NASCAR Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors
- Ollie’s Bargain Outlet extends sponsorship with KHI: Kevin Harvick Inc. has announced today that Ollie’s Bargain Outlet, one of America’s largest retailers of closeouts, surplus and salvage merchandise, has extended their relationship with KHI and will sponsor four-time Truck Series champion Ron Hornaday in the inaugural Truck Series race at Pocono Raceway July 31. Ollie’s Bargain Outlet’s signature yellow, black and red will adorn the #33 truck along with the Harrisburg Senators, the host of the 2010 Eastern League All-Star Game. Ollie’s Bargain Outlet, founded in 1982, is the area’s largest retailer of closeouts, salvage and surplus merchandise.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(6-29-2010)
- ThorSport partners with Karl Chevrolet in Iowa: UPDATE imaged added: For the second consecutive season, ThorSport Racing will partner with Karl Chevrolet for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series visit at Iowa Speedway. Just like the 2009 event, Karl Chevrolet will be the primary sponsor on the #13 Chevrolet piloted by Johnny Sauter. On Friday July 9 the #13 Karl Chevrolet/Curb Records Chevrolet will be on display at the dealership, located at 1101 SE Oralabor Road in Ankeny just outside of Des Moines from 2:30 P.M. through 4:30 P.M. Sauter will also make an appearance, signing autographs and answering questions from race fans from 3 P.M. through 5 P.M. Following the autograph session, Sauter will head to the Iowa State Fairgrounds Speedway to compete in a Dirt Truck Racing Association event. (ThorSport Racing PR)(6-30-2010)
UPDATE: Image of the #13 Karl Chevrolet/Curb Records Chevrolet is posted on the #13 NCWTS Paint Schemes Page.(6-30-2010)
- Starr picks up sponsor for two; also some Nationwide races UPDATE 2 image added: Cash America International, Inc. and Linkous Enterprises, Inc. are pleased to announce a multi-race motorsports marketing program – a relationship where Cash America will participate in each of NASCAR’s top three nationally touring series. Cash America will sponsor the Day Enterprises #05 Chevrolet Impala in the Nationwide Series and the Randy Moss Motorsports #81 Toyota in the Camping World Truck Series; both entries will be driven by David Starr [Races TBA]. Cash America International, Inc. provides specialty financial services to individuals in the United States, Australia, Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom.(Cash America/Integrity Sports Mgmt. PR)(6-8-2010)
UPDATE: Truck races with Cash America as sponsor; Nashville & Phoenix. The Nationwide races Starr will be the #05; Daytona, ORP, Phoenix & Homestead.(Integrity Sports Mgmt. PR)(6-8-2010)
UPDATE 2: Schematic of the #81 Cash America Toyota to be driven by David Starr is posted on the #81 NCWTS Paint Schemes Page.(6-29-2010)
- Hornaday Jr. only NCWTS driver to ever be nominated for an ESPY: Defending series champion Ron Hornaday Jr. (No. 33 KHI Chevrolet) received a special call last week notifying him he was a 2010 ESPY nominee for Best Driver, an honor no other NASCAR Camping World Truck Series competitor has received. Hornaday Jr. joins NASCAR Sprint Cup regulars Kyle Busch and Jimmie Johnson along with IndyCar Series driver Dario Franchitti and NHRA legend Tony Schumacher in the prestigious category.(NASCAR PR)[For more NASCAR Open Week News & Notes, visit the Iowa Race Page.](6-28-2010)
- Skinner headed to England for Goodwood Festival of Speed: Mike Skinner, driver of the #5 International Truck/Monaco RV’s Toyota will compete in the Goodwood Festival of Speed this weekend for the second time. The veteran series driver will compete in West Sussex, England against numerous drivers from nationally-recognized motorsports ranks. He is only one of two NASCAR drivers that will represent the sport on the 1.16-mile course. Skinner, who has won for five consecutive seasons, has five top-10 finishes this season and is currently in sixth position in the series standings.(NASCAR PR)[For more information, visit the Jayski Driver Appearances Page.](6-28-2010)
- Cobb partners with Baker Curb: Officials from Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing and Baker Curb Racing announced they will partner for the four 2010 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) events featuring the new car this season. Jennifer Jo Cobb will drive the #27 Driven Ford Mustang at Daytona International Speedway on July 2, Richmond International Raceway on September 10 and Charlotte Motor Speedway on October 15. A TBD driver will drive the No. 27 Mustang at Michigan International Speedway on August 14, while Cobb competes in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event at Darlington Raceway. JJCR and BCR decided that it was in each team’s best interest to combine their resources for the events featuring the next generation race car. With each organization being a smaller, independent race team, JJCR and BCR aim to make a concerted effort as NASCAR transitions to its latest vehicle.(JJCR/BCR PR)(6-25-2010)
