NASCAR Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors
October 2011 Archives
- Piquet promoting Pet Tracker at third Texas start: Nelson Piquet Jr. and KHI’s #8 Qualcomm/Tagg Pet Tracker Chevrolet Silverado team will make their way to the Southwest this week with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series for the WinStar World Casino 350K at Texas Motor Speedway. The Friday night race will mark the Brazilian native’s third Truck Series start at the 1.5-mile track, where he has earned one top-10 finish in his Truck Series career. During his last trip to the track Piquet Jr. spent most of the evening running near the front of the pack, before being shuffled out of the top 10 during a green-white-checkered finish, leaving the young driver with a 13th-place finish. The #8 Qualcomm Chevrolet will promote the Tagg Pet Tracker which uses GPS and wireless technology to monitor a pet’s location and notify its owner via email and text if he or she leaves a specified area. The Tagg system was developed by Snaptracs Inc, a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-31-2011)
- OneMain onboard with Hornaday for Texas: This weekend at Texas Motor Speedway four-time NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion Ron Hornaday will be racing to capture his fourth win at the 1.5-mile quad oval. The Kevin Harvick Inc. driver swept the June and October races in 2008 and captured the victory back in June. In 17 starts at the track, the veteran has six top-five and 11 top-10 finishes in addition to the three wins and has led a total of 681 laps. With two races to go in the season, Hornaday sits third, 15 points out of the lead. OneMain Financial will be pulling double-duty this weekend at Texas Motor Speedway. In addition to the #2 OneMain Financial Chevrolet of Elliott Sadler in the NASCAR Nationwide Series event on Saturday, OneMain Financial will be on board with Hornaday in the Friday night Truck Series WinStar World Casino 350K.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-31-2011)
- Harvick returns to #2 at TMS: Kevin Harvick Inc. co-owner Kevin Harvick is back in the saddle of the #2 Hunt Brothers Pizza Chevrolet as the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series heads to the great state of Texas for the WinStar World Casino 350K. During the veteran driver’s career, he has made a total of three Truck Series starts at the 1.5-mile Fort Worth track capturing one top-five and one top-10 finish. Although Harvick has yet to visit victory lane in the Truck Series at Texas, he has collected four wins in the NASCAR Nationwide Series.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-31-2011)
- Monday Rundown – Racing Resources:
*Denny Hamlin won the Kroger 200 at Martinsville Speedway.
*It was Hamlin’s first career Truck series win in his 12th start. His previous best finish was third at Atlanta in October 2008.
*Hamlin became the seventh first-time winner at Martinsville, most of any track. He is the second first-time winner of 2011 (Michael Waltrip, Daytona).
*Hamlin became the 23rd driver to win in all three national series. He became the 70th different winner in the Truck series.
*Hamlin led twice for 68 laps.
*Kyle Busch Motorsports posted its 16th career win and eighth victory of 2011. KBM posted its first win at Martinsville.
*Toyota posted its 10th win of 2011 and seventh win overall at Martinsville.
*Ron Hornaday Jr. (second) has top-2 finishes in the past four races.
*Austin Dillon (third) extended his points lead to 11, the largest lead in the past five races.
*Johnny Sauter (fourth) had his 10th top-5 in 2011.
*Joey Coulter (fifth) tied his career-best finish for the fourth time.
*Kevin Harvick (sixth) had his worst finish this season.
*Cale Gale (seventh) posted his best career finish.
*James Buescher (10th) had his series-leading 19th top-10 this season.
