Below is a look at the top statistical performers at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina, going into the Coca-Cola 600 on May 29 (6 p.m. ET on FOX, PRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).
Charlotte Motor Speedway NASCAR Cup Series Qualifying / Race Data
Track qualifying record:
Kurt Busch, Chevrolet, 198.771 mph, 27.167 secs. October 9, 2014
2021 pole winner:
Kyle Larson, Chevrolet, 180.282 mph, 29.953 secs. May 29, 2021
Track race record (600 miles):
Martin Truex Jr., Toyota, 160.655 mph, (03:44:05), May 29, 2016
2021 Coca-Cola 600 race winner:
Kyle Larson, Chevrolet, 150.785 mph, (03:58:45), May 30, 2021
At Charlotte Motor Speedway:
- Construction began on Charlotte Motor Speedway (CMS) in 1959.
- The track’s first NASCAR Cup Series race was held on June 19, 1960 and won by Joe Lee Johnson in a Chevrolet.
- The track was repaved midseason in 1994.
- The track name changed from Charlotte Motor Speedway to Lowe’s Motor Speedway in 1999. It changed back to Charlotte Motor Speedway for the 2010 season.
- The track was re-paved again before the 2006 season.
- In 2018, the Charlotte Motor Speedway introduced the road course configuration (ROVAL) and in the process relinquished the track’s second event on the oval configuration effectively creating a new road course track on the schedule – the Charlotte Motor Speedway Road Course (ROVAL).
- There have been 123 NASCAR Cup Series points races at Charlotte Motor Speedway, two races per year from when the track opened in 1960 until 2017. Starting in 2018, Charlotte Motor Speedway has hosted just one race on the oval configuration, with the exclusion of the 2020 season due to the pandemic reschedule the series competed in two races on the oval.
- In 1961, there were two 100-mile qualifying points races held the week before the May race. The first six fall races at Charlotte were 400-mile events (1960-65).
- A total of 562 different drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Cup Series points-paying race at Charlotte Motor Speedway; 408 have competed in more than one.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in starts at Charlotte Motor Speedway with 64.
- Kurt Busch leads all active drivers in series starts at Charlotte with 40; followed by Kevin Harvick with 39 each.
- A total of 65 different drivers in NASCAR Cup Series history have made their first series career start at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- Two active series drivers have made their first career start at Charlotte Motor Speedway: Kyle Larson (10/12/13) and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (05/29/11).
- Jack Sprague (two starts) leads the series in average starting position at Charlotte Motor Speedway with a 5.0.
- William Byron leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series in average starting position at Charlotte Motor Speedway with a 7.4 in five starts.
Top 10 in Average Starting Position at Charlotte Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg Start||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Start||Races|
|1||Jack Sprague||5.000||2||1||William Byron||7.400||5|
|2||Fireball Roberts||5.200||10||2||Tyler Reddick||11.000||3|
|3||David Pearson||6.391||46||3||Chase Elliott||11.200||10|
|4||Joe Weatherly||6.667||9||4||Denny Hamlin||11.633||30|
|5||Fred Lorenzen||7.056||18||5||Kyle Busch||11.879||33|
|6||Pete Hamilton||7.167||6||6||Daniel Suarez||12.500||4|
|7||William Byron||7.400||5||7||Joey Logano||12.522||23|
|8||Paul Goldsmith||7.889||9||8||Christopher Bell||14.667||3|
|9||Curtis Turner||8.444||9||9||Austin Dillon||14.923||13|
|10||Cale Yarborough||9.520||50||10||Brad Keselowski||15.318||23|
- A total of 48 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won the pole at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- Nine of the 48 NASCAR Cup Series Charlotte Motor Speedway pole winners are active this weekend.
|Active Pole Winners||Poles||Seasons|
|Kyle Busch||3||2018, 2014, 2008|
|Kevin Harvick||2||2017, 2016|
|Denny Hamlin||2||2017, 2013|
|Martin Truex Jr||1||2016|
- NASCAR Hall of Famer David Pearson leads the NASCAR Cup Series in poles at Charlotte Motor Speedway with 14 poles (1961, 1972, 1973, 1974 sweep, 1975 sweep, 1976 sweep, 1977 sweep, 1978 sweep, 1982).