- Wallace in the #15 at Iowa: Officials of Billy Ballew Motorsports announced today that Steve Wallace will return behind the wheel of the team’s #15 Toyota of Des Moines Toyota Tundra for the July 11th Iowa 200 at Iowa Speedway. Wallace, driver of the #66 5-Hour Energy Toyota Camry in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, has driven in two prior NASCAR Camping World Truck Series events, both for BBM. Toyota of Des Moines is no stranger to NASCAR racing. The dealership has sponsored several drivers and has been involved with different racing series. Toyota of Des Moines has previously partnered with Mike Skinner in the NCWTS, Kyle Busch in the NASCAR Camping World West Series and Corey LaJoie in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series.(Billy Ballew Motorsports PR)(6-25-2010)
- Lofton making first start with BCR at New Hampshire: 2009 ARCA Racing Series Champion Justin Lofton will climb behind the wheel of the #27 Baker Curb Racing Ford this weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. The New England 200 will be the first race for Lofton with Baker Curb Racing, but will mark his third career NASCAR Nationwide Series start. This weekend will mark his first run in either series at the 1.058-mile Loudon, New Hampshire track. Baker Curb Racing has announced the addition of the National FFA Organization (FFA) as a corporate partner. The partnership will launch this weekend with the FFA emblem adorning the quarter panels of Justin Lofton’s #27 Ford Fusion in the New England 200 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.(Baker Curb PR)(6-25-2010)
- KHI and JEGS forge Truck Series partnership: UPDATE images added: Kevin Harvick Inc. announced today that JEGS Mail Order will sponsor team co-owner Kevin Harvick’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series entry at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on September 18th. The announcement, made at the JEGS world headquarters and distribution center outside Columbus, Ohio, revealed the JEGS paint scheme which Harvick will run on the #2 Chevrolet Silverado at the Loudon, New Hampshire track. “JEGS is celebrating 50 years this year and it’s an exciting time for our company, our associates and our loyal customers all over the world,” explained director of media and motorsports Scott “Woody” Woodruff. “We are giving away a car, we are going to put a bright yellow and black JEGS.com truck on the track with a championship-caliber driver behind the wheel, backed by a team that knows how to win and we are not even close to being done celebrating this year. It’s exciting to see us put our brand out in the public eye in different ways this year.” The #2 JEGS Mail Order Chevrolet can be seen on track in the September 18th running of the New Hampshire 175.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(6-23-2010)
UPDATE: Image of the #2 JEGS Mail Order KHI Chevy is posted on the #2 NCWTS Paint Schemes Page.(6-24-2010)
- Labonte leaves TRG; exploring opportunities including trucks: Bobby Labonte, the 1991 NASCAR Nationwide and the 2000 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion, has terminated his contract with TRG Motorsports effective immediately. Labonte, a 21-time winner in the Sprint Cup Series, is currently exploring opportunities for the remainder of this season in the Sprint Cup Series as well as the NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series. (Bobby Labonte PR)(6-23-2010)
- Dillon to run NHMS Nationwide race: UPDATE more info: Richard Childress Racing is consolidating the #21 Nationwide Series team following the restructuring of the Zaxby’s sponsorship. The organization released crew chief Dan Deeringhoff, car chief Tony Hamm and engineer Paul Flury this week as the company reorganizes its Nationwide program. Tim George Jr. will race the car this weekend at Elkhart Lake with veteran crew chief Gere Kennon at the helm. Austin Dillon, who won his first career truck pole at Michigan and finished fifth, will drive the car at New Hampshire with his truck crew chief Danny Stockman calling the shots. Clint Bowyer returns to the seat for Daytona.(Fox Sports)(6-16-2010)
UPDATE: Austin Dillon will drive the #21 Bass Pro Shop Chevy in this weekend’s New England 200. This brand-new chassis was built in-house by the RCR team and will complete its maiden voyage on-track this weekend. Saturday’s New England 200 marks Dillon’s seventh NNS attempt and first start in NASCAR’s No. 2 tour since finishing 19th at Michigan Int’l Speedway in August 2009.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(6-22-2010)
- Summer stretch proven successful for Hornaday: Once the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series resumes action after three open weekends, four guys will be gunning for bragging rights heading into the series’ 10-week long stretch beginning at Iowa Speedway in July and ending at Kentucky Speedway in September. Currently, Todd Bodine (#30 Germain Racing Toyota) leads the way with a 55 point lead over Aric Almirola (#51 Graceway Pharmaceuticals Toyota). Timothy Peters (#17 Red Horse Racing Toyota) is quietly in third only 165 points back. Together the trio combines for only one victory at the 10 upcoming tracks on the circuit. The nod goes to Bodine who scored his ninth NCWTS win at Gateway International Raceway during his 2006 championship season. The sleeper of the bunch could be defending champion Ron Hornaday Jr. (#33 Kevin Harvick Inc. Chevrolet) who is just 170 points out of the lead. Traditionally, Hornaday owns the summer stretch. Yes, he is winless so far in 2010, but last summer he won five straight races last season during the months of June, July and August. First third of the season Bodine and Almirola have proven to be the ones to beat and have the momentum heading into Iowa in three weeks. Hornaday, on the other hand, has been mired back in the series standings due to two finishes outside the top 25 in the series’ first two events. If Hornaday Jr. can make a run at his prestigious fifth series title — a feat no one has yet to achieve — chances are it will happen in the next 10 races. But first he will have to beat Bodine who has finished in the top five for six straight races. (NASCAR PR)[More Open Week News & Notes are posted on the Iowa Race Page](6-21-2010)
