NASCAR Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors
April 2012 Archives
- Congrats to Beau & Ashley: Beau and Ashley Wilkes welcomed baby girl Gabriella Naomie Wilkes on Wednesday, April 25, at 8:30 p.m. Weighing nine-pounds, four-ounces, and measuring 21 inches long, Gabriella Naomie is the couples’ first child. Beau is a mechanic and tire specialist on the #33 Rheem Chevrolet of Cale Gale in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.(ESR PR)(4-28-2012)
- New NASCAR team to be fielded by Barry Dodson: Barry Dodson has been absent from the NASCAR spotlight for many years but, on Thursday [April 26th] he announced his plan to return with a new team and a new mission. Dodson has been a winner at all levels of NASCAR competition and holds the 1989 Cup Series Crew Chief Championship title [when Rusty Wallace won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship]. However, after tragedy struck his family in 1994, Dodson realized that winning at NASCAR’s premier level didn’t seem as important in his life as it once had. Slowly he disappeared from the NASCAR weekly scene and set a course to get his life straightened out and back on track. Sure, he maintained his connections in the NASCAR community and had many offers to return, but declined to make a comeback until now. Dodson has decided to join forces with Free Pennington and his Free American Racing team out of Augusta, Georgia. “For us to come together in this way is a dream come true for me,” commented Pennington. “Barry is one of my heroes and to think that I could drive for him is such a blessing to me.”
So, what are the plans for this new team going forward? Pennington says, “Barry Dodson is the leader of this team and is controlling where we go from here. We plan to run 2 to 3 Truck Races and 2 to 3 Nationwide Races in 2012. We’re looking for some additional sponsorship now to determine where we go after that. Barry’s put the deal together and our mission is to take Driven Ministries and plant some seeds at these race tracks.”(more at Victory Lane on Fox54)(4-27-2012)
- Cobb launches PSA for Driven2Honor: Jennifer Jo Cobb, driver of the #10 Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing Dodge Ram in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS), is proud to take another step forward with her Driven2Honor program. Cobb has created a PSA for the program and is launching the announcement this week. The PSA will air on public broadcasting stations across the nation. The Driven2Honor program, which Cobb created in 2011, aims to accomplish three goals: to honor women in the U.S. Military, to inspire young women that the military is a viable option for their future and to empower female veterans post-duty.(Jennifer Jo Cobb PR)(4-24-2012)
- TV Ratings up at Kansas: According to Nielsen Media Research, SPEED coverage of last Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Kansas Speedway was up 21-percent (.86 vs. .71) when compared to last season’s equivalent race at Nashville and peaked at a .98. Ratings were up 37-percent with M35-54 (.86 vs. .63) and 113-percent with M18-49 (.51 vs. .24) over the Nashville event. Season-to-date, the NCWTS is pacing up seven percent with HH (1.11 vs. 1.04), 14-percent with M35-54 (1.16 vs. 1.02) and 49-percent among M18-49 (.67 vs. .45) compared to 2011. Next up for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series is the May 18 race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. SPEED offers live coverage of the race beginning at 8:00pm/et; NCWTS Setup with Krista Voda airs at 7:30pm/et.(SPEED PR)(4-24-2012)
- Monday Rundown – Racing Resources:
*James Buescher won the SFP 250 on Saturday at Kansas Speedway. It was his first career win in his 76th series start. He has finished second four times.
*Buescher became the 72nd driver to win in Camping World Truck Series and the 12th different driver to win at Kansas in 12 races at the track. His previous best finish at Kansas was fourth last year.
*Buescher became the fourth different driver to win in the first four races of 2012. He is the second first-time winner of 2012. He notched his third top-3 finish of 2012.
*Buescher led five times for 103 laps, including the final 11, the most laps he’s led in a race.
*Turner Motorsports posted its second career win (won last week at Rockingham). Turner became the ninth different organization to win at Kansas.
*Chevrolet posted its fifth Kansas win and third victory of 2012. *Timothy Peters (second) has top-5 finishes in all four races this season.
*Brad Keselowski (third) had only his second top-5 finish in the series.
*Nelson Piquet Jr. (fourth) had his third straight top-10 finish.
*Todd Bodine (fifth) posted his 37th top-5 on a 1.5-mile track, most of all drivers.
*Ron Hornaday Jr. (sixth) recovered after a near spin on Lap 42 for his best finish of the season.
*Justin Lofton (seventh) has top-10 finishes in all four races this season.
*Ty Dillon (ninth) has finished in the top 10 in his past six starts.