*T.J. Duke III (34th) and Tyler Tanner (30th) made their series debuts.(ESPN.com)(10-31-2011)
- Ten-year-old “riding shotgun” with KBM at Texas: Kyle Busch Motorsports is thrilled to announce that 10-year-old Gabe Bridges-Aldridge from Justin, Tex., was selected the winner of the “Riding Shotgun with Kyle Busch Motorsports” essay contest for Texas Motor Speedway. Bridges-Aldridge’s name and picture will adorn the area above the passenger side window of the #18 Traxxas Tundra for the WinStar World Casino 350k NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race Friday, Nov. 4. Bridges-Aldridge and his family will have the opportunity to attend Friday’s event compliments of Texas Motor Speedway and will get the chance to meet Busch on the starting grid prior to the race. Bridges-Aldridge, a student at Clara Love Elementary School, had his essay selected as the winner among submissions from children ages 5-12 in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. “The most important thing in life is when you play your best and that’s what makes a winner,” Brides-Aldridge proclaimed in his essay. “I know even if we lose, we still win with him as our coach. He teaches us to never give up on the team or ourselves and I will never give up.”(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(10-30-2011)
- Agnew & Weddle have teamed up for 25 years; making 3rd truck attempt: Excerpt from Roanoke Times Article — The two Floyd County natives — [Jeff] Agnew, the 46-year-old driver [#70-Clarence’s Steak House Chevrolet], and [Doug] Weddle, the 42-year-old Christiansburg cop who serves as his crew chief — have been racing together since 1986. They’ve won 10 championships at the lower levels. They’re poised to capture a second USAR Pro Cup Series title again this year, leading the points standings with one race to go. They’re entered in today’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at the track 45 miles from their hometown. This is only their third event at this level of auto racing — just two tiers below the Sprint Cup Series — and they still have plenty to learn. Agnew’s team has spent the past 12 seasons in the USAR Pro Cup Series — a touring stock car circuit that races on the East Coast, including an annual stop at Motor Mile Speedway in Radford. Agnew won the July 30 event at Motor Mile, one of four victories he’s gotten this season en route to more than $40,000 in earnings. Today’s race — like the others before it — is all about learning. If things go well, the team would like to try to run 12 to 15 races in the trucks series next year.(Roanoke.com)(10-29-2011)
- Changes at RMM; Sprague returning in 2012? Sirius XM NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody has learned that a shakeup in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series garage will bring three-time series champion Jack Sprague back to the sport next season. Randy Moss Motorsports principal Randy Moss will reportedly assume full control of the team from partner David Dollar, in an effort to resuscitate the struggling operation. Multiple sources confirm that the former Minnestoa Viking, New England Patriot, Tennessee Titan and Oakland Raider wide receiver will restructure the team that bears his name, clearing the operation’s back debts in exchange for full financial and competitive control. Dollar reportedly packed up his personal belongings and trophies earlier this month and moved back to his home state of Oklahoma. Moss is believed to have financial backing from a yet-unnamed West Virginia coal mining magnate, and plans to field two Trucks in 2012 with Chris Showalter as General Manager. Showalter worked as Travis Kvapil’s crew chief at RMM earlier this season, and won the Truck Series title with him in 2003. He is the only individual to take part in every race ever run on the Camping World Truck Series. Sprague has been absent from the NASCAR garage since 2008, when he finished ninth in Truck Series championship points driving for Kevin Harvick, Inc. and Wyler Racing. His last win came in the 2007 Chevy Silverado HD 250 at Daytona International Speedway. He amassed 28 career Truck Series wins in 297 starts, along with the 1997, 1999 and 2001 series titles. He will reportedly run the 2011 season finale at Homestead Miami Speedway for Winfield Motorsports, reuniting with former crew chief Dennis Conner. Sprague and Conner teamed to win 24 Truck Series races and three championships. While not yet finalized, multiple sources say the Randy Moss Motorsports deal will be announced within the next 30 days. A spokesperson for Moss declined to comment today, saying the former NFL star is “a week or two away” from an announcement. Sprague also declined to comment.(Sirius-Speedway.com)(10-28-2011)
- Duke to make series debut at Martinsville: Rookie NASCAR driver TJ Duke will make his first appearance in the Camping World Truck Series this weekend in Martinsville, VA. Duke will pilot the #07 Toyota Tundra fielded by Bobby Dotter’s SS-Green Light Racing; in association with Duke Racing on Saturday, October 29th, 2011. Duke Racing brings THE WEBB GROUP on as the primary sponsor of the #07 truck this weekend. This is THE WEBB GROUP’s first sponsorship in the Camping World Truck Series.(Duke Racing PR)(10-28-2011)
