Jayski's NASCAR Archives

NASCAR fines drivers for comments – UPDATE 2, drivers named?

  • NASCAR has fined at least two of its star drivers this season for making critical comments about the racing series, The Associated Press has learned. People familiar with the penalties told the AP the comments were considered disparaging to the sport. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because NASCAR is not publicly identifying the topflight drivers it fined. They say one driver was penalized as much as $50,000. The decision to fine competitors for critical comments puts NASCAR in line with many other professional sports leagues. The NFL and NBA both routinely issue fines for criticism of officiating. It also backs up NASCAR’s season-long campaign to rebuild the slumping sport through an improved on-track product and off-track promotion from its drivers.(Associated Press/ESPN.com)(7-26-2010)
    UPDATE: The Associated Press has learned that NASCAR warned teams during the offseason that public criticism of the sport would no longer be tolerated, and at least two star drivers have been fined-one as much as $50,000-for comments that were deemed destructive to the industry. NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston on Monday night confirmed some action had been taken, but would not discuss details. “It is the sanctioning body’s obligation on behalf of the industry and our fans to protect the sport’s brand,” Poston said. “Any action taken by NASCAR has nothing to do with the drivers expressing an opinion-it’s focused on actions or comments that materially damage the sport. We have specifically discussed this in meetings with teams, drivers and stakeholders.” Drivers all declined to publicly discuss the policy, but it shouldn’t come as any surprise-considering NASCAR’s heightened effort this year to re-ignite interest in a sport that’s been fighting sagging attendance, declining television ratings and overall fan apathy for several seasons. NASCAR has taken several aggressive steps toward improving the on-track product, but its top brass decided that outstanding events aren’t enough to overcome the negative perception created every time a driver publicly blasts the series. (Associated Press)(7-27-2010)
    UPDATE 2: #39-Ryan Newman and #11-Denny Hamlin were the two Sprint Cup drivers fined by NASCAR for making disparaging comments about the series, multiple sources told ESPN.com. Neither driver could be reached for comment. Newman was fined first and Hamlin second, the sources said. The sources would not confirm which statements made by the drivers were responsible for the fines, but both drivers have been outspoken on several issues.(7-29-2010)