*Scott Stanzel finished 23rd in his series debut.(ESPN.com)(4-23-2012)
- Russian, Mokshantsev plans to run trucks with NTS: Sergey Mokshantsev, an experienced open-wheel racing driver from Moscow with European Formula 3 and Indy Lights experience to his resume, plans to enter NASCAR competition this season becoming the first Russian driver in NASCAR competition. Mokshantsev has been undergoing an aggressive NASCAR driver development program which started March 13-14 and April 2-3 in North Carolina driving a K&N Pro Series car prepared by NTS Motorsports. For 2012 NTS Motorsports continues as a K&N Pro East and West Series team but has boosted it’s program to the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series with rookie Brennan Newberry (#14) and is preparing to run a second truck by end of the 2012 season. “We are excited to have Sergey as part of NTS Motorsports. Sergey has impressed us not only with his ability behind the wheel of a stock car, but also with his professional approach, he will become a great stock car driver”, states NTS Owner, Bob Newberry. “Sergey has done a great job in his NASCAR development program and is way ahead of schedule, we expect to enter him in a NASCAR sanctioned event very soon and to run a full 2013 season”, stated Mike Schriefer of Speedway Group, marketing and management representatives for Mokshantsev and NTS Motorsports.[Been told that they are planning to start at the K&N races at Iowa and will enter 6-10 CWT races this year in a second NTS Truck.](NTS Motorsports PR)(4-21-2012)
- Buescher powers to first Truck Series victory: Simply put, it was James Buescher’s day. Buescher pulled away in the closing laps for a convincing 5.320-second victory over Timothy Peters, who passed Brad Keselowski for the runner-up spot with three laps left in Saturday’s SFP 250 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Kansas Speedway. Buescher earned his first win in the series, to go with his maiden Nationwide Series victory at Daytona in February. It was the second straight victory for Turner Motorsports, which sent Kasey Kahne to Victory Lane last Saturday at Rockingham, with Buescher running second. Keselowski ran third, followed by Nelson Piquet Jr. and Todd Bodine. With the victory, Buescher narrowed Peters’ lead in the series standings to four points. Ron Hornaday Jr., Justin Lofton, Kligerman, rookie Ty Dillon and Miguel Paludo completed the top 10. Dillon is fourth in the standings, 14 points behind Peters and three behind third-place Lofton. Driving his own truck for the second time this season, Keselowski surged past Buescher and into the lead shortly after a restart on Lap 105 of 167. Buescher pursued patiently until Lap 122, when he cleared Keselowski through Turn 4 to regain the top spot. The longer the run, the more Buescher’s #31 Chevrolet flaunted its superiority. By Lap 140, with green-flag pit stops imminent, Buescher had opened an advantage of 5.4 seconds, with Peters closing in on Keselowski for the second position. As the green-flag cycle began, Peters grabbed the #2 spot from Keselowski before heading to the pits on Lap 146. Buescher followed on Lap 150 and matched Peters with a four-tire stop. That left Keselowski, who took right-side tires only, in the lead, but Buescher quickly tracked down the #19 RAM and made the pass for the top spot on Lap 157. The final 10 laps were a smooth cruise for the first-time Truck series winner.(NASCAR PR) [Complete race info is posted on the Kansas Race Page.](4-21-2012)
- White to run Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown: Jason White will join fellow NASCAR stars Denny Hamlin, Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch and others as he will participate next week [April 26] in the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown at Richmond International Raceway. Jason will pilot the #23 GunBroker.com Ford Late Model in this Fifth Annual event. Proceeds will benefit the Denny Hamlin Foundation, which raises funds for individuals and families affected by cystic fibrosis.[Additional information on the event is posted on the Jayski Charities page.](4-20-2012)
- Keselowski doubles up at Kansas: UPDATE more on Checkered Flag Foundation: Keselowski will compete in his second NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race of the season this weekend at Kansas in the #19 Brad Keselowski’s Checkered Flag Foundation Ram. If Keselowski can find his way to Victory Lane on Saturday afternoon, he will join two exclusive driver groups. A total of 20 drivers have won a race in all three touring series and Keselowski could join that group with a win. However, a smaller group awaits the 28-year-old. Keselowski can also join his father, Bob Keselowski, as the only father-son duo to win a NCWTS race. Keselowski will run the #2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger during Sunday’s STP 400 at Kansas Speedway. (Penske Racing PR)(4-19-2012)
UPDATE:Brad Keselowski’s #19 Checkered Flag Foundation Dodge Ram will highlight a proactive veterans hiring program during this weekend’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Kansas Speedway. Driving for his own team, Brad Keselowski Racing, Keselowski’s hood will carry the message of Waste Management’s proactive veteran hiring program. In addition to being the nation’s largest environmental services provider, with approximately 44,300 employees, Waste Management is also a leader in recruiting and hiring veterans, which is what attracted Keselowski to the program. About 3,500 veterans currently work for Waste Management. The organization has been named top Military Friendly employer by “G.I. Jobs Magazine,” “Military Times,” and the Department of Defense. Brad Keselowski’s Checkered Flag Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization that supports those who have sacrificed for us, including military, veterans, first responders and their families, among others.CFF PR)(4-20-2012)
- AdvoCare to sponsor Starr for three; image added: AdvoCare, an award-winning premier health and wellness company, will sponsor three of the 2012 Camping World Truck Series races for the #81 AdvoCare Toyota Tundra driven by David Starr. Starr has 4 wins, 47 top-5 finishes and 115 top-10 results, as well as 5 pole positions and 605 laps led in 290 career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts. The 44-year old from Houston, TX is just 29 points behind the leader in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series with 19 races remaining. Since 1992, AdvoCare as offered nutrition, weight loss, energy and sports performance products of the highest quality developed through comprehensive research and backed by a Scientific & Medical Advisory Board. AdvoCare will sponsor the #81 Arrington Racing Toyota for NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races at Kansas Speedway, Dover International Speedway and Atlanta Motor Speedway.(Arrington Racing PR) [Image of the #81-AdvoCare Toyota is posted on the #81 NCWTS 2012 Paint Schemes page.](4-20-2012)
- Lofton, #6 team remember College Complete family at Kansas: Just over two years ago a seemingly healthy Eve Haim, mother of four, including College Complete CEO Dan Haim, was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS), also known as pre-leukemia, which is caused by the failure of bone marrow to produce proper white cells. That summer, Eve began chemotherapy treatments to no avail, and by year’s end received a transplant. Tragically, Eve developed complications from the transplant. She was hospitalized and spent seven months battling the complications. Though free of leukemia, the complications took its toll on her and she passed away in June of 2011. She was just 59-years-old. This Saturday, April 21st, the day of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series SFP 250 at Kansas Speedway, Eve’s hometown of Sea Cliff, New York will honor her memory by dedicating the village’s Central Park in her name. A plaque will be placed in her honor, as well as a special step in front of the water fountain. Her son Dan, CEO of College Complete.com, will be in New York attending the park dedication, and will miss this weekend’s race. The team will show their support for the Haim family while honoring Eve on the #6 College Complete Chevrolet in Kansas. Eve’s name will be displayed on top of the door of the truck, as well as on two orange memorial ribbons on the b-post, which are on the truck every race week.(Lofton/ESR PR)(4-20-2012)
- Goodyear Tire Notes — Kansas: While teams in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will run the same right-side tire code (D-4408) they ran at Kansas last season, they will run it with a different left-side code (D-4178) . . . they have some experience on this left-side tire, running it at Pocono in 2011 . . . in addition to Kansas, truck teams ran this right-side tire at Nashville (twice) and Bristol last year . . . while Camping World Truck and Sprint Cup teams will run the same right-side code at Kansas this weekend, they will run distinct left-side codes . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Kansas . . . air pressure in the inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Kansas Race Info page.](4-19-2012)
- Kligerman – Kansas Fast Facts:
*Driver of the #29 Reese Towpower Ram for Brad Keselowski Racing
*Career stats: 29 starts; Top fives – 4, Top tens – 10, Laps led – 31
*Scored ninth-place finish last week at Rockingham Speedway, his first top 10 of the 2012 season.
