Below is a look at some of the top statistical performers at Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma, California going into the Toyota / Save Mart 350 on June 6 at 4 p.m. ET on FS1, PRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.
Sonoma Raceway Data
Season Race #: 15 of 36 (06-06-21)
Track Size: 2.52-miles
Number of Turns: 12 varying
Track: Multi-Elevational Road Course
Race Length: 90 laps / 226.8 miles
Stage 1 and 2 Length: 20 laps (each)
Final Stage Length: 50 laps
Top 12 Sonoma Driver Ratings
|Martin Truex Jr.||96.8|
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2020 races (15 total) among active drivers at Sonoma Raceway.
The NASCAR Cup Series 2021 Top 16 in the Driver Standings at Sonoma Raceway
|Rank||Driver||Races||Poles||Wins||Top Fives||Top 10s||DNFs||Average Finish||Driver Rating|
|6||Martin Truex Jr||14||0||3||4||5||3||18.1||96.8|
* – Based on last 15 races at Sonoma Raceway (Loop Data from 2005-Present).
2019 pole winner (last race):
Kyle Larson, Chevrolet
95.712 mph, 94.784 secs. 06-22-19
2019 race winner (last race):
Martin Truex Jr., Toyota
83.922 mph, (02:42:09), 06-23-19
At Sonoma Raceway:
- The track opened as a 2.52-mile road course and drag strip in 1968.
- The first NASCAR Cup race at Sonoma Raceway was held on June 11, 1989, and was won by Ricky Rudd in a Buick at an average speed of 76.088 mph. He led 61 of 74 scheduled laps.
- The first nine NASCAR Cup Series races at Sonoma were 300 kilometers and switched to a 350k format in 1998.
- The track was reconfigured to 1.949-miles in 1998 with the installation of an 890-foot chute between the original Turns 4 and 7.
- The track was reconfigured to 2.0 miles in 2001 and re-measured at 1.99 miles in 2002.
- In 2019, the track was reconfigured back to the original 2.52-mile configuration; the event will be 90 laps – 226.8 miles.
- There have been 31 NASCAR Cup Series races at Sonoma Raceway since the first race there in 1989 – one race per season until last year due to the pandemic the series did not compete at Sonoma Raceway.
- A total of 225 different drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Cup Series race at Sonoma Raceway; 156 have competed in more than one.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon leads the NASCAR Cup Series in starts at Sonoma Raceway with 23 starts.
- Kevin Harvick and Kurt Busch lead all active drivers in the series in starts at Sonoma with 19 each.
- A total of 48 different drivers have made their first series start at Sonoma Raceway.
- Kyle Larson (seven starts) leads the series in average starting position at Sonoma with a 2.5.
Top 10 in Average Starting Position at Sonoma Raceway (All-Time and Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg. Start||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Start||Races|
|1||Kyle Larson||2.500||7||1||Kyle Larson||2.500||7|
|2||William Byron||5.000||3||2||William Byron||5.000||3|
|3||Rusty Wallace||6.941||17||3||Chase Elliott||7.750||5|
|4||Marcos Ambrose||7.143||7||4||Kurt Busch||10.421||20|
|5||Jeff Gordon||7.696||23||5||Daniel Suarez||10.667||4|
|6||Chase Elliott||7.750||5||6||Joey Logano||11.273||12|
|7||Ricky Rudd||9.056||18||7||Martin Truex Jr||12.643||15|
|8||Mark Martin||9.952||21||8||Ryan Blaney||13.250||5|
|9||Kurt Busch||10.421||20||9||Ryan Newman||13.611||19|
|10||Alan Kulwicki||10.500||4||10||Kyle Busch||13.933||16|
- A total of 18 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won at least one pole at Sonoma Raceway.
- Three active NASCAR Cup Series Sonoma pole winners are entered this weekend.
|Active Sonoma Pole Winners||Poles||Seasons|
|Kyle Larson||3||2019, 2018, 2017|
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon leads the series in poles at Sonoma Raceway with five (1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2005).
- Kyle Larson leads all active drivers in poles at Sonoma Raceway with three (2017, 2018, 2019).
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Rusty Wallace won the inaugural pole at Sonoma in 1989 with a speed of 90.041 mph driving a Pontiac.
