NASCAR Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors
June 2012 Archives
- Congratulations to Timothy & Sara Peters: Congratulations go out to current poiints leader, Timothy Peters and his wife Sara on the announcement last night on SPEED that they are expecting their first child. The couple is very excited and looking forward to this next chapter in their lives.(6-28-2012)
- Kentucky post-race rundown: James Buescher brought the heat on a steamy Kentucky Speedway night and scored his first NASCAR Camping World Truck Series victory at the facility by leading 119 of 150 laps while guiding his #31 Turner Motorsports machine to a 3.805-seconds UNOH 225 victory ahead of Brad Keselowski’s #19 Brad Keselowski Racing ride. Buescher posted the fourth-widest NCWTS margin of victory in Kentucky Speedway history and became the 12th different series race winner in the 14th all-time series event at the track. He earned his second career Kentucky Speedway victory after claiming a 150-mile ARCA Racing Series win on May 9, 2009. Buescher took the lead for the third and final time on Lap 108, survived a restart seven laps later and pulled away from an entertaining battle for position between Keselowski and third-place driver Ty Dillon in the #3 Richard Childress Racing truck. Keselowski picked up his first NCWTS Kentucky Speedway top-five finish in his third career series start at the venue and first since 2006. His posted his previous Kentucky-best 18th-place NCWTS finish on July 9, 2005. The leader in the NCWTS Rookie of the Year standings moved into contention for a victory by racing from 10th place on Lap 100 to second on Lap 110. UNOH 225 pole award winner Matt Crafton took fourth in the #88 ThorSport Racing machine and Timothy Peters completed the top five in the #17 Red Horse Racing truck. Peters takes over the series championship lead with his fifth top-five and seventh top-10 finish of the season. He will head to the series July 14 event at Iowa Speedway with a four-point advantage on former leader Justin Lofton and Dillon.(Kentucky Speedway PR)(6-29-2012)
- Goodyear Tire Notes — Kentucky: While teams in all three NASCAR series in action at Kentucky this week will run the same right-side tire code (D-4440), teams in the Camping World Truck Series will run a slightly different left-side code (D-4394) than those in the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires that Camping World Truck teams ran twice at Kentucky last season . . . truck teams also ran this right-side tire at Dover earlier this month . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Kentucky . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Kentucky Race page.](6-26-2012)
- Bodine — Kentucky Fast Facts: UPDATE Toyota Care to sponsor: After a strong run on both 1.5-mile tracks earlier this season, Todd Bodine, driver of the #11 Red Horse Racing Toyota, is ready to conquer Kentucky Speedway. The two-time NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Champion has eight previous starts at the 1.5-mile tri-oval and looking to return to victory lane as he did during the 2010 season. Alongside his win, Bodine has eight starts, three top-five and five top-10 finishes, with 72 laps led and an average start of 12.1 and an average finish of 9.8 at the track. The veteran also collected a Nationwide Series win at the Speedway in 2002, in his first ever race at the track.(Red Horse Racing PR)(6-25-2012)
UPDATE: Red Horse Racing announced today, that two-time NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Champion Todd Bodine and his #11 Tundra team, will once again be supported by Toyota Care this weekend at Kentucky Speedway for the UNOH 225. “Toyota is pleased to continue its support of Todd’s participation in the 2012 Truck Series season.” said, Les Unger, Toyota National Motorsports Manager. “As a two-time Tundra past champion, Toyota values Todd’s contribution to its NASCAR program and will assist in working with Todd to help secure additional sponsorship for the remainder of the 2012 season. Todd is a very important part of the Toyota racing family. We at Toyota Motorsports want to be a part of his effort in winning his third driver championship and Toyota’s sixth manufacturer’s championship.” Toyota Care previously served as primary sponsor on the #11 Red Horse Racing Tundra at Rockingham Speedway, Kansas Speedway and Charlotte Motor Speedway. In seven races, Bodine has captured one win, three top five and four top-10 finishes thus far.(Red Horse Racing PR)(6-27-2012)
- Sauter & Crafton bringing Texas one-two finish trucks to Kentucky: Headed to one of the fastest tracks on the NCWTS Circuit for the June race of 2012, Johnny Sauter is ready to get back into the drivers seat at Kentucky Speedway. This will be his fifth start in four years at the speedway. He won the pole in the June 2010 race and has one top-five finish. After winning at Texas Motor Speedway, Sauter and the #13 Hot Honeys/Curb Records Toyota Tundra Team are racing the same truck in Kentucky that took them to Victory Lane in Texas. Matt Crafton has been racing trucks at this speedway since 2001 earning three top-five and seven top-10 finishes. The #88 Menards/Great Lakes Wood Floors Toyota Tundra that is racing at Kentucky is the same truck that finished second in the last race at Texas Motor Speedway(ThorSport Racing PR)(6-27-2012)
- SC Watermelon Assn. sponsoring Chastain at Kentucky: After two weeks away from the racetrack and some relaxing time with friends and family; NASCAR rookie driver Ross Chastain heads to the Kentucky Speedway for a rare Thursday night race in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 225. It will be the first of two events at Kentucky for the NCWTS in 2012. Another agricultural organization will support the Chastain’s #08 Toyota Thursday at Kentucky as the South Carolina Watermelon Association has stepped-up to sponsor the SS Green Light team. Once again the National Watermelon Promotion Board is on the rear quarters. Multicorr, a full service corrugated sheet feeder located in Louisville, Kentucky has also joined as an associate for the UNOH 225. One of Multicorr’s products is triplewall bulk packaging for agricultural and industrial applications. The Sunoco Rookie of the Year candidate has moved from twenty-fifth to eighteenth in the NCWTS point standing over the last two races after a series of mechanical set-backs dropped Chastain from the top-fifteen in the standings.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(6-27-2012)
- Kligerman — Kentucky Fast Facts: Parker Kligerman, driver of the #29 Draw-Tite RAM for Brad Keselowski Racing:
*Fifth in series championship standings, 25 points behind leader Justin Lofton.