*Fifth in the series championship standings, 20 points behind leader Timothy Peters.
*Won pole for 2009 Nationwide race at Kansas, his first NASCAR national series start.
*Finished 11th in one previous NCWTS start at Kansas (2011) after qualifying seventh.
*Has completed 100 percent of total possible laps this season (559), one of just six drivers to do so.(SRT Motorsports – Ram PR)(4-19-2012)
- Chastain to run FWA scheme at Kansas: Rookie driver Ross Chastain has spent his entire life on the family farm in South Florida. This week the nineteen year old will carry the fruit raised on the family farm to nations heartland as the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series heads to the SFP 250 at the Kansas Speedway for the fourth race of the 2012 season.The #08 will break away from the usual SS Green Light Racing black paint, as the Florida Watermelon Association will again back the Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender’s Toyota Tundra. The Florida Watermelon Association is a chapter of the National Watermelon Association.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(4-19-2012)
- KBM picks up new sponsor for five; Leffler/Scott share driving duties; image added: The #18 Tundra will be sporting a new paint scheme this weekend as Shore Lodge – the premiere resort in Central Idaho and a quintessential mountain retreat located on the southern shores of the stunningly beautiful Payette Lake in McCall, Idaho – will adorn the hood of Kyle Busch Motorsports flagship truck for the first of five races where the historic lodge will serve as primary sponsor this season. Leffler will be behind the wheel of the Shore Lodge Tundra for three races, including this weekend, while fellow Toyota driver Brian Scott will pilot the #18 for his home-state sponsor in the remaining two races. Since making his NASCAR Camping World Truck Series debut at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis in August of 2000, Jason Leffler has collected one win, 10 poles, 19 top-five and 30 top-10 finishes in 49 starts spread out over seven seasons. The California native is hoping to celebrate his 50th career Truck Series start with win number two Saturday in the SFP 250 at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)[Rendering of the #18 Shore Lodge / Dollar General Toyota is posted on the #18 NCWTS 2012 Paint Schemes page.](4-18-2012)
- Setup show to feature Newlyweds: Tune in to The Setup from Kansas Speedway this weekend to see a special segment featuring Cale and Jennifer Gale. The newlyweds will compete against Matt & Ashley Crafton and James & Kris Buescher in “Just Married!”-a newlywed game show with host Rick Allen. The couples will go head-to-head to find out who knows their new spouse best. [Setup scheduled to air at 1:30pm/et on Speed].(ESR PR)(4-18-2012)
- Buescher has new sponsor on board for Kansas: The #31 machine with driver James Buescher, will have a new look this weekend in Kansas Speedway. PROGENEX will adorn the hood and sides of the #31 Chevrolet on Saturday afternoon. PROGENEX is a fitness industry leader for products that accelerate muscle recovery, growth, repair and strength in the body. PROGENEX can be found in every NFL locker room, in the hands of Olympians and with top professional athletes around the world. Buescher has picked up 12 positions in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series point standings over the last two races. Buescher sits fourth in the standings only 10 points behind leader Timothy Peters.(Turner Motorsports PR)[Rendering of the #31 PROGENEX Chevrolet is posted on the #31 NCWTS Paint Schemes page.](4-18-2012)
- Piquet helping to raise carbon emissions awareness: Nelson Piquet Jr. and the #30 Turner Motorsports team will be running a “zero-carbon” decal on their 30 Qualcomm Autotrac Chevrolet this weekend. Piquet Jr. has teamed up with climatecare.org to bring more fan awareness to the issue of CO2 emissions. Climatecare.org is an independent organization that works to offset the environmental impact companies can have on the environment. Using ethanol has helped decrease emissions in NASCAR by over 20% in the last two years. Piquet Jr. and the #30 team had the dominant truck for last weekend’s inaugural race at Rockingham Speedway. The Brazilian native claimed his first NCWTS pole and led 107 laps of the 200-lap event. An unfortunate pit road speeding penalty forced the team restart from the back of the field with 20 laps to go. Piquet Jr. battled back to an impressive seventh-place finish. Piquet made his first start at Kansas in 2011 where he started 4th and ended with an 8th place finish.(Turner Motorsports PR)(4-18-2012)
- Dillon returns to site of first ARCA win: Ty Dillon will return to the site of his first ARCA Racing Series victory this weekend as the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series heads to Kansas Speedway. The 20-year-old rookie driver started the 2010 100-lap affair from the fourth position and began his trek to the front of the field. With five laps remaining in the event, Dillon passed Steve Arpin to take the lead and went on to win his first ARCA victory in only his second start. This will be his first NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race in the #3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet at Kansas Speedway. After Dillon’s eighth-place showing at Rockingham Speedway, he gained one position, advancing to third, in the Camping World Truck Series driver’s championship point standings just seven markers behind the leader Timothy Peters. Dillon took over the lead for the 2012 Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors after last weekend’s finish at “The Rock.” He is 12 points ahead of driver John King after four races on the Camping World Truck Series schedule.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(4-18-2012)
