Advertise on Jayski
2003 Team Chart
A portal to the world of Internet NASCAR info!
a Don Melford Image
GOD BLESS the USA!
Gatorade Twin 125 - Race #2
THIS IS UNOFFICIAL
- Daytona 500 Qualifying Grid/Twin 125's Lineup's page
- Daytona 500 Starting Lineup and who missed
- for a full race story, see ThatsRacin.com: Earnhardt Jr. takes 2nd Twin in a dominating DEI showing by David Poole
updated 2-14-2003 after the #2 Disqualification
- The 2nd Win 125, #8-Dale Earnhardt Jr wins, the unofficial results:
(in parens = where they started)
- #8-Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Chevy(1) - 37 laps led; $53,720
- #15-Michael Waltrip, Chevy(2); $38,720
- #54-Todd Bodine, Ford(19) - 1 lap led; $33,720
- #20-Tony Stewart, Chevy(25); $26,720
- #48-Jimmie Johnson, Chevy(8); $24,320
- #43-John Andretti, Dodge(18); $23,220
- #9-Bill Elliott, Dodge(6); $22,220
- #38-Elliott Sadler, Ford(10) (to rear of field - backup car) - 1 lap led; $22,195
- #09-Mike Wallace, Dodge(13); $22,170
- #19-Jeremy Mayfield, Dodge(9); $22,145
- #18-Bobby Labonte, Chevy(4); $22,120
- #0-Jack Sprague, Pontiac(14); $22,095
- #6-Mark Martin, Ford(7); $22,070
- #49-Ken Schrader, Dodge(20); $22,045
- #45-Kyle Petty, Dodge(5); $22,020
- #74-Tony Raines, Chevy(11); $21,995
- #01-Jerry Nadeau, Pontiac(17); $21,945
- #33-Christian Fittipaldi, Chevy(12); $21,920
- #02-Hermie Sadler, Pontiac(23); $21,895
- #77-Dave Blaney, Ford(22); $21,870
- #12-Ryan Newman, Dodge(16); $21,845
- #90-Kirk Shelmerdine, Ford(24) - 1 lap down; $21,795
- #97-Kurt Busch, Ford(15) - 1 lap down; $21,770
- #29-Kevin Harvick, Chevy(3) - 10 laps led - out of race; $21,745
- #2-Rusty Wallace, Dodge(21); DISQUALIFIED due to illegal carb, forefits the $28,720
The top 15 (or 14 if Dale Earnhardt Jr fails to finish in the top 14)
- Notes: teams pitted laps 33-34. #97-Busch and #29-Harvick got together in the pits with #97-Busch getting spun around. Most all teams too gas and two ride side tires BUT #8-Earnhardt Jr took gas only. Busch was penalized for contact on pit road and is down a lap. #77-Blaney stalled in the pits, putting him a 1/2 lap down. #29-Harvick had a tire rub and was told to by NASCAR to pit, so they took the car to the garage and called it a day.
Gatorade Twin 125 - Race 1 Results
and also see NASCAR.com for results of the 2nd Twin 125
HOW TO MAKE THE DAYTONA 500
Step 1) Positions 1-2: set by first round qualifying, the fastest two drivers.
Step 2) Positions 3-30: set by the results of the Twin 125's, 28 drivers, not already in by step 1.
Step 3) Positions 31-36: the fastest six drivers from qualifying 1 qand 2 not in already from steps 1 and 2.
Step 4) Positions 37-42: the highest drivers in the previous season's OWNERS points standing not already in the race.
Step 5) Postion 43: to a former Winston Cup Champion not already in by the criteria set in steps 1 thru 4. If there is no former champ not in, the next driver whose team in the highest in the previous OWNERS points standings
- The Daytona 500 has a different qualifying format. Only the two fastest drivers secure starting spots for the 500 in that first round. Drivers can stand on Saturday's speed or try to go faster in second-round qualifying (looks like there will not be a 2nd round in 2003). Once a driver elects to go again, his previous speed is wiped off the slate and the new speed becomes his official mark. After qualifying ends on Monday, the speeds will be used to set the lineups for Thursday's Gatorade 125-mile qualifying races. Odd numbers -- first, third, fifth and so on -- go in the first race, even numbers in the second. Results from the 125s will set positions 3 through 30 for the 500. The next six spots in the 500 field will go to the drivers with the six best qualifying speeds who have not yet made the field. The final seven spots go to provisional starters based on last season's car owner points standings. The second-fastest driver is assured of starting on the outside of the front row for the 500. The third-fastest, however, could start the main event as far back as 31st depending on how he does in the 125-miler.
- Track Specs:
- Daytona International Speedway is a tri-oval with 31-degree banking in the turns
18-degree banking in the tri-oval and 6-degree banking on the straightaways
Grandstand Seating: 168,000.