- Gresham to team with YouTube sensation MattyB; image added: Max Gresham will enter the music video world when he teams up with YouTube sensation MattyB in his latest video — ‘BurnOut.’ Gresham, one of NASCAR’s fastest rising stars at age 18, will appear with eight-year-old MattyB in the racing themed video. The original BurnOut MattyB composition will make its world premiere on YouTube on Friday, November 18 in conjunction with Gresham competing in the Ford 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Gresham, the 2011 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion, will drive the #66 MattyB BurnOut themed truck in both the music video and the Homestead NASCAR race. Atlanta area rapper Matthew Morris — aka MattyB – has accumulated over 76 million views of his more than 40 YouTube music videos and his songs have been played worldwide on Television, Radio, Websites and Blogs. MattyB and his family will be at the Homestead NASCAR race to cheer on Gresham and the MattyB BurnOut truck.(Turn One Racing PR) [Rendering of the #66 MattyB BurnOut Chevrolet is posted on the #66 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.](10-27-2011)
- Goodyear Tire Notes — Martinsville: Teams in both NASCAR series in action at Martinsville this weekend will run the same tire codes, though the Sprint Cup tires will be branded “Goodyear Eagle,” while the Camping World Truck tires will be branded “Goodyear Wrangler” . . . this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear test at Martinsville on August 16-17 . . . teams/drivers participating in that test were the No. 2 Penske Racing Dodge with Brad Keselowski, No. 6 Roush-Fenway Racing Ford with David Ragan, No. 31 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet with Jeff Burton, No. 47 JTG-Daugherty Racing Toyota with Bobby Labonte and No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet with Dale Earnhardt Jr. . . . this is the same left-side tire code (D-4312) teams in these series ran twice at Martinsville in 2010 . . . this right-side tire code (D-4468) is the one that Sprint Cup teams ran on all four tire positions at Watkins Glen in August . . . compared to what was run at Martinsville earlier this season, these tires feature a softer compound on both the left- and right-side, which will give teams more grip and help rubber in Martinsville’s concrete corners . . . as on most NASCAR ovals one mile or less in length, teams do not run inner liners in their tires at Martinsville.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Martinsville Race page.](10-27-2011)
- Talladega Images added: Added a few images from Talladega — #2-Ron Hornaday Jr., Bad Boy Buggies Chevrolet; #7-Miguel Paludo, Stop Diabetes Toyota; #31-James Buescher, Bad Boy Mowers, Chevrolet; #17-Timothy Peters, NTB/Service Central Toyota; #18-Kyle Busch, Toyota Certified Used Vehicles Toyota; #1-Jeffrey Earnhardt, Poynt Chevrolet. To view individually, click on the link or to see all schemes, visit the 2011 Camping World Truck Series Paint Schemes page.(10-26-2011)
- Enfinger & Allgaier Motorsports headed to Martinsville: After closing out a strong 2011 year in the ARCA Series, Grant Enfinger and Allgaier Motorsports are now set for their next challenge by attempting to compete in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Kroger 200 at Martinsville Speedway Saturday afternoon. Enfinger on the heels of a 12th place finish last weekend at Talladega Superspeedway, will be making his first trip to Martinsville Speedway. Veteran racing crew chief John Monsam will call the shots on the #36 England’s Stove Works Dodge Ram. The family-owned team also welcomes England’s Stove Works as the primary marketing partner for Saturday’s short track showdown. England’s Stove Works was started in 1976 by Bob England and his son Ron in their own backyard (literally), and has been “redefining heat” for three and a half decades, offering the best in pellet stoves, multi-fuel and wood stoves. Allgaier Motorsports will unveil further plans for its NASCAR Camping World Truck Series effort in the near future.(Allgaier Motorsports PR)(10-26-2011)
- Build Your Future back with Starr: Last week’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Talladega ended in disappointment for David Starr and the SS Green Light Racing team when the engine in Starr’s Toyota expired just before the halfway point of the event. Coming from the largest track in the series to the smallest this week at Martinsville, Starr is hoping for a change of fortune as the series heads to it’s final three events of the 2011 season. For the second straight week, the Build Your Future Campaign will join Zachry on the SS Green Light Racing 381 Toyota. Initially developed by NCCER, the Build Your Future Campaign is a national education and recruitment campaign created to increase awareness of the rewarding careers available in the construction industry. In twenty previous NCWTS races at Martinsville, David has an average start of 18.0 and finish of 14.4. He has one victory, three top-fives and nine top-tens in the twenty starts. David has lead 121 laps and has completed 98.4% of the possible laps at Martinsville.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(10-26-2011)