*Has four top-10 finishes in last five NCWTS races.
*Scored second-place finish in first-ever Kentucky start in 2011.
*Has started inside the top five in both previous NCWTS races at the 1.5-mile speedway.(SRT Motorsports PR)(6-27-2012)
- Congrats to Bryan & Misty Silas: On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Bryan Silas and wife Misty welcomed their second child, a healthy baby boy to the family. Braydon Walter Lee Silas was delivered at 2:55pm/et weighing in at nine pounds, seven ounces. Both mother and the newborn are doing well and resting comfortably in a local Stuart, Florida hospital. Silas will compete in Thursday’s UNOH 225 at Kentucky Speedway driving the #99 Rockingham Speedway Ford F-150.(T3R PR)(6-27-2012)
- Keselowski triple-duty weekend at Kentucky: This will be a busy weekend for 28-year-old Brad Keselowski. In addition to his driving duties behind the wheel of the #2 Miller Lite machine as well as the #22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, Keselowski will make the fourth of six scheduled NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts for the #19 Ram from Brad Keselowski Racing in 2012.(Penske Racing PR)(6-26-2012)
- Falk joins Hillman Racing for Kentucky race: C.E. Falk III’s early racing journey has spanned Virginia and the Carolinas, winning races at most every track he visits and constantly improving with every lap he takes. The multi-time Late Model track champion’s journey takes him to Kentucky for the first time as he makes his 2012 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series debut with Hillman Racing in the June 28 running of the UNOH 225 at Kentucky Speedway. The 24-year-old Virginia Beach, Va., native is no stranger to the national racing scene. He currently sits second in the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series national standings with nine victories. Falk has won multiple times on the three Virginia short tracks he’s competed on this season — his home track of Langley Speedway, South Boston Speedway and Motor Mile Speedway. Since the 2007 season when he joined the Late Model ranks on a full-time basis, Falk has won 45 times, recording 109 top-five and 128 top-10 finishes in 152 starts. He has made starts at most every NASCAR-sanctioned short track in Virginia. Falk is racing the #27 Chevrolet for Hillman Racing. The organization, in its first season fielding a truck, sits 19th in the Truck Series owner standings after fellow Virginians Ward and Jeb Burton piloted the Silverado at the start of the season. Ward Burton, the 2002 Daytona 500 champion, finished eighth in the season opener at Daytona and Jeb followed with finishes of 19th or better in four of the next five races. The younger Burton finished eighth at the 1.5-mile Charlotte Motor Speedway, which gives the team something to build off of for Falk’s debut at Kentucky.(Hillman Racing PR)(6-26-2012)
- Points leader, Lofton spends off week at driving school: After coming off another top-10 finish in Texas where it felt like one slipped away, Justin Lofton used the off week to take advice from his sponsor CollegeComplete.com and take some classes. To be more specific, he attended Rally Driving School in New Hampshire, learning skills that will help him both on the track and in his off-road racing. This week Lofton visits Kentucky, as he leads the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) point standings with his #6 College Complete/ESR team by the way of a race win, three top-five, and seven top-10 finishes. Lofton has been working tirelessly this season promoting the Free Education Advice that his sponsor CollegeComplete.com offers. As yet another break in the season came about, he decided to fill his time expanding his knowledge and show once again that there is always room to learn more. With his reaction skills improved after four days at Rally School, Lofton is heading to the 1.5-mile Kentucky Speedway this week. He will be driving the same #6 College Complete Chevrolet that he pulled into victory lane at Charlotte Motor Speedway.(Lofton Racing/ESR PR)(6-26-2012)
- Larson makes series debut at Kentucky: UPDATE EGR development driver; to drive awareness to team’s social media: It was announced on twitter that nineteen year-old Kyle Larson will make his NASCAR Camping World truck debut this weekend at Kentucky Speedway. Larson is entered in the #4 Chevrolet for Turner Motorsports. [Larson recently picked up his first K&N Pro Series East Slack Auto Parts 150 at Gresham Motorsports Park on June 9th. Monday night he won the A-Main in the UNOH All Star Circuit of Champions Sprint car event at Wayne County Speedway. Larson, who picked up his first UNOH All Star win the previous night at Cannonball Speedway, scored his second consecutive victory at a track he had never laid eyes on. Larson made his first ARCA start at Michigan International Speedway on June 15, where he started 7th and finished 13th.](Twitter-@TrucksOnSPEED) [More background on Kyle Larson is posted on the Kentucky Race page.](6-26-2012)
UPDATE: EGR developmental driver Kyle Larson will make his first national touring series start in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series at Kentucky Speedway on Thursday, June 28, with a unique paint scheme aimed to drive awareness toward the team’s social media engagement. The 19-year-old will race the #4 Turner Motorsports entry branded by EGR social and digital media assets, including: @EGRTeams, EarnhardtGanassi.com and the Chip Ganassi Racing Teams mobile application.(EGR PR)(6-26-2012)
- UNOH associate for Dillon at Kentucky: Not only is the University of Northwestern Ohio (UNOH) the title sponsor of the eighth Camping World Truck Series race at Kentucky Speedway this season, the Lima, Ohio-based college is an associate sponsor on Dillon’s #3 Bass Pro Chevrolet. UNOH offers a unique curriculum to young people interested in professional motorsports competition as a career with associate degrees and diploma programs in High Performance Motorsports. This week’s 150-lap event marks Ty Dillon’s second appearance at the Sparta, Ky.-based facility. Dillon made his first career Camping World Truck Series start at the 1.5-mile track in September of last year where he finished 18th after fuel system issues plagued the team in the later stages of the race. Dillon remains third in the 2012 Camping World Truck Series driver championship point standings, 12 markers behind the leader Justin Lofton. Dillon continues to lead the 2012 Sunoco Rookie of the Year point standings after assuming the lead following the third race of the season. He now sits 35 points ahead of driver Cale Gale after seven races on the Camping World Truck Series schedule.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(6-26-2012)