- Crawford visits home town; talks about future: Rick Crawford is a big Elvis Presley fan. So you know he’d go for “A Little Less Conversation” — both the song and in his professional life. But talk is what the Mobilian is up to these days, on Sirius Satellite Radio on Tuesdays and with potential sponsors as he attempts to get back on the racetrack. “I’m answering a lot of phone calls,” Crawford said. “We have a lot of irons in the fire. They just aren’t hot enough to get us back on the racetrack. But we hope to be back on the track soon.” Crawford, 51, hasn’t driven in the past four NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races after sitting out just one of the previous 328. Circle Bar Racing’s #14 Ford started 2010 without a primary sponsor. Crawford raced in the season opener at Daytona with a one-shot sponsor, then soldiered on without a primary sponsor for three races. Despite two top-10 finishes in those events, the Circle Bar operation was shuttered by the lack of funding. Crawford filled in at Kansas for a part-time team and has been sidelined since. Of the four races he missed, Crawford was at the track for three of them — two as a consultant and one as a spotter. He said the time out of the truck has given him a broader perspective on the series, but it’s also made him want to mix it up with old rivals such as Ron Hornaday Jr., Mike Skinner and Todd Bodine all the more. “It’s made Rick Crawford tougher,” he said. “I’ll come back hungrier. I’m working real hard to put some deals together, and we’re coming back to win.” Crawford visited Teledyne Continental Motors in Mobile on Thursday, presenting the company with a truck hood as thanks for serving as a sponsor for the #14 Ford at Talladega Superspeedway last season. But Crawford said his first visit to the area since the Gulf oil spill had two purposes. Even with his professional problems, Crawford said he knows the home folks are hurting, too. “I came to Mobile to say thank you to some people, but also to check out our businesses that are suffering because of the oil spill,” Crawford said. “I want to let everyone know that Alabama is open for business.(al.com/Press Register)(6-18-2010)
- New sponsor for SS Green Light Racing’s #23: SS Green Light Racing is pleased to announce that the popular cable network Pursuit Channel has partnered with GunBroker.com and the #23 team of Jason White for several upcoming races in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. The Pursuit Channel will share associate sponsorship on the #23 truck with GunBroker.com at the NCWTS races at Pocono on July 31st and Martinsville on October 23rd. White currently sits seventh in the NCWTS point standings. This partnership will assist the two companies in growing already established bases within the outdoor community. Pursuit Channel is the most widely distributed, pure hunting and fishing network featuring many of the industry’s top names. It is the only outdoor network delivered in satellite provider DIRECTV’s basic package. Starting in January 2011, Pursuit Channel will be available on DISH Network.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(6-16-2010)
- Michigan images added: Added a few images from Michigan; #51-Aric Almirola, Zyclara/Graceway Pharmaceuticals Toyota; #2-Elliott Sadler, Granger Insurance Chevy; #13-EZ Grill Chevy; #23-Gunbroker.com/RMEF Ford. Check them out via the 2010 NCWTS Paint Scheme Page.(6-16-2010)
- Hornaday in for KHI at Road America and more: UPDATE first start a Road America: #33-Kevin Harvick has announced that he will not run the full Nationwide Series schedule. Mike Bliss will drive the #33 at Nashville, Kentucky, and Gateway. Ron Hornaday will drive at Road America and O’Reilly Raceway Park. Montreal is still up in the air (SceneDaily.com)(5-27-2010)
UPDATE: Ron Hornaday. Hornaday who will make his first-career start at the 4.048-mile road course as the Nationwide Series makes their inaugural stop at the Wisconsin track. In the Nationwide Series, Hornaday has six starts on road courses among three tracks, Watkins Glen International, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (Montreal, Canada) and Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez (Mexico City, Mexico). In those six starts, Hornaday has two top-10 finishes and has led 11 laps at Watkins Glen International.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(6-14-2010)
- Racing Resources – Post-Race Rundown:
*Aric Almirola won the VFW 200 at Michigan International Speedway. It was his second series victory in his 58th start. His last win came at Dover, three races ago.