- Matt Lofton returns for 3rd Martinsville start: Matt Lofton will attempt to make his third Camping World Truck Series start in this weekend’s Kroger 200 at Martinsville Speedway driving the #97-Strutmasters.com Toyota Tundra for Coulter Motorsports. Lofton has two previous starts at Martinsville; October, 2010 and again in April, 2011. His Coulter Motorsports team will be led by veteran crew chief and 2010 ARCA champion Jon Wolfe.(Coulter Motorsports PR)(10-26-2011)
- Gale making first trip to Martinsville; final 2011 KHI start: When the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series unloads this weekend at Martinsville Speedway, Cale Gale will make his first career start at the historic paperclip track piloting the #21 Rheem Chevrolet Silverado. While this may be Gale’s first appearance at the track, this start will mark his 10th career start in the series. Gale’s start this weekend will also mark his fourth and final Truck Series start of the 2011 season. Previously this season Gale made three truck series starts and three ARCA starts, all carrying the black and red paint scheme of Rheem. Please visit the YSC website for details on how to bid on the replica pink Rheem firesuit worn by DeLana Harvick for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Dover on October 2. The suit is autographed by Kevin and DeLana Harvick, along with the #29 race team. Bidding is open until October 31 with all proceeds benefiting the YSC and their programs supporting Breast Cancer and Breast Cancer Awareness.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-25-2011)
- Sadler to drive second entry for JDM at Martinsville: For the second time this season, Joe Denette Motorsports will field two NASCAR Camping World Truck Series entries at Martinsville Speedway. Jason White will pilot the #23 GunBroker.com Chevrolet, and Elliott Sadler is scheduled to make his second start for Joe Denette Motorsports behind the wheel of the #24 Virginia Lottery Chevrolet. Jimmie Johnson’s #48 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series pit crew will get some extra practice for the Tums Fast Relief 500 on Sunday when they go over the wall for Sadler. The five-time championship crew will pit the #24 Virginia Lottery Chevrolet in Saturday’s Kroger 200 at Martinsville Speedway.(Joe Denette Motorsports PR)(10-25-2011)
- Talladega TV Ratings second-highest this season: According to Nielsen Media Research, SPEED coverage of last Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race from Talladega Superspeedway scored a 1.12, up six-percent from last year’s equivalent Talladega race (1.06). The event peaked at a 1.35 with HH and 1,347,000 total viewers. Saturday’s race was up three-percent among M35-54 (1.09 vs. 1.06) and 26-percent among M18-49 (.59 vs. .47) over the 2010 Talladega event. It was the second-highest NCWTS race of the season on SPEED to-date, trailing only the network’s coverage of the season-opening race from Daytona International Speedway (1.49). Additionally, last weekend’s race ranks as the second highest-rated Talladega race in SPEED history (2009 race scored a 1.34). During SPEED coverage of last Saturday’s race, the network was the highest-rated basic cable network among M35-54 and the second highest-rated among M18-49. With three races remaining in the 2011 season, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series is pacing up five-percent overall versus last year at this point (.82 vs. .78).(SPEEDtv PR)(10-25-2011)
- Peters head to home track; site of 1st series win: Timothy Peters, a Danville, Virginia native will be traveling home this weekend. Peters lives approximately 15 minutes away from the entrance of Martinsville Speedway. The 31-year old Red Horse Racing driver has been watching races at the historic “paperclip” since he was a child. In 2005, Peters won the Bailey’s 300 Late Model race at Martinsville. That day he took home a grandfather clock and $25,000 prize. In 2009, only months after joining Red Horse Racing, Peters earned his first career Truck Series victory at his home track, Martinsville Speedway. Since then, Peters has compiled two more wins at Daytona International Speedway in 2010 and earlier this season at Lucas Oil Raceway. Peters will be driving the the #17 GearWrench/Strutmaster Toyota Tundra. This is the same truck that Peters drove to a win at Lucas Oil Raceway earlier this season and a fifth-place finish at Martinsville Speedway in the spring.(Red Horse Racing PR)(10-25-2011)
- Gresham returns to #66 at Martinsville: Max Gresham quickly got up to speed — and slowed just as rapidly — in his NASCAR Camping World Truck Series debut at Las Vegas Motor Speedway two weeks ago. This weekend, Gresham will take all he learned in that initial series run at Las Vegas as he and his #66-World Crow 300/Gresham & Assoc.Turn One Racing team compete in the Kroger 200 NCWTS event at Martinsville Speedway. Gresham, the 2011 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion, will get his next ‘lesson’ when he takes on Martinsville Speedway this weekend. In his only other visit to the .526-mile paperclip shaped oval, Gresham finished a disappointing 17th after bad luck struck early in the 2010 UNOH 200 NKNPSE event. Gresham hopes to have better luck this time around at Martinsville.(Turn One Racing PR)(10-25-2011)