- George in the #2; team to show military support at Kentucky: Potomac Family Dining Group along with Applebee’s will support the NASCAR Unites program through the “Thank You Movement”, in celebrating military families and the heroes of our American Armed Forces. The Richard Childress Racing #2 Applebee’s/Potomac Family Dining Group Chevrolet Silverado driven by Tim George Jr. will sport a special patriotic-themed “Thank You” paint scheme at the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Ky. on June 28. The Applebee’s “Thank You Movement” is an ongoing worldwide program offering fans an opportunity to personally say Thank You to the U.S. Military – via the Applebee’s website, Twitter, Facebook and You Tube pages. For more information, visit the Applebee’s – Thank You Movement website.(Richard Childress Racing PR) [Rendering of the #2 truck is posted on the #2 NCWTS 2012 Paint Schemes page.](6-26-2012)
- Hornaday — Kentucky Fast Facts: Ron Hornaday Jr. heads to Kentucky Speedway for this weekend’s UNOH 225 to defend his title as the October 2011 NCWTS race winner. Four-time NCWTS champion, Ron Hornaday will be driving for win number four at Kentucky Speedway in his #9 Joe Denette Motorsports Chevrolet. With 51 wins to his resume, the series veteran is still looking for his first win with Joe Denette Motorsports in 2012. In eight starts at the 1.5-mile tri-oval, Hornaday has led 141 laps en route to three wins, one pole, three top-five and five top-10 finishes. In 2011, Hornaday started second and led 42 laps before bringing home his third victory of 2011. Ron Hornaday is one of only two active NASCAR Camping World Truck Series drivers that have won at Kentucky Speedway, and is the only repeat NCWTS winner at Kentucky. Hornaday is currently ninth in the 2012 NCWTS driver point standings heading into this weekend’s event in the Blue Grass State, just 29 points out of fifth and 54 points behind leader, Justin Lofton. (Joe Denette Motorsports PR)(6-26-2012)
- Piquet heads to Kentucky with momentum; Magic Brazil on on board, image added: Nelson Piquet Jr. won his first NASCAR Nationwide Series pole, and went on to capture his first NASCAR Nationwide Series win at Road America this past weekend in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. This was the first win for a Brazilian in NASCAR, and a first for Piquet Jr. in one of NASCAR’s top-three series, in only his third NNS start. Magic Brazil is on board the #30 truck for this Thursday’s UNOH 220 under the lights at Kentucky Speedway. Magic Brazil is the official online store for Piquet Jr. in Brazil. Of Note: Twitter lends a hand… After Piquet Jr.’s native Brazil got wind of his pole position for Saturday’s race, they used social media efforts to pressure Brazilian media into showing the Sargento 200 live on television. Their efforts paid off, a scheduled soccer match in Brazil was shown at a later time so Piquet Jr.’s fans at home could witness him make history. Piquet has two prior starts at Kentucky with a best finish of fourth in last October’s race.(Turner Motorsports PR) [Rendering of the #30-Magic Brazil Chevrolet is posted on the #30 NCWTS 2012 Paint Schemes page.](6-26-2012)
- Holman making first trip to Kentucky: Henderson Motorsports plans to make their Kentucky Speedway debut this Thursday in the UNOH 225 with Caleb Holman behind the wheel of the Food Country USA Chevrolet. Holman, who has never driven at Kentucky Speedway before, will have to qualify his way into the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series field Thursday afternoon. Lays Photo Chips and Pepsi have come on board the #75-Food Country USA Chevrolet this week as associate sponsors.(Henderson Motorsports PR)(6-26-2012)
- Gresham making Kentucky debut: Max Gresham will make his debut at Kentucky Speedway in this weekend’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 225 on Thursday night, June 28. Although Gresham is making his NCWTS debut behind the wheel of the #24-Made In USA Brand Chevrolet Silverado at Kentucky Speedway, the rookie tested an ARCA car at the 1.5-mile tri-oval in 2010 From the driver, Max Gresham… “I tested an ARCA car at Kentucky in 2010 but I’m not sure what to expect going there in a truck. I am fortunate to have a veteran driver like Ron (Hornaday) to lean on in these situations. He has a lot of success there and he will be able to give me a ride around the track and show me what to expect when I get behind the wheel on Thursday.” Qualifying will air live on SPEED at 5:00pm/et on Thursday, June 28 and the 14th Annual UNOH 225 is slated for 7:30pm/et. (Joe Denette Motorsports PR)(6-26-2012)
- KBM’s #18 defending UNOH 225 winner; Leffer to pilot: Jason Leffler is hoping that the UNOH 225 at Kentucky will be his first win behind the wheel of the #18 Dollar General Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports. The Dollar General Tundra is the defending UNOH 225 winner, as owner-driver Kyle Busch came from the rear of the field – after being late to the driver’s meeting due to Sprint Cup Series testing – to earn his team’s sixth 2011 victory. Busch also had the dominant truck in the 2010 event in The Bluegrass State, leading a race-high 73 laps before being relegated to a seventh-place finish, when the race was decided by fuel strategy. Leffler captured the pole for his first Truck Series event at Kentucky and led double-digit laps en route to fifth-place finishes in both of his previous starts in NASCAR’s third division.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(6-26-2012)
- Buescher doubles up at Kentucky; Exide returns to truck: James Buescher and the #31 Turner Motorsports Chevrolet team will sport the blue and black colors of Exide Batteries again on Thursday night at Kentucky Speedway. This will be the Georgia-based company’s second race as the primary partner on the #31 machine in 2012. James Buescher will be a busy man while in the Bluegrass State. Not only will he pilot the #31 Exide Batteries Chevrolet on Thursday night, but the 22-year-old driver will also be behind the wheel of the #30 Fresh From Florida Chevrolet in Friday’s NASCAR Nationwide Series event. Buescher is still in the thick of the NCWTS championship battle. He and the #31 Exide Batteries Chevrolet team sit 24 points out of the lead with 15 races remaining on the 2012 schedule.(Turner Motorsports PR)(6-25-2012)