- Kyle Busch leads all active drivers in poles at Charlotte Motor Speedway with three (2008, 2014, 2018)
- Fireball Roberts won the inaugural NASCAR Cup Series pole at Charlotte Motor Speedway (World 600) in 1960 with a speed of 133.904 mph.
- A total of 14 different drivers have won consecutive poles at Charlotte; Kevin Harvick is the most recent driver to post consecutive poles (2016 Playoffs, 2017 May race) at the 1.5-mile track.
- David Pearson holds the record for most consecutive poles at Charlotte with 11-straight from the fall of 1973 through 1978.
- Youngest Charlotte Cup pole winner: William Byron (May 26, 2019 – 21 years, 4 months, 27 days)
- Oldest Charlotte Cup pole winner: Bobby Allison (October 11, 1987 – 49 years, 10 months, 8 days).
- Eight drivers have posted their first career NASCAR Cup Series pole at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
|First-Time Pole Winners at Charlotte||Date|
|Aric Almirola||Sunday, May 27, 2012|
|Brett Bodine||Sunday, October 7, 1990|
|Dale Earnhardt Jr||Sunday, May 28, 2000|
|Derrike Cope||Sunday, October 4, 1998|
|Donnie Allison||Sunday, May 26, 1968|
|Jeff Gordon||Sunday, October 10, 1993|
|Ryan Newman||Sunday, May 27, 2001|
|Ward Burton||Sunday, October 9, 1994|
- Wood Brothers Racing leads the NASCAR Cup Series in poles at Charlotte Motor Speedway with 20 poles among five drivers: Marvin Panch (1963), Cale Yarborough (1967 sweep, 1969), David Pearson (1972, 1973, 1974 sweep, 1975 sweep, 1976 sweep, 1977 sweep, 1978 sweep), Neil Bonnett (1979 sweep, 1981), and Buddy Baker (1983).
- Eight different manufacturers have won at least one NASCAR Cup Series pole at Charlotte Motor Speedway, led by Chevrolet with 35 poles, followed by Ford (30), Mercury (14), Dodge (13), Pontiac (10), Toyota (8), Buick (6) and Plymouth (4).
- A total of 53 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- Nine of the 53 NASCAR Cup Series Charlotte Motor Speedway winners are active this weekend.
|Active Race Winners||Wins||Seasons|
|Kevin Harvick||3||2014, 2013, 2011|
|Martin Truex Jr||3||2019, 2017, 2016|
|Brad Keselowski||2||2020, 2013|
- Jimmie Johnson leads the NASCAR Cup Series in wins at Charlotte Motor Speedway with eight victories (2003 summer, 2004 sweep, 2005 sweep, 2009 Playoffs, 2014 summer, 2016 Playoffs).
- Youngest Charlotte winner: Jeff Gordon (May 29, 1994 – 22 years, 9 months, 25 days).
- Oldest Charlotte winner: Cale Yarborough (October 6, 1985 – 46 years, 6 months, 9 days).
- 10 drivers have posted their first career NASCAR Cup Series win at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
|First-Time Cup Winners at Charlotte||Date|
|Austin Dillon||Sunday, May 28, 2017|
|David Reutimann||Monday, May 25, 2009|
|Casey Mears||Sunday, May 27, 2007|
|Jamie McMurray||Sunday, October 13, 2002|
|Matt Kenseth||Sunday, May 28, 2000|
|Bobby Labonte||Sunday, May 28, 1995|
|Jeff Gordon||Sunday, May 29, 1994|
|Charlie Glotzbach||Sunday, October 20, 1968|
|Buddy Baker||Sunday, October 15, 1967|
|David Pearson||Sunday, May 28, 1961|
- Nine drivers have posted consecutive wins at Charlotte Motor Speedway, including three consecutive by NASCAR Hall of Famer Fred Lorenzen (fall 1964 and both 1965) and four-straight by Jimmie Johnson (2004 and 2005 sweeps).