- Buescher wins NARRA Series finale at DIS: After a solid showing in last Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event at Talladega Superspeedway, James Buescher headed south to the “World Center of Speed” for the NARRA Series finale at Daytona International Speedway. The 21-year-old started deep in the field but navigated his #33 Chevrolet Corvette to the race lead on the last lap in route to the victory. This was Buescher’s first start in a NARRA Series machine.(Turner Motorsports PR)(10-25-2011)
- Tanner makes series debut with MB at Martinsville: Tyler Tanner will make his NASCAR Camping World Truck series debut at the legendary Martinsville Speedway in the Kroger 200 on October 29th, driving the #65 MB Motorsports Ford F-150 sponsored by EF-65 Hand Cleaner. Manufactured in the USA, EF-65 is an eco-safe, biodegradable cleaner that is non-toxic and has no over-powering scent or greasy residue. 2011 has been a breakout season for Tanner, a 20 year old ASU engineering student. He has scored 7 pole’s, 3 wins and eight top 3 finishes in the late model division at Rochester, Washington’s South Sound Speedway.(MB Motorsports PR)(10-25-2011)
- Harvick in the #2 truck at Martinsville: Kevin Harvick Inc. co-owner Kevin Harvick will return to the driver’s seat of the #2 Kroger/Tide Chevrolet Silverado this weekend as the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series heads to Martinsville Speedway for the Kroger 200. The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver has won in all three of NASCAR’s top-three series at the Virginia short track, but has earned one pole (2010), two wins (2010 and 2009), six top-five and seven top-10 finishes, and has been credited with leading 233 laps in the Truck Series alone.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-24-2011)
- Hornaday returns to #33 for Martinsville; Steak-umm on board: Four-time NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion driver Ron Hornaday will make his 19th-career start at Martinsville Speedway this weekend. In 18 previous starts at the 0.526-mile track, Hornaday has collected one win (Oct. 2010), one pole (Oct. 2008), nine top-five and 12 top-10 finishes. The Kevin Harvick Inc. driver has completed 3,963 of the 4,124 laps run (96.1%) since his first race at Martinsville in 1995. The #33 KHI Chevrolet will once again partner with the Quaker Maid Meats brand Steak-umm at Martinsville Speedway. VIP on board: On October 3, Quaker Maid Meat held a drawing for all of its employees for a special prize package that included a behind the scenes weekend with KHI at Martinsville Speedway. Chastity Baker was the lucky grand prize winner. Baker, who hails from Bethel, Penn. is an avid NASCAR fan and has attended many races with her family and is excited for the race.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-24-2011)
- Rogers & RBR back at Martinsville: The #92 Ricky Benton Racing Enterprises #92 BTS Tire and Wheel Distributors/fleetHQ.com Chevrolet Silverado team with driver Clay Rogers will be heading to Martinsville Speedway for the Kroger 200 this weekend to attempt its 15th race of the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season. In the series’ first trip to the half-mile paperclip-shaped track in the spring, the #92 finished 16th after running up front most of the day, getting as high as third in the running order late in the race. The truck will be carrying the logo of Tri-City Tires from Rutherfordton, N.C. this week in addition to the BTS and fleethq.com branding.(RBR PR)(10-24-2011)
- Monday Rundown – Racing Resources:
*Mike Wallace won the Camping World Truck Series Coca-Cola 250 at Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday, his fifth career win in his 115th series race. It was his first win since March 26, 2000, 42 starts ago. Talladega was Wallace’s first truck race of the year, and he had not started a truck race since Talladega in October 2009. This was his first win at Talladega in his fifth race and his second superspeedway win (Daytona, 2000). He led eight times for 54 laps.
*Wallace’s victory was the 42nd career win for Kevin Harvick Inc., the first by Wallace. This was the team’s ninth win this season, most in the series, and the team’s first win at Talladega. Wallace is the sixth different driver to win for KHI.
*This was Chevrolet’s 13th win this season, but the maker’s first win at Talladega in the series.
*Ron Hornaday Jr. (finished second) got his 12th top-5 finish of 2011, and his second second-place finish at Talladega.
*James Buescher (third) earned his 10th top-5 finish of 2011 and gained four points on the leader Austin Dillon.
*Ricky Carmichael (fourth) tied his career-best finish and got his first top-5 of 2011.