- White — Kentucky Fast Facts: This will mark Jason’s eighth career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start at the Kentucky Speedway. His best finish was fourth during the 2010 season after starting in the 13th position. He also earned another top-five finish in the first of two races at the Kentucky track last year. He has led a total of two laps at the track and has a best qualifying effort of ninth in this event last season on his way to that fifth place finish.JW Demolition Enjoying Ride: JW Demolition continues its season long sponsorship of Jason White and the GunBroker.com team. JW Demolition will continue this week as an Associate Sponsor on the #23 GunBroker.com Ford with additional Primary Sponsorship races ahead this season.(GunBroker.com Racing PR)(6-25-2012)
- Harraka making first Kentucky start; team looking to get back racing: After a three week hiatus the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series is back to action at Kentucky Speedway for the running of the UNOH 225 race Thursday, June 28, 2012. This will be Paulie Harraka’s [#5-Wauters Motorsports Ford] first start at the 1.5-mile Sparta, Kentucky race track but not his first time at the Kentucky Speedway. I’ve tested cars at Kentucky before and know that the bumpy nature of the track will play a big factor in our weekend,” Harraka commented. “The off weeks between Texas and Kentucky have been exactly what this team and I needed,” Paulie Harraka said. “We were able to spend some great time together in Milwaukee and have grown closer as a team. We’ve carefully evaluated where we are at and what we need to do moving forward, and are looking at the Kentucky as if it were the start of a whole new season. For that, I’m really excited.” Team owner Richie Wauters, in his tenure as a crew chief, has never gone to victory lane but has had two top-five and four top-10 finishes in just seven starts at the intermediate sized racetrack. Wauters best finish was third-place position with Aric Almirola as the driver in 2010.(Wauters Motorsports PR)(6-25-2012)
- Piquet wins Nationwide race at Road America: Nelson Piquet Jr. enjoyed a lot of firsts during the NASCAR Nationwide series Sargento 200 race weekend at Road America. After a career in Formula 1, Piquet Jr. used his first career pole and laps led to earn his very first NASCAR national series win on the Wisconsin road course [#30-Qualcomm/Autotrac Chevrolet for Turner Motorsports]. In his third career NASCAR Nationwide start, the native of Brazil drove a flawless final 16 laps with the lead, earning a 2.258-second win over runner-up Michael McDowell.(NASCAR Wire Service) [Complete race results are posted on the Road America Results page.](6-23-2012)
- Piquet & Paludo to run Nationwide at Road America: UPDATE 2 Double-duty for Piquet: Turner Motorsports announced today it will field four NASCAR Nationwide Series entries in the upcoming race at Road America. Brazilian drivers Nelson Piquet Jr. and Miguel Paludo will join full-time NNS championship competitor Justin Allgaier (#31) and #38 driver Brad Sweet in the June 23rd race at the 4.048-mile road course in Elkhart Lake, Wis. Paludo, who is slated to drive the #32 Chevrolet Impala, will be making his first career NNS start. A two-time champion in the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Brasil, Paludo has extensive road racing experience, but has only made one start on a NASCAR road course circuit (Lime Rock Park in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East, where he started and finished ninth). Piquet Jr., scheduled to pilot the #30 Chevrolet Impala, has two previous career NNS starts. Hailing from the road course circuits of Formula 1, Piquet Jr. made his NNS debut at Watkins Glen International in 2010, earning a seventh-place finish, his best NNS finish to date. The Sargento 200 is scheduled to take place on Saturday, June 23rd and will air live on ESPN at 3:00 PM ET. Piquet Jr. is guaranteed a starting spot in the field by virtue of the #30’s full-time NNS status, while Paludo will have to qualify the #32 into the race on time because it has not accrued any owner points in 2012.(Turner Motorsports PR)(5-31-2012)
UPDATE: Piquet, Paludo To Display Road Racing Skills At Road America: At first glance, it appears Nelson Piquet Jr. and Miguel Paludohave a lot in common. For example, both are Brazilian natives embarking on their second full season of competition in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series for Turner Motorsports. But their racing backgrounds could not be more different. Piquet– whose father has 23 Formula One victories — was born into a racing family and spent much of his career in the open wheel ranks before making the jump to stock cars in 2010. Paludo’s first introduction to racing came in the form of go-karts at the age of 14. He later embarked on a successful sports car career before making the journey to North America to compete in NASCAR in 2010. The duo will compete in the NASCAR Nationwide Series Sargento 200 at Road America on Saturday for Turner Motorsports. It will be Paludo’s first NASCAR Nationwide Series start and Piquet’s third. Piquet finished seventh in his NASCAR Nationwide debut at Watkins Glen International in 2010.(NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications) [For more NASCAR News & Notes for the Open Week beginning June 18, 2012, see the Kentucky Race page.(6-19-2012)
UPDATE 2: Nelson Piquet Jr will make his GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge debut this weekend at Road America, driving the #26 Freedom Autosport Mazda MX-5 with Andrew Carbonell. Piquet will be co-driving the Mazda that Carbonell usually shares with Rhett O’Doski. When O’Doski had to withdraw from this weekend’s race due to charity obligations, Freedom Autosport was able to offer Piquet the chance to race with them in the Street Tuner class. The Road America 200 will present a lot of firsts for Piquet, who is competing in both the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge and the NASCAR Nationwide Series races. In addition to marking his first time in a Mazda and his GRAND-AM debut, this weekend is also Piquet’s first visit to Road America.(NPiquet.com)(6-22-2012)
- Charter joins RCR teams: Richard Childress Racing’s affiliation with Charter will take center stage this weekend as the St. Louis, Mo.-based company becomes the primary sponsor on the #2 Chevrolet at Road America in the NASCAR Nationwide Series event on June 23 with driver Elliott Sadler. Charter, the fourth-largest cable operator in the United States and a leading broadband communications company, will also adorn several RCR entries throughout the 2012 season including the #2 and #22 Chevrolets in the Camping World Truck Series..(Richard Childress Racing PR)(6-18-2012)