- Twin 125's: the Gatorade Twin 125 Qualifying Races at Daytona will be run Thursday, Feb 13th, starting at 12:30pm/et and will be televised live on FX [and re-aired on FX at 8:00pm/et] and can be heard on radio on MRN Radio or XM Radio channel 144. NASCAR.com is also offering free online scoring for the Twins (but NOT the 500). I will cover the races somehow on here also, maybe every 10 laps of so. See the Twin 125 lineups at my Daytona 500 Qualifying Grid page, with speeds and provisional ranks.(2-13-2003)
- How to make the Daytona 500? yes it is different from all the other Cup races in terms of qualifying, see my Daytona 500 Race Info page or Daytona 500 Qualifying Grid page for the procedure, step-by-step.(2-12-2003)
- Wed afternoon practice is over: #21-Ricky Rudd was fastest at 190.166mph, followed by #40-Sterlin Marlin at 190-146 and #31-Robbie Gordon at 189.954, slowest were #90-Kirk Shelmerdine at 181.561 and #41-Casey Mears 183.598. 44 of the 50 cars practices, 6 drivers did not go out: #25-Nemechek, #0-Sprague, #1-Park, #45-Petty, #23-Wallace and #09-Wallace. For speeds see Thatsracin.com.(2-12-2003)
- Drivers IN CORRECTION: Fifteen drivers are guaranteed to be in the Daytona 500, no matter what happens, how? #30-Green and #8-Earnhardt Jr are locked in the pole and outside pole positions. 3-30 thru the Twin 125's finishes. 31-36 by qualifying speed, so the #31-Gordon, #15-Waltrip, #21-Rudd, #29-Harvick, #88-Jarrett and #18-Labonte would be in on speed, provisionals would go to the teams that finished 1 thru 7 in 2002 Owners points (none were in the top 8 in speeds): #20-Stewart, #6-Martin, #97-Busch, #24-Gordon, #48-Johnson, #12-Newman get the regular provisionals and #5-Terry Labonte gets the Past Champion Provisional [not Rusty Wallace - oops, Wallace was champ in 1989, Labonte in 1996], Wallace would just miss out in regukar provisionals being 7th in 2002 Owners Points and next in line for the Champions Provisional. NOTE: This is the worse case for these drivers, but they are in the race.(2-12-2003)
- FYI the #33 Monoco Chevy driven by Christian Fittipaldi and owned by Andy Petree Racing [APR] will use 2002 owners points from the #55 car, which is 29th in provisionals, Fittipaldi has the 24th fastest time in qualifying, which should be safe to make the race if he finishes outside the top 15 (14 if Earnhardt Jr finishes in the top 15).(2-12-2003)
- Engine Rules at Daytona see my Daytona 500 Race Info page towards the bottom for the rules for the Daytona 500. AND NASCAR's single-engine rule, which requires drivers to use the same engine for qualifying and the race, is not in effect for the Daytona 500. In other races if a driver blows an engine or crashes during practice or qualifying — or changes engines or cars — he has to start at the rear of the field. The only consequence of Tony Stewart's blown engine in Monday's qualifying is that he has to start at the back of the field in his 125-mile qualifying race today.(Tennessean)
- Jeff Green wins the pole for the Daytona 500 - Daytona 500 Qualifying Grid/Twin 125's Lineup's page
- Saturday Daytona 500 2nd practice is over: #25-Joe Nemechek was the fastest with a speed of 185.189mph (in 9 practice laps), followed by #15-Michael Waltrip at 184.953 (6 laps) and #8-Dale Earnhardt Jr at 184.759 (in 9 laps). Slowest were #78-Mike Harmon at 176.995 and #90-Kirk Shelmerdine at 177.588. #30-Jeff Green and #84-Norm Benning didn't practice. #24-Jeff Gordon was slow in both practices, 41st in the first practice with a speed of 181.554 and 24th in the 2nd practice at 182.782. For speeds see ThatsRacin.com.(2-8-2003)
- Qualifying Order links are up for the Daytona 500, see my Daytona 500 Race Info page for the links, 51 cars/drivers are listed. First scheduled out to qualify on Sunday, Feb 9th at 1:00pm/et (Fox-TV) is #17-Matt Kenseth, last scheduled out is #11-Brett Bodine.(2-7-2003)
- The Next Race Info Page: Daytona 500 Race Info page in Daytona Beach, FL at Daytona Intl Speedway at 1:00pm/et on Sunday, February 16th - TV: Fox (pre-race show at 12:00pm/et)
Included on the informational page is: Practice Results, A Buc at the Daytona 500, Qualifying Order Links, Purse/Race Awards, Entry List, Updated Practice times, John Travolta Grand Marshal, Speedweeks Concerts, SHeDAISY and Third Day, Mariah Carey To Sing National Anthem, Parade, Budweiser Shootout Info, Twin 125 info, How Qualifying differs for the Daytona 500 then normal, ODDs Links, Purse/Race Awards, Past Race/Pole Winners, Winston Cup leader bonus = $10,000, Provisional Rules, Race Facts, Security, Scanners, Practice and Qualifying times, Qualifying Draw time, Race Re-Air dates and times (if avail), Weather forecast links, Satellite/backhaul link, Radio and Newspaper links, Television/Radio Information, Camping Info, Info Links, Race Track Specs, Driver/Team News, Track Reviews, Site Links for Fans going to the race, Speed Conversion Calculation to get MPH from Time.
This page is updated when needed until raceday.
For the last race, see my Ford 400 Race Info page (past races are linked to on the 2002 Cup Schedule page, 2003 Cup Schedule page and on the 2002 Results Page)
- Some stats pages:
Budweiser Shootout 2003
Budweiser Shootout 2004