*Almirola led just once for seven laps.
*Billy Ballew Motorsports posted its 19th series victory but only its first win at Michigan.
*Toyota posted its sixth win in 2010 and third victory at Michigan.
*Todd Bodine (second) has finished in the top five in eight of the nine races in 2010.
*Kyle Busch (third) scored his fourth top-3 finish at Michigan in five races, but remains winless there.
*Ron Hornaday (fourth) scored his best finish in seven races at Michigan. On Lap 12 under caution, Hornaday was penalized a stop-and-go for adjusting air pressure on pit road.He was running third and had to restart 27th.
*Austin Dillon (fifth) posted his second straight top-5 finish.
*Nelson Picquet Jr. (10th) posted his third top-10 finish in his fourth series start.
*The 20 lead changes set a track record.(ESPN.com)(6-14-2010)
- Almirola backup driver for Jimmie Johnson, if needed UPDATE testing with Hendrick to prepare: Aric Almirola will be four-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson’s backup driver in the coming weeks as Johnson’s wife, Chandra, nears the due date for giving birth to the couple’s first child, Johnson said Friday at Pocono Raceway. Chandra is due in five weeks, and Johnson hopes that means the baby will come sometime in the week off between the Chicago race July 10 and the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis July 29. Johnson said he had confidence in Almirola if he needs to relinquish his car. “He’ll do a great job in the car and it’s just a matter of time before he ends up in a full-time Cup ride,” Johnson said. “The other thing that is good for us is our body size and height are very similar so he’ll be an easy fit to get in the car.”(SceneDaily.com)(6-4-2010)
UPDATE: Aric Almirola likely will test this week with the Hendrick Motorsports No. 48 team at The Milwaukee Mile, but says he doesn’t plan on having to go to Infineon Raceway next week as part of his role as backup driver for father-to-be Jimmie Johnson. “I’m going to hang out and watch the [Michigan] race and stay and listen and see how they operate,” Almirola said Saturday after winning the Camping World Truck Series race at Michigan International Raceway. “The next few weeks should be interesting. “I’m not going to go to Sonoma – that’s not in the plan,” Almirola said about next week’s race at Infineon Raceway. “After Sonoma, from that point forward, I’ll be going to the race track just to be around if they need to me, hanging out and trying to watch and learn.”(SceneDaily.com)(6-13-2010)
- WIX Filter Lap Leader Notes following Michigan:
*Austin Dillon three times for 18 laps to earn WIX Filters Lap Leader of the Race honors in today’s VFW 200. Dillon captured the honor for the first time this season. He has now led four times in two races for a total of 38 laps and at last one lap in each of the last two consecutive races.
*Dillon is just the fourth Raybestos Rookie to lead a lap at Michigan. He joins Kurt Busch (two laps in 2000), Carl Edwards (22 laps in 2003) and Scott Speed (17 laps in 2008).
*Dillon scored a fifth-place finish, his second top-five and fourth top-10 finish in nine races this season. He scored back-to-back top-fives for the first time in his NASCAR Camping World Truck Series career (he placed third June 4 at Texas Motor Speedway).
*Dillon is 11th in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series championship standings, five points behind 10th-place Matt Crafton and 98 ahead of 12th-place Justin Lofton.(WIX Filters PR)(6-12-2010)
- Raybestos Rookie – post-qualifying notes:
*Raybestos Rookie Austin Dillon won the pole position for the VFW 200 here at Michigan, his second consecutive pole.
*Dillon now has two poles in 11 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts.
*Dillon has started inside the top-five in five of nine NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races this season.