- Coulter heads to Michigan for ARCA race: UPDATE Coulter to start from pole — sets track record: Fresh off his third-place finish in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event in Texas Motor Speedway, Joey Coulter will head to the Irish Hills and Michigan International Speedway for the running of the ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards RainEater Wiper Blades 200 this Friday. Coulter, will be back in the drivers seat of the #61 Rip It Energy Fuel Chevy for the third time this season. In three prior MIS starts the 22-year-old Coulter Motorsports driver has three top-10 and two top-five finishes. He has a best starting spot of eighth and finish of second coming in 2010. Harold Holly, Coulter’s NCWTS crew chief will call the shots for the #61 team this Friday at MIS. Billy Odea will serve at Coulter’s eyes from above for the 200-miles on Friday afternoon. Odea routinely navigates Kevin Harvick in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, this will mark Odea and Coulter’s first time working together.(Coulter Motorsports PR)(6-12-2012)
UPDATE: Joey Coulter, making a special appearance in the ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards on a week off from his NASCAR schedule, sped to a new ARCA qualifying record at Michigan International Speedway and will start first in tonight’s RainEater Wiper Blades 200. In three prior ARCA starts at Michigan, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series full-timer has never finished outside the top 10, and he’ll have a certain chance to score his first Michigan win after driving his qualifying lap in 37.471 seconds (192.149 mph), easily snapping Cale Gale’s former track record of just under 190 mph. Tonight’s race will begin at 5:00pm/et with SPEED airing live coverage.(ARCARacing.com)(6-15-2012)
- Monday Rundown — Racing Resources:
*Johnny Sauter won the WinStar World Casino 400 at Texas Motor Speedway on Friday. It was his fifth career Truck series win in his 93rd start and his first Texas victory in eight starts at the Fort Worth track.
*Sauter became the seventh different winner in seven races of 2012. The seven different winners to start a season is the most in series history.
*Sauter posted only his second top-10 finish this season.
*Sauter led 41 laps, including the final 22.
*ThorSport Racing posted its eighth career win but only its first victory at Texas and its first of 2012.
*Toyota scored its 10th win at Texas and third victory of 2012.
*Matt Crafton (second) had his third runner-up finish at Texas and best finish this season. It was his 50th career top-5 finish.
*Joey Coulter (third) had his career-best finish. His previous best was fifth, done five times.
*Brendan Gaughan (fourth) had his first top-5 finish since Kentucky last year.
*Nelson Piquet Jr. (fifth) had his fifth top-10 in seven races this season.
*Ty Dillon (seventh) has finished in the top 10 in the past nine races.
*Justin Lofton (ninth) finished in the top 10 in all seven races this season and leads the points by five over Timothy Peters. He led a career-high 55 laps — the most of all drivers.
*Timothy Peters (11th) had his first finish outside of the top 10 this season.(ESPN.com)(6-11-2012)
- Crafton’s #88 to feature Goof Off products at Texas: Matt Crafton, driving the #88 Menards/Goof Off Toyota Tundra, is headed to Texas Motor Speedway Friday for his 23rd career start at the track. With two poles, five top-fives and 11 top-tens, Matt is looking to continue climbing the points ladder. With his finish of 8th at Dover, Matt is currently in 9th place in the NCWTS Driver Point Standings. The #88 is featuring Goof Off products clean tough messes and mistakes around the home, garage and workshop. Owned by W.M. Barr & Company and based in Memphis, Tennessee, Goof Off products are available for purchase at major retailers and grocery stores or online.(ThorSport Racing PR)(6-7-2012)
- Starr heads home to Texas with Zachry: The Zachry Holdings, Inc.-sponsored NASCAR driver David Starr and the Arrington Racing team will head to Starr’s home state of Texas with the #81 Zachry Toyota Tundra for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) WinStar World Casino 400 at the Texas Motor Speedway in Ft. Worth, Friday, June 8, 2012. Starr remains at 14th in points for the season and finished in 14th place during last week’s Lucas Oil 200 at the Dover International Speedway. The race was called due to inclement weather with 53 laps remaining. David Starr will not only be racing in Texas this week, but also plans to visit with Zachry employees at the Sandy Creek construction project in Riesel, Texas, as well as those working at the GE construction project in Ft. Worth. Nearly 300 employees and guests plan to attend the race to support Starr and the #81 Zachry Toyota Tundra.(Zachry PR)(6-7-2012)
- Sauter — Texas Preview: Johnny Sauter, driver of the #13 Hot Honeys/Curb Records Toyota Tundra, makes his eighth NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start for ThorSport Racing at Texas Motor Speedway on Friday, June 8th. Sauter has one pole, two top fives and five top tens under his belt at Texas. Sauter comments: “Texas is a great track for me.” commented Sauter. “It’s all about track position there, and you don’t want to work up from the middle of the field. We’ve always run up front there. The goal with my crew chief, Joe Shear, Jr, is to run up front from the get go.(Thorsport Racing PR)(6-7-2012)
- RCR/ECR to honor memory of co-worker: All six Richard Childress Racing entries in this weekend’s NASCAR races at Pocono Raceway and Texas Motor Speedway will carry decals honoring the memory of long-time RCR/ECR Engines employee Tommy Lee “Sy” Earnhardt. Earnhardt, 63, passed away June 2, 2012 at his home in North Carolina after a long illness. He had been an engine assembler for RCR/ECR Engines since November 1998. His NASCAR engine building career included stops at Benfield Racing, Mike Curb Racing, Stavola Bros/Bobby Allison, and Cale Yarborough Motorsports. Sy also was the owner of Firehouse Racing Engines, which built late model stock car engines.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(6-6-2012)
- Goodyear Tire Notes — Texas: These are the same left- and right-side tire codes that NASCAR Camping World Truck Series teams ran twice at Texas last season … while this right-side code (D-4418) is unique to Texas, these teams ran this left-side code (D-4392) many times in 2011 — once each at Chicagoland, Darlington, Homestead; and twice at Nashville … as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners on all four tire positions at Texas … air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Texas Race page.](6-6-2012) [
- Fast Facts — Parker Kligerman: #29 Reese Towpower RAM, Brad Keselowski Racing
*Scored second-place finish last week at Dover (Del.) International Speedway, his first top five of the season.