- Burton, another first; intermediate tracks: After a solid performance in Rockingham, powering from the 27th starting spot all the way to an 11th place finish, Jeb Burton finds himself in attack mode in his #27 State Water Heaters Chevy Silverado. This time, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series rookie will take his talent on the road — to a series of fast 1.5 mile tracks between Kansas, Charlotte and Dover Motor Speedway. Burton comments: “Again, it’s my first time at each one of these tracks wherever I go. My experience up until this point has been in late models. So the approach is to learn first, fast laps second. We’ll be taking as many turns of the racetrack as possible on Friday’s practice runs, just to get the lay of the land. It’s such a tricky place for tires and pit strategy, not to mention all the other components like speed and corners. The weather might be a factor too, with all the wind they’ve had lately. So we’ll see. I just have to go into it looking for knowledge and to come out with a great finish. If we can get a top 10, we’d be over the moon.”(Jeb Burton PR)(4-18-2012)
- Rockingham TV ratings: According to Nielsen Media Research, SPEED coverage of Sunday’s inaugural NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race from Rockingham Speedway scored a .88 HH rating and peaked at a 1.09. Season-to-date, the NCWTS is pacing up 15-percent with HH (1.20 vs. 1.04) over 2011, up 24-percent with M35-54 (1.26 vs. 1.02) and up 60-percent among M18-49 (.72 vs. .45). The next NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race is scheduled for Saturday, April 21, at 2 p.m. ET live from Kansas Speedway. The popular pre-race show, NCWTS Setup with Krista Voda, begins at 1:30 p.m. ET.(SPEEDtv PR)(4-17-2012)
- MB switches to Chevy; new driver making first series start: MB Motorsports has been racing Ford F-Series trucks since they first took to the track in 1995, but will arrive at Kansas Speedway fielding a Chevy Silverado. Mittler had this to say about the change, “The opportunity presented itself to us and it was a win-win deal. The last two races we have not had that much luck running the Ford program, so we felt this may be the change we needed to regain our momentum.” The black #65 MB Motorsports Chevy features a chassis from the KHI stable and a brand new motor from PME. Rookie driver, Scott Stenzel will be piloting the #65 at Kansas Speedway. “Bringing new talent into the sport is what I do,” Mittler states, “with Scott, there is no question about his talent. It’s the addition of having a background in advertising and marketing that makes our relationship even stronger. When I went to the “Yellow Stripes – Making the Driver” website and heard Scott’s story I had a desire to help him accomplish his goal together.” MB Motorsports marks their 11th attempt at Kansas Speedway as they register the #65 Making the Driver Chevy Silverado.(MB Motorsports PR)(4-17-2012)
- Armstrong paying visit to Kansas race sponsor: Dakoda Armstrong, driver of the #98 EverFi Toyota for ThorSport Racing, will be heading to Kansas early this week on Wednesday morning to visit with race sponsor SFP. This Saturday’s event will mark SFP’s first year of sponsorship in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Based in Leawood, Kansas, SFP creates solutions for today’s crop growers for higher efficiency and return on their fertilizer investment, as well as healthier crops. Born and raised on a 8,000 acre crop farm in Indiana, Armstrong can relate to SFP’s business goals and customers. He will tour the SFP lab facility and visit with employees, local farmers and media members. The SFP 250 is scheduled to start at 2:00pm Eastern on Saturday, April 21st.(ThorSport Racing PR)(4-17-2017)
- Lofton to make 3rd appearance at Fort Riley prior to Kansas: Justin Lofton will head to Kansas early this week, making a stop at nearby Fort Riley in order to visit with ARMY service members on base. The visit will be the third for Lofton in as many years. This season however, will be different, as he brings along his #6 College Complete Chevrolet Silverado and crew. Lofton, crew chief Dan Bormann, and the rest of the College Complete team will be on hand throughout the morning on Thursday at Fort Riley, showing off their race truck, signing autographs, and talking racing with service members and their families. On Saturday, many will make the roughly two-hour drive and attend the SFP 250 at Kansas Speedway. While College Complete is used to assisting in long-term goals, this Thursday, the focus of the team will shift to showcasing appreciation and support for all of the hard work of the service men and woman at Fort Riley.(ESR/Lofton PR)(4-17-2012)
- Hornaday — Kansas Fast Facts: Driver; #9-Joe Denette Motorsports Chevrolet
*In 11 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) starts at Kansas Speedway, Ron Hornaday, Jr. is the only driver to win from the pole.
*Hornaday holds the most pole awards (three) of any active NCWTS driver at Kansas Speedway.
*In seven NCWTS starts at Kansas Speedway, Hornaday has three pole awards, one win, three top-five and four top-10 finishes.
