Below is a look at some of the top statistical performers at Dover Motor Speedway in Dover, Delaware going into the Würth 400 on Sunday, April 30 at 2 p.m. ET on FS1, PRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.
Dover Motor Speedway – Qualifying / Race Record Data
Track qualifying record:
Denny Hamlin, Toyota, 166.984 mph, 21.559 secs. Oct. 5, 2019
Track race record:
Kyle Larson, Chevrolet, 135.734 mph, (02:56:49), Oct. 6, 2019
2022 Pole Winner:
Chris Buescher, Ford, 160.149 mph, 22.479 secs. April 30, 2022
2022 Race Winner
Chase Elliott, Chevrolet, 104.507 mph, (03:49:39), May 2, 2022
Dover Motor Speedway Stats & Tidbits:
Season Race #: 11 of 36 (04-30-22)
Track Size: 1-mile
Banking/Turn 1 & 2: 24 degrees
Banking/Turn 3 & 4: 24 degrees
Banking/Frontstretch: 9 degrees
Banking/Backstretch: 9 degrees
Frontstretch Length: 1,076 feet
Backstretch Length: 1,076 feet
Race Length: 400 laps / 400 miles
Stage 1 Length: 120 laps
Stage 2 Length: 130 laps
Final Stage Length: 150 laps
- The official opening of Dover Motor Speedway, then called Dover Downs International Speedway, was in 1969.
- The first NASCAR Cup Series race at Dover Motor Speedway was held on July 6, 1969 and won by NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty driving a Ford for Petty Enterprises. The average speed of the race was 115.772 mph.
- The first two races at Dover were 300 miles. The race length was changed to 500 miles in 1971.
- The track surface was changed to concrete in 1995.
- The race length was changed to 400 miles beginning with the second race in 1997.
- The track name was changed to Dover International Speedway in 2002.
- The track was purchased by Speedway Motorsports Inc. in 2021 and the name of the track was changed to Dover Motor Speedway.
- There have been 104 NASCAR Cup Series races at Dover Motor Speedway, one race per year in 1969 and 1970, two races per year from 1971 to 2020. Starting in 2021, the track has hosted just one NASCAR Cup Series race per year.
- A total of 423 different drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Cup Series race at Dover Motor Speedway; 311 drivers have competed in more than one.
- Ricky Rudd leads the NASCAR Cup Series in starts at Dover Motor Speedway with 56; followed by NASCAR Hall of Famer Mark Martin with 55 starts.
- Kevin Harvick leads all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in starts at Dover Motor Speedway with 42 starts; followed by Kyle Busch with 34 starts.
- A total of 67 different drivers have made their first NASCAR Cup Series career start at Dover Motor Speedway; the most recent was Josh Berry on May 16, 2021.
|1||Josh Berry||5/16/2021||24||Jay Sommers||6/5/1988||47||J.R. Charbonneau||9/19/1982|
|2||Ross Chastain||6/4/2017||25||D. Wayne Strout||9/20/1987||48||Jimmy Walker||5/16/1982|
|3||Ryan Sieg||6/4/2017||26||Larry Caudill||9/20/1987||49||Lowell Cowell||5/17/1981|
|4||Brett Moffitt||6/1/2014||27||Mark Gibson||9/20/1987||50||Joel Stowe||9/14/1980|
|5||David Ragan||9/24/2006||28||Rick Jeffrey||9/20/1987||51||John Callis||9/14/1980|
|6||Hideo Fukuyama||9/22/2002||29||Charlie Rudolph||5/31/1987||52||Jim Ingram||5/18/1980|
|7||Tony Raines||6/2/2002||30||Curtis Markham||5/31/1987||53||Jeff Halverson||9/16/1979|