*Dillon leads Justin Lofton by nine points (95-86) in the Raybestos Rookie standings.(Raybestos PR)(6-12-2010)
- Texas images added: Added a few images from Texas: #30-Todd Bodine, Germain/Valvoline Toyota; #31-James Buescher, Wolf Pack Rentals Chevy; #51-Aric Almirola, Zyclara/Graceway Pharmaceuticals Toyota; #4-Ricky Carmichael, Monster Chevy; #18-Johnny Benson, KBM Toyota. Check them out via the 2010 NCWTS Paint Scheme Page.(6-10-2010)
- Goodyear Tire Notes – Michigan: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series teams will be running a slightly different set-up than those in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Michigan this weekend . . . while teams in both series will be running the same right-side tire code (D-4272), they will be running distinct left-side codes . . . this is the same ombination of left- and right-side tires that Truck Series teams ran at Dover a few weeks ago . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run liners in all four tire positions at Michigan . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Michigan Race Page.](6-10-2010)
- Austin first 2010 start at MIS; supporting Forgotten Harvest: While in Michigan for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series at Michigan International Speedway, Chase Austin will help Forgotten Harvest, United Race Group and Walgreens of Southeast Michigan drive hunger from Metro Detroit as part of Forgotten Harvest’s Million Meal Challenge.Austin, will be driving the #46 Forgotten Harvest Million Meal Challenge Dodge Ram for Team Gill Racing in support of Forgotten Harvest. As part of the Million Meal Challenge partnership, from June 21 to September 6, 125 Southeast Michigan Walgreen’s locations will be supporting the Million Meal Challenge by accepting food donations in its stores of items like peanut butter, jelly and other Walgreen’s sold food items. Forgotten Harvest was formed in 1990 to fight two problems: hunger and waste.(Chase Austin PR)(6-9-2010)
- NIBCO onboard with Crafton at MIS: NIBCO, a worldwide manufacturer of flow control products for residential, commercial construction, industrial, and irrigation markets, will be featured on the hood of Matt Crafton’s #88 Menards Chevy at Michigan. NIBCO has 11 manufacturing plants throughout the United States, Mexico and Poland and employs more than 2,600 people. Crafton has two career top-five finishes at Michigan, including a fourth-place finish after starting from the second position in 2009. His other top-five run was a fifth-place run in 2006. His average start at MIS is 14.6 and his average finish is 16.6. He has completed 708 of 802 competition laps (88.3%) and has led two laps.(ThorSport Racing PR)(6-8-2010)
- Carmichael & Almirola to participate in “Prelude to the Dream” UPDATE Oakley to sponsor Carmichael: On Wednesday, June 9, the most celebrated dirt track in all of motorsports will host the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream. Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio, will once again be the site of the all-star dirt Late Model race featuring more than 25 world renowned drivers as they battle for dirt supremacy on the half-mile clay oval, all of which will be presented live to the entire nation on HBO Pay-Per-View with proceeds from the telecast supporting four of the nation’s top children’s hospitals. Carmichael & Almirola will be racing with Team St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital in the Prelude along with team members Denny Hamlin [captain], Carl Edwards, Robby Gordon, Ken Schrader and Ray Evernham, and, with the help of the fans, hopes to raise a lot of money for the children’s hospital. Fans can text “Jude” to 90999 to donate. For more race information visit the Jayski Charities Page.(6-2-2010)
UPDATE: When NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver and 15-time AMA Champion Ricky Carmichael takes to the dirt at the famed Eldora Speedway for the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream charity race, he’ll have long-time partner Oakley on-board his late model dirt car as he races to raise money for the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Oakley, which has been a sponsor of Carmichael for the last 19 years in both motocross and NASCAR, will continue its long-standing partnership in the invitation-only charity event hosted by two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Tony Stewart on June 9, 2010.(Turner Motorsports PR)(6-8-2010)
- Raybestos Rookie News & Notes – Michigan:
*Austin Dillon was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in the June 4 WinStar World Casino 400K at Texas Motor Speedway. Dillon grabbed a third-place finish, his best in 10 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races and collected top rookie honors for the fifth time this season. He has racked up one top-five and three top-10s in eight races this season.
*Dillon won the pole at Texas, the first of his truck series career. *At least one Raybestos Rookie has now won a pole position in each of the past three seasons (2008-2010). The others: 2008: Justin Marks (1) and Scott Speed (1); 2009: Johnny Sauter (2) and Brian Ickler (1).
*Dillon leads Justin Lofton by nine points (95-86) in the Raybestos Rookie standings entering the June 12 VFW 200 at Michigan International Speedway.
*Brian Ickler was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in the 2009 VFW 200, scoring a third-place finish.
*Ickler won the pole for the 2009 race at Michigan, joining Jamie McMurray (2000) as the only first-year drivers to win a pole in 10 previous races at Michigan.