*According to NASCAR’s loop data statistics, Hornaday has the following stats at Kansas:
Hornaday has a driver rating of 109.1; third overall
First among Fastest Laps Run with 142
First among Laps Led with 261
Second among Laps in the top-15 with 898(Joe Denette Motorsports PR)(4-17-2012)
- Harraka to make first intermediate track start: Paulie Harraka and the #5 Wauters Motorsports NASCAR Camping World Truck Series team head to Kansas Speedway for the running of the SFP 250 Saturday, April 21, 2012. “I can’t wait to get to Kansas,” Paulie Harraka said. “This will be my first time on a true 1.5 mile track, so I know I have a ton to learn. I expect that the aero package of these trucks, and the horsepower under the hood of my Ford, will make a track like this fun. Richie and I will have some challenges in getting me up to speed and figuring out what I need in the truck, but I’m confident we’ll get it figured out quickly.” Owner, Richie Wauters in his tenure as a crew chief has posted three top-10 finishes at the Kansas City, Kansas track with his most recent in 2010 with Aric Almirola.(Wauters Motorsports PR)(4-17-2012)
- King to make first Kansas start; CONSOL returns as sponsor:This will mark John King’s first visit to the 1.5-mile track of Kansas Speedway. CONSOL Energy returns as primary sponsor for the Red Horse Racing #7 Toyota Tundra for this weekend’s SFP 250 at Kansas. The leading diversified fuel producer in the Eastern United States, in both coal and natural gas, is nearing its 150th anniversary. The Pennsylvania based company, began production in 1864.(Red Horse Racing PR)(4-16-2012)
- Dugger picks up additional sponsorship: Russ Dugger Racing is excited to announce the addition of Vacuworx Global as a secondary sponsor during their 2012 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series schedule. Headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Vacuworx Global’s innovative products afford the safest, fastest, and smartest way to handle large and bulky items in the field. The agreement between RDR and Vacuworx Global provides secondary sponsor placement on the #12 JPO Absorbents Chevrolet Silverado at the six races in which Dugger is slated to compete, including Bristol, Talladega, Martinsville, Homestead, Kansas, and Texas Motor Speedway.(Russ Dugger Racing PR) [Prior team news can be found on the March News Archives page.](4-16-2012)
- Monday Rundown – Racing Resources:
*Kasey Kahne won the Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 on Sunday at Rockingham Speedway. It was his fourth Truck series win in his fifth start. He became the only driver to win in four of his first five starts in that series. His lone non-win was a second place at Pocono in July 2010.
*Kahne led once for the final 46 laps.
*Turner Motorsports posted its first Truck series win.
*Chevrolet posted its 179th Truck series win and second victory of 2012.
*James Buescher (second) had his second top-5 finish of 2012, tying his best career finish for the fourth time.
*Matt Crafton (third) had his best finish of the season, his first top-15 finish in the past four races.
*Johnny Sauter (fourth) posted his first finish better than 24th in 2012.
*Timothy Peters (fifth) is the only driver with top-5 finishes in all three races of 2012.
*Nelson Piquet Jr. (seventh), who led 107 laps, was penalized for driving too fast exiting the pits on Lap 181 while running second.
*Tyler Young finished 28th in his series debut.)(ESPN.com)(4-16-2012)
- Fitzpatrick looking for Charlotte return: UPDATE more info: From JR Fitzpatrick Facebook entry: “I will not be racing at the Rock or Kansas, working with #TurnOneRacing to fill the gaps in the season, should, be back behind the wheel of the #60 machine for Charlotte, we will keep diggin.”(Facebook-JR Fitzpatrick”>)(4-13-2012)
UPDATE: Grant Enfinger will be in the truck at Rockingham. Driver at Kansas is “TBD” at this time. JR is scheduled to be back in the truck at Charlotte. Team Owner Stacy Compton and JR’s management team are both fully committed to having JR be in the #60 truck as much as possible this season, but there were some holes to fill with sponsorship to make that happen. Unfortunately, we were unable to sell sponsorship for Rockingham and Kansas, which have resulted in JR being sidelined until Charlotte, most likely.(Turn One Racing PR)(4-13-2012)
- Greenfield picks up two new sponsors for Rockingham: Clay Greenfield Motorsports picks up two new sponsors for the Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 as the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series marks its return to the legendary Rockingham Speedway. Joining @claygreenfield on the red #68 RAM is Performance Automotive, a state of the art body shop serving central Tennessee. Based in Murfreesboro, TN, Performance Automotive has built a reputation for honest, quality work at affordable prices. Also joining CGM is majorbanner.com, an e-tailer specializing in banners and banner displays for retailers, race teams and organizations. In addition, the team will be supporting Greenfield’s alma mater, Austin Peay State University, where Greenfield graduated with a degree in business. reenfield will make his 16th series start as he wheels his red #68 RAM around the 1.017 mile speedway. Greenfield and Crew Chief Gene Patient are looking to regain the momentum the team built at Daytona, where they started the season with a career best 10th place finish.(Clay Greenfield Motorsports PR)(4-13-2012)
- Rockingham Tire Notes: This is the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series’ inaugural race at Rockingham Speedway . . . while Camping World Truck teams have run this right-side tire code (D-4444) in the past, this is the first time they have run this left side code (D-4522) . . . truck teams ran this right-side at both Dover and Michigan in 2011 . . . NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide teams did run this left-side at Fontana earlier this season . . . this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear test at Rockingham in early March . . . drivers participating in that test were James Buescher, Jason Leffler and Timothy Peters . . . teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Rockingham . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Rockingham Race Page](4-13-2012)
- Husky Liners partners with RCR & Coulter for two: Husky Liners, a leading supplier of automotive accessories for light trucks, SUV’s, vans and cars, has entered into a partnership agreement with Richard Childress Racing. The Winfield, Kan.-based company will be the primary sponsor of RCR’s #22 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series team driven by Joey Coulter for two races during the 2012 season. The Husky Liners brand will serve as the primary sponsor of Coulter’s #22 Chevrolet Silverado at Kansas Speedway (April 21) and Talladega Superspeedway (October 6). Coulter, currently in his second year of competition in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, earned Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors in 2011.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(4-11-2012)