|8||Carl Long||9/24/2000||31||Larry Pollard||5/31/1987 0:00||54||Steve Peles||5/20/1979|
|9||Kurt Busch||9/24/2000||32||Bryan Baker||9/14/1986||55||Louis Gatto||9/17/1978|
|10||Matt Kenseth||9/20/1998||33||Howard Rose||9/14/1986 0:00||56||Dave Dion||5/21/1978|
|11||Hermie Sadler||6/2/1996||34||Roy Lee Hendrick||9/14/1986||57||Wayne Morgan||5/21/1978|
|12||Michael Ritch||9/17/1995||35||Gary Fedewa||5/18/1986||58||Steve Stolarek||9/18/1977|
|13||Tim Fedewa||9/18/1994||36||Howard Mark||5/18/1986||59||Tommy Ellis||9/19/1976|
|14||Graham Taylor||5/31/1992||37||Jerry Holden||5/18/1986||60||Budd Hagelin||5/16/1976|
|15||Jerry Hill||9/15/1991||38||Chuck Walton||9/15/1985||61||John Harkins||5/18/1975|
|16||Steve Perry||9/15/1991||39||Johnny Coy Jr||9/16/1984||62||Toby Tobias||9/16/1973|
|17||Bobby Labonte||6/3/1991||40||Phil Good||9/16/1984||63||Eddie Pettyjohn||6/3/1973|
|18||Freddie Crawford||6/3/1990||41||Tommie Crozier||9/16/1984||64||A.J. Cox||6/6/1971|
|19||Andy Belmont||9/17/1989||42||Jim Southard||5/20/1984||65||Lawrence Fields||6/6/1971|
|20||Bill Flowers||6/4/1989||43||Laurent Rioux||9/18/1983||66||George Ashbrook||7/6/1969|
|21||Jimmy Spencer||6/4/1989||44||Natz Peters||9/18/1983||67||James Cox||7/6/1969|
|22||Norm Benning||6/4/1989||45||Jimmy Ingalls||5/15/1983|
|23||Dana Patten||6/5/1988||46||Gil Roth||9/19/1982|
- The best finish by a driver making his series career debut at Dover Motor Speedway was sixth by Matt Kenseth on September 20, 1998; he started 16th and finished sixth.
- Bobby Isaac leads the NASCAR Cup Series in average starting position at Dover Motor Speedway with a 2.2 in five career starts at Dover.
- Kyle Larson leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series in average starting position at Dover Motor Speedway with a 7.143 in 14 career starts.
Top 10 in Average Starting Position at Dover (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg Start||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Start||Races|
|1||Bobby Isaac||2.200||5||1||Kyle Larson||7.143||14|
|2||David Pearson||2.688||16||2||Chase Elliott||8.333||12|
|3||LeeRoy Yarbrough||4.500||2||3||Denny Hamlin||9.813||32|
|4||Bobby Allison||6.400||35||4||Kyle Busch||10.353||34|
|5||Friday Hassler||6.500||2||5||Martin Truex Jr||10.688||32|
|6||Cale Yarborough||7.000||20||6||Brad Keselowski||11.542||24|
|7||Kyle Larson||7.143||14||7||Ryan Blaney||12.167||12|
|8||Chase Elliott||8.333||12||8||Joey Logano||13.154||26|
|9||Ramo Stott||8.500||2||9||Erik Jones||13.700||10|
|10||Rusty Wallace||8.795||44||10||William Byron||14.25||8|
- A total of 43 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won the pole at Dover Motor Speedway.
- Eight of the 43 NASCAR Cup Series Dover Motor Speedway pole winners are active this weekend.
|Active Dover Pole Winners||Poles||Seasons|
|Denny Hamlin||4||2019, 2015, 2013, 2012|
|Martin Truex Jr||3||2017, 2011, 2010|
- NASCAR Hall of Famer David Pearson leads the NASCAR Cup Series in poles at Dover Motor Speedway with six poles (1969, 1973 sweep, 1974, 1975, 1981) at the 1-mile track.
- Denny Hamlin leads all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in poles at Dover Motor Speedway with four poles (2012, 2013, 2015, 2019).