*Second-place finish at Dover equaled his best career finish in the series. He was second in last year’s spring race at TMS, .936 seconds behind winner Ron Hornaday Jr.
*Fifth in the series championship standings, 22 points behind leader Justin Lofton and six behind fourth-place James Buescher; nine points separate Kligerman from third-place Ty Dillon.
*All three top 10 finishes have come at superspeedway races.
*Has one top-five and two top-10 finishes in three previous NCWTS starts at TMS.
*Has completed all possible laps — 1,007 — in the first six races this season, one of just five drivers to complete every lap.(SRT Motorsports – Dodge)(6-6-22012)
- Vacuworx partners with Russ Dugger Racing: Vacuworx is pleased to announce their new partnership with Russ Dugger Racing as a secondary sponsor during their 2012 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series schedule. Headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Vacuworx’s innovative products afford the safest, fastest, and smartest way to handle large and bulky items in the field. The agreement between RDR and Vacuworx provides secondary sponsor placement on the #12 JPO Absorbents Chevrolet Silverado at the six races in which Dugger is slated to compete, including Bristol, Kentucky, Martinsville, Homestead, Kansas, and Texas Motor Speedway. The next race for Russ Dugger will be a night race on Thursday, June 28th at Kentucky Speedway(Russ Dugger Racing PR)(6-9-2012)
- Chastain set for return to Texas Melon 1 onboard: NASCAR rookie driver Ross Chastain can finally claim a first this week. For the first time in his career, the Florida teen will return to a track that he is familiar with as the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series heads to the Texas Motor Speedway for the WinsStar World Casino 400k. Last November in only his fourth career start, Chastain started 33rd at Texas before earning his first-ever lead lap finish coming home 16th. Melon 1, the largest shipper of watermelons on the East Coast will adorn the hood of Chastain’s #08 Toyota Friday night at Texas and will be joined by the National Watermelon Promotion Board on the rear quarters. The WinStar World Casino 400k is the 277th consecutive NCWTS start for the SS Green Light Racing team and the twelfth career start for Chastain in the Truck Series.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(6-6-2012)
- Seventh different winner sets season-opening record: Seven different winners to begin the 2012 season and counting. And that’s a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series record. Sauter’s Texas Motor Speedway victory eclipsed 2004 as the most competitive beginning of 17 previous campaigns. Sauter is the third driver to win both this year and last, joining Kevin Harvick and Kasey Kahne. The 2012 season has produced three first-time winners — James Buescher, John King and Justin Lofton. Dover winner Todd Bodine broke a winless drought dating to 2010. Among last year’s winners yet to visit Victory Lane are Crafton, four-time series champion Ron Hornaday Jr. and Timothy Peters. Poised to possibly score breakthrough wins are Sunoco Rookie of the Year leader Ty Dillon, Parker Kligerman, Nelson Piquet Jr. and Joey Coulter. Dillon, Kligerman and Piquet all have posted second-place finishes. Coulter’s third place — a virtual photo finish with Crafton in Texas — was a career best for the 2011 Sunoco Rookie of the Year.(NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications) [More NASCAR News & Notes are posted on the Kentucky Race page.](6-12-2012)
- Texas News & Notes — Cale Gale: Cale Gale, driving the #33- Rheem Chevrolet, will make his second NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start at Texas Motor Speedway this weekend in the WinStar World Casino 400. The Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender last competed at Texas Motor Speedway in November 2008 when he started on the outside front row, narrowly missing the pole by one one-thousandth of a second. Gale’s fifth-place finish at Dover International Speedway was not only his best finish of the 2012 season, but also his career-best finish in the NCWTS. . With his top-five finish at Dover International Speedway, Gale moved in to second-place in the Sunoco Rookie of the Year standings. Currently 33 points behind leader Ty Dillon. Of Note: After his fifth-place finish at Dover International Speedway, Gale climbed behind the wheel of the #83 Rheem modified to win the Rolling Thunder Modified race at Dillon Motor Speedway on Saturday, June 2. Gale qualified on the pole and led all 50 laps en route to the checkered flag.(Eddie Sharp Racing PR)(6-6-2012)
- Leffler & Ty Dillon to run Prelude To The Dream LM race: Series regulars Ty Dillon and Jason Leffer are among the many drivers scheduled to participate in Tony Stewart’s eight annual Prelude To The Dream — Feed The Children Dirt Late Model race at Eldora Speedway tonight. Ty Dillon will be driving the Team Dillon Racing #41 Hunt Brothers Pizza Chevrolet; Leffler will be in the #71 for Chris Wall Racing. For more details on the Prelude, see the Jayski Charities page.(6-6-2012)
- Piquet headed to Pocono for NASCAR/Twitter partnership launch: Nelson Piquet Jr. will be pulling double duty this weekend. After racing in Texas in the #30-truck this Friday night, Piquet Jr. will head to Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pennsylvania for the Pocono 400. As much as Piquet Jr. wishes he was behind the wheel in Pocono, he’ll be having just as much fun tweeting and helping NASCAR with the official launch of their partnership with social media giant, Twitter. Stay connected this weekend by following @NelsonPiquet and using the NASCAR “hash tag” (#NASCAR) to stay in the loop. The #30 Silverado welcomes aboard San Diego, California based company Websense, Inc. for the WinStar World Casino 400K this weekend. Websense, Inc. is a global leader in unified Web, data, and email content security, delivers the best security for modern threats at the lowest total cost of ownership to tens of thousands of enterprise, mid-market, and small organizations around the world.(Turner Motorsports PR)(6-5-2012)