*The best finish by a Raybestos Rookie at Michigan is second-place by Kurt Busch in 2000.(Raybestos PR) Rookie point standings are posted on the Michigan Race Page.](6-8-2010)
- Farewell to Longhorn for Hornaday: This week [Michigan] marks the last Truck Series race for primary sponsor Longhorn Moist Snuff. New rules enforced by the Food and Drug Administration will prevent cigarette and smokeless tobacco sponsorships in sporting events as of June 22, forcing Longhorn to discontinue their relationship with KHI. The red, black and yellow colors have adorned Hornaday’s #33 truck for 19 races throughout the 2009 and 2010 seasons. Hornaday recorded four wins in the Longhorn colors in 2009. He also claimed his fourth championship title in the red, black and yellow paint scheme. Hornaday will drive his final race for Longhorn Moist Snuff next week as he climbs into the 33 Kevin Harvick Inc. Nationwide Series entry at Road America in Elk Hart Lake, Wisconsin.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(6-7-2010)
- Double-duty for Piquet at Michigan debut: Nelson Piquet Jr. is slated to make his first start at Michigan International Speedway in this week’s VFW 200. It will be his fourth start in NASCAR Camping World Truck Series competition. In addition to the NCWTS event, Piquet will also drive in Friday’s ARCA Series race in the #6 Toyota for Eddie Sharp Racing. Last week at Texas Motor Speedway, Piquet drove to an eighth-place finish, which marked his second top-10 in three tries.(Billy Ballew Motorsports PR)(6-7-2010)
- Elliott Sadler returns with new sponsor: This weekend at Michigan International Speedway, the #2 Chevrolet will be sporting a new paint scheme with the logos of Grange Insurance and their partner Copart.com. Elliott Sadler will take the wheel of the Kevin Harvick Inc. machine, making his fourth start of the season with the organization. Sadler has named MIS as one of his favorite tracks on the NASCAR circuit. Although this weekend will be his first Truck Series appearance at the 2.0-mile oval, Sadler has made 22 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts at Michigan. Of those 22 Cup Series starts, he has one top-five and five top-10 finishes at the track, earning his best finish of fifth in June of 2004.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(6-7-2010)
- Hermie Sadler back on track at Michigan: SPEED analyst Hermie Sadler will attempt to make his third start of the 2010 season in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series this weekend in the VFW 200 at Michigan. Sadler, the 1993 Nationwide Series Rookie of the Year, has finishes of 12th at Martinsville and 19th at Charlotte in his two starts this year. Sadler will once again be driving the #48 truck owned by Andy Hillenburg and designed by TNA Wrestling Superstar “The Charismatic Enigma” Jeff Hardy. Sadler debuted the truck at Charlotte last month. A limited edition die cast replica of the truck is available at ShopTNA.com. The package that TNA is offering includes the die cast truck as well as a color 8×10 of the truck personally autographed by Jeff Hardy and Hermie Sadler.(Fast Track Racing PR)(6-7-2010)
- Racing Resources – Monday Rundown:
*Todd Bodine won the WinStar World Casino 400K at Texas Motor Speedway. It was Bodine’s 18th series victory in his 148th start, tying Kyle Busch and Dennis Setzer for fourth in all-time wins.
*Bodine posted his first win of 2010, ending a 24-race winless skid that tied the longest winless streak of his career. It was his sixth series win at Texas in his 12th start there. He has won four of the past five Texas June races.
*Bodine led 97 of the 167 laps, the most he has ever led in a Texas race.
*Germain Racing posted its 19th series victory in 250 starts and first win of 2010.
*Johnny Sauter (second) has finished in the top 10 in the past three Texas races.
*Austin Dillon (third) posted his career-best finish in his 10th start.
*Mike Skinner (fourth) posted his best finish of the season.
*Ken Schrader (fifth) has finished in the top 10 in his past two series starts.
*Nelson Piquet Jr. (eighth) posted his second top-10 finish in his third series start.
*Narain Karthikeyan (11th) had his career-best finish.
*Jennifer Jo Cobb (14th) had her career-best finish.(ESPN.com)(6-7-2010)
- EZ Grill to sponsor Sauter at Michigan UPDATE image added: EZ Grill along with Tim McGraw will sponsor the #13 ThorSport Racing Chevy with driver Johnny Sauter in the upcoming NASCAR Camping World Truck Series VFW 200 at Michigan International Speedway. “It’s really cool to have EZ Grill on board the #13 Chevy for the Michigan race,” Sauter said. “I think we have two sponsors that reach out to NASCAR fans the best with EZ Grill and Tim McGraw on board with us.” EZ Grill, complete with all natural charcoal, lights easily with one match and provides at least and hour and a half of cooking time. It is environmentally friendly using plant material versus wood and is 100 percent recyclable. EZ Grill is available at over 49,000 retailers across the United States including Menards, Wal-Mart, Winn-Dixie Safeway, or online. Sauter is currently fifth in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series championship standings with one win (Kansas) so far in 2010 and finished second in the last series event at Texas Motor Speedway.(ThorSport Racing PR)(6-5-2010)
UPDATE: Schematic for the #13 EZ Grill/Tim McGraw Chevy being driven by Johnny Sauter at Michigan is posted on the #13 NCWTS Paint Schemes Page.(6-7-2010)
