiled the first chips Thursday at 3:00pm as the launch of a year-long promotion. Seminole Gaming will be promoting and featuring various quantities of $5.00 chips throughout their casinos. Additionally, special poker table layouts have been created to further drive excitement and to promote the driver chips.(2-18-2008)
- NASCAR Specialty License Plate Now Available To Florida Residents: The NASCAR Foundation, in partnership with the Florida Sports Foundation (FSF), has announced a new NASCAR-themed, official Florida license plate that will be available to fans for purchase at this weekend's Ford 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Net proceeds from the sale of the specialty plate will benefit The NASCAR Foundation and the Florida Sports Foundation. The FSF will distribute proceeds to support the marketing of motorsports-related tourism in the state and 50% to support The NASCAR Foundation's charitable organizations. Last year alone, The NASCAR Foundation donated $250,000 to Speediatrics, a racing-themed pediatrics unit in Daytona Beach and Homestead, Fla. This weekend, Florida residents traveling to Homestead-Miami Speedway can pick up their plate at a mobile FLOW (Florida Licensing On Wheels) unit stationed at the track. The units are equipped with the technology and ability to bring valuable DHSMV services right to the customers, including the ability to issue specialty plates on the spot. The units will be parked near Gate 11 at Homestead-Miami Speedway from Friday, Nov. 16 through Sunday, Nov. 18. To purchase a NASCAR specialty plate, fans must prove that they have a vehicle registered in the state of Florida, a valid Florida driver’s license and proof of insurance. The annual specialty license plate is $27. Residents not traveling to the track this weekend may still purchase a NASCAR specialty plate at their local Department of Motor Vehicles. For more information, please visit www.hsmv.state.fl.us.(NASCAR PR)(11-16-2007)
- New NASCAR Board Game: NASCAR fans can have their own race for the Nextel Cup with Patch Products' new 2007 Chase for the NASCAR Nextel Cup licensed board game. The new for 2007 game features drivers who qualified for The 2007 Chase for the Nextel Cup, which is NASCAR's version of playoffs. The 12 drivers who are highlighted in the game along with their race cars are: Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Carl Edwards, Kurt Busch, Denny Hamlin, Martin Truex Jr., Matt Kenseth, Kyle Busch, Jeff Burton, Kevin Harvick and Clint Bowyer. The drivers were determined Sept. 8 after the Chevy Rock and Roll 400 race at Richmond International Speedway. Manufacturing of the game in the United States started immediately after the race so it will be on store shelves in October. The 2007 Chase for the NASCAR Nextel Cup board game is for 2 to 10 players, ages 8 to adult. For more information, visit www.patchproducts.com.(PR)(10-23-2007)
- Sam Bass teams up with Motorsports Authentics: Motorsports Authentics announced a partnership with NASCAR artist Sam Bass that will allow the leader in the design, promotion, marketing and distribution of licensed motorsports merchandise to offer a "value-added" surprise to Action Racing Collectables (ARC) die-cast and other merchandise and memorabilia. This worldwide licensing deal will have Bass creating original pieces of art exclusively for use by Motorsports Authentics and the company's top brands such as ARC and Chase Authentics. More info at sambass.com or goracing.com.(10-11-2007)
- NASCAR plate expected to be ready by January in FL:
Just in time for next year's Daytona 500, Florida race fans should be able to buy NASCAR license plates.
Gov. Charlie Crist and the state Cabinet are scheduled to vote Sept. 19 on the design of a new NASCAR plate. If all goes well, the plates will go on sale in January. The extra cost per plate is $25 with a $2 processing fee.(Daytona Beach News Journal)(9-8-2007)
- Motorsports Authentics, the leader in the design, promotion, marketing and distribution of licensed motorsports merchandise, announced the launch of a full line of Dale Earnhardt Jr., merchandise commemorating the Elvis Presley 30th Anniversary paint scheme that will adorn the famous No. 8 Budweiser Chevrolet on Sept. 8 at the Chevy Rock & Roll 400 (ABC, 7pm/et). Earnhardt Jr.'s No. 8 Budweiser Chevrolet is a predominantly white scheme with black and red highlights and features Elvis' image on the hood and rear quarter panels, plus the King's image and "Elvis 30th" on the deck lid for the Chevy Rock and Roll 400 at Richmond International Raceway. The car was unveiled on Aug. 13, on the front steps of Elvis' Graceland home and was on display during Elvis Week in the Elvis Auto Museum. Presley, who revolutionized American pop music with his earthy singing style and became a hero to two generations of music fans, died 30 years ago at his home in Memphis, Tenn.