- Lofton to Texas with momentum, consistency & points lead: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series points leader Justin Lofton rolls in to the Lone Star state this week with a streak of momentum, consistency, and, a strong Eddie Sharp Racing team. The combination has provided Lofton with a race win, three top-five, and six top-10 finishes spanning the first six events. The results have catapulted him into the points lead. Despite holding the top spot, Lofton wants more, noting that a one-point lead just isn’t comfortable enough. Just two races removed from his first career NCWTS win, Lofton will climb back behind the wheel of the same #6 CollegeComplete.com Chevrolet Silverado this week for the WinStar World Casino 400k at the Texas Motor Speedway that he drove to victory in Charlotte. Lofton has four previous Truck Series starts at the 1.5-mile Texas track with two 10th place finishes to his credit. Last November the California racer started sixth and led six laps before finishing 10th.(Lofton Racing/ESR PR)(6-6-2012)
- Gaughan returns to #2 at Texas: Brendan Gaughan will pilot the #2 South Point Hotel & Casino Chevrolet this weekend at Texas Motor Speedway. In 15 Camping World Truck Series starts at the 1.5-mile speedway, Gaughan has notched four victories, six top-five and 10 top-20 finishes. Gaughan is no stranger to Victory Lane in the “Lone Star State.” He won his first Camping World Truck Series race at Texas Motor Speedway in 2002 and went on to win the next three consecutive events at the track. Gaughan is the only driver to sweep four consecutive Truck Series events at the 1.5-mile facility.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(6-5-2012)
- Leffler back in #18 at Texas; also racing other series: After spending the last six seasons driving full-time in the Nationwide Series, Jason Leffler is trying to adjust to running a 15-race Truck Series schedule with Kyle Busch Motorsports. In an effort to keep his mind and body sharp behind the wheel, the California native has returned to where it all started; grassroots racing. Leffler is in the midst of a 14-day stretch where he is racing in four different series across three different states. He spent Memorial Day weekend in Indiana where he ran the Night Before the 500 USAC Midget Series race at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis – a.686-mile paved oval – Saturday, and the weekly Sprint car show at Kokomo Speedway – a ¼-mile dirt oval – Sunday. The veteran driver hits the trails again this week with two more stops. Leffler’s first stop will be Eldora Speedway – a half-mile clay oval in New Weston, Ohio – for Wednesday’s 2012 Feed The Children Prelude to the Dream all-star dirt late model race. Shortly after the checkered flag drops, he will pack his bags, hop on a jet and head to Texas Motor Speedway where he will drive the #18 Dollar General Tundra in Friday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series WinStar World Casino 400. Dollar General is giving fans an extra reason to cheer for Jason Leffler this season. If the #18 Dollar General Tundra brings home a top-10 finish in Friday’s WinStar World Casino 400, everyone will receive 10% off on all online products purchased at DollarGeneral.com next Monday, June 11 and if he wins, the savings increase to 20% off.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(6-5-2012)
- Dillon making second series trip to Texas: This week’s 167-lap event marks Ty Dillon’s second appearance at Texas Motor Speedway. Texas-based facility. Dillon earned his first career top-five Camping World Truck Series finish there in November 2011, capturing a third-place result after starting from the eighth position in his second career Truck Series start. Dillon continues to lead the 2012 Sunoco Rookie of the Year point standings after consuming the lead following the third race of the season. He now sits 33 points ahead of driver Cale Gale after six races on the Camping World Truck Series schedule. Dillon remains third in the 2012 Camping World Truck Series drivers championship point standings, 13 markers behind the leader Justin Lofton. (Richard Childress Racing PR)(6-5-2012)
- Armstrong to raise American farmer awareness: Hailing from a family with strong agricultural roots, Dakoda Armstrong will be raising awareness about the American farmer with “Protect The Harvest” this weekend at Texas. In an effort to educate American citizens about the benefits of agriculture, “Protect The Harvest” emphasizes the value of farming and the food and products American farms provide for our country. The organization’s logo will be shown on the hood of the ThorSport Racing #98 Toyota Tundra for Friday night’s WinStar World Casino 400. Armstrong has one previous start at Texas in the ARCA series where he started 10th and finished 12th. (ThorSport Racing PR)(6-5-2012)
- Stenzel returns to MB for Texas: MB Motorsports will give Scott Stenzel his second NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start June 8th at Texas Motor Speedway driving the #65 Chevy Silverado for Mike Mittler. The team successfully made their first 2012 start, and finish, at Kansas Speedway in April and look forward to carry their momentum to Texas. “This race is going to be the longest race I have ever raced,” states Stenzel. “Mike and the crew have been working overtime making sure everything was triple checked before we unloaded.” The move to a Chevrolet paid off at Kansas and continues to prove to be a formidable effort as the team sets up for Texas. “We have a great truck and a great driver. I feel confident about our effort and preparation for Texas,” exclaimed Mike Mittler, Team Owner. This will mark the second MB Motorsports race powered with a Chevy Silverado in 2012.(MB Motorsports PR)(6-5-2012)