- Four drivers have won consecutive series poles at Sonoma: Ricky Rudd (three: 1990, 1991, 1992), Jeff Gordon (1998, 1999 and 2004, 2005), Jamie McMurray (2013, 2014) and Kyle Larson (three: 2017, 2018, 2019).
- Youngest series Sonoma pole winner: Joey Logano (June 26, 2011 – 21 years, 1 month, 2 days).
- Oldest series Sonoma pole winner: Rusty Wallace (June 25, 2000 – 43 years, 10 months, 11 days).
- Only one NASCAR Cup Series driver has posted his first series career pole at Sonoma – Boris Said (June 22, 2003).
- Four drivers have won Busch poles at Sonoma in two different manufacturers; see chart below:
|Ricky Rudd||3 (Chevrolet)||1 (Ford)|
|Jamie McMurray||2 (Chevrolet)||1 (Ford)|
|Kasey Kahne||1 (Dodge)||1 (Ford)|
|Rusty Wallace||1 (Ford)||1 (Pontiac)|
- Five different manufacturers in the NASCAR Cup Series have won a pole at Sonoma Raceway – Chevrolet (16 poles), Ford (seven), Pontiac (three), Toyota (three) and Dodge (two).
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip leads the series in road course poles (all-time) with nine Busch Pole Awards – all at Riverside International Raceway (1980, three-race sweep in 1981, 1982, two races in 1983, 1985 and 1986).
- A total of 19 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won at Sonoma Raceway.
- Four NASCAR Cup Series active Sonoma winner are entered this weekend.
|Active Sonoma Race Winners||Wins||Seasons|
|Martin Truex Jr||3||2019, 2018, 2013|
|Kyle Busch||2||2015, 2008|
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon leads the series in wins at Sonoma Raceway with five victories (1998, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006).
- Joe Gibbs Racing’s Martin Truex Jr. (2013, 2018, 2019) leads all active drivers in wins at Sonoma Raceway in the NASCAR Cup Series with three victories.
- Jeff Gordon leads the NASCAR Cup Series in road course wins with nine (Sonoma, five; Watkins Glen, four); Tony Stewart has the second most road course wins all-time with eight (Watkins Glen, five; Sonoma, three).
- Chase Elliott leads all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in road course wins with six victories (Watkins Glen, two; Charlotte ROVAL, two; Daytona RC, COTA).
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison holds the NASCAR Cup Series record for the most wins at a single road course track – with six victories at Riverside International Raceway.
- Only two drivers have posted consecutive NASCAR Cup Series wins at Sonoma Raceway: Jeff Gordon (1998 and 1999 were each from the pole and the 2000 win was from the fifth starting position). Martin Truex Jr. (2018 was from the outside front row and 2019 was from eighth starting position).
- Youngest series Sonoma winner: Kyle Busch (June 22, 2008 – 23 years, 1 month, 20 days).
- Oldest series Sonoma winner: Ricky Rudd (June 23, 2002 – 45 years, 9 months, 11 days).
- Five of the 31 (16.13%) NASCAR Cup Series races at Sonoma Raceway have been won from the pole; the most recent was Jeff Gordon in 2004.
- Jeff Gordon leads the series in wins from the pole at Sonoma with three (1998, 1999 and 2004).
- The pole position is the most proficient starting position in the field, producing more series wins (five) than any other starting position at Sonoma Raceway.
NASCAR Cup Series Wins by Starting Positions at Sonoma Raceway
|Starting Position||Wins||Winning %||Starting Position||Wins||Winning %|
|Winning from the First Starting Position:||16.13%||5|
|Winning from the Front Row:||29.03%||9|
|Winning from a Top-Five Starting Position:||51.61%||16|
|Winning from a Top-10 Starting Position:||70.97%||22|
|Winning After Starting Outside the Top 20:||6.45%||2|
- The deepest in the field that a race winner has started at Sonoma is 32nd, by Juan Pablo Montoya in 2007.
- Only one other time has a NASCAR Cup Series race been won from a starting position outside the top 15 at Sonoma Raceway – Kyle Busch’s 2008 win; he started from 30th.
- Juan Pablo Montoya is the only NASCAR Cup Series driver to post his first career win at Sonoma Raceway (2007).
