NASCAR Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors
- Ideal Door onboard with Crafton for eight: Matt Crafton is one of three drivers entered who has competed in all nine previous NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races at Nashville Superspeedway [Rick Crawford & Dennis Setzer are the other two]. Ideal Door will make its first of eight 2010 season appearances on the hood of the ThorSport Racing #88 Menards Chevrolet. Since 1963, Ideal Door has been an industry leader in sectional garage doors and the preferred choice of home owners, architects and builders for their current and future door needs.(ThorSport Racing PR)(3-31-2010)
- Martinsville images added: #2-Kevin Harvick, Kroger/Tide Chevy; #33-Ron Hornaday Jr., Longhorn Chevy; #60-Narain Karthikeyan, Safe Auto Insurance/Wyler.com Toyota; #52-Ken Schrader, Federated Auto Parts Chevy; #48-Hermie Sadler, Hermie & Elliott Sadler Foundation Chevy; #21-Chris Eggleston, H20 Fire Protection Chevy; #07-Tony Jackson Jr. ASI Chevy; #6-DJ Kennington, Northern Provincial Pipelines Chevy. Check them out on the 2010 Truck Series Paint Scheme Pages.(3-31-2010)
- In Country Television on board with Sauter: UPDATE image added: Johnny Sauter will carry new colors this weekend as In Country Television is sponsoring the No. 13 Chevrolet this weekend. ICTV specializes in hunting, fishing, motorsports, equine, and other outdoor programming and is available to 33 million Dish Network (Channel 230) and DirecTV (Channel 344) subscribers. ICTV content is available via live streaming on InCountryTelevision.com. Curb Records’ recording artists Bomshel and their newest album “Fight Like a Girl” will also be on the bed cover. Try13.com is also back in the associate sponsor position on the lower rear quarter panels. Sauter has one previous NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start resulted in a sixth-place finish in August, 2009. (ThorSport Racing PR)(3-31-2010)
UPDATE: Rendering of the #13-In Country Television Chevy is posted on the #13 Paint Schemes Page.(3-31-2010)
- White to sport Sam Bass designed scheme at Nashville: A dark cloud loomed over Jason White last week at the Martinsville Speedway so to lighten things up, White and the SS Green Light Racing team have a bright new paint scheme to celebrate racing under the lights at the Nashville Superspeedway on Friday, April 2nd. Motorsports artist Sam Bass has a longstanding relationship with the Nashville Superspeedway and Bass designs and hand-paints the Gibson Guitars given to the winners at the track. So this week, White turned to Bass to design a special paint scheme to run at the mile and a third concrete racetrack just south of the Music City. “The truck looks fantastic, it looks like it’s going 160 miles an hour sitting in the shop,” an exuberant White explained. “We wanted to do something special for GunBroker.com this weekend under the lights. It’s just cool!”(SS Green Light Racing PR)(3-31-2010)
- Lia back with SS Green Light this weekend: Donny Lia returns to the SS Green Light Racing #07 this Friday night at the Nashville Superspeedway. The Nashville 200 will be the third start of the NCWTS season for the 2007 and 2009 Whelen Modified Series Champion. Lia has one previous NCWTS start at the concrete 1.33-mile speedway, finishing on the lead lap in sixteenth place back in 2008. The Nashville 200 will be Donny’s 27th career NCWTS start.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(3-31-2010)
- Bainey returns to Fast Track Racing: Tim Bainey Jr. returns with the #48 La Famiglia DelGrosso Chevy for Nashville Speedway this weekend. Bainey Jr. will make his 2nd start for Andy Hillenburg’s Fast Track Racing Team in the “NASHVILLE 200” Friday Night at 8pm/et- televised live on SPEED Channel.(Tim Bainey PR)(3-31-2010)
- Eggleston returns at Nashville: Chris Eggleston turned a few heads at the Martinsville Speedway last week in his NASCAR Camping World Truck Series debut narrowly missing a top-ten coming home in eleventh place. This week the young driver hopes to make some more noise for the SS Green Light team as he makes his second truck series start at the Nashville Superspeedway on Friday night. Veteran Butch Miller will again call the shots for Eggleston this weekend at Nashville. H2O Fire Protection will back Eggleston’s efforts in the NCWTS at Nashville and Kansas Speedway next month. Chris’ 2010 schedule could be expanded if additional sponsorship can be secured. “I think we proved last week at Martinsville that we can run in the truck series,” Eggleston said. “If we can find some additional partners we can expand our program with SS Green Light Racing in 2010.” . The race will be shown live on SPEED TV at 7:00 pm and will also be broadcast live on MRN Radio.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(3-31-2010)
- Keselowski making 2010 debut at Nashville: Brad Keselowski will make his 2010 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series debut this weekend behind the wheel of the #29 Brad Keselowski Racing Dodge Ram, the first entry of the season for the driver-owned team. Currently, Keselowski plans are to enter three more races before the end of 2010.(Penske Racing PR)(3-30-2010)
- Buescher doubles up at Nashville: Stringer Motorsports is pleased to announce that Plano, Texas-native, James Buescher, will pilot the #90 Toyota Tundra in the April 2nd NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) race at Nashville Superspeedway. Buescher is running a limited schedule in the series for Turner Motorsports in addition to competing for the Rookie of the Year honors in the NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) for Phoenix Racing. Trip Bruce is crew chief for the #90 Stringer Motorsports team.(Stringer Motorsports PR)(3-30-2010)
- Raybestos Rookie News & Notes – Nashville: Austin Dillon was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in the March 27 Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway. Dillon scored a 16th-place finish and took top rookie honors for the second time this season. Dillon leads Brett Butler by three points (32-29) in the Raybestos Rookie standings entering the April 2 Nashville 200 at Nashville Superspeedway. Dillon is ninth in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series championship standings, best of any Raybestos Rookie. He trails eighth-place Tayler Malsam by 23 points and has a one-point edge over 10th-place David Starr. Carl Edwards is the only Raybestos Rookie to win in nine NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races at Nashville. Edwards won the 2003 race by 1.209 seconds over Ted Musgrave in 2003. He is also the only Raybestos Rookie to lead the most laps at Nashville, holding the top spot twice for 76 of 150 laps. This is the first spring race for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series at Nashville Superspeedway.(Raybestos PR)(3-30-2010)
- Busch, Dollar General team up at Nashville UPDATE Image added: Dollar General, the nation’s largest small-box retailer, will sponsor Kyle Busch’s #18 Kyle Busch Motorsports Toyota Tundra in Friday night’s 200-mile NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Nashville Superspeedway in Lebanon, Tenn. The one-race sponsorship will give Dollar General a solid presence at Nashville as they also sponsor Braun Racing full-time in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. The 200-mile race at Nashville will be the fourth for Busch as driver/owner for Kyle Busch Motorsports. . He and Brian Ickler split time in the #18 Toyota Tundra, while 21-year old Tayler Malsam drives the #56 Toyota Tundra full-time for KBM.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(3-30-2010)
UPDATE: Image of the #18- Dollar General Toyota to be driven by Kyle Busch at Nashville Superspeedway is posted on the #18 Paint Schemes Page.(3-30-2010)
- Carmichael makes first start at Nashville: Friday night’s running of the Nashville 200 at Nashville Superspeedway will mark Ricky Carmichael’s first start at the track. Last week at Martinsville Speedway Carmichael scored his second top-10 of the season with a 10th place finish. Three weeks ago at Atlanta Motor Speedway he scored his career best Truck Series finish by crossing the finish line in sixth place. It was a much needed confidence booster for the team after a mid-race crash ended the race for the #4 Monster Energy Team at Daytona in February.(Turner Motorsports PR)(3-30-2010)
- RMHC of Nashville children named Grand Marshals at Nashville: On April 1, MAKE Motorsports’ driver GR Smith will make an appearance at the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Nashville House on Fairfax Avenue to spend time with the families and sign autographs. Smith will drive the #50 Ronald McDonald House Charities of Nashville Dodge on April 2 at the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Eight RMHC of Nashville children have been chosen as grand marshals for the Truck Series and will have the supreme honor of announcing the most famous words in NASCAR, “Drivers, start your engines!”(MAKE Motorsports PR)(3-30-2010)
- Harvick making first Truck stop at Nashville; looking for fifth consecutive win: After taking the #2 Kroger/Tide Chevrolet to Victory Lane last weekend at Martinsville, Kevin Harvick earned his fourth consecutive win in the Truck Series races he has attempted. This weekend, Harvick will attempt a fifth consecutive win, duplicating the feat achieved by Kevin Harvick Inc. teammate Ron Hornaday in 2009. Coincidentally, Hornaday’s fifth win occurred at Nashville Superspeedway. This weekend will be Harvick’s first Truck Series start at Nashville Superspeedway. The veteran driver has made three NASCAR Nationwide Series starts at the track, earning one pole (April 2001) and one trip to Victory Lane (April 2006). Harvick has two Truck Series starts in the city of Nashville, both at the Fairgrounds Speedway. (Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(3-29-2010)
- ESPN/Racing Resources — Weekly Rundown:
*Kevin Harvick won the Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway. It was Harvick’s eighth series victory in his 103rd career start. He’s won the last four races that he has started. It was his 54th career NASCAR win, which ties him with Lee Petty for 11th all-time. Harvick has won six of his last 10 truck starts.