- RMEF & White team up for two: The world’s largest online auction of firearms and accessories, GunBroker.com, has launched a new partnership to promote the conservation brand, mission and accomplishments of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. The partnership will provide RMEF with premier visibility at GunBroker.com, which boasts some three million unique visitors per month. In addition, the RMEF logo will receive associate-sponsor, rear-tailgate and TV-panel placement on Jason White’s GunBroker.com #23 truck in two nationally televised NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races at Michigan on June 12th and Texas on November 5th. GunBroker.com ads and logo placement will appear within RMEF organizational publications and events through the partnership. RMEF recently passed two key milestones: 5.7 million acres of mostly public-land habitat enhanced or conserved, and 585,000 acres opened or secured for public hunting. White currently sits ninth in the NCWTS standings with two top-ten finishes and was the pole winner at the season opener at Daytona.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(6-7-2010)
- Local veteran to serve as Grand Marshal at MIS: Michigan International Speedway and the VFW Foundation have announced that local U.S. Army veteran Michael Montange of Chelsea, Mich. will serve as grand marshal for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series VFW 200 on Saturday, June 12 at MIS. As grand marshal, Montange will be introduced during pre-race ceremonies for the VFW 200 and will give the famous command for drivers to start their engines before making parade laps in the official Ford Mustang pace car prior to the start of the race. Montange, who served three tours in Iraq, will be joined by his parents, his sister and her husband as special guests of the VFW Foundation’s Salute to Military Families program and will receive VIP treatment throughout the June race weekend. Montange’s girlfriend is currently serving in Iraq and could not join them for the event. Through their Salute to Military Families program at MIS, VFW will provide over 500 local veterans and active duty military and their families with grandstand tickets, chalet and suite hospitality with complimentary food and beverage, and special VIP treatment throughout the event weekend at MIS. Visit www.ReturnTheFavor.org to find out more about the VFW Foundation or to make a donation.(Michigan Int’l Speedway PR)(6-5-2010)
- Dillon to sport special paint scheme: UPDATE image added: The #3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet will sport a special Safari Club International paint scheme this weekend, marking the third consecutive week in which RCR’s Bass Pro Shops team has run a special paint scheme. Dillon will pilot a brand new chassis that will be put through its first paces at this weekend. This Bass Pro Shops Silverado was not originally scheduled for Texas but performed so well in a wind tunnel test that crew chief Danny Stockman and the Bass Pro Shops crew opted to use it this weekend.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(6-2-2010)
UPDATE: Image of the Safai Club International logo on the rear decklid of the #3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet is posted on the NCWTS #3 Paint Schemes Page.(6-3-2010)
- Valvoline, Germain join up: Valvoline, one of the leading brands of automotive lubricants, announced today that it has entered into a technical partnership with Germain Racing and Germain Motor Company, a top-25 automotive dealership network with headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. Valvoline motor oil will be the official motor oil of both entities as well as a team sponsor for Germain Racing entries in NASCAR’s three series — Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Camping World Truck — and the K&N Pro East Series. The agreement calls for Valvoline to be an associate sponsor at all races Germain Racing enters and a primary sponsor at two truck races and two Nationwide races. The truck races with Valvoline primary sponsorship will be Aug. 18 at Bristol Motor Speedway and Nov. 5 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth. The Nationwide primary-sponsored races will be Sept. 4 at Atlanta Motor Speedway and Oct. 15 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The Valvoline/Germain Racing partnership will commence this weekend with Valvoline associate sponsorship on Bodine’s #30 Tundra in Friday night’s truck race at Texas Motor Speedway. Bodine is the points leader in the Camping World Truck Series with six top-five finishes in seven starts.(Valvoline/Germain Racing PR)(6-3-2010)
- Local companies sponsor Starr at TMS: The No. 81 Zachry Toyota Tundra will feature the names of two new partners this weekend at Texas Motor Speedway. WRL General Contractors and the Omni Mandalay Hotel at Las Colinas partnered with Randy Moss Motorsports to support Texas native David Starr who will race in the WinStar World Casino 400k on Friday night. Starr, a veteran in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, was born and raised in Texas and still resides near Texas Motor Speedway. The driver has strong ties to the Fort Worth area and both WRL General Contractors and Omni Mandalay Hotel at Las Colinas saw immediate synergies between their companies and the Randy Moss Motorsports organization. WRL General Contractors, LTD is a Flint, Texas-based 31-year-old construction company that specializes in the construction of commercial and educational institutions. The Omni Mandalay Hotel at Las Colinas is partnering with Randy Moss Motorsports for the Texas NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race this weekend and will have their logo displayed on the No. 81 Zachry Toyota Tundra entry.(Randy Moss Motorsports PR)(6-3-2010)