- Four drivers have won in two different manufacturers in the NASCAR Cup Series at Sonoma; see chart below:
|Tony Stewart||2 (Chevrolet)||1 (Pontiac)|
|Ricky Rudd||1 (Buick)||1 (Ford)|
|Ernie Irvan||1 (Chevrolet)||1 (Ford)|
|Rusty Wallace||1 (Ford)||1 (Pontiac)|
- Ryan Newman leads the series among active drivers this weekend with the most NASCAR Cup Series starts at Sonoma without visiting Victory Lane at 17.
- In total 15 different organizations have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Sonoma Raceway; eight are active this weekend.
|Rank||Active Organizations||Sonoma Wins|
|2||Joe Gibbs Racing||5|
|3||Richard Childress Racing||2|
|5||Roush Fenway Racing||2|
|7||Chip Ganassi Racing||1|
|8||Richard Petty Motorsports||1|
- Hendrick Motorsports leads the NASCAR Cup Series in wins at Sonoma with six victories (Jeff Gordon with five and Jimmie Johnson with one).
- Six different manufacturers have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Sonoma; led by Chevrolet with 11 victories; followed by Ford with eight, Toyota (five), Dodge (three), Pontiac (two) and Buick (one).
ADDITIONAL FINISHING POSITIONS
- A total of 19 drivers have finished runner-up in the NASCAR Cup Series at Sonoma Raceway.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon leads the series in runner-up finishes with five.
- Kevin Harvick leads all active drivers in the series in runner-up finishes at Sonoma with two.
Top Five in Runner-Up Finishes at Sonoma Raceway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Runner-Ups||Rank||Active Drivers||Runner-Ups|
|1||Jeff Gordon||5||1||Kevin Harvick||2|
|2||Mark Martin||4||2||Denny Hamlin||1|
|3||Tony Stewart||3||Kurt Busch||1|
|4||Kevin Harvick||2||Kyle Busch||1|
|Ricky Rudd||2||Ryan Newman||1|
- A total of 52 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have finished in the top-five at Sonoma.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon leads the series in top-five finishes at Sonoma with 14 top fives.
- Kurt Busch leads all active series drivers in top-five finishes at Sonoma with seven.
Top Five in Top-Five Finishes at Sonoma Raceway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top Fives||Rank||Active Drivers||Top Fives|
|1||Jeff Gordon||14||1||Kurt Busch||7|
|2||Ricky Rudd||10||2||Kevin Harvick||6|
|3||Rusty Wallace||9||3||Kyle Busch||5|
|4||Clint Bowyer||8||4||Denny Hamlin||4|
|5||Kurt Busch||7||5||Martin Truex Jr||4|
- A total of 76 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have finished in the top-10 at Sonoma.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon leads the series in top-10 finishes at Sonoma with 18.
- Kevin Harvick and Kurt Busch lead all active drivers in top 10s at Sonoma with 10 each.
Top Five in Top-10 Finishes at Sonoma Raceway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top 10s||Rank||Active Drivers||Top 10s|
|1||Jeff Gordon||18||1||Kevin Harvick||10|
|2||Mark Martin||13||2||Kurt Busch||10|
|3||Ricky Rudd||11||3||Ryan Newman||8|
|4||Rusty Wallace||11||4||Kyle Busch||7|
|5||Clint Bowyer||10||5||Denny Hamlin||6|
- Jeff Gordon leads the NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Sonoma with an 8.3.
- Clint Bowyer leads all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in average finish at Sonoma with a 10.077.
Top 10 in Average Finishing Positions at Sonoma Raceway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Driver||Avg Finish||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Finish||Races|
|1||Jeff Gordon||8.304||23||1||Kevin Harvick||12.737||20|
|2||Dale Earnhardt||8.583||12||2||Ryan Newman||12.833||19|
|3||Clint Bowyer||10.143||14||3||Erik Jones||13.333||4|
|4||Rick Wilson||10.500||4||4||Kurt Busch||13.579||20|
|5||Marcos Ambrose||11.286||7||5||Joey Logano||14.273||12|
|6||Ricky Rudd||11.722||18||6||Kyle Busch||15.267||16|
|7||Tony Stewart||11.778||18||7||Daniel Suarez||16.000||4|
|8||Mark Martin||11.857||21||8||Brad Keselowski||16.800||11|
|9||Jimmie Johnson||12.389||18||9||Ryan Blaney||17.250||5|
|10||Kevin Harvick||12.737||20||10||Chase Elliott||17.500||5|
- A total of 74 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have led at least one lap at Sonoma Raceway.