- David Pearson (Ford) won the inaugural pole at Dover Motor Speedway in 1969 with a speed of 130.430 mph.
- Youngest series Dover pole winner: Chase Elliott (May 3, 2019 – 23 years, 5 months, 8 days).
- Oldest series Dover pole winner: Mark Martin (June 1, 2012 – 53 years, 4 months, 23 days).
- 10 drivers have won consecutive poles at Dover Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series; led by NASCAR Hall of Famer David Pearson with three straight from 1973 (sweep) – 1974.
- Denny Hamlin (fall 2012, spring 2013) is the only active driver to accomplish the feat of wining consecutive poles at Dover Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series.
- Six drivers have posted their first career NASCAR Cup Series pole at Dover Motor Speedway:
|First-Time Pole Winners||Date|
|Chris Buescher||Sunday, May 1, 2022|
|Matt Kenseth||Sunday, June 2, 2002|
|Michael Waltrip||Monday, June 3, 1991|
|Dick Trickle||Sunday, June 3, 1990|
|Joe Ruttman||Sunday, May 15, 1983|
|J.D. McDuffie||Sunday, September 17, 1978|
- A total of 35 different organizations have won a pole at Dover Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series.
- Team Penske leads the NASCAR Cup Series in poles at Dover with 11 poles among four drivers: Rusty Wallace (1993, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002), Jeremy Mayfield (2000), Ryan Newman (2003, 2005, 2006, 2007), Brad Keselowski (2014).
- A total of nine different manufacturers have won a pole in the NASCAR Cup Series at Dover Motor Speedway; led by Ford with 30 poles, and followed by Chevrolet (25), Dodge (12), Toyota (10), Pontiac (six), Mercury (five), Buick (2), Oldsmobile (one) and Plymouth (one).
- A total of 39 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won at Dover Motor Speedway; 23 of 39 drivers have won multiple times in the series at the 1-mile track.
- Eight of the 39 NASCAR Cup Series Dover Motor Speedway race winners are active this weekend.
|Active Dover Race Winners||Wins||Seasons|
|Kevin Harvick||3||2020, 2018, 2015|
|Martin Truex Jr||3||2019. 2016, 2007|
|Kyle Busch||3||2017, 2010, 2008|
|Chase Elliott||2||2022, 2018|
- Jimmie Johnson leads the NASCAR Cup Series in wins at Dover Motor Speedway with 11 victories (2002 sweep, 2005 Playoffs, 2009 sweep, 2010 Playoffs, Spring of 2012, 2013 Playoffs, Spring of 2014, Spring of 2015 and Spring of 2017).
- Kevin Harvick (2015, 2018, 2020), Martin Truex Jr. (2007, 2016, 2019) and Kyle Busch (2008, 2010, 2017) lead all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in victories at Dover Motor Speedway with three each.
- The first NASCAR Cup Series race at Dover Motor Speedway was held on July 6, 1969 and won by NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty (Petty Enterprises, Ford).
- 12 drivers have posted consecutive wins at Dover Motor Speedway, including three consecutive by David Pearson (fall 1972 and 1973 sweep), Rusty Wallace (fall 1993 and 1994 sweep) and Jeff Gordon (fall 1995 and 1996 sweep).
- Youngest Dover Cup race winner: Chase Elliott (October 7, 2018 – 22 years, 10 months, 0 days).
- Oldest Dover Cup race winner: Harry Gant (May 31, 1992 – 52 years, 4 months, 21 days).
- Two NASCAR Cup Series drivers have posted their first career win at Dover Motor Speedway:
- Martin Truex Jr. (June 6, 2007)
- Jody Ridley (May 17, 1981).
- A total of 22 different starting positions have led to wins in the 104 NASCAR Cup Series races at Dover Motor Speedway.