*Harvick led three times for a race-high 187 laps, including the final 61.
*It was the 28th career win for Kevin Harvick Inc.
*Ron Hornaday Jr. finished second after two poor races to start the season (27th at Daytona, 34th at Atlanta).
*Brian Ickler (third) tied his career-best finish (June 2009 at Michigan).
*Timothy Peters (fourth) takes over the points from Todd Bodine (30th). Peters leads the standings by 59.
*Johnny Benson (fifth) scored his second top-10 finish in his second start of 2010.
*Austin Dillon (16th) was the highest-finishing rookie of the year contender among the four in the race.
*Seven drivers made their series debut: DJ Kennington (17th), Tony Jackson Jr. (20th), Chris Eggleston (11th), Clay Greenfield (21st), Narain Karthikeyan (13th), Brian Johnson Jr. (32nd), Lance Fenton (34th).
*The top 10 consisted of five Toyotas and five Chevrolets. The highest-finishing Dodge was Clay Greenfield in 21th, the highest Ford was Rick Crawford (19th).(ESPN.com)(3-29-2010)
- Wallace returns to #15 for Nashville: Steve Wallace will make his second-career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start this weekend at Nashville Superspeedway. The Charlotte, N.C., native is returning behind the wheel of the #15 Red Top Auto Auction Toyota fielded by Billy Ballew Motorsports for the Nashville 200. Wallace finished fourth in his inaugural NCWTS start at Atlanta Motor Speedway (AMS) earlier this month, only the 25th driver to achieve a top-five finish in his debut race. Wallace will be driving the same chassis from his previous start. Wallace comes into this weekend with one pole at Nashville Superspeedway, which he scored in 2007. The #15 team achieved its second-consecutive top-five finish at Martinsville Speedway and will be looking to add to that this weekend.(Billy Ballew Motorsports PR)(3-29-2010)
- Outdoor Chanel Outfitters teams with Gunbroker.com & White: SS Green Light Racing is pleased to announce that Outdoor Channel Outfitters has agreed to join the GunBroker.com #23 team of Jason White for three upcoming races in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Outdoor Channel Outfitters will share associate sponsorship on the No. 23 truck with GunBroker.com at the NCWTS races at Nashville August 7th, Darlington August 14th, and Bristol on August 18th. The comprehensive marketing partnership will feature Jason White on a 30-minute episode of Outdoor Channel Outfitters TV show. White will travel to a Certified Outdoor Channel Outfitter to experience the same lodging, accommodations and exciting hunt that their network provides outdoor enthusiasts with everyday. Outdoor Channel Outfitters airs three times each week on the Outdoor Channel; Thursday’s at 6:30am and twice on Saturday, at 1:00am and 1:30pm eastern. To learn more about Outdoor Channel Outfitters or to find a certified outfitter for your next outdoor adventure visit OutdoorChannelOutfitters.com.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(3-26-2010)
- Billy Ballew Motorsports sponsor “taking drastic steps to avoid bankruptcy”: In early February, Bristol, Tenn.-based Graceway Pharmaceuticals LLC announced it would continue sponsoring a NASCAR racing team as part of its efforts to raise awareness of a skin condition resulting from sun exposure. Now, in the wake of deep employment cuts announced this week, the company wishes it could get out of the sponsorship contract. “If there was any way to recoup $1 [of the sponsor fees] we would,” John Bellamy, executive vice president and general counsel for Graceway, said Wednesday by phone. In federal court filings Tuesday, Graceway revealed that it will lay off 130 of its 323 employees, and that it is “taking drastic steps to avoid bankruptcy.” The company’s financial predicament will not affect its commitment to serve as the primary sponsor for the #51 NASCAR truck team, operated by Billy Ballew Motorsports and driven by Aric Almirola. “Had we been able to guess or foresee that these restructuring events would be necessary, we never would have entered into the NASCAR sponsorship or some of our other marketing contracts,” Bellamy wrote in an e-mail response to the Bristol Herald Courier. “Since these contracts are pre-paid, we want some benefit from them, and, consequently, we intend to use the NASCAR sponsorship and other binding agreements to promote our products and a new product which we expect the [Federal Drug Administration] to approve soon.” Bellamy added, “To suggest or imply in any way or form that Graceway is maintaining NASCAR or other pre-paid marketing programs in place of, or at the expense of, employees is wholly wrong. It is ludicrous to even think so.” Asked about his partnership with Graceway, Ballew said by phone Wednesday, “We have a great relationship with them. Everything’s going just wonderful.” Graceway’s declared goal in the sponsorship is to raise awareness of actinic keratosis, a condition caused by long-term exposure to the sun that can result in skin cancer if left untreated. Aldara cream is prescribed to treat the condition. Asked about Graceway’s recent layoffs, Ballew said, “I have no idea about it.”(TriCities.com)(3-25-2010)
- Driver change for the #18; Ickler in at Martinsville: Kyle Busch Motorsports owner-driver Kyle Busch, who was originally scheduled to pilot his #18 KBM Toyota Tundra in Saturday’s Kroger 250 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway, has turned the driving duties over to KBM driver Brian Ickler. In turn, Busch will take over for Ickler in the #18 Tundra next weekend (April 2) at Nashville Superspeedway in Lebanon, Tenn. Saturday’s 250-lap race around the .526-mile Martinsville Speedway oval will be the first in a KBM Tundra for the 24-year-old Ickler, who drove 11 Truck Series races for Billy Ballew Motorsports in 2009 with a pole position, two top-five and three top-10 finishes to his credit.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(3-25-2010)
- Sauter picks up Martinsville sponsor UPDATE image added: SealMaster Pavement Maintenance Products & Equipment will be the primary sponsor on the ThorSport Racing #13 Chevrolet Silverado driven by Johnny Sauter the Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway on March 27. The full line of SealMaster pavement maintenance products and equipment are recognized worldwide for quality and performance. SealMaster has 64 locations nationwide, with three existing franchises immediately available in Dallas and Houston, Texas, and Oakland, California. More information regarding the SealMaster franchise is available on www.try13.com.(ThorSport Racing PR)(3-25-2010)
UPDATE: Image of the #13-SealMaster Pavement Maintenance Products & Equipment Chevy is posted on the #13 Paint Schemes Page.(3-25-2010)
- Crawford making 325th series start UPDATE Images added: Rick Crawford will be making his 325 series start extending a Series record this weekend at Martinsville Speedway. Crawford’s impressive string of race starts began at the Walt Disney World Speedway on January 19, 1997. Crawford scored his third career Camping World Truck Series victory at Martinsville Speedway in the spring of 2004, winning from the third starting position (82 laps led). Besides a victory, Crawford also has two poles at Martinsville. He scored his fourth career Camping World Truck Series pole at Martinsville in the fall of 2005 and his sixth – and most recent – pole at Martinsville last spring. In the last seven truck series races at Martinsville, Crawford has accrued the most points of any driver (1066), more than 50 points to his nearest competitor. Circle Bar Truck Corral returns as primary sponsor of the #14 Ford this weekend at Martinsville while the team works to secure full-time sponsorship. Painted blue and black, the Circle Bar Truck Corral Ford will sport retro decals, including the Strategic Air Command emblem that adorned the truck in 2003.(Circle Bar Racing PR)(3-24-2010)
UPDATE: Images of the retro #14-Circle Bar Racing paint scheme are posted on the #14 Paint Schemes Page.(3-25-2010)
- Goodyear tire notes – Martinsville: Teams in both NASCAR series in action at Martinsville this weekend will run the same tire codes, though the Sprint Cup tires will be branded “Goodyear Eagle,” while the Camping World Truck tires will be branded “Goodyear Wrangler” . . . this is the first time NASCAR teams will run either of these two tire codes . . . the most significant change from the tire set-up run at Martinsville last year is in the right-side construction, which has been modified to be more resistant to brake heat, always a factor at Martinsville . . . the compounds on both the left- and right-side tires remain unchanged from 2009 . . . as on most NASCAR ovals one mile or less in length, teams will not run inner liners in their tires at Martinsville.[Complete tire specs are posted on the Martinsville Race Page.](Goodyear PR)(3-25-2010)
- Make Motorsports to debut at Nashville: MAKE Motorsports will make its debut in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series at Nashville Superspeedway in the April 2nd race with young driver GR Smith & a very special partner: Ronald McDonald House Charities of Nashville and its families. MAKE Motorsports plans to run a select number of 2010 races in Camping World Truck Series in the #50 Dodge – to include Nashville, Charlotte, Talladega, Kentucky & Darlington; it is their hope to then run an entire 2011 season for their rookie year. Driver GR Smith will pilot the #50 Ronald McDonald House Charities of Nashville Dodge for the Nashville race, as well as the other planned races with MAKE Motorsports entries. In addition to the Nashville race, Shelby natives Lowe & Beaver plan to partner with children’s charities in each city where they are entering NCWTS races in 2010 – providing awareness and PR efforts to organizations that need it most.(Make Motorsports PR) [Image of the #50 Ronald McDonald House Charities Dodge is posted on the #50 Paint Schemes Page.](3-24-2010)