Motorsports Authentics, in an effort to commemorate this special partnership between the King of Rock 'n' Roll and NASCAR's most popular driver, has made a full line of merchandise available for racing fans and Elvis supporters worldwide. Included in the Earnhardt/Elvis 30th line of merchandise are die-cast collectible cars, tee-shirts, decals, magnets, guitar bottle openers, twill jackets, collector pins and much more. Product will be available at mass retail, authorized dealer outlets, trackside and on QVC and the NASCAR.com Superstore.
Product is also available through the Racing Collectables Club of America (RCCA).
"The King of Rock 'n' Roll and the current king of NASCAR coming together is a fan's dream come true," said Mark Dyer, president and CEO of Motorsports Authentics. "By making product available at various different channels, we're going to allow this partnership to live on through collector items well past Sept. 8, when Earnhardt Jr.'s Elvis Pressley 30th Anniversary car hits the track as Junior attempts to qualify for the Chase for the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup."(Motorsports Authentics PR)(9-8-2007)
- Action Brand to be brought back: Motorsports Authentics announced the re-launch of the Action Racing Collectables (ARC) brand for its core line of die-cast. Joining Motorsports Authentics' President and CEO Mark Dyer today at the press event at Bristol Motor Speedway was Action Performance founder Fred Wagenhals as well as several current and former Nextel Cup Series drivers that are distinguished as the top 10 die-cast producers of all-time. Launched in 1993, ARC was the flagship brand of Action Performance Companies, known now as Motorsports Authentics, and was developed with four guiding elements: developing and maintaining exclusive licenses with top drivers, manufacturing controlled quantities, streamlining distribution and demanding high quality products. Motorsports Authentics' reintroduction of the Action brand to its die-cast line leaves no doubt that the company is "Still the Choice of Champions."
"Action is one of the great brand names and traditions in the history of NASCAR merchandise," Dyer said. "We are excited to bring back this terrific brand by popular demand and appreciate the involvement of Action founder Fred Wagenhals in helping design our 2008 product line. Our Action motto for 2008 rings true as we certainly are 'Still the Choice of Champions.'" Motorsports Authentics markets and distributes its line of die-cast and other product through a variety of channels including its Authorized Dealer network, the Racing Collectables Club of America (RCCA), QVC, GoRacing.com, Trackside at racing events, direct corporate promotions, mass retail and department stores, specialty dealers and select online retailers. Fans and collectors expecting and demanding the highest quality product can look for Action-branded die-cast beginning in 2008.(Motorsports Authentics PR)(8-25-2007)
- New Motorsports Authentics leader will try creative changes: The new head of NASCAR's largest merchandising agency will try to help the company become profitable and also try to create items that fans want to buy. That sounds simple, but considering that Motorsports Authentics represents many teams, that isn't always easy. Fans might flock to the merchandise haulers of a few select drivers but the company also is in the business of marketing merchandise for drivers not as popular. Mark Dyer, former vice president for licensing and consumer products at NASCAR, took over Motorsports Authetics a couple of weeks ago and has the task of making it profitable. The company is a split venture between Speedway Motorpsorts and International Speedway Corp., which each own 50%, and SMI reported $3.2 million in losses (for its half of the company) in 2006, Motorsports Authentics' first full year in operation. Some of those losses included the cost of merging the two companies that were bought to create Motorsports Authetics - Team Caliber and Action Performance. "We're dedicated to selling as many drivers as possible," Dyer said last week. "We have a ton of drivers in our portfolio. One of the questions this industry faces is how to make more drivers successful from a licensing standpoint. "Obviously you have the ones at the top that sell the vast majority of merchandise, but every team, every driver, every sponsor wants to be represented and that's the challenge in the economic model is how to represent them. We're committed to having their product available, but I think the question is where can the product be available that is the most cost effective way that it can be done for us as a business." The company has about 500 employees and has 49 merchandise haulers that go race to race. It deals with more than 200 licensees.(full story at SceneDaily.com)(7-5-2007)