*Jason White (fifth) earned his first top-5 finish at Talladega and tied his best finish of 2011.
*Austin Dillon (seventh) restarted 17th with two laps to go after being penalized for not maintaining caution speed while running fourth on the final caution.
*Kyle Busch (ninth) made his 100th career start.
*Johnny Sauter (15th) recovered from a mid-race accident which put him two laps down, took a wave around and free pass to get back on the lead lap.(ESPN.com)(10-24-2011)
- Piquet narrowing team choices for 2012: Kevin Harvick Inc.’s impending closure is leaving a very uncertain future for Ron Hornaday and many of the team’s employees. But Nelson Piquet Jr., driver of the KHI #8 Chevy, knows he will be in a NASCAR racecar or truck of some form next season. Piquet Jr. brought sponsors Qualcomm, Bozzano, Jontex, Autotrac, and Tagg to almost every race this year and has funding in place for a ride next season. He says that his future, right now, is up to the highest bidder. “It’s down to Turner [Motorsports], Penske [Racing], Kyle Busch [Motorsports], and Eddie Sharp [Racing],” Piquet told News/Talk WSB after the Truck race at Talladega. “Maybe a little bit less Eddie, because he doesn’t have [a] Nationwide [team] and we are planning on doing part of the Nationwide Series next year.” KBM is expanding to the Nationwide Series next season and will keep its Truck Series team intact. Penske Racing already has announced that Sam Hornish Jr. will almost certainly run full-time for them next season and does have the full-time No. 22 team that Brad Keselowski has run with most of the past two seasons. Turner Motorsports says it will run three full-time Nationwide Series teams in 2012, two of which will have a rotation of different drivers. And Turner Motorsports also plans to field at least two Truck Series teams in 2012. If Ricky Carmichael leaves Turner Motorsports or the TM decides to field an additional NCWTS, both of which are uncertain, then there would be an open spot for Piquet Jr. to run both full-time in the NCWTS and part-time in the NNS for Turner Motorsports. Piquet sits 11th in the Truck Series standings, with four top 5s, eight top 10s, but five DNFs in 22 races. He ran a partial Truck Series schedule in 2010 and came to NASCAR after a season and half in Formula 1 that produced one podium finish in 28 races.(WSBradio.com)(10-23-2011)
- Richards to run special decal to honor U.S. Navy SEALs: Josh Richards will run a special paint scheme at Martinsville Speedway on October 29 highlighting artwork done by Alexandra and Hunter Vogel of Mooresville, N.C. The children’s artwork was created to honor the U.S. Navy SEALs and warriors who lost their lives fighting terrorism in Afghanistan on August 6, 2011. The NSW Community lost 22 members on August 6. The fallen included Navy SEALs, Explosive Ordinance Disposal warriors, information systems professionals and cryptologic specialists. Along with these personnel, we also lost the Army aircrew, Air Force personnel and our Afghan partners that fight with our soldiers every day. Alexandra and Hunter Vogel, their family, guests from the Navy SEAL Foundation and the NSW community will attend the NCWTS race at Martinsville as special guests of Richards and Joy Mining Machinery. A website was created to help get the word out about the stickers and the fundraising effort. For more information go to NSWKids.com. To make a donation to the Navy SEAL Foundation, go to NavySEALFoundation.org. [Image of the #51-Joy Mining/U.S. Navy SEALs Toyota is posted on the #51 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.](Joy Racing/Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(10-22-2011)
- Kyle Busch Motorsports to run full time team in Nationwide; plus truck team: From Kyle Busch’s media availability Friday at Talladega:
Kyle Busch: “On behalf of myself and Kyle Busch Motorsports (KBM), it’s just a subtle little announcement that KBM is transitioning into the Nationwide Series next year to go race a full-funded team for the championship and I can’t announce any further details, besides that it will be a Toyota. Excited about it. It’s a great opportunity for myself and for the Kyle Busch Motorsports organization for everybody there that’s there now that we have on the line to hire to bring over in order to foresee that program being successful. We’re excited. It’s a great day for us. Crew chiefs, sponsors, drivers — all that stuff will be announced at a later time. Wanted to get it out there before Jayski, so we did it. That was good.”