- Maine’s Brackett to make first start at Martinsville: Dale Brackett has some lofty goals for the 2010 season, not the least of which include his NASCAR Camping World Truck Series debut at Martinsville Speedway on Saturday. The Strong, Me., driver will race in equipment purchased from Tim Bainey, Jr. Brackett made his Pro All Stars Series Super Late Model debut at New Smyrna (Fla.) Speedway in January, finishing in 12th place. He plans to contest the full five-race PASS National Championship schedule and attempt seven NCWTS events, beginning with Martinsville’s Kroger 250. Brackett, slated to drive the #06 Chevrolet, is one of nine drivers scheduled to make their NASCAR Truck debut at Martinsville.(VermontMotorsportsMagazine.com)(3-24-2010)
- ThorSport Racing’s #88 hits 300 straight: The Kroger 250 will be the 300th consecutive NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race in which the ThorSport Racing #88 Chevrolet has competed. The streak dates back to the opening race of the 1998 season at Walt Disney World Speedway in Orlando, Fla. In 16 career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts at Martinsville Speedway, Matt Crafton has scored two top-five finishes and eight top-ten finishes, including a best finish of second in the March, 2008 event. He has four consecutive top-ten finishes, including two ninth-place finishes in 2009. His average start is 17.1 and his average finish is 12.9. He has completed 3,494 of a possible 3,661 competition laps (95.4%).(ThorSport Racing PR)(3-24-2010)
- Kyle Busch’s thoughts on KBM and long-term goal:
Q-Having two races under your belt this season as a Truck Series owner, how do you see your season going so far?
A-“I’ve been happy with the way our team has come together. Rick Ren (director of competition) has done a really good job, as have the crew chiefs, Dan Stillman and Eric Phillips. We’ve built some really good trucks and everyone’s working very hard. We were competitive at Atlanta and ran second, and Tayler ran very well and finished 13th. He keeps learning and getting better and absorbing knowledge from the people around him. Toyota has been a huge asset for us. We’d like to get some sponsorship. We’ve had a lot of phone calls; a lot of people are interested. Just, unfortunately, we haven’t had things go down the way we would have liked to get some sponsorship on these trucks to make sure everything is funded for the whole season. We’re going to run the whole season, regardless.”
Q-What’s the long-term goal for Kyle Busch Motorsports?
A-“I think the long-term goal of the company is to build a successful organization in the Truck Series. From there, whether we open up into a Nationwide team or a Cup team, eventually, down the road, remains to be seen. That’s something that certainly could be a possibility. It all comes down to sponsorship. We all know how tough that is, now, in the economic times we’re in. We’re looking to try to make this into something that is prosperous and can go on for a long time.”(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(3-24-2010)
- Oliver takes wheel at Martinsville for DRM: UPDATE Driver change, Harmon at Martinsville: BevCo through it’s Koma Unwind “Chillaxation Drink” is proud to announce that Dillon Oliver will be back behind the wheel of the Daisy Ramirez Motorsports NASCAR Camping world Truck [#01-Chevy] at this week’s Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia. Dillon who will make his second start at the famed half-mile race track in Virginia is excited to get back behind the wheel of the KOMA UNWIND “Chillaxation Drink” truck and we are very excited to have him,” said Brian Weber BeBevCo CEO.(Ramirez Motorsports PR)(3-22-2010)
UPDATE: DRM sources have confirmed that Mike Harmon will drive the #01 truck at Martinsville, with Oliver making his first start at Nashville. [Also hearing that it will be a Mike Harmon owned truck utilizing the #01 number].(3-24-2010)
- Bodine to sport new paint scheme UPDATE 3D Image added: Germain Racing will unveil a fresh new paint scheme on the #30 Germain.com Tundra at Martinsville Speedway for Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Kroger 250. The paint scheme is part of a kick-off for a key sales season for Germain Motor Company, a Top-25 ranked automotive retail network according to Automotive News. The scheme also represents Germain Racing’s continued search for a primary sponsor for the #30 Tundra driven by 2006 Truck Series champion Todd Bodine. Bodine and the #30 Germain.com Tundra have combined for 17 wins, five pole awards and the series title since joining the Truck Series in 2004. The #30 Tundra has more wins than any other Tundra.(Germain Racing PR) [Schematic of the #30 Germain.com Toyota is posted on the #30 Paint Schemes Page.(-3-22-2010)
UPDATE: 3D image of the new paint scheme for the #30 Germain.com Toyota has been added to the #30 Paint Schemes Page.](-3-24-2010)
- Dillon makes first stop at Martinsville: Austin Dillon has four previous NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts but this weekend marks his first appearance at the .526-mile Martinsville short track in the #3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet Silverado. In his four career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts, Dillon has never started outside of the top 10. He earned his best career finish of 10th in his most recent series’ appearance at Atlanta Motor Speedway on March 6.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(3-23-2010)
- Fenton & Greenfield make series debut with TGR: Rookies Lance Fenton and Clay Greenfield will make their NASCAR Camping World Truck Series debuts this week at Martinsville. Fenton, from Tyler, Texas, will be driving the #95 Dodge Ram. Greenfield, from Clarksville, TN, will drive the #46 for Team Gill Racing. Dennis Setzer is due to return at Nashville in the #46 on April 2nd.(Team Gill Racing PR)(3-23-2010)
- Peters picks up sponsor at home track: There is no other track on the Camping World Truck Series schedule where Timothy Peters has more experience than Martinsville Speedway. The Kroger 250 will mark Peters’ ninth start on the .526-mile oval. Strutmasters.com adorned the hood last fall when Peters took the #17 to Victory Lane at Martinsville Speedway and they are back on board for the Kroger 250 this weekend. Strutmasters provides consumers an affordable alternative to expensive and problematic air ride suspension systems found on luxury vehicles. Heading into Martinsville, Peters sits second in the Camping World Truck Series point standings.(Red Horse Racing PR)(3-23-2010)
- White third in points heading to home state: Jason White and the SS Green Light Racing team had very high expectations coming into the 2010 season, White and the GunBroker.com #23 team merged with the SS Green Light Racing team to take advantage of the combined resources of the two teams. After finishing fourth at Daytona and eleventh at Atlanta, the team’s goal of a top-five finish in the points looks to have merit; the Virginia native sits third in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series standings as the trucks head back to White’s home state of Virginia for the Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway. “I’m excited about the start we’ve had this year, I won’t be satisfied with a good run and another top-fifteen finish at Martinsville,” he added. “Right now it’s all about momentum and carrying forward what we have done to start the year and to keep this team at the top of the point standings.”(SS Green Light Racing PR)(3-23-2010)
- Eggleston to make NASCAR debut at Martinsville: 2009 ASA Late Model North Division Series Champion Chris Eggleston will make his NASCAR racing debut this weekend in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Kroger 250 at the Martinsville Speedway. Eggleston will be behind the wheel of the H2O Fire Protection #21 Chevy Silverado while veteran Butch Miller will guide the Colorado native from atop the SS Green Light Racing pit box. H2O Fire Protection will back Eggleston’s initial efforts in the NCWTS. Following his debut at Martinsville, plans are for Chris to run at the concrete mile and a quarter at Nashville and then race close to his Colorado home at Kansas Speedway pending NASCAR approvals. Eggleston’s 2010 schedule could be expanded if additional sponsorship can be secured.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(3-23-2010)
- Lofton makes first trip to Martinsville: This week will mark Lofton’s first race on the .526-mile paperclip-shaped Martinsville Speedway, Lofton is a proven, successful short track racer. Of his six race wins last season within the ARCA Racing Series, three were on short tracks. Lofton took the checkered flag at Toledo Speedway, Salem Speedway, and Berlin Raceway. All three tracks measure approximately a half-mile in length. Last week Lofton tested at the .416-mile Motor Mile Speedway in preparation for this weekend’s running of the Kroger 250 at Martinsville. “It went very well. I was very pleased,” [Mark] Rette said of the test. “The truck was good right off of the truck. We played with a few different things and ended up right back where we were. I believe between us and Timothy (Peters, teammate), we were one of the best trucks there.”(Justin Lofton/RHR PR)(3-23-2010)