- Dale Jr. Merchandise Still Selling Well: Sales of Dale Earnhardt Jr. merchandise has skyrocketed 107 percent in the week since NASCAR's most popular driver said he was leaving his late father's company at the end of the season. The surge surprised industry experts, who believed sales of Earnhardt's red No. 8 Budweiser Chevrolet merchandise would dip while he searches for a new team, number and maybe even a new sponsor.(Associated Press)(5-17-2007)
- Florida Senate Approves NASCAR License Plate: Florida may not be getting the NASCAR Hall of Fame, but racing fans could soon be able to buy a specialty stock-car license plate. The Florida Senate unanimously approved a bill Monday that creates a NASCAR license plate as well as several other specialty tags. The House still has to approve the tag, but [the bill sponsor Sen Carey] Baker said he is confident that will happen. Proceeds from the annual $25 specialty fee charged for each of the plates will go to NASCAR; The NASCAR Foundation, a charitable group; and the Florida Sports Foundation, a state group that promotes sports. If the bill becomes law, Florida will join nine other states in offering NASCAR license plates. In 2005, lawmakers approved a NASCAR plate to boost Daytona Beach's bid for the NASCAR Hall of Fame. The plate was expected to generate $1.5 million a year for the effort. The plate was contingent on Daytona Beach getting the hall, and because the museum went to Charlotte, N.C., it was never created.(Orlando Sentinel)(5-1-2007)
- NASCAR license plate plan crashes, burns in Illinois: A plan to offer Illinois motorists the chance to buy NASCAR license plates is stuck on pit row with a flat tire. Legislation sponsored by state Rep. Bob Flider, D-Mount Zion, failed to receive enough votes in the House Thursday and was sent back for a tune-up. “I’m going to try and resolve the concerns I heard today,” Flider said. Flider had sought to bring NASCAR plates to Illinois as a way to celebrate the popular stock car racing series. The plates, already available in several other states, would cost $35 more than standard plates and would allow motorists to pick plates featuring their favorite drivers. But, state Rep. John Fritchey, D-Chicago, questioned whether the state should be paying NASCAR for the right to use their logo. “I think people should think twice about this,” said Fritchey. The legislation is House Bill 946.(the Pantagraph)(3-9-2007)
- NASCAR Stamps available: NASCAR fans and collectors looking to support their favorite drivers can now do so in a way previously unavailable - by mailing it in. Backed by a lineup of impressive cars and drivers, Xpress It Postage introduces the first-ever United States postage officially licensed by the individual race teams and drivers, featuring cars and drivers on First Class and Postcard postage. Xpress It Postage's lineup features the first-ever, actual U.S. Postage to be released featuring an official racing stock car. The inaugural release, a 39-cent First Class offering, depicts the historic #3 Richard Childress Racing, GM Goodwrench Chevy. The postage is being made available in sheets of 10, and as part of two limited edition cachet envelopes. Non-cancelled cachets will also be available. Other 39-cent postage includes the #24 Jeff Gordon DuPont Chevy, the #9 Kasey Kahne Dodge and the #48 Jimmie Johnson Lowe's Chevry and more. Gordon is also the subject of the first 24-cent postcard postage, playing off his car number. Releases will eventually be available in both 39-cent and 24-cent denominations. Future Xpress It Postage releases will feature the work of artist Garry Hill, of Garry Hill Automotive Fine Art, the Art of History. All postage releases will be available for a limited time only and some will be produced in limited quantities. The cachet envelopes will be limited to the number cancelled on the release date. Xpress It Postage will produce and release postage of new drivers and cars every few weeks. A Release Calendar is available at www.xpressitpostage.com. The postage is produced by Endicia, an authorized vendor of the U.S. Postal Service.(PR)(9-14-2006)