- A total of 27 different starting positions on the grid have led to wins in the 123 NASCAR Cup Series races at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- The first starting position is the most proficient starting position in the field, producing more winners (18) than any other starting position at Charlotte Motor Speedway – a winning percentage of 14.63%.
- 18 of the 123 NASCAR Cup Series races at Charlotte (14.6%) have been won from the pole or first starting position; the most recent was Kyle Larson in the 2021 Coca-Cola 600.
NASCAR Cup Series Wins by Starting Positions at Charlotte Motor Speedway
|Starting Position||Wins||Winning %||Starting Position||Wins||Winning %|
|Winning from the First Starting Position:||14.63%||18|
|Winning from the Front Row:||28.46%||35|
|Winning from a Top-Five Starting Position:||55.28%||68|
|Winning from a Top-10 Starting Position:||73.98%||91|
|Winning After Starting Outside the Top 20:||8.13%||10|
- The deepest in the field that a NASCAR Cup Series race winner has started at Charlotte is 37th, by Jimmie Johnson in the Coca-Cola 600 of 2003. A total of 10 races have been won from outside the top-20 (8.13%).
- Denny Hamlin leads the series among active drivers with the most NASCAR Cup Series starts at Charlotte without visiting Victory Lane at 30; followed by Michael McDowell with 22 starts without a win and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. with 17.
- A total of 35 different drivers have won the Coca-Cola 600 in the NASCAR Cup Series.
- Seven of the 35 NASCAR Cup Series Coca-Cola 600 winners are active this weekend.
|Active Race Winners||Coke 600 Wins||Seasons|
|Martin Truex Jr||2||2019, 2016|
|Kevin Harvick||2||2013, 2011|
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip leads the series in Coca-Cola 600 wins with five victories (1978, 1979, 1985, 1988, 1989).
- Kevin Harvick (2011, 2013) and Martin Truex Jr. (2016, 2019) lead all active drivers in Coca-Cola 600 wins with two victories each.
- A total of 38 different organizations have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- Eight of 38 winning organizations at Charlotte Motor Speedway are entered this weekend.
|Rank||Active Organizations||Charlotte Cup Wins|
|2||Richard Childress Racing||8|
|4||Joe Gibbs Racing||7|
|5||Wood Brothers Racing||6|
- Hendrick Motorsports leads the NASCAR Cup Series in wins at Charlotte Motor Speedway with 21 victories among nine drivers: Jimmie Johnson (eight), Jeff Gordon (five), Darrell Waltrip (two), Ken Schrader (one), Terry Labonte (one), Casey Mears (one), Kasey Kahne (one), Chase Elliott (one), and Kyle Larson (one).
- Eight different manufacturers have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte; led by Chevrolet with 47 victories; followed by Ford (31), Dodge (15), Pontiac (8), Mercury (7), Toyota (7), Buick (4) and Plymouth (4).
ADDITIONAL FINISHING POSITIONS
- A total of 56 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have finished runner-up at Charlotte Motor Speedway; 26 of 56 have finished runner-up at Charlotte multiple times.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in runner-up finishes at Charlotte with nine second-place finishes.
- Kevin Harvick leads all active drivers in runner-up finishes at Charlotte with four (2001, 2014, 2015, 2016).