Q: Will Kyle Busch Motorsports continue to compete in the Truck Series? “I did say transitioning in. We did run one race earlier this year, through help with NEMCO Motorsports, running Kimi Raikkonen at Charlotte, so we have the equipment started. We will run trucks also. We will keep the 18 truck going for a full season next year. We are just a few races shy being full sponsorship on that deal. Obviously, last week with Dollar General — announcing those guys coming back to help us with the Truck Series program and, you know, with the driver and all that kinds of stuff, it’s all pretty much done. It’s just a matter of waiting until the time in which the sponsor is ready to announce all that stuff.”
- Hamlin to drive KBM’s #18 at Martinsville: Kyle Busch Motorsports announced today that Denny Hamlin will drive the team’s #18 Tundra in the Kroger 200 at Martinsville Speedway Saturday, Oct. 29. Toyota and Traxxas, the leading manufacturer of hobby-class radio-controlled vehicles, will serve as co-primary sponsors for the 200-lap race at the .526-mile oval. Hamlin, a native of Midlothian, VA., has won four NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at his home-state track, including three of the last four, and has finished in the top-five in eight of his 12 Cup Series starts. The 30-year-old driver has posted five top-10 finishes in 11 career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts, including two top 10s in four starts at Martinsville. His career-best result behind the wheel of a truck was a third-place finish in the 2008 E-Z Go 200 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(10-21-2011)
- Enfinger enters Talladega with Bragg Racing: UPDATE additional sponsor added: Grant Enfinger is set to make his second start at Talladega Superspeedway where he made his series debut in 2010. Enfinger, currently fourth in the ARCA point standings, will be driving the #82 VisitGulf.com Ford for the Bragg Racing Group with owner George Bragg. VisitGulf.com will serve as primary sponsor. The truck will promote the beaches of Gulf County Florida. Gulf County is made up of pristine “old Florida” beaches including St. Joseph Pennisula State Park, Mexico Beach, Cape San Blas, Indian Pass, and Windmark Beach. Gulf County includes Port St. Joe and Wewahitchka. “Wewa” is home to some of the best freshwater fishing in the country. BlueRents.net is an associate sponsor, with additional announcements regarding associate sponsorship to be made later this week. [Initial rendering of the #82-VisitGulf.com Ford is posted on the #82 NCWTS Paint Schemes page.](Grant Enfinger PR)(10-12-2011)
UPDATE: The Bragg Racing Team is happy to announce that Grant’s long-time sponsor Beasley Allen is an associate sponsor of the NASCAR Camping World Truck entry for tomorrow’s 250 mile race. Grant credits the Montgomery Alabama law firm with allowing him to be established as a fixture on the national racing scene.(Grant Enfinger PR)(10-21-2011)
- Trucks testing at Rockingham on Monday: Toyota has scheduled a test for its NASCAR Camping World Truck Series teams at Rockingham Speedway Monday; the first chance Truck Series teams have had to prepare for the April 15, 2012 “Good Sam Road. The test will run from 9:00am to 5:00pm ET, and while most testing of this type is closed to the public, Rockingham Speedway President Andy Hillenburg confirmed today that he will throw open the gates and allow spectators to view the test from the frontstretch grandstands.(Sirius-Speedway.com)(10-20-2011)
- Goodyear Tire Notes — Talladega: Teams in both NASCAR series in action at Talladega this weekend will run the same tire codes, though the Sprint Cup tires will be branded “Goodyear Eagle,” while the Camping World Truck tires will be branded “Goodyear Wrangler” . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires that Sprint Cup teams ran at Talladega this past April . . . Cup and Truck teams have also run this same tire set-up at Daytona this season . . . NASCAR teams have run this left-side tire code (D-4138) at Talladega since 2009 . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Talladega . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Talladega Race page.](10-20-2011)
- Bodine sponsored by NTB/Service Central at Talladega: Todd Bodine, driving the #5 Toyota Tundra, is racing the NTB/Service Central paint scheme for the fourth time this season. Bodine leads all active truck series drivers in top-fives (4), top-10s (4) and laps led (85) at Talladega Superspeedway. In five truck series starts at Talladega , Bodine is a two-time winner with one Pole Award. In addition to his NCWTS stats, Bodine has one pole at Talladega in NASCAR Nationwide Series competition. With his fifth-place finish last weekend at Las Vegas , Bodine advanced one position to move into seventh place in the driver point standings and is now just 39 points out of the top four with four races remaining.(Germain Racing PR)(10-20-2011)