- 13 of the 104 (12.5%) NASCAR Cup Series races at Dover Motor Speedway have been won from the pole or first starting position. The most recent was Jimmie Johnson in 2010. The list of wins from the pole at Dover is below:
|1||Jimmie Johnson||9/26/2010||8||Rusty Wallace||9/19/1993|
|2||Jimmie Johnson||9/27/2009||9||Bill Elliott||9/16/1990|
|3||Ryan Newman||6/1/2003||10||Cale Yarborough||9/19/1976|
|4||Bobby Labonte||6/6/1999||11||David Pearson||5/18/1975|
|5||Mark Martin||9/20/1998||12||David Pearson||9/16/1973|
|6||Mark Martin||9/21/1997||13||David Pearson||6/3/1973|
- The second place starting position is the most proficient starting position in the field, producing more winners (20) than any other starting position at Dover Motor Speedway (19.23%) – the most recent was Denny Hamlin’s win on August 22, 2020.
NASCAR Cup Series Wins by Starting Positions at Dover Motor Speedway
|Starting Position||Wins||Winning %||Starting Position||Wins||Winning %|
|Winning from the First Starting Position:||12.50%||13|
|Winning from the Front Row:||31.73%||33|
|Winning from a Top-Five Starting Position:||56.73%||59|
|Winning from a Top-10 Starting Position:||75.96%||79|
|Winning After Starting Outside the Top 20:||4.81%||5|
- The deepest in the field that a race winner has started at Dover Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series is 37th, by Kyle Petty in the spring of 1995.
- The deepest in the field that an active race winner has started at Dover is 26th, by Martin Truex Jr. in the spring of 2007.
- A total of 27 different organizations have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Dover Motor Speedway; including seven active organizations entered this weekend:
|Hendrick Motorsports||22||2022, ‘21, ‘18, ’17, ’14 sweep, ’13, ’12, ’10, ’09 sweep, ’05, ’02 sweep, 1996, ’95, ’92, ’91, ’86|
|Joe Gibbs Racing||9||2020, ’19, ’17, ’16, ’10, ’08, ’00 sweep, 1999|
|RFK Racing||9||2011, ’08, ’07, ’06, ’05, ’04, 1999. ’98, ’97|
|Team Penske||8||2012, ’11, ’04, ’03 sweep, 1994 sweep, ’93|
|Wood Brothers Racing||7||1981, ’79. ’78, ’75, ’73 sweep, ’72|
|Stewart-Haas Racing||4||2020, ’18, ’15, ’13|
|Richard Childress Racing||4||2006, 1993, ’89 sweep|
- Hendrick Motorsports has the most wins at Dover Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series with 22 victories among seven drivers: Jimmie Johnson (11), Jeff Gordon (five), Chase Elliott (two), Geoff Bodine (one), Ken Schrader (one), Ricky Rudd (one), and Alex Bowman (one).
- Nine different manufacturers have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Dover Motor Speedway; led by Chevrolet with 43 victories; followed by Ford with 27, Dodge (seven), Mercury (seven), Toyota (seven), Pontiac (six), Buick (three), Oldsmobile (two) and Plymouth (two).
ADDITIONAL FINISHING POSITIONS
- A total of 55 different drivers have finished runner-up in the series at Dover Motor Speedway.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Mark Martin leads the series in runner-up finishes at Dover with eight second-place finishes.
- Kyle Busch leads all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in runner-up finishes at Dover with four.
Top Five in Runner-Up Finishes at Dover (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Runner-Ups||Rank||Active Drivers||Runner-Ups|
|1||Mark Martin||8||1||Kyle Busch||4|
|2||Dale Earnhardt||5||2||Kyle Larson||3|
|3||Bobby Allison||4||3||Martin Truex Jr||3|
|Cale Yarborough||4||4||Brad Keselowski||2|
|David Pearson||4||Kevin Harvick||2|
- A total of 99 different drivers have finished in the top-five in the NASCAR Cup Series at Dover Motor Speedway.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Mark Martin leads the series in top-five finishes with 24 top fives.
- Kyle Busch leads all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in top-five finishes at Dover with 13 top fives.