- SWM International onboard with Hornaday for Texas: Ron Hornaday Jr.and the #9 Joe Denette Motorsports team welcome SWM International Inc. for this weekend’s WinStar World Casino 400K at Texas Motor Speedway. SWM, a custom design and manufacturing company, develops and builds the highest quality oil field completion tools including oil well perforating guns. SWM is also proud to announce the purchase of the Red Bull Racing machine shop and its move to Texas to continue manufacturing suspension and frame parts for the NASCAR market. The Pampa, Texas company will adorn the hood of Hornaday’s Chevrolet Silverado as the defending winner of the June 2011 NCWTS race at TMS.(Joe Denette Motorsports PR)(6-5-2012)
- American Ethanol to sponsor Chicagoland truck race: Chicagoland Speedway today announced Growth Energy and the Illinois Corn Marketing Board have partnered to become the event title sponsor of its 2012 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race. The American Ethanol 225 on Saturday, July 21, represents the return of summer night racing to Chicagoland Speedway. Representing a wide array of ethanol supporters, from farmers to bio-engineering firms, American Ethanol was established by Growth Energy in partnership with the National Corn Growers Association and others. Ethanol represents the most commercially-viable alternative to 100% petroleum-based fuel that America currently holds, and corn ethanol reduces emissions by 59 percent.(Chicagoland Speedway PR)(6-5-2012)
- Texas is home track for Buescher & team owner: James Buescher is a Texas native and considers Texas Motor Speedway his home track. The 22-year-old was raised in Plano, Texas and now resides in Katy, Texas with his wife Kris. Not only does driver James Buescher consider Texas Motor Speedway his home track, but so does Turner Motorsports team owner, Steve Turner. Turner, along with his wife Sandra, live outside of Houston, only four hours from the Great American Speedway. The organization is in its third season of NASCAR competition and has already captured six wins and one pole, along with 26 top-five and 81 top-10 finishes in both Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series competition. Turner Motorsports welcomes back Koike Aronson Ransome to the #31Chevrolet for Friday’s race at Texas Motor Speedway.(Turner Motorsports PR)(6-4-2012)
- Bodine, six prior wins; momentum, heading to Texas: The most recent NASCAR Camping World Truck Series winner is two-time champion Todd Bodine. The Onion captured his first win at Dover Motor Speedway last weekend, gaining three positions in the Truck Series drivers point standings, moving into the sixth place. What better momentum to have, heading into Texas Motor Speedway where the driver has six wins, one pole (2007), 10 top-five and 10 top-10 finishes. In addition to 329 laps led and an average finish of 8.5 in 15 starts at the 1.5-mile track. Last week’s win at Dover was Bodine’s 22nd series win. The win marks Bodine’s first victory and fourth top-10 finish in 2012 and his first win in 37 Truck Series races. The veteran is looking to claim back-to-back victories and add a seventh cowboy hat to his collection.(Red Horse Racing PR)(6-4-2012)
- Miller enters Texas race with NTS: Brandon Miller will be returning to the Camping World Truck Series driving the NTS Motorsports #14 for the Winstar World Casino 400 June 8th at Texas Motor Speedway. Miller, driving coach for Brennan Newberry, will take the wheel this weekend as Brennan focuses on the Michigan ARCA race June 15th. NTS is hoping to secure additional sponsorship to enable Miller to run more races in 2012. [Miller’s most recent NASCAR race history was in 2007 when he ran one Nationwide event and five Camping World Truck Series races.] (NTS Motorsports PR)(6-4-2012)
- Monday Rundown — Racing Resources:
*Todd Bodine won the Lucas Oil 200 Friday at Dover International Speedway. The race was shortened due to rain (147 of 200 laps).
*Bodine won his 22nd career Truck race in his 196th start. He’d last won at Kentucky in September 2010, a 37-race winless skid. It was his first Dover win in his eighth start there.
*Bodine became the sixth different winner in 2012. He recovered from a spin while running 10th on Lap 68. He was 12th at the Lap 120 red flag.
*Red Horse Racing posted its seventh win overall and second victory of 2012. It was RHR’s first win at Dover.
*Toyota posted its fifth win at Dover and second victory of 2012.
*Parker Kligerman (second) tied his career-best finish for the third time.
*Kevin Harvick (third) led 96 laps.
*Nelson Piquet Jr. (fourth) tied his best finish this season and best at Dover.
*Cale Gale (fifth) had his career-best finish.
*Ty Dillon (sixth) has finished in the top 10 in the past eight races.
*Timothy Peters (ninth) has top-10 finishes in all six races this season.
*Justin Lofton (10th) has finished in the top 10 in all six races this season. He leads the points by one.(ESPN.com)(6-4-2012)
Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors Archives
[Listed by Month]
the Jayski site is housed at:
Born On Date: January 1, 2012
This page designed by Jayski LLC, 1996-2016© All Rights Reserved.
Jayski’s® is a registered trademark of Jayski, LLC
Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form without permission or credit.