- Hornaday going back to “lucky shoes” for Martinsville: From Ron Hornaday’s Diary: Winning is great but what most people do not think about is the flip side of that: wrecking. Recently, I have been experiencing that more than I would like with my wrecks at Daytona and Atlanta to start the 2010 season and accidents definitely take a toll on the body. I commented after Atlanta that losing that tire and hitting the wall really hurt, but the fact that I continue to walk away unharmed after these impacts just speaks to NASCAR and all their safety innovations. I have had my share of crashes but I feel safer now than I ever have. After the wreck in Atlanta, I was a little sore and pretty disappointed, but I know that in racing you have your ups and downs. I do know one thing – when I get to Martinsville I’m going back to my old trusty, and perhaps lucky, shoes. Most people don’t know but I’m pretty superstitious. When I first started driving for Dale Earnhardt back in 1995, he taught me a lot of things that I hold to this day. When I walk through one door of a building, I have to go back out that same door. I do not carry $50 bills ever nor will I shell peanuts and eat them at the race track. I’m not a huge fan of the color green, either, and I really believe in routine. During our five-race winning streak last season, I wore the same old worn-out pair of shoes that I’ve had for years, but at the end of the season I went and bought a new pair of sneakers. The new ones are staying in the closet until this streak ends. I’m going back to my old worn-out pair to drive my bus up to Martinsville.(To read complete article visit: SPEEDtv-Hornaday Diary)(3-22-2010)
- Harvick reunites with Hylton at Martinsville: Kevin Harvick comes into this weekend’s race after scoring his first career win at Atlanta Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Harvick also returns to Martinsville as the defending race winner after visiting Victory Lane for the first time at the .0526-mile oval in the Truck Series race last spring. Harvick will hit the track with retail partner Kroger Food Stores and sponsorship partner Procter & Gamble, highlighting their family of brands on the #2 Chevrolet. Tide will be featured on the orange and yellow truck’s hood and rear quarter panels, with Kroger Food Stores, Bounce, Iams, Pringles, Charmin, Bounty and Downy on the quarter panels and tonneau cover. This weekend, Harvick will be reunited with former crew chief Butch Hylton. Harvick and Hylton were first paired in 2003 in the Nationwide Series, winning three races and eight poles as driver/crew chief at Richard Childress Racing. (Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(3-22-2010)
- Jackson to make series debut at Martinsville: Lebanon, Missouri’s Tony Jackson Jr will make his debut in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Kroger 250 this Saturday at the Martinsville Speedway. Jackson will be behind the wheel of the SS Green Light Racing #07 Chevy Silverado when the green flag falls on March 27th. Jason Miller will call the shots for Jackson at the tricky half-mile track in southern Virginia. Following his debut at Martinsville, plans are for Jackson to race near his home at Kansas Speedway followed by Texas, Gateway, Chicago, Las Vegas and the high banks of Talladega pending approvals.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(3-22-2010)
- Kennington to make series debut with RWR: DJ Kennington will be making his debut in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in the #6 Northern Provincial Pipelines entry for Rick Ware Racing at Martinsville Speedway on March 27th for the running of the Kroger 250. DJ will be driving the 6 truck that Donnie Neuenberger has set in the 10th position in driver points, as Donnie begins preparing for his Nationwide Series schedule. DJK, the runner-up in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series point standings in 2009, has never finished outside the top three in points in the last five years and has seen stints of action in the NASCAR Nationwide Series dating back to 2006 with a total of 45 races.(Rick Ware Racing PR)(3-20-2010)
- Bodine, Benson headline TRD truck test at MMS: Coordinated by Toyota Racing Development (TRD), eight of the top Toyota teams on the Camping World Truck Series circuit congregated inside Motor Mile Speedway Tuesday for a daylong test session in preparation for the Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway on March 27. The TRD brain trust included NCWTS points leader Todd Bodine and past champions Johnny Benson and Mike Skinner, along with NASCAR newcomers Brian Ickler and Max Papis. Peters and the Red Horse Racing #17 team were at or near the top of the charts at MMS, with lap times ranging from 15.80 to 16.00 seconds. Benson, the 2008 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series champion, is one such veteran Peters will contend with next Saturday. Still devoid of a full-time ride in the truck series, Benson is slated to pilot the No. 15 Billy Ballew Motorsports entry at Martinsville. “Our expectations are obviously to go try and win the race, that’s why we do it. Billy’s stuff is good enough and I’ve won races there before so hopefully we can accomplish that goal,” Benson says. “I feel good about Martinsville— I’m excited about it.” Todd Bodine agrees. The No. 30 Germain Racing team had the current points leader dialed in and happy by the end of the session. “We got pretty good; the truck was awesome,” Bodine says. “We’re really pleased with the test. Even though this track is totally different from Martinsville, you learn trends. You learn what changes do what, so when you go to Martinsville you know what changes to make to fix your truck. Trends will work from one track to another, and that’s why we came here to test. “We’re gonna unload at Martinsville with the exact same setup we ran here. It’s really close, and I’m fairly confident it’s gonna be fast.”(Motor Mile Speedway PR)(3-19-2010)
- Skinner Charity Round Up raises over $150k: Two days of rain did not dampen the spirits or efforts of Volusia County residents Mike and Angie Skinner. The NASCAR former Camping World Truck Series champion was joined by wife Angie, celebrities, sponsors and fans to raise over $150,000 for local Volusia County charities. The 4th annual Toyota Skinner Round Up for Charity presented by Rue & Ziffra Personal Injury Attorneys took place March 11th and 12th at Daytona International Speedway and Spruce Creek Country Club in Daytona Beach, Fla. Among the celebrities on hand included blues superstar Stacy Mitchhart, “American Idol’s” Bo Bice, NASCAR Drivers Michael Waltrip, Ron Hornaday, Geoff Bodine, Rick Crawford, Steve Park, and Tommy Baldwin. “Daytona’s Nationwide Garage may never be the same as the “Hoe Down Bash” moved inside on Thursday night for music, dancing, and a Taste of Daytona” says Skinner. “I didn’t know Hornaday had that much rhythm on the dance floor. In all seriousness, it was incredible how the community joined together with the celebrities for a great night and give back to this wonderful area.” (Mike Skinner PR)(3-18-2010)
- Wyler Racing switches manufacturer: Wyler Racing announced today that the team has switched manufacturers and will begin fielding Chevrolet Silverado race trucks in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series beginning with next weekend’s Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway. The decision to switch manufacturers did not come easy for the team, who has experienced much success as a Toyota team including three wins, 20 top-five, 45 top-10s and four pole positions since joining the series in 2005. “Toyota has been an incredible partner of our race team for the last few years,” said Stacy Compton, who has driven the #60 SafeAuto Tundra for Wyler Racing in the last 27 events. “I can’t thank them enough for their support through the years. They are truly committed to NASCAR and were a huge part of our team’s growth over the years.” By switching to Chevrolet, Wyler Racing will be racing with the brand that has the most wins in NASCAR history. “We look forward to being involved with a manufacturer that has such a strong history in NASCAR,” Compton said.(Wyler Racing PR)(3-17-2010)