UPDATE: Image of Richard Childress Racing’s #22-Husky Liners Chevrolet is posted on the #22 NCWTS 2012 Paint Schemes page.(4-12-2012)
- Newberry more races on tap: NCWTS rookie Brennan Newberry and his #14 NTS Motorsports team seeks to “one up” their performance at Martinsville where Newberry qualified a respectable 19th and was running as high as 14th prior to getting caught up in a traffic jam accident, finishing 28th respectfully. NTS Motorsports, the new team owned/operated by Brennan’s dad Bob Newberry is anything but new to racing. Bob, a former racer himself has been running the largest race team on the west coast for several seasons and has tapped veteran team manager Gary Collins, also of Bakersfield, to build the new team around Brennan. Crew Chief for the #14 is former RCR NNS Crew Chief, Dan Deeringhoff. NTS is using power from Hendrick Motorsports. The Newberry’s and Collins all come from Bakersfield, CA which has produced several NASCAR regulars including Kevin Harvick and Casey Mears just to name a few. Collins also was mentor to Harvick and built the first “NASCAR Supertruck”, now known as NASCAR Camping World Trucks. Newberry and the team are scheduled to run a total of fifteen races [possibly more] in 2012.(NTS Motorsports PR)(4-12-2012)
- Chastain backed by FWA at Rockingham: Coming off a career best seventh place finish two weeks ago at Martinsville, SS Green Light Racing’s Ross Chastain is ready for this week as the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series heads to Rockingham Speedway. Another agricultural-based organization will support the South Florida native’s efforts at “The Rock” as the Florida Watermelon Association will back the #08-SS Green Light Racing Toyota this weekend. The nineteen year-old Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender sits eleventh in NCWTS points after two races and is looking forward to another new challenge as he will face another unfamiliar track when the team arrives at the hi-banked one-mile Rockingham Speedway. Johnny Chapman will pilot the #07 Toyota Tundra for SS Green Light Racing.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(4-12-2012)
- Holman to attempt series debut at Rockingham: Henderson Motorsports and Caleb Holman plan to make their NASCAR Camping World Truck Series second series attempt this weekend in the at Rockingham Speedway in the Good Sam Road Side Assistance 200 presented by Cheerwine on Sunday April 15th. Henderson Motorsports and Holman had planned to make their Truck Series debut at Martinsville Speedway two weeks ago, but failed to make the event. Holman has had five starts with two top 5’s and three top 10’s at Rockingham Speedway in the USAR Pro Cup Series. This weekend the Food Country USA Chevrolet will be partnered up with Wise Snack Foods on the #75-Henderson Motorsports Chevrolet. You can purchase Wise Snacks in all Food Country USA grocery stores.(Henderson Motorsports/Holman PR)(4-12-2012)
- CONSOL Energy to sponsor King at Rockingham: Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender John King continues his championship points lead after earning a ninth place finish at Martinsville Speedway. This marks the first time in series history that a rookie has led the standings after multiple events. King leads the standings by one point over teammate, Timothy Peters. CONSOL Energy has joined forces with John King and Red Horse Racing as primary sponsor for the #7 Toyota Tundra this weekend at Rockingham Speedway. Nearing its 150th anniversary, CONSOL Energy, which began production in 1864, is the leading diversified fuel producer in the Eastern United States, producing both coal and natural gas. King will show support for the The Davis Love Foundation located on the deck lid and tailgate of the #7 Tundra. Davis Love III has 20 career PGA victories and won the 1997 PGA Championship. The foundation was founded in 2005 as a nonprofit organization with a main focus to help build and support those at risk for poor educational, economic, social and health related outcomes.(Red Horse Racing PR)(4-11-2012)
- NASCAR legend Donnie Allison to serve as honorary starter at Rockingham: The Allison name and Rockingham are intertwined in NASCAR history. That history will continue on Sunday as NASCAR legend and two-time Rockingham Speedway winner Donnie Allison will wave the green flag to start the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 presented by Cheerwine at the track. In addition to his 1968 win, Allison earned his second trip to Rockingham’s victory lane in 1977. Allison is one of only four drivers with wins on both configurations of the track (the track was razed and rebuilt to its current specifications between the spring and fall races in 1969). The other three who can make that claim, David Pearson, Richard Petty and Bobby Allison, are in the NASCAR Hall of Fame. For his career, Allison made 24 starts at the speedway, leading 786 laps, capturing three poles and 12 top-10 finishes. The 36-truck field is scheduled to take the green flag at 1:00pm/et on Sunday, April 15.(Rockingham Speedway PR)(4-11-2012)
- Harraka & Wauters Motorsports team with Send A Soldier to The Rock: UPDATE image added Race fans across the country can now support the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series’ return to Rockingham Speedway and our men and women in uniform through an initiative called “Send a Soldier to the Rock.” NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver Paulie Harraka and team Wauters Motorsports #5 Ford F-150 will adorn the design for the inaugural NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Rockingham Speedway Sunday, April 15, 2012. In advance of the Sunday, April 15 Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 presented by Cheerwine at Rockingham, fans are encouraged to purchase a $20 general admission ticket for distribution to a soldier at nearby Fort Bragg, N.C., home of the U.S. Army Airborne and Special Operations Command. All tickets purchased will be held at will call for the soldiers and their families. [For more details on the program, visit the Rockingham Speedway website.] The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event at Rockingham Speedway is slated for Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 1:00 pm/et.(Wauters Motorsports PR)(4-9-2012)
UPDATE: Rendering of the #5 Send a Soldier to the Rock is posted on the #5 NCWTS 2012 Paint Schemes page.(4-11-2012)
- Rockingham revisited as series makes first trip: Rockingham Speedway, a piece of NASCAR history lost for nearly a decade, roars back to life Sunday when the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series makes its initial visit to North Carolina’s sand hills region. Opened in 1965 — NASCAR’s fourth paved track measuring a mile or greater in length – Rockingham Speedway hosted 78 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events through 2004. The final race ranked as one of the track’s most exciting as Matt Kenseth held off Kasey Kahne’s furious last–lap, final–turn challenge to win by .010 seconds. Appropriately, Kahne intends to be in the field for Sunday’s (SPEED, 1:00pm/et) Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 Presented by Cheerwine.