- NASCAR Fatheads: Made for HUGE sports fans, Fathead makes high definition, larger-than-life vinyl wall graphics of officially licensed pro athletes, and will be launching NASCAR cars and drivers this week-- joining NFL and NBA Fathead lines. The kiss-cut player graphic sticks to the wall so you can hang out with "your team" everyday, and the thick, high-grade vinyl resists rips, tears and fading. The low tack backing allows sports fans to peel, place and move their Fathead without losing adhesion or damaging walls. More at fathead.com.(5-8-2006)
- Earnhardt still among top sellers: Five years after his death, Dale Earnhardt remains one of the top sellers in NASCAR merchandise. The drivers whose merchandise sold the most at NASCAR.com Superstore:
1. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
2. Jeff Gordon
3. Tony Stewart
4. Jimmie Johnson
5. Kasey Kahne
6. Dale Earnhardt
7. Rusty Wallace
8. Mark Martin
9. Elliott Sadler
10. Ryan Newman.(USA Today)(2-14-2006)
- Motorsports Authentics Completes Merger With Action Performance: International Speedway Corporation and Speedway Motorsports Incorporated today announced their 50/50 joint venture, which conducts business under the name Motorsports Authentics, has completed a merger with Action Performance Companies. The transaction, first announced on August 30, 2005, was approved by Action's shareholders on December 1, 2005. The acquisition was structured as a merger of a wholly-owned subsidiary of Motorsports Authentics LLC into Action. Combined with the September 8, 2005 acquisition of the net assets of Team Caliber, Motorsports Authentics is now the leader in design, promotion, marketing and distribution of motorsports licensed merchandise. Motorsports Authentics has licenses for exclusive and non-exclusive distribution with the top teams competing in NASCAR and other major motorsports series. Its products include a broad range of motorsports-related die-cast replica collectibles, apparel, gifts and other memorabilia, which are marketed through a combination of mass retail, domestic wholesale, trackside, international and collector's club distribution channels.(Yahoo Finace)(12-11-2005)
- Quiet Earphones: The buzz of cars speeding around the track is one of the most exciting sounds in car racing. It's also the most uncomfortable - and potentially damaging. To protect the comfort and hearing of race fans, Pineville, NC-based Outside the Box, Inc. introduces the new RaceQuietT Earphones. The new RaceQuiet Earphones allow fans to enjoy their race experience to the fullest, without being distracted by the discomfort and pain that sometimes accompanies such an exceptionally loud environment. Using the earphones' patented noise reduction technology, race fans can not only enjoy a quieter race, but they also have the option to listen to race scanners, radio commentary or music on a portable electronic device.
The RaceQuiet Earphones feature an Acoustic Isolation SystemT (AIS) which provides 42 decibels of noise reduction across the entire sound spectrum, allowing race fans to enjoy maximum comfort in extreme noise environments. The AIS utilizes state-of-the-art electronics and miniaturization processes based on the same patented technology used by the U.S. military.
In addition to noise reduction, the earphones feature high quality audio reproduction and are compatible with scanners and other portable electronic devices, including iPodsR. The earphones have a nearly four foot long cord for easy input. Replaceable memory foam ear canal tips ensure a cozy, snug fit, and at a weight of only 1.5 ounces, the RaceQuiet Earphones can be comfortably worn for extended periods of time.