- Jeff Gordon leads the NASCAR Cup Series in laps led at Sonoma Raceway with 457 laps led in 23 starts.
- Martin Truex Jr. leads all active Cup drivers with 213 laps led in 15 Sonoma Raceway starts.
Top 10 in Average Finishing Positions at Sonoma Raceway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Led||Completed||% Led|
|2||Martin Truex Jr||213||1380||15%|
|Rank||Active Drivers||Led||Completed||% Led|
|1||Martin Truex Jr||213||1380||15%|
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon has led the most laps at Sonoma Raceway in a single NASCAR Cup Series race and won with 92 laps led of the scheduled 110 laps (83.6%) on June 27, 2004.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Mark Martin led the most laps at Sonoma Raceway in a single NASCAR Cup Series race and did not win (finished second) after leading 66 of the 74 scheduled laps (89.1%) on May 7, 1995.
- The fewest laps led by a NASCAR Cup Series winner at Sonoma Raceway is two laps and it has happened twice; in 1991 Davey Allison led just two laps en route to the win at Sonoma and in 1995 Dale Earnhardt led just two laps en route to the win.
TRACK SPECIFIC STATS
- Since the advent of electronic scoring in 1993, the closest margin of victory (MOV) in the NASCAR Cup Series at Sonoma Raceway is the June 27, 1999 race won by Jeff Gordon over Mark Martin with a margin of victory of 0.197 second.
Top Five Closest Margins of Victory at Sonoma Raceway in the NASCAR Cup Series
|Margin of Victory||Date||Race Winner||Runner-Up|
|0.197||6/27/1999||Jeff Gordon||Mark Martin|
|0.320||5/7/1995||Dale Earnhardt||Mark Martin|
|0.460||5/5/1996||Rusty Wallace||Mark Martin|
|0.532||6/28/2015||Kyle Busch||Kurt Busch|
|0.553||6/22/2003||Robby Gordon||Jeff Gordon|
- Qualifying has never been cancelled in the NASCAR Cup Series at Sonoma Raceway. But this weekend’s event will have the starting lineups determined by Metric Qualifying.
- None of the 31 NASCAR Cup Series races at Sonoma Raceway have been shortened due to weather conditions.
- None of the 31 NASCAR Cup Series races at Sonoma Raceway have been postponed to a later date.
- There have been three NASCAR Cup Series races resulting in NASCAR Overtime at Sonoma Raceway:
|Date||Actual No. of Laps||Scheduled No. of Laps||NASCAR Overtime Laps||Race Winner|
- Danica Patrick is the only female driver in the NASCAR Cup Series to compete at Sonoma Raceway.
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Driver Rating||Date|
NASCAR IN CALIFORNIA
- There has been a total of 206 NASCAR national series races held in the state of California among 17 different tracks.
|Tracks in California|
|Track Name||City||Cup||Xfinity||Truck||Total Races||Years|
|Auto Club Speedway||Fontana||31||31||13||75||1997|
|Riverside International Raceway||Riverside||48||0||0||48||1958|
|Mesa Marin Raceway||Bakersfield||0||0||9||9||1995|
|Ontario Motor Speedway||Ontario||9||0||0||9||1971|
|California State Fairgrounds||Sacramento||6||0||0||6||1956|
|Ascot Stadium||Los Angeles||3||0||0||3||1957|
|Bay Meadows Race Track||San Mateo||3||0||0||3||1954|
|Willow Springs Speedway||Lancaster||2||0||0||2||1956|
|Santa Clara Fairgrounds||San Jose||1||0||0||1||1957|
- The first NASCAR national series event held in the state of California was a NASCAR Cup Series race on April 8, 1951 at Carrell Speedway. The race was won by Marshall Teague (Hudson).
CALIFORNIA DRIVERS IN NASCAR
- A total of 450 drivers in NASCAR national series history have their home state recorded as California.
- 43 of the 450 Californian drivers in NASCAR have posted at least one win in one of NASCAR’s three national series. The list of winners is below:
|Drivers from California|
|Ron Hornaday Jr||0||4||51||55|
— NASCAR —