Known upon completion as North Carolina Motor Speedway, the track was built by Harold Brasington and Bill Land. Brasington also built Darlington Raceway, which heralded NASCAR’s superspeedway era in 1950. The track saw a succession of owners including the DeWitt family, Roger Penske, International Speedway Corp. and Speedway Motorsports. Its closure in 2004 coincided with transfer of the track’s remaining date to Texas Motor Speedway. Current owner and former NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Andy Hillenburg purchased “The Rock” at auction in 2007.
This week’s race is the culmination of a five–year project by Hillenburg. Three ARCA races were held at the track in 2008–10 – two of them won by current NASCAR Camping World Truck Series competitors Ty Dillon and Parker Kligerman. “Kudos to Andy for being able to pull that off,” said Mark Martin, whose 13 victories – two NASCAR Sprint Cup, 11 NASCAR Nationwide – lead all drivers at Rockingham. “It’s cool to see them have the truck race there. Rockingham is just a ball to race on.”(NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications)[See complete article including more history on the Rockingham Race Info page.](4-11-2012)
- Bodine former two-time winner at Rockingham: For the first time the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will take on the infamous Rockingham Speedway. No NASCAR sanctioned event has been held at ‘The Rock’ since February 22, 2004.Two-time Truck Series champion Todd Bodine will once again climb behind the wheel of the #11 Red Horse Racing Toyota Tundra for the Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 presented by Cheerwine for the Sunday showdown. The Red Horse driver sits 10th in the point standings heading into this weekend’s event. Bodine has a total of 21 NASCAR Nationwide Series starts, accumulating two visits to victory lane in 1995 and again in 2001, while collecting eight top-five and 13 top-10 finishes. He has 160 laps led, an average starting spot of 15.7 and finishing spot of 11.7 in his Nationwide Series career. Bodine also has 13 Sprint Cup starts with his best qualifying effort of third back in 2002. Bodine got behind the wheel of his first Toyota Tundra in 2004 and continues his support for the prestigious brand during the 2012 season. Toyota will be on board in an effort to help Bodine capture his third driver championship and their sixth manufacturer’s championship. Toyota will serve as primary sponsor for the next three races on Bodine’s #11 Toyota Tundra starting this weekend at Rockingham Speedway into Kansas Speedway and again at Charlotte Motor Speedway.(Red Horse Racing PR)(4-11-2012)
- Buescher to pilot Koike Aronson Ransome machine starting at Rockingham: UPDATE image added: Turner Motorsports is pleased to announce the addition of Koike Aronson Ransome to the sponsorship line-up for the 2012 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series program. The manufacturer of high quality cutting equipment and positioning machinery will adorn the hood and sides of the #31 Chevy Silverado driven by James Buescher during the 2012 campaign. Buescher will see action behind the wheel of the Koike machine in five NCWTS races including Rockingham Speedway, Dover International Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, Pocono Raceway and Talladega Superspeedway. Koike Aronson Ransome designs and manufactures one of the world’s broadest lines of welding positioners and thermal cutting products, as well as supplying portable and gas apparatus equipment.(Turner Motorsports PR)(4-2-2012)
UPDATE: Rendering of the Turner Motorsports #31-Koike Aronson Chevrolet is posted on the #31 NCWTS 2012 Paint Schemes page.(4-10-2012)
- Ty Dillon heads to Rockingham with ARCA win history: Ty Dillon will pilot the #3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet Silverado from the Richard Childress Racing stable in Sunday’s Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 at Rockingham Speedway. Dillon is no stranger to the one-mile race track earning a win in 2010 at the Rockingham, NC, Speedway in ARCA Racing Series. The 20-year-old racer started from the sixth position and lead 41 laps before taking the checkered flag for the second time in just his third appearance in the ARCA Racing Series. After Dillon’s second-place showing at Martinsville Speedway, he currently sits fourth in the Camping World Truck Series driver’s championship point standings just four markers behind the leader. Dillon is tied for the lead with John King for the 2012 Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors. The two drivers have a total of 32 points after two races on the Camping World Truck Series schedule.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(4-10-2012)
- Lofton returns to site of 2009 ARCA Championship Celebration: This week Justin Lofton returns to the site of one of the most memorable moments of his racing career – Rockingham Speedway, as the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series ushers in NASCAR’s return to the historic track. Etched with history, the 47-year-old track is special to the 26-year-old Lofton after he celebrated the ARCA Racing Series championship at “The Rock” in 2009. Just like in 2009, Lofton will be piloting a #6 entry for Eddie Sharp Racing as he wheels the #6 College Complete.com Chevrolet within the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Though this week will be his first in a truck at the track, Lofton has raced at “The Rock” three times within ARCA competition. The most important run at the eastern North Carolina track in October of 2009 provided the most challenges. Entering the race Lofton had a small 15-point lead over Parker Kligerman in the championship standings When it was all said and done, Kligerman took the checkered flag, but Lofton took the championship trophy courtesy of a third place finish. He wrapped up the championship with a narrow five-point margin over Kligerman. The Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 Presented by Cheerwine is set for Sunday, April 15th at 1:00pm Eastern.(ESR/Justin Lofton PR(4-10-2012)