The RaceQuiet Earphones are available for $39.95. Included with the earphones are a carrying tin and replacement tips. The RaceQuiet Earphones are available at all NASCAR Nextel Cup Series, Busch Series and Craftsman Truck Series races. For more information or to purchase the earphones, visit racequiet.com.(12-3-2005)
- Action's acquisition approved: Shareholders of Action Performance Cos. have approved the company's acquisition by Motorsports Authentics, a joint venture between Speedway Motorsports Inc. and International Speedway Corp. The transaction is slated to close Dec. 9.(Charlotte Business Journal)(12-2-2005)
- New Racing Simulators “Making Laps”: The latest innovation to bring excitement to the display areas around most all the NASCAR race tracks are the “new” Racing Simulators use by many corporate displays currently touring the Nextel Cup Circuit. The Motorsports Image (www.motorsportsimage.com Racing Simulator line of products has proven to be a winner everywhere race fans are. Many team owners, marketing executives and motorsports sponsors are
heralding these racing Simulators as the newest and most effective way to entertain and market to racefans in several decades.
The Motorsports Image Simulators consist of several types of products all of which can be custom designed to meet the customer’s requirements. Probably the most creative is the award winning Sim Showcar which is a showcar that has the real driver’s seat inside that actually moves with the video game. A wide screen monitor is placed inside the front windshield and the race fan driver hops inside and uses the actual steering wheel, gas and brake pedals that the real drivers use. The seat has a motion base system installed underneath and that enables the driver to feel all the action out on the track as they drive the racing game. The bumps, the bank of the track, the vibration of racing all can be felt in this innovative new Simulator product. The most amazing thing about this product is several of the Sim Showcars actual run and have made parade laps around race tracks. The MSI (Motorsports Image) Sim Showcar recently achieved award winning status at the last International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (I.A.A.P.A.). The other two creative products now touring the tracks are the MSI racing Seat Sim and the MSI ¾ Scale Sim racecar.
The MSI Seat Sims consist of a roll cage equipped with real racing seats, big bazooka sounds and all the movement of the real race car inside the game. This Sim product simply rolls into place on its on base and is ready to race almost anywhere in a matter of minutes. Many other companies have used the Sims at their trade shows such as Motorola, Coca Cola, and many more companies representing corporate America and their products. All of the MSI Racing Simulators use common 110 Volt current and can be set up
and running anywhere. For more information Motorsports Image can be contacted at 704-663-1023 or
- NC License Plates Now Available: NASCAR fans across North Carolina now have 33 new ways to express their love of racing as the N.C. Department of Transportation's Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) has given the NASCAR license plate series the green flag. The new NASCAR-themed plates are the latest additions to NCDMV's specialized license plate program, which includes over 90 special license plates that allow citizens to express their common interests and civic affiliations. The NASCAR series features a general NASCAR plate in addition to plates highlighting 32 of the sport's most popular drivers. Requests for specialized license plates are approved by the General Assembly. Primary sponsors of the bill approving the NASCAR plate series were Senator David W. Hoyle and Representatives Wayne Goodwin, Linda Johnson and Karen Ray. Each plate has a checkered-flag background design, which substitutes for the "First in Flight" design on standard issue plates. The left side of the plate features an image representing a NASCAR driver while the right side has the identification letters and numbers. Motorists also have the opportunity to personalize the letter combinations on the plate.