- RBR to debut with Setzer at Martinsville: RBR Motorsports announced today that the racing team will make its NASCAR Camping World Truck Series debut at Martinsville, VA, with veteran driver, Dennis Setzer, behind the wheel; crew chief will be Michael Hester. Setzer will pilot the #92 fleetHQ/BTS Tire & Wheel Distributors Chevrolet Silverado at the Martinsville Speedway on Saturday, March 27 in the third race of the season. Setzer made his NASCAR debut in the Busch Series in 1991. Setzer has 18 wins in the NCWTS, with his last win taking place at the Martinsville Speedway in 2008. RBR Motorsports is headquartered in Cerro Gordo, NC and has been racing since the early 1990s. “We are extremely excited to get into the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series,” said Ricky Benton, RBR Team Owner. “From our standpoint, teaming up with a veteran such as Dennis will complement our organization. RBR also brings on fleetHQ as a new marketing member for the #92 entry. fleetHQ is a business solutions provider for commercial trucking fleets and servicing tire dealers all across North America. fleetHQ provides 24-hour support, and helps fleets reduce operating cost while making it easier to do business. BTS Tire & Wheel Distributors and Black’s Tire Service will continue to serve as associate sponsors. BTS Tire & Wheel Distributors offers wholesale distribution services to tire and automotive dealers across the Southeast. Black’s Tire Service operates a total of 32 locations in the Carolinas.(RBR Motorsports PR) [Image of the #92 fleetHQ/BTS Tire & Wheel Distributors Chevrolet is posted on the #92 Paint Schemes Page.](3-17-2010)
- Crawford to address VA Forum: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series veteran Rick Crawford will participate in Thursday’s White House Fatherhood Forum along with Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki, other government officials, community leaders and military parents. The public also is being invited to attend the 4 to 7 p.m. ET event discussing the roles, responsibilities and challenges of fatherhood. The forum, being held at the John D. Fuller, Sr. Recreational/Athletic Complex, 6627 Bunce Road, Fayetteville, N.C., is part of President Obama’s National Conversation on Responsible Fatherhood. It will explore challenges affecting military and Veteran dads and their families and how community organizations, faith-based groups, government and families can come together to meet those challenges. Crawford, whose 21-year-old son Adam is a member of his Circle Bar Racing crew and an aspiring race car driver, knows first-hand the challenges of being an absent parent. “Being away from your family for an extended period of time is one of the hardest things for a father to do and I experienced that with my son Adam at the start of my racing career. My sacrifices can’t be compared to those that are serving in our military but I hope that by sharing how I was able to be an active part of my son’s childhood while being on the road and away from home can help them with the challenges they face.” Crawford and Shinseki, the event’s keynote speaker, will be available for media interviews prior to the conference at 3:30 p.m. ET. Members of the public wishing to attend the forum can register at CircleSolutions.com.(Circle Bar Racing PR)(3-17-2010)
- Hermie Sadler first 2010 start at Martinsville UPDATE Sadler Foundation onboard: During the NASCAR Live SPEEDtv broadcast, Hermie Sadler announced he would be running a few truck races in 2010 to include Martinsville, Bristol, Charlotte and possibly Homestead.(3-5-2010)
UPDATE: NASCAR on SPEED analyst Hermie Sadler will compete in the Kroger 250 on March 27 at Martinsville Speedway in Martinsville, Virginia. This will be the first of about 5 races Sadler, the 1993 Nationwide Series Rookie of the Year, plans to compete in during the 2010 season. Sadler’s #48, owned by Andy Hillenburg, will carry the colors of the Hermie and Elliott Sadler Foundation courtesy of family friends Joe and Meagan Denette. The Sadler Foundation raises funds and awareness for autism. The green flag for the Kroger 250 falls at 1:30 pm. For more information and sponsorship opportunities, visit HermieSadler.com or SadlerFoundation.org.(Fast Track Racing PR)(3-16-2010)
- Benson to run Martinsville: UPDATE 2 Confirmed; Benson/Wallace next two Red Top to sponsor: According to a post by Johnny Benson’s sister Barb on the JB Message Board, Benson will be racing at Martinsville…press release with details to be released soon.(JohnnyBenson.com)(3-12-2010)
UPDATE: Hearing that Johnny Benson will be driving the #15 for Billy Ballew Motorsports for the Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway on March 27th.(3-12-2010)
UPDATE 2: Red Top Auto Auction will continue its sponsorship of the #15 Billy Ballew Motorsports Toyota Tundra for the next two NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) events. The Cartersville, Ga.-based organization will pair with Johnny Benson for the Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway on March 27, and with Steve Wallace for Nashville 200 at Nashville Superspeedway on April 2. Red Top Auto Auctions most recently sponsored Wallace’s Billy Ballew Motorsports-fielded entry in the Atlanta 200, which Wallace finished in fourth-place. Red Top Auto Auction is a subsidiary of Auction Broadcasting Company (ABC). ABC is a full service auto auction company offering transportation, full and partial reconditioning, telemarketing, in-house restaurants, world class auctioneers and ringman, on-line bidding capability, and managers that are car people.(Billy Ballew Motorsports PR)(3-16-2010)
- Bodine, Busch, Hornaday stats but no victories at Martinsville: Ron Hornaday Jr. (#33 Longhorn Chevrolet) has accomplished just about everything at Martinsville Speedway – except win. In 15 total starts at the Virginia short track, Hornaday has five top fives and nine top 10s. He has led 231 laps. In the last six races, he has five top-10 finishes. Since the inception of Loop Data statistics in 2005 – a span of 10 races at Martinsville – Hornaday has an Average Driver Rating of 108, an Average Running Position of 8.4, a series-high 170 Fastest Laps Run and a series-high 1,926 Laps in the Top 15 (85.3%). Todd Bodine (#30 Toyota), another former champion still looking for his first Martinsville victory, could find start #13 at the track a lucky one. Bodine finished second to hometown hero Timothy Peters in last October’s event. Since 2005, Bodine holds some of the top numbers at Martinsville. In those 10 races, Bodine has a Driver Rating of 93.6, an Average Running Position of 10.8, 43 Fastest Laps Run and 1,707 Laps in the Top 15 (75.6%). Also watch for Kyle Busch (#18 Toyota), who has encountered uncharacteristic struggles at Martinsville. In six races there, Busch has three top 10s. But he also has three finishes outside the top 15. In his Martinsville career, Busch has a Driver Rating of 103.3 and an Average Running Position of 8.4.(NASCAR PR) [For more of NASCAR’s off-week News & Notes see the Martinsville Race Page](3-15-2010)
- Hackett Racing adds Johnson to lineup: Ray Hackett Racing is pleased to announce the addition of the 2009 ARCA West Series Champion Brian Johnson, Jr. to its driver lineup. Johnson Jr. will make his NASCAR debut piloting the team’s #76 Ford F-Series truck in the Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway on March 27th. Brian Johnson, Jr’s sponsor, SUPERSEAL Construction Products, is a Canadian based company that has previously sponsored him in the ARCA West Series. SUPERSEAL manufactures, markets and distributes dimpled membranes that are used for foundations, drainage and subfloors. When it comes to dimpled membranes for waterproofing or damp-proofing, the SUPERSEAL brand is the market leader throughout North America. Johnson Jr., a native of Machesney Park, Illinois won his 2009 ARCA West Championship in dominating fashion. In a total of eight races he scored 3 wins, 6 top-tens and 5 poles. Johnson Jr. will most likely run more races in 2010 with Hackett Racing, either in its #76 or #75 Truck.(Hackett Racing PR) [Schematic of the #76-SUPERSEAL Construction Ford is posted on the #76 Paint Schemes Page.(3-13-2010)
- NASCAR suspends crew members UPDATE Response from DRM: Matthew Huffstetler, a crew member for the #01 team in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, and William Keith, a crew member for the No. 38 team in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, have been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy. On March 5, both were found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 19 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2010 NASCAR rule book.(NASCAR PR)(3-9-2010)
UPDATE: ” We at Daisy Ramirez motorsports are extremly dissapointed that our Daytona. Weekend hire Mathew Huffstetler has brought this embarresment to both himself and our new team. We had not seen or heard from Mr Huffsteter since our return from Daytona and consider him no longer part of our program,” said Miss Ramirez. “We condemn the use of any illegal substances and consider it a privilege to participate in NASCAR racing,” added Daisy.(Daisy Ramirez Motorsports PR)(3-10-2010)
- Atlanta images added UPDATE more added: Added images from Atlanta for the following trucks; #2-Kevin Harvick, E-Z-GO Chevy; #18-Kyle Busch, Toyota Tundra Toyota; #51-Aric Almirola, Graceway/AKAwareness.com Toyota; #15-Steve Wallace, Red Top Collector Car Auction Toyota; #30-Todd Bodine, “The Night Train” Toyota; #90-Brad Sweet, Great Clips Toyota; #3-Austin Dillon, Bass Pro Shops Chevy; #81-David Starr, Zachry Toyota; #95-Bo-Dyn Bobsled Dodge. Check them out on the 2010 Paint Scheme Page.(3-9-2010)
UPDATE: Added the SS Green Light Racing trucks; #23-Jason White, Gunbroker.com Dodge; #07-Donny Lia, Hilton Garden Inn Chevy; #21-Butch Miller,ASI Limited Dodge. Find them via the 2010 Paint Scheme Page.(310-2010)
- Monday Rundown – Racing Resources:
*Kevin Harvick won the E-Z-GO 200 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. It was his seventh series victory in his 102nd career start. He’s won the last three races he’s started. It was his 53rd career NASCAR win across all three major series.