- Bodine a record-setter at TMS: Todd Bodine doesn’t need any help locating Victory Lane at Texas Motor Speedway. The 46-year-old contender in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series [#30-Germain.com Toyota] broke two TMS records with his victory last June in the WinStar World Casino 400k. He passed Brendan Gaughan for most truck wins at TMS and most wins in a single series at TMS. He also became the first NASCAR truck series driver to win five races at one track. Bodine has collected all those wins in a five-year period, starting in 2004. He had a memorable win in 2006, making a pass on the final lap (the only lap he led) for the victory. He went on to win his only truck series championship that season. Todd Bodine, the first NASCAR truck driver to win five races at one track, has a prominent place in the TMS record book. Here’s a look:
*Most TMS truck wins: 2004-Fall, 2005-Fall, 2006-Spring, 2007-Spring, 2009-Spring
*Fastest race: 2009-Spring
*Closest winning margin: .116 seconds over Mike Skinner, 2006-Spring
*Winner’s best starting position: Won from pole in 2007-Spring
*Winner’s farthest starting position: Won from 22nd in 2004-Fall
*Fewest laps led by winner: 1 in 2006-Spring (ESPN.com)(6-3-2010)
- Goodyear Tire Notes – Texas: These are two new Goodyear tire codes for teams in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series . . . Texas will be the first of three races that these teams will run this tire set-up in 2010 . . . after this weekend, truck teams will run this set-up again at Chicagoland (August 27) and Texas again (November 5) . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires that teams in the NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series ran at Texas this past April . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Texas . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire. [Complete tire specs are posted on the Texas Race Page.](Goodyear PR) (6-3-2010)
- Aramendia to drive the #01 at Texas: Driving the #01 truck at TMS for Daisy Ramirez Motorsports is Texas short track competitor, Joe Aramendia from San Antonio, Texas. Aramendia is currently in a points battle at the Houston Motorsport Park with a win coming just last week in the NASCAR Whelen Late Models. Aramendia ran a few Nationwide races in 2003, and competed in three Truck Series races in 2004.(Daisy Ramirez Motorsports PR)(6-3-2010)
- Benson in the #18 for KBM at Texas: With the #18 Kyle Busch Motorsports Toyota Tundra vacant for Friday’s WinStar World Casino 400k NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Busch immediately put in a call to 2008 Truck Series champion Johnny Benson. Benson wasted little time saying yes and will pilot the #18 Toyota Tundra. Benson has 14 career Truck Series victories and, in addition to his 2008 series championship, he also won the 1995 Nationwide Series title. Benson has proven to be successful at Texas, having scored six top-five finishes in 10 starts at the 1.5-mile oval. He also scored two top-five finishes in eight NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts in the Lone Star State.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(6-1-2010)
- Malsam to Nationwide; KBM shuts down #56: KBM officials announced that Tayler Malsam will depart the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series team to accept a ride in the NASCAR Nationwide Series driving the #10 Braun Racing Toyota beginning with the June 5 Federated Auto Parts 300 at Nashville Superspeedway. This comes just two weeks after KBM driver Brian Ickler announced he would be racing in select Nationwide Series events for Roush Fenway Racing. Braun offered him a chance to move up to the Nationwide Series and we have no reason to hold him back. He’s a driver, like Brian, who absorbed a lot of knowledge from myself, Rick Ren (competition director) and the rest of the guys at KBM. We support him all the way.” As a result of Malsam’s move to the Nationwide Series, the #56 Toyota Tundra that he drove in the first seven Camping World Truck Series events in 2010 will not participate in the remaining events this season. Kyle Busch Motorsports will now focus all of its efforts in capturing the Camping World Truck Series owner’s title for the #18 Toyota Tundra, which leads the series’ championship standings and will be piloted by NASCAR veteran Johnny Benson in the June 4 WinStar World Casino 400k at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth. The driver schedule for KBM’s #18 Toyota entry at the remaining Camping World Truck Series events will be determined at a later date, as Ickler is still scheduled to compete in selected events for KBM.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(6-1-2010)
- Harmon to carry special decal at Texas: Mike Harmon will be driving the #89 Lafferty Ford F-150 at Texas Motor Speedway. Harmon is running a special hood for The Ride for Dime foundation. Ride For Dime, a 501c3 charitable organization, memorialized guitar hero and friend, “Dime” Darrell Abbott along with Jeff Thompson, Nathan Bray, and Erin Halk. Ride for Dime proudly gives back to the charities that were of interest to Dime during his life as well as charities he would have been proud to be a part of, like Little Kids Rock. Abbott, a Dallas, Fort Worth area guitarist, was shot and killed on stage during a Damageplan performance at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio.(Mike Harmon PR)(6-1-2010)
Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors Archive Pages
[Listed by Month]
the Jayski site is housed at:
Born On Date: January 1, 2010
This page designed by Jayski LLC, 1996-2016©. All Rights Reserved.
Jayski’s® is a registered trademark of Jayski, LLC
Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form without permission or credit.