Top Five in Top-Five Finishes at Dover (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top Fives||Rank||Active Drivers||Top Fives|
|1||Mark Martin||24||1||Kyle Busch||13|
|2||Dale Earnhardt||19||2||Kevin Harvick||10|
|3||Bobby Allison||18||3||Chase Elliott||9|
|Jeff Gordon||18||4||Martin Truex Jr||9|
|Jimmie Johnson||18||5||Kyle Larson||7|
- A total of 164 different drivers have finished in the top-10 in the NASCAR Cup Series at Dover Motor Speedway.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Mark Martin leads the series in top-10 finishes at Dover with 33 top 10s.
- Kevin Harvick leads all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in top-10 finishes at Dover with 23.
Top Five in Top-10 Finishes at Dover Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top 10s||Rank||Active Drivers||Top 10s|
|1||Mark Martin||33||1||Kevin Harvick||23|
|2||Jeff Gordon||27||2||Kyle Busch||21|
|Jimmie Johnson||27||3||Martin Truex Jr||18|
|4||Richard Petty||26||4||Joey Logano||15|
|Ricky Rudd||26||5||Denny Hamlin||14|
- Charlie Glotzbach (two starts) leads the NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Dover Motor Speedway with a 2.5.
- Kyle Larson (13 starts) leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Dover with a 6.9.
Top 10 in Average Finishing Position at Dover (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg Finish||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Finish||Races|
|1||Charlie Glotzbach||2.500||2||1||Kyle Larson||6.929||14|
|2||Ramo Stott||6.000||2||2||Chase Elliott||9.750||12|
|3||Kyle Larson||6.929||15||3||Martin Truex Jr||11.750||32|
|4||David Pearson||8.000||16||4||Kevin Harvick||12.881||42|
|5||Bill Dennis||8.500||2||5||Brad Keselowski||13.083||25|
|6||Daniel Suarez||8.667||6||6||Erik Jones||13.600||10|
|7||LeeRoy Yarbrough||9.000||2||7||Joey Logano||13.846||26|
|8||Bobby Allison||9.257||35||8||William Byron||14.000||8|
|9||Jimmie Johnson||9.658||38||9||Kyle Busch||14.029||34|
|10||Chase Elliott||9.750||13||10||Denny Hamlin||16.438||32|
- A total of 122 different drivers have led at least one lap in the NASCAR Cup Series at Dover Motor Speedway.
- Jimmie Johnson leads the NASCAR Cup Series in laps led at Dover with 3,113 laps led in 38 starts.
- Kevin Harvick leads all active series drivers in laps led at Dover Motor Speedway with 1,666 in 42 races.
Top 10 in Laps Led at Dover Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Races||Led||Completed||% Led|
|Rank||Active Drivers||Races||Led||Completed||% Led|
|3||Martin Truex Jr||32||1,001||12,340||8%|
- The most laps led by the race winner in a NASCAR Cup Series race at Dover Motor Speedway was 491 of the scheduled 500 laps (98.2%) on September 15, 1974 by NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty. Petty started from the second position.
- The most laps led by a driver that did not win the NASCAR Cup Series race at Dover Motor Speedway was 404 of the scheduled 459 laps (88%) on May 17, 1981 by Neil Bonnett. He started from the third position and finished 13th.
- The fewest laps led by a race winner in a NASCAR Cup Series race at Dover Motor Speedway were just three laps of the scheduled 400 on June 2, 2013 by NASCAR Hall of Famer Tony Stewart. He started from the 22nd position.
TRACK/EVENT SPECIFIC STATS
- Since the advent of electronic scoring, the closest Margin of Victory (MOV) in the NASCAR Cup Series at Dover Motor Speedway was the September 25, 2005 race, won by Jimmie Johnson over Kyle Busch with a margin of victory of 0.080 second.