*Harvick led twice for a race-high 100 laps, including the final 56.
*It was Kevin Harvick Inc.’s 27th victory.
*Kyle Busch (second) failed to win for only the second time at Atlanta. He had won in four of the previous five races he competed in at Atlanta.
*Aric Almirola (third) scored his best finish at Atlanta and is now fourth in points.
*Steve Wallace (fourth) made his Truck series debut.
*Ricky Carmichael (sixth) scored a career-best finish.
*Austin Dillon (10th) scored his first career top-10 finish. He was the highest-finishing rookie of the year contender.
*Todd Bodine (fifth) took over the points lead.
*Defending series champion Ron Hornaday Jr. finished 34th, his second consecutive DNF of 2010. He is 28th in points but was fifth at this point last year.
*The top 10 consisted of five Toyotas, four Chevrolets and one Ford. The highest-finishing Dodge was Jason White in 11th.(ESPN.com)(3-8-2010)
- Almirola & Peters participate in Darlington tire test: UPDATE: test notes: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series drivers Aric Almirola and Timothy Peters along with NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers Marcos Ambrose, Clint Bowyer and Elliott Sadler will be at Darlington Raceway participating in a Goodyear tire test on Tuesday, March 9th at Noon.(Darlington Raceway PR)(3-8-2010)
UPDATE: Almirola and Peters were both excited to see the track for the first time in a Camping World Truck Series ride and both were predicting an exciting race for race fans on August 14 when the trucks return for the Too Tough To Tame 200. “This is one of the coolest tracks we go to with a ton of history. Just getting here you drive down a two lane road, most of the racetracks we go to you get off the interstate, go down a six-lane road and pull into the racetrack,” said Almirola. “This place still reminds me of Martinsville and the old school racetracks where it’s out in the middle of nowhere and you’re surrounded by a bunch of diehard NASCAR fans that come to watch the race. I think it’s awesome that the Camping World Truck Series is coming here and it’s going to put on one hell of a race, it’s going to be exciting.” “I was glad that we were able to come for Goodyear. It helps me out a lot; this is the first time I have been on the racetrack. I have been here to watch several races but I had to work my courage up to make myself get up close to the wall and get up to speed,” said Peters. “I’m looking forward to getting to come here to race. It’s going to be an exciting race for the fans, but it’s going to be a challenge for us. We always run close together week-in and week-out, it’s going to be action packed for sure.”(Darlington Raceway PR)(3-9-2010)
- NASCAR takes trucks for measurement: NASCAR took four trucks back to its research and development center in Concord, N.C., following Saturday’s NASCAR Truck Series race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The trucks will undergo detailed chassis measurements at the facility and NASCAR plans to use the data it collects when considering future rule changes. NASCAR took one truck from each manufacturer, according to NASCAR spokesman Denise Maloof. The trucks taken were the Chevrolet of race-winner Kevin Harvick (Kevin Harvick Inc.), the Toyota of Mike Skinner (Randy Moss Motorsports), the Ford of Jennifer Jo Cobb (Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing) and the Dodge of Jason White (SS Green Light Racing).(SceneDaily.com)(3-7-2010)
- Mike & Angie Skinner host Toyota Skinner Round Up: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Champion and Volusia County resident Mike Skinner will host the 4TH Annual Toyota Skinner Round Up for Charity presented by Rue & Ziffra Personal Injury Attorneys on Thursday, March 11, and Friday, March 12, at Daytona International Speedway and Spruce Creek Country Club in Daytona Beach, Fla. Among the celebrities to help raise funds to benefit Volusia County charities include “The Blues Doctor” Nashville recording star Stacy Mitchhart, “American Idol’s” Bo Bice, NASCAR Drivers Michael Waltrip, Ron Hornaday, Tommy Baldwin, Rick Crawford, and Steve Park. Also joining the action will be WSOP Poker Professional Tristan Wade. Over the last three years, celebrities and the community have joined Mike in raising over a half a million dollars for area charities. The two day event kicks off to the public on Thursday evening at 7:00 PM at the Fan Zone and Daytona 500 Club in the infield of Daytona International Speedway. For more information on the 4th Annual “Toyota Skinner Round Up” Presented By Rue & Cziffra Personal Injury Attorneys, visit Daytonalive.com or to inquire about sponsorships, contact Angie Skinner at [email protected] or call 386-763-9011.(Mike Skinner PR)(3-7-2010)
- Benson’s future still unclear: 2008 Camping World Truck Series champ Johnny Benson strolled briskly behind pit road Friday afternoon, sporting regular clothes with no emblem, looking more like a media member than a racing ace. After running well for the #95 Team Gill Racing team in Daytona, fellow veteran Geoff Bodine is behind the wheel at AMS. “There’s have been a lot of questions about the #95 and Danny Gill. Geoff was always scheduled to run here,” he said. “I’m trying to help some other teams and we’re hoping to do some other stuff.” Benson says he is not frustrated by the fact that he is a past champion of the series without a ride, because he understands that the sport is now for younger drivers – especially ones who have money. Benson was tentatively tabbed to run for KBM and says he still could, but sponsorship has failed to materialize as of yet.(Frontstretch.com)(3-6-2010)
- Hylton to KHI as crew chief for #2-truck: During the Camping World Truck Series practice session broadcast on SPEEDtv, pit reporter, Adam Alexander noted that Butch Hylton will be assuming crew chief responsibilities for the #2-Kevin Harvick Inc. Chevy following the Atlanta race. Ernie Cope will be crew chief at Atlanta.(3-5-2010)
- Images added UPDATE one more added: Schematic of the #88-Australian Gold/Menards Chevy driven by Matt Crafton is posted on the #88 Paint Schemes Page. Also added #13 etc. Easy to Install/Tim McGraw Chevy driven by Johnny Sauter is posted on the #13 Paint Schemes Page.(3-4-2010)
UPDATE: Images of the #14-Circle Bar Truck Corral Ford are posted on the #14 Paint Schemes Page.(3-4-2010)
- Race engine shop relocating to Mooresville: A High Point company that builds Toyota racing engines is moving its operations to Mooresville by year’s end, bringing a $3 million investment with 56 jobs paying an average $70,000. Triad Racing Technologies plans to occupy 40,000 square feet in two buildings on Raceway Drive in Lakeside Business Park, off Interstate 77 Exit 36. Triad supplies horsepower for teams in NASCAR’s Truck, Nationwide and Cup series and the Automobile Racing Club of America series. The move to Mooresville will bring Triad closer to its customers and help it to continue to grow in racing, co-owner Marty Gaunt said.(Charlotte Observer)(3-4-2010)
- Piquet to rejoin ESR for ARCA; select Truck events, announcement soon: Nelson Piquet is delighted to confirm that he will rejoin Eddie Sharp Racing for several forthcoming ARCA Racing Series events. This is a continuation of the relationship that began when Nelson competed in the 2010 ARCA opener at Daytona, qualifying on his debut in an impressive seventh place, which he then followed up with a sixth place finish in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series a week later. Nelson can confirm that he will compete in the Rattlesnake 150 at Texas Motor Speedway on 16 April, the Racing for Wildlife 200 at Michigan International Speedway on 11 June and the Pennsylvania ARCA 125 on 31 July at Pocono Raceway. The 24-year-old will also be competing in selected NASCAR Camping World Truck Series events, details of which will be announced soon. (NelsonPiquet.com) [Past news on Piquet is posted on the February Archives Page.](3-4-2010)
- Goodyear Tire Notes – Atlanta: Teams in both NASCAR series in action at Atlanta this weekend will run the same tire codes, though the Sprint Cup tires will be branded “Goodyear Eagle,” while the Camping World Truck tires will be branded “Goodyear Wrangler” . . . this is a brand new combination of left- and right-side tires, coming out of a Goodyear test at Atlanta this past January 12-13 . . . teams and drivers participating in that test were the No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet with Mark Martin, No. 56 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota with Martin Truex Jr., No. 77 Penske Racing Dodge with Sam Hornish and No. 99 Roush-Fenway Racing Ford with Carl Edwards . . . compared to the tire set-up run at Atlanta last fall, both these left- and right-side tires have undergone construction changes to help give cars more grip . . . while this year’s left-side compound remains unchanged, this right-side compound is slightly more tractive, also to provide more grip . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Atlanta . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Atlanta Race Page.](3-4-2010)