- George set for first RCR 2012 start: Tim George Jr. will pilot Chassis #047 from the Richard Childress Racing NASCAR Camping World Truck Series stable in this weekend’s Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200. This weekend’s 200-miler marks Tim George Jr.’s first appearance behind the wheel of the #2 Applebee’s Chevrolet Silverado for the 2012 season. George Jr. is slated to compete in a total of 12 Camping World Truck Series races for RCR this season. The 31-year-old driver will also see on-track action at Kansas Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, Iowa Speedway (both races), Kentucky Speedway, Pocono Raceway, Michigan International Speedway, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Talladega Superspeedway and Homestead-Miami Speedway. George Jr. has three previous starts at the historic one-mile track in the ARCA Racing Series. Before competing in the Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200, George Jr. will pilot the No. 2 Applebee’s Chevrolet UARA Late Model for Team Dillon Racing on Saturday, April 14. George Jr. is slated to run 12 events under the TDR banner this season in the UARA Late Model.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(4-10-2012)
- ThorSport set to break record at Rockingham: ThorSport Racing, the Truck Series’ longest-standing organization, is breaking yet another record this weekend at Rockingham Speedway. When the green flag waves, it will mark the 350th consecutive event in which ThorSport Racing has had at least one truck entered, breaking Roush Fenway Racing’s previous record of 349. Matt Crafton has been behind the wheel of the #88 truck for 249 of those starts. Johnny Sauter has been behind the wheel of the #13 for 77 of those starts.(ThorSport Racing PR)(4-10-2012)
- Reutimann double-duty weekend; McCumbee to help out: Ricky Benton Racing Enterprises #92 BTS Tire and Wheel Distributors/fleetHQ.com/QMI team and driver David Reutimann are ready to tackle the high banks of the Rockingham Speedway for the inaugural Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 presented by Cheerwine at the venerable one-mile track. Reutimann will have to race the truck to the front if the team makes the race. Due to Reutimann’s Sprint Cup commitment at Texas Motor Speedway, ARCA veteran Chad McCumbee will be practicing and qualifying the #92. Per NASCAR rules, a driver change between qualifying and the race requires the truck start at the rear of the field.(RBR PR)(4-10-2012)
- Weber to drive #74 at Rockingham: Brian Weber will be back behind the wheel of the KOMA UNWIND Relaxation Drink, Mike Harmon Racing #74 in this weeks Sam Roadside Assistance 200 Presented by Cheerwine NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on April 15. In addition to our continued brand building for Koma Unwind, BeBevCo and its team have bought a block of 90 seats for the upcoming race which will provide a relaxing afternoon at the speedway for the U.S.Marines from Camp Lejune NC as well as fly the decals for the Marines. Rockingham Raceway is also providing an additional 100 tickets for the event. Brian Weber, BeBevCo’s CEO is working out the dissemination of tickets with the Marines and their ‘Single Marines Outreach Program’.(BeBevco PR)(4-10-2012)
- Jeb Burton picks up late-model win at Ace Speedway: As the nose of Speedy Faucette’s car crept closer on the climactic restart, Jeb Burton experienced something indicative of the tension-filled situation. I kind of shuddered,” he said. Burton, held on to claim victory Friday night in the first 75-lap Late Models feature of the season at Ace Speedway [Altamahaw, NC]. Burton, from Halifax, Va., made his NASCAR trucks series debut last weekend and finished 13th at Martinsville Speedway .He led the final 34 laps here Friday night and collected a winner’s trophy topped off with a stuffed animal — an Easter bunny.(Times-News.com)(4-7-2012)
- Gresham forms association with BugBand: BugBand and its line of natural insect repellent products announced today that they have become the first Made In USA Brand Certified company to partner with NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver Max Gresham. The BugBand association with Gresham will mark the first time any company has become a sponsorship partner with his Made In USA Brand on-track awareness program. BugBand, a Cartersville, Ga. company, features a full line of wristbands, pump spray’s, towelette and diffuser products with the active ingredient Geraniol. Unlike products that use Deet — a synthetic, manufactured chemical — BugBand products are naturally derived, featuring Geraniol, concentrated oil that is extracted from geranium flowers. BugBand will make its NASCAR Camping World Truck Series track debut on Gresham’s #24 Chevrolet on Friday, May 18 in the North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.(Joe Denette Motorsports PR)(4-4-2012)
- Rockingham offering “Send a Soldier to the Rock” program: Rockingham Speedway is offering a special program that allows fans to purchase tickets for servicemen and women. “Send a Soldier to The Rock” is partnering with Fort Bragg to distribute tickets to men and women in uniform for the upcoming Good Sam Roadside Assistance 200 presented by Cheerwine NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on April 15. “Fans have begun adding an additional ticket to their order for the soldiers,” said Rockingham Speedway President Andy Hillenburg. “Some have even purchased blocks of 3-4 seats. This program started at the grassroots level, and we couldn’t be happier to give it our seal of approval. Nothing is too good for our military men and women, and we look forward to hosting them April 13-15.” Three days of racing beginning Friday, April 13 with practice for the NASCAR Camping World Truck and UARA-STARS Late Model Series, along with practice and qualifying for Frank Kimmel Street Stock Nationals. For more details, visit the Rockingham Speedway website. (Rockingham PR)(4-2-2012)
- Martinsville truck images added: Added several images from Martinsville Speedway race including: #2-Kevin Harvick, Tide/Kroger Chevrolet; #3-Ty Dillon, Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats Chevrolet; #17-Timothy Peters, NTB Service Central Toyota, #08-Ross Chastain, Watermelon.org Toyota, #27-Jeb Burton, State Water Heaters Chevrolet; #5-Paulie Harraka, mc10 Ford; plus many more. Check them out via the 2012 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Paint Schemes page.(4-2-2012)