Top Five Closest Margin of Victories at Dover Motor Speedway (NCS):
|Margin of Victory||Date||Winner||Runner-Up|
|0.080||Sunday, September 25, 2005||Jimmie Johnson||Kyle Busch|
|0.091||Sunday, June 1, 1997||Ricky Rudd||Mark Martin|
|0.187||Sunday, May 15, 2016||Matt Kenseth||Kyle Larson|
|0.220||Sunday, June 4, 1995||Kyle Petty||Bobby Labonte|
|0.265||Sunday, October 7, 2018||Chase Elliott||Denny Hamlin|
Top Five Largest Margin of Victories at Dover Motor Speedway (NCS):
|Margin of Victory||Date||Winner||Runner-Up|
|22.071||Sunday, June 6, 1999||Bobby Labonte||Jeff Gordon|
|13.117||Sunday, May 31, 1998||Dale Jarrett||Jeff Burton|
|10.334||Sunday, September 21, 1997||Mark Martin||Dale Earnhardt|
|9.501||Monday, May 6, 2019||Martin Truex Jr||Alex Bowman|
|8.149||Sunday, September 26, 2004||Ryan Newman||Mark Martin|
- There have been four NASCAR Cup Series races resulting in NASCAR Overtime at Dover Motor Speedway:
|Scheduled No. Of Laps||Actual No. Of Laps||Overtime Laps||Race Winner||Date|
- None of the 104 NASCAR Cup Series races at Dover Motor Speedway have been shortened due to weather conditions.
- Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather conditions in the NASCAR Cup Series at Dover Motor Speedway nine times: Fall 1984, Spring 2001, Fall 2003, Spring 2005, Spring 2011, Fall 2015, Spring and Fall of 2016, Spring 2018
- In 2020, qualifying was cancelled for both races due to the pandemic. The first event’s (8/22) starting lineup was determined by Metric Qualifying and the second race’s (8/23) was determined by inverting the field.
- In 2021, qualifying for the NASCAR Cup Series was cancelled due to the pandemic and the starting lineups were set by Metric Qualifying. Martin Truex Jr. started from the first position.
- Two female drivers have competed at Dover Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series: Janet Guthrie and Danica Patrick.
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Date|
|Danica Patrick||24||18||Sunday, October 1, 2017|
|Danica Patrick||31||10||Sunday, June 4, 2017|
|Danica Patrick||24||28||Sunday, October 2, 2016|
|Danica Patrick||31||13||Sunday, May 15, 2016|
|Danica Patrick||24||21||Sunday, October 4, 2015|
|Danica Patrick||33||15||Sunday, May 31, 2015|
|Danica Patrick||13||25||Sunday, September 28, 2014|
|Danica Patrick||28||23||Sunday, June 1, 2014|
|Danica Patrick||31||29||Sunday, September 29, 2013|
|Danica Patrick||39||24||Sunday, June 2, 2013|
|Danica Patrick||38||28||Sunday, September 30, 2012|
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Date|
|Janet Guthrie||15||11||Sunday, September 18, 1977|
|Janet Guthrie||11||33||Sunday, September 19, 1976|
NASCAR IN DELAWARE
- A total of 199 NASCAR national series races have been held in the state of Delaware – all at Dover Motor Speedway.
|Track Name||City||Cup||XFINITY||Truck||Combined||First Year|
|Dover Motor Speedway||Dover||104||76||21||201||1969|
DELAWARE DRIVERS IN NASCAR
- Ten drivers in NASCAR national series history have their home state recorded as Delaware; none of the 10 have recorded a victory in NASCAR national series competition.
|Drivers From Delaware (Hometowns)|
|1||Russell Bennett (Milford)|
|2||Trevor Collins (Seaford)|
|3||A.J. Cox (Wilmington)|
|4||Eddie Dickerson (Milford)|
|5||CJ Faison (Seaford)|
|6||Lou Johnson (Wilmington)|
|7||Joe Martin (Lewes)|
|8||Eddie Pettyjohn (Milton)|
|9||Joe Phipps (Newark)|
|10||Ray Sherman (Shermoont)|
— NASCAR —