- Crawford sponsorship close: UPDATE 2 Crawford to Atlanta with Circle Bar: During his weekly interview on Sirius NASCAR Radio’s The Morning Drive yesterday, Rick Crawford stated that they had entered the #14 truck at Atlanta Motor Speedway but the team was still waiting on the green light from Mr. Mitchell before making a commitment to run Atlanta. He also said that they were pretty close to a sponsorship deal for the entire season, but nothing has not been finalized yet.(3-3-2010)
UPDATE: A team representative tells us that Crawford will be at Atlanta with Circle Bar on board as sponsor, and that the #14 Ford will sport a red white and blue paint scheme.(3-3-2010)
UPDATE 2: Circle Bar Truck Corral returns as primary sponsor of the #14 Ford this weekend at AMS. Painted Torch Red, the Circle Bar Truck Corral Ford will proudly display the American flag on the rear quarter panels, reminiscent of the scheme that Crawford drove to victory at Daytona in 2003. This weekend marks the 325th consecutive truck series start for Circle Bar Racing, the most of any active team in the series. Crawford will celebrate his 325th career truck series start next race at Martinsville Speedway.(Circle Bar Racing PR)(3-3-2010)
- Long to make NASCAR return with Ramirez Motorsports in Atlanta: Daisy Ramirez Motorsports has announced today that experienced NASCAR driver Carl Long will be behind the wheel of the DRM #01 Koma Unwind “Chillaxation Drink™” Chevy for this weekend’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event in Atlanta. With 45 starts in the 3 premier NASCAR series, Carl Long will be making his return to NASCAR after a highly publicized suspension from the NASCAR ranks. Long, who has been racing for 26 years will be shouldering the task of keeping the DRM truck in the points battle that will ensure a starting spot after the 4th race of the year. With a 10th and 14th place finish for the DRM trucks in Daytona the season started off in the right direction. Carl and the team are still seeking additional marketing partners.(Daisy Ramirez Motorsports PR)(3-3-2010)
- Todd Bodine to honor “The Night Train” Olympic victory in Atlanta: UPDATE Image added: Truck Series driver and 2006 champion Todd Bodine can’t wait for the race weekend to begin at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Bodine, of Chemung, NY, will race against his brother Geoff Bodine for the first time in nearly six years. And, the two brothers will be grinning from ear-to-ear as Todd Bodine steers his #30 The Night Train Tundra around the Hampton, Ga., mile and a half race track paying tribute to the gold medal success of the US Bobsled team in the 2010 Winter Olympics. “The Night Train” is the name of the bobsled the US team raced to win the gold medal in the Winter Olympics 2010. In addition to the gold medal won by the US Bobsled team, it’s impossible to mention Todd Bodine and Atlanta Motor Speedway and not think of victory lane. Bodine is tied for the most Truck Series top-fives and most top-tens at the track. He’s finished all but three laps in nine NCWTS races and he’s led laps in 11 races spanning each of NASCAR’s three premier divisions including 5 truck races.(Germain Racing PR)(3-2-2010)
UPDATE: With Bodine’s Germain Racing team facing a week with no sponsorship and the prospects of running an all-white truck in the E-Z-Go 200 at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Johnson’s company, The Decal Source (TDS), stepped up to the plate and, with help from Bodine, designed a tribute of sorts to Team Holcomb and their “Night Train” four-man bobsled, who won the USA’s first four-man bobsled gold medal since 1948 at the Vancouver Olympics. Johnson and the TDS staff donated the design time and decals for the truck, their way of helping Germain Racing and Todd Bodine get the project from a simple idea to the final product stage. Schematic of the #30 “The Night Train” Toyota being driven by Todd Bodine to honor the Olympic U.S. Bobsled team is posted on the #30 Paint Schemes Page.(3-3-2010)
- Australian Gold returns to sponsor Crafton: Australian Gold will be on the hood of the #88 Menards Chevy driven by Matt Crafton for the first time in 2010 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Australian Gold will also ride along with Crafton and the #88 team at Martinsville in March, Las Vegas in September and Phoenix in November. For over 20 years, Australian Gold brand tanning lotions have produced superior bronzing power, advanced skin care, and unbeatable results. The Accelerator lotion continues to be the number one seller in the industry, and new technologies such as the DermaDark blend keep Australian Gold in the forefront of the industry as the most recognized brand in indoor tanning. For more information, log onto AustralianGold.com. Matt Crafton has ten previous starts at Atlanta Motor Speedway, collecting three top-five finishes and five top-ten finishes. His best finish is third, coming in the March race in 2007.(ThorSport Racing PR)(3-3-2010)
- RCR & Dillon to make first Atlanta start: The E-Z-GO 200 will be the first NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Atlanta Motor Speedway for RCR. RCR shuttered its original Truck Series program at the conclusion of the 1999 season and the series first ran at AMS in 2004. Austin Dillon will pilot the #3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet Silverado from Richard Childress Racing’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series stable. Built new in 2010, this Chevrolet Silverado will be put through its first paces this weekend.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(3-2-2010)
- Sponsors return for 2nd race with Sauter & ThorSport: For the second consecutive race, ThorSport Racing will partner with Easy Transitional Cabinetry’s etc. brand cabinets and Southern Candle, Inc. Both companies will be featuring their websites, EasytoInstall.com and southerncandle.com. ETC will be on the hood and quarter panels of the #13 Chevrolet, while SouthernCandle.com will be displayed on the tailgate. Curb Records recording artist Tim McGraw and his new album Southern Voice, as well as 94.9 “The Bull,” will be displayed on the bed cover. Johnny will be racing the same truck he drove to victory at Las Vegas in September, 2009 and used to score three other top-five finishes over the final third of the 2009 season. It is the first time Sauter has raced this chassis in 2010.(ThorSport Racing PR)(3-2-2010)
- Geoff Bodine in the #95 at Atlanta: UPDATE: 3 Image added: Hearing that Geoff Bodine is going to be the driver for the #95 Team Gill Racing truck for owners Lance Fenton and Danny Gill at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Saturday, March 6th.(Jayski.com)(2-15-2010)
UPDATE: Team Gill Racing has announced that Geoff Bodine will be driving its #95 Dodge Ram at the Camping World Truck Series event on March 6th in Atlanta. Bodine will return to Atlanta Motor Speedway where his name remains in the record books. Bodine’s speed of 197.478 mph during the NASACAR Sprint Cup qualifying in November of 1997 is the fastest one-lap speed ever recorded at Atlanta Motor Speedway. While Team Gill Racing continues searching for a full season sponsor, they plan to add a salute to the U.S.A. Olympic Bobsled team on the #95 Dodge Ram for their efforts at the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver. Bodine will be joined by Dennis Setzer in the #46 Dodge Ram for Team Gill Racing in Atlanta. Setzer is coming off a third place finish at Daytona.(Team Gill Racing PR)(2-24-2010)
UPDATE 2: In a nod to the U.S. Olympic bobsled medalists and his pastime, NASCAR veteran Geoffrey Bodine will compete in the E-Z-GO 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Atlanta Motor Speedway in the #95 Bo-Dyn Bobsled paint scheme featuring the U.S. Olympic bobsled medalists, including Douglasville, Georgia’s Elana Meyers who won a bronze medal. A Bo-Dyn Bobsled will be on display in front of the Fan Stage in the Display Lot and the vehicle will arrive at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Wednesday, March 3.(Atlanta Motor Speedway PR)(3-2-2010)
UPDATE 3: Schematic for the #95-Bo-Dyn Bobsled Dodge being driven by Geoff Bodine at AMS is posted on the #95 Paint Schemes Page.(3-2-2010)
- K&N returns as sponsor for Peters at Atlanta: Timothy Peters heads into the Atlanta race weekend as the Camping World Truck Series points leader. K&N will serve as the primary sponsor of the #17 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. K&N picked up their first win with Red Horse Racing at Daytona. K&N Engineering is the inventor and leading innovator of reusable cotton gauze filter technology for automotive applications. The Crescent Tools logo will adorn the #17 Toyota Tundra as an associate sponsor for the entire 2010 season. The Crescent brand product line now consists not only of adjustable wrenches, but also a wide selection of other tools.(Red Horse Racing PR)(3-2-2010)