Top Five in Runner-Up Finishes at Charlotte Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Runner-Ups||Rank||Active Drivers||Runner-Ups|
|1||Richard Petty||9||1||Kevin Harvick||4|
|2||Bobby Allison||6||2||Chase Elliott||3|
|3||Bobby Labonte||6||3||Denny Hamlin||3|
|4||Cale Yarborough||5||4||Kyle Busch||3|
|5||Bill Elliott||4||5||Joey Logano||1|
|Darrell Waltrip||4||Kurt Busch||1|
|David Pearson||4||Martin Truex Jr||1|
- A total of 122 different drivers have finished in the top-five in the NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway; 82 of the 122 have finished in the top-five multiple times.
- NASCAR Hall of Famers Richard Petty and Bobby Allison are tied for the series most top-five finishes at Charlotte Motor Speedway with 23 each.
- Kyle Busch leads all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers with 15 top-five finishes at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Top Five in Top-Five Finishes at Charlotte Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top Fives||Rank||Active Drivers||Top Fives|
|1||Bobby Allison||23||1||Kyle Busch||15|
|2||Richard Petty||23||2||Denny Hamlin||10|
|3||Darrell Waltrip||19||3||Kevin Harvick||9|
|4||David Pearson||18||4||Kurt Busch||8|
|5||Mark Martin||18||5||Martin Truex Jr||7|
- A total of 211 different drivers have finished in the top-10 at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in top-10 finishes at Charlotte with 31.
- Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch lead all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in top-10 finishes at Charlotte with 19 each.
Top Five in Top-10 Finishes at Charlotte Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top 10s||Rank||Active Drivers||Top 10s|
|1||Richard Petty||31||1||Kevin Harvick||20|
|2||Darrell Waltrip||29||2||Kyle Busch||20|
|3||Ricky Rudd||27||3||Denny Hamlin||19|
|4||Bobby Allison||26||4||Kurt Busch||15|
|5||David Pearson||26||5||Martin Truex Jr||13|
- Johnny Beauchamp (two starts) leads the NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Charlotte with a 7.0.
- Tyler Reddick (three starts) leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Charlotte with a 10.3.
Top 10 in Average Finishing Position at Charlotte Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg Finish||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Finish||Races|
|1||Johnny Beauchamp||7.000||2||1||Tyler Reddick||10.333||3|
|2||Rex White||9.000||10||2||Chase Elliott||11.900||10|
|3||Don White||10.333||3||3||Denny Hamlin||12.300||30|
|4||Tyler Reddick||10.333||3||4||Joey Logano||12.435||23|
|5||Carl Edwards||10.917||24||5||Daniel Suarez||12.500||4|
|6||Dick Hutcherson||11.200||5||6||Brad Keselowski||13.500||23|
|7||Chase Elliott||11.900||10||7||Martin Truex Jr||14.133||30|
|8||Denny Hamlin||12.300||30||8||Kyle Busch||14.333||33|
|9||Joey Logano||12.435||23||9||Kevin Harvick||14.846||39|
|10||Daniel Suarez||12.500||4||10||Austin Dillon||16.077||13|
- A total of 183 different drivers have led at least one lap in the NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison leads the series in laps led at Charlotte Motor Speedway with 2,339 laps led in 43 starts.
- Kyle Busch leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series in laps led at Charlotte Motor Speedway with 1,450 laps led 33 starts.
- Martin Truex Jr. holds the record for the most laps led in in a single NASCAR Cup Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway after he led 392 of the scheduled 400 laps (98%) in the 2016 Coca-Cola 600 – he started from the pole.
- The fewest laps led by the NASCAR Cup Series race winner at Charlotte Motor Speedway was two laps led – it happened twice – 2017 Austin Dillion’s win, 2011 Kevin Harvick’s
- The most laps led by a NASCAR Cup Series driver at Charlotte Motor Speedway that did not win was 289 of the scheduled 400 laps (72%) by NASCAR Hall of Famer Junior Johnson on June 2, 1963 – he finished second after starting from the pole.