In addition to the NASCAR series, NCDMV is introducing two other new plate designs, "Friends of the Appalachian Trail" and Virginia Tech. The "Friends of the Appalachian Trail" plate is currently being manufactured and should be available soon to the public while Virginia Tech plates are already available. Motorists should start seeing the NASCAR series plates on the road in just a few weeks. Applications are currently available by calling NCDMV's Specialized License Plate Office at (919) 861-3575. Motorists may request the plates online and at license plate agencies throughout the state in about two months. For more information on NCDMV's specialized license plate program visit www.ncdot.org/dmv and click on specialized license plates.(NCDOT site)(3-30-2005)
AND why no #3 or #8? That leaves one question for many fans: When can I get my Dale and Dale Jr. tags? The answer: Well, you can't. So why no plates for Dale Earnhardt, the Kannapolis racing legend who died in a wreck four years ago, or for his son, who is one of the sport's most popular drivers? Essentially, the plates are too tacky. Okay. They didn't say that. But Joe Hedrick, vice president for licensing at Dale Earnhardt Inc., said the tags don't look right. "Those plates don't reflect the image of the North Carolina plate," Hedrick said, adding that he would want them to look more like the state's traditional "First in Flight" plates, but with Earnhardt's No. 3 or Junior's No. 8 emblem on one side. If you look at it, it looks like a very commercial plate," he said. Hedrick said he's sure DEI and the state could work something out. It's the company's obligation, he said, to give the state options for a different-looking tag. Hedrick also said to tell fans "we're not abandoning them. We just want to go through the process to have a more authentic plate."(Charlotte Observer)(3-31-2005)
- Dale Jr. Flashlight to promote safety: Duracell and Dale Jr. show race fans the light. Duracell is partnering with NASCAR's most popular to driver to introduce an important safety tool for race fans during the upcoming busy traveling season. Duracell is introducing a Dale Earnhardt Jr. branded flashlight to coincide with the brand's launch of a safety campaign to education drivers on the importance of being prepared on the road. The Dale Earnhardt Jr. Focus Grip Max flashlight will have an ergonomic, rubberized grip and
adjustable light beam that easily shifts from spot to flood mode. This unique flashlight features a sleek red and black race design
emblazoned with Earnhardt Jr.'s car number and signature, and allows race fans to follow driver #8, whether at trackside, traveling in
the car or using it around the house. It's currently available in retail outlets nationwide. The flashlight introduction comes as Duracell launches a safety campaign to educate drivers on the importance of being prepared on the road. The Company will use automotive experts to share advice on automotive preparedness and safe driving throughout the year. Road safety tips, developed in conjunction with the Car Care Council, will also be made available to consumers via www.duracell.com beginning in mid-March. Like Duracell's other Focus Grip Max flashlights, the Dale Earnhardt Jr. Focus Grip Max will have an ergonomic, rubberized grip and adjustable light beam that easily shifts from spot to flood mode. This unique flashlight features a sleek red and black race design emblazoned with Earnhardt Jr.'s car number and signature. The flashlight will be bundled with Duracell alkaline batteries, and has a suggested retail price of $9.99-10.99 at retail outlets nationwide. Duracell is a status sponsor of NASCAR and the "Official Alkaline Battery" of the sport.(Alan Taylor Communications)(3-24-2005)
- New Book - for collectible store owners and others: J and B Racing Publications is proud to announce to the racing public the release of the 2nd Edition of “FAST MONEY: How to put your racing merchandise business in the pole position”. This is the very 1st book of its kind about this billion dollar business and is packed with over 200 pages of priceless information about this business. Learn how to sell the items of such top names as Dale Earnhardt, Dale Jr, Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart, Dale Jarrett, and many other NASCAR racing drivers. This book also has valuable information on Action Performance, Revell, Racing Champions, and other companies in the racing industry.
FAST MONEY is your complete guide to setting up and running a successful racing merchandise business! This book contains all the industry secrets and hard to find information about these topics and many others:
History of Racing Merchandise
Promotion and Advertising
Finishing First with the Racing Customer
Dealing with Distributors
How to Avoid Counterfeit Items
Dealing with Competitors
How to Buy and Sell Racing Merchandise
How to Improve the Business
This book is designed for a wide range of people interested or who deal in racing products to include:
- New Dealers: Set up your business the right way at the start and blow the doors off your competitors!
- Existing Dealers: Improve your existing business to new heights by learning new ways to improve profits!
- Fans, Customers and Collectors: You will gain valuable insight into the business that will save you money and help you find the best dealers.
- Investors: Learn how the business works before investing in racing merchandise companies.
The NEW 2nd Edition has over 25 extra pages of new and updated material, plus a complete list of wholesalers and distributors to buy product from, Web Marketing, and racing simulator plans. 225 pages total. It was written by a dealer with over 7 years experience in almost every area of this business. Questions may be directed to email@example.com or call 850 939 8788 10-5pm. Or order at: FAST MONEY: How to put your racing merchandise business in the pole position.(5-20-2003)