- E-Z-GO & AMS to present E-Z-GO 200: E-Z-GO, a Textron Inc. is partnering with Atlanta Motor Speedway and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series to present the E-Z-GO 200 on Saturday, March 6. The 130-lap event will be the second race of the 2010 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season. E-Z-GO seized the opportunity to present the race as part of an ongoing effort to extend consumer awareness of the company’s line of personal-utility vehicles. In addition to its business-to-business marketing of fleet golf cars, turf-maintenance vehicles and personnel carriers to the golf and resort industries, E-Z-GO also markets vehicles to consumers via the industry’s largest network of dealers and distributors, with more than 600 dealer locations nationwide. The race will be E-Z-GO’s second title sponsorship of a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event at Atlanta Motor Speedway. E-Z-GO sponsored the fall Truck Series race, also called the E-Z-GO 200, on Oct. 25, 2008.(MarketWatch.com)(3-2-2010)
- Raybestos Rookie News & Notes – Atlanta 200: Brett Butler was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in the NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona International Speedway. Butler posted an 11th-place finish, his best in five NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races starts. He also led for the first time in his career, holding the top spot once for one lap. Butler has completed 873 of 887 total possible laps in those five starts. Butler leads Justin Lofton by one point (11-10) in the Raybestos Rookie standings entering the March 6 Atlanta 200 at Atlanta (Ga.) Motor Speedway. Tayler Malsam was the top Raybestos Rookie in the 2009 Atlanta 200, claiming a 13th-place finish. The best finish by a Raybestos Rookie at Atlanta is third-place by Erik Darnell (2006 fall race) and David Reutimann (2004 spring race). Reutimann also led the event twice for eight laps. Reutimann and Robert Huffman made history in 2004 at Atlanta. Reutimann won the pole and Huffman grabbed the second starting spot, securing the first all-Raybestos Rookie front row in the history of the Camping World Truck Series.(Raybestos PR) [Complete Rookie standings are posted on the Atlanta Race Page](3-2-2010)
- Double-duty weekend for Carmichael; AMS/Daytona Supercross: Saturday’s running of the Atlanta 200 at Atlanta Motor Speedway will mark Ricky Carmichael’s [#4 Monster Energy Chevy]second start at the track. After running the Truck Series race on Saturday afternoon Carmichael will hop on airplane and fly to Daytona International Speedway for the Monster Energy Supercross Championship event. The inaugural Ricky Carmichael Daytona Amateur Supercross Championship will take place on Sunday, and is the first event to be named after the Five-Time AMA SX Champion.(Ricky Carmichael PR)(3-2-2010)
- Mike Skinner – Atlanta Fast Facts: Driver, #5 Int’l Truck/Monaco RVs Toyota Tundra:
*Skinner is the only NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver to capture three poles at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
*The NASCAR veteran holds the record for poles in the NCWTS with 50.
*Skinner is one of only two drivers to have wins in more than one of NASCAR’s top three series at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Skinner took the checkered flag in the NCWTS race in 2007 and the NNS race in 1999. [Kyle Busch is the only other driver with a win in more than one series at AMS.]
*Skinner is the only driver to have piloted a Toyota Tundra in every NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race. The two teamed up in 2004 when the manufacturer entered into the NASCAR arena.(Randy Moss Motorsports PR)(3-2-2010)
- Rookie start for Lofton at AMS, VisitPit.com back on board: Justin Lofton a beginner at Atlanta.. Though Lofton is a rookie at Atlanta Motor Speedway, he is very well versed on intermediate tracks that measure a mile and a half in length. Atlanta, a high speed 1.54-mile track, could be compared to other 1.5-mile facilities that Lofton has proven success at. Last season he notched a pole and a runner-up effort at Kentucky, and the race win at Chicagoland [ARCA Series]. VisitPit.com will grace the hood of Lofton’s #7 Toyota Tundra again this week in Atlanta. Based in Race City U.S.A., Mooresville, N.C., PIT, Performance Instruction and Training, is an award winning facility for motorsports related training, team building, and special events.(Red Horse Racing PR)(3-2-2010)
- NASCAR suspends #76 crew member UPDATE Hackett Racing response: William Hileman, a crew member for the #76 team in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, has been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy. On Feb. 25, Hileman was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 19 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2010 NASCAR rule book.(NASCAR PR)(3-1-2010)
UPDATE: The Ray Hackett Racing team was given notice by NASCAR officials that one of its volunteer crew members was found in violation of the substance abuse policy during a random test prior to the Camping World Truck Series race at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida. Ray Hackett Racing has a no tolerance policy with all crew members in regards to substance abuse and fully supports the decision by NASCAR. The crew member in question has been suspended by NASCAR and has been immediately released by the team.(Hackett Racing PR)(3-1-2010)
- ShopEZGO.com to sponsor Harvick at Atlanta UPDATE Ernie Cope as crew chief: E-Z-GO, a Textron Company, announces that its consumer-direct e-commerce site, shopezgo.com, will sponsor Kevin Harvick’s #2 Chevrolet Silverado in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Atlanta 200 race on March 6, 2010 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Shopezgo.com also will be a secondary sponsor of the #33 Chevrolet Silverado owned by Kevin Harvick Inc. and driven by NASCAR veteran Ron Hornaday throughout the 2010 Truck Series season. Hornaday is the defending Truck Series champion and is the series’ only four-time champion. Shopezgo.com is the official online source for E-Z-GO Genuine Parts and Accessories.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(3-1-2010)
UPDATE: Coming fresh off a win in the Nationwide Series race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Ernie Cope and Kevin Harvick will once again team up in an effort to score Harvick’s first Truck Series victory at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Cope already has two victories at the 1.54-mile speedway. In 2008, he and Ryan Newman went to Truck Series victory lane for Cope’s first NASCAR win as a crew chief. At the end of last year Cope and Harvick raised the trophy as they added Nationwide Series winners at Atlanta Motor Speedway to their racing resumes.(KHI PR)(3-1-2010)
- Fontaine makes first 2010 start; first time for Atlanta: Chris Fontaine and the CFI race team are preparing for their first race of the 2010 NCWTS season at Atlanta Motor Speedway on March 6. Fontaine will be driving the #84 Glenden Enterprises Chevy Silverado in his first ever race at the track. Glenden Enterprises is the supporter of the #84 at this time, and the team is seeking more sponsorship so they can run more races. The team currently plans to race at Atlanta, Nashville, Dover, Michigan, Kentucky and Homestead.(Chris Fontaine PR)(2-10-2010)
- Cobb making first Atlanta start: The Atlanta 200 will mark Jennifer Jo Cobb’s [#10 Driven Ford] first start at Atlanta Motor Speedway. “This is one of the few places that I have no on-track experience at all. I’ve at least made a few laps at most tracks, whether it was in another racing series or as an instructor at the Richard Petty Driving Experience, but never before at Atlanta. I’m really excited about my first race there. I’ve heard that it’s a very fast track. I expect it to not have the most comfortable feeling in terms of grip and I’m sure that it will take some getting used to. After what happened to us at Daytona (accident), we’re going to ease into this race, instead of trying to set the world on fire right out of the box. Our plan is to play it smart and be there at the end,” said Cobb.(Cobb Racing PR)(3-1-2010)
Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors Archive Pages
[Listed by Month]
the Jayski site is housed at:
Born On Date: January 1, 2010
This page designed by Jayski LLC, 1996-2016©. All Rights Reserved.
Jayski’s® is a registered trademark of Jayski, LLC
Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form without permission or credit.