Top 10 in Laps Led at Charlotte Motor Speedway (All-time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Lap Leaders||Races||Led||Completed||% Led|
|Rank||Active Lap Leaders||Races||Led||Completed||% Led|
|2||Martin Truex Jr||30||1,059||10,708||10%|
TRACK / EVENT SPECIFIC STATS
- Since the advent of electronic scoring the closest margin of victory (MOV) in the NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway is the May 29, 2005, race won by Jimmie Johnson over Bobby Labonte with a MOV of 0.027 second.
Top Five Closest NASCAR Cup Series Margin of Victories at Charlotte Motor Speedway
|Margin of Victory||Date||Race Winner||Runner-Up|
|0.027||Sunday, May 29, 2005||Jimmie Johnson||Bobby Labonte|
|0.293||Sunday, May 24, 2020||Brad Keselowski||Chase Elliott|
|0.309||Saturday, October 15, 2005||Jimmie Johnson||Kurt Busch|
|0.330||Sunday, May 26, 2019||Martin Truex Jr.||Joey Logano|
|0.350||Sunday, October 13, 2002||Jamie McMurray||Bobby Labonte|
- Four NASCAR Cup Series races have resulted in NASCAR Overtime at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
|Date||Scheduled Laps||Actual Laps||Overtime||Race Winners|
|Sunday, May 24, 2020||400||405||5||Brad Keselowski|
|Sunday, October 8, 2017||334||337||3||Martin Truex Jr|
|Sunday, May 29, 2011||400||402||2||Kevin Harvick|
|Saturday, October 13, 2007||334||337||3||Jeff Gordon|
|Saturday, October 15, 2005||334||336||2||Jimmie Johnson|
- Five NASCAR Cup Series races have been shortened due to weather conditions at Charlotte Motor Speedway; four of the five were the Coca-Cola 600s:
|Date||Scheduled Laps||Actual Laps||Fewer Laps||Race Winners|
- Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather conditions in the NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway twice – the October race of 2002 and the October race of 2008.
- Qualifying was cancelled due to the pandemic in 2020.
- Two female drivers have competed at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series: Janet Guthrie and Danica Patrick.
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Date|
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Date|
NASCAR in North Carolina
- There have been 757 NASCAR national series races among 32 tracks in the state of North Carolina.
|Track Name||City||Cup||Xfinity||Truck||Total||First Year|
|Charlotte Motor Speedway||Concord||123||76||19||218||1960|
|North Wilkesboro Speedway||North||93||4||2||99||1949|
|Bowman Gray Stadium||Winston-Salem||29||0||0||29||1958|
|Orange County Speedway||Rougemont||0||27||0||27||1983|
|Southern States Fairgrounds||Charlotte||17||0||0||17||1954|
|Charlotte Motor Speedway Road Course||Concord||4||4||0||8||2018|
|New Asheville Speedway||Asheville||8||0||0||8||1962|
|Dog Track Speedway||Moyock||7||0||0||7||1962|
|Cleveland County Fairgrounds||Shelby||6||0||0||6||1956|
|Greensboro Agriculture Fairgrounds||Greensboro||3||0||0||3||1957|
|North Carolina State Fairgrounds||Raleigh||3||0||0||3||1955|
|Tar Heel Speedway||Randleman||3||0||0||3||1963|
|Forsyth County Fairgrounds||Winston-Salem||2||0||0||2||1955|
|Tri-City Speedway||High Point||2||0||0||2||1953|
|Harnett Speedway||Spring Lake||1||0||0||1||1953|
|Salisbury Super Speedway||Salisbury||1||0||0||1||1958|
|Star Lite Speedway||Monroe||1||0||0||1||1966|
North Carolina Drivers In NASCAR
- A total of 469 different drivers in NASCAR national series history have their home state recorded as North Carolina. 58 of the 469 have won in a NASCAR national series race.
|Dale Earnhardt Jr||26||24||0||50|
|John H. Nemechek||0||2||12||14|
|Hank Parker Jr||0||2||0||2|
— NASCAR —