- Starr joined by BYF Campaign at Talladega: The Build Your Future Campaign will join Zachry, David Starr and the SS Green Light Racing #81 Toyota team for this Saturday’s Coca-Cola 250 Powered by fred’s at Talladega Superspeedway. Initially developed by NCCER, the Build Your Future Campaign is a national education and recruitment campaign created to increase awareness of the rewarding careers available in the construction industry. In five previous NCWTS races at Talladega, David has an average start of 16.0 and his average finish 14.0. His best finish was fifth in 2009 and he finished eleventh in the No. 81 Toyota last year. David has completed 100% of the possible laps over the five races at Talladega.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(10-20-2011)
- Amped Up Magazine onboard as associate with Greenfield: Amped Up Magazine.com based in Murfreesboro, Tenn., is joining forces with Clay Greenfield as an associate sponsor on the #68 Motion Design Group Dodge that will be raced in the 2011 Camping World Truck Series Coca-Cola 250 powered by fred’s Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011 at Talladega Super Speedway in Talladega, Ala. Greenfield, who has raced at the storied Fairgrounds Speedway USA in Nashville, has Motion Design Group as his main sponsor.(Cay Greenfield PR)(10-20-2011)
- MB Motorsports making first trip to Talladega [UPDATE: withdrawn: MB Motorsports is set to make its Talladega Superspeedway debut in the Coca-Cola 250 Powered by fred’s. The #63 SealWrap / Operation Homefront Ford F-150 will once again be driven by Jack Smith, who will be making his first start on a superspeedway. Race fans can join MB Motorsports and SealWrap in supporting cby texting HERO to 50555 to make an automatic $5 donation. Fans can also contact their local Operation Homefront chapter to donate or volunteer. SealWrap has pledged to match race fans’ donations up to $10,000.(MB Motorsports PR)(10-20-2011)
UPDATE: MB Motorsports withdraws. MB Motorsports regrets having to postpone its Talladega debut. Mechanical issues and a lack of time to address them force the team to withdraw from the Coca-Cola 250 Powered by fred’s. “It pains me to have to make the decision not to go, but you have to be a realist,” says team owner Mike Mittler. “I want to thank the folks at SealWrap and Operation Homefront for their understanding and we will proudly carry their colors at Texas Motor Speedway.”(MB Motorsports PR)(10-20-2011)
- Peters & RHR set for 2012; still looking for add’l sponsors: The lack of funding for the #17 Red Horse Racing team has been especially noticeable, as the truck has been without primary sponsorship in eight of the NCWTS’ 21 races. But as bigger teams like Kevin Harvick, Inc. and Germain Racing trim back or fall to the wayside, Peters says his 2012 plans are mostly in place. “I look forward to being back with Red Horse Racing next year,” Peter told News/Talk WSB Tuesday. “Service Central came on board with us a couple of weeks ago and for five more races this year and 10 next year. [Team owner] Tom [DeLoach] has been in this sport for quite some time and hasn’t had many sponsors. That says a lot about a man who cares about his race team and knows he has a great product here.” There still is room for funding, however, Peters says. Peters also says he thinks the #7 team and rookie Miguel Paludo are likely to remain together for 2012 as well.(WSBradio.com)(10-19-2011)
- Cooper Standard to sponsor Kligerman for final two 2011 events: Brad Keselowski Racing announced today that Cooper Standard, a leading supplier of automotive systems and components, will continue their support of the #29 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series entry, driven by Parker Kligerman, at the WinStar World Casino 350K at Texas Motor Speedway on November 4th and the Ford 200 at Homestead-Miami Speedway on November 18th. Cooper Standard, headquartered in Novi, Mich., is a leading global supplier of systems and components for the automotive industry. Products include body sealing systems, fluid handling systems and anti-vibration systems. Cooper-Standard employs more than 21,000 people globally and operates in 19 countries around the world.(Brad Keselowski Racing PR)(10-19-2011)
- Buescher to participate in NARRA finals at Daytona: James Buescher will travel to the ‘World’s Center of Racing’ on Sunday to take part in the North American Road Racing Association’s Finals Weekend with Marsh Racing. Following the NCWTS Coca-Cola 250 presented by Fred’s on Saturday afternoon at Talladega Superspeedway, Buescher will head to Daytona International Speedway to jump behind the wheel of the Whelen Engineering Corvette for the final day of the series’ championship weekend. He will take part in one practice and qualifying session before the 30-minute race on the Florida speedway’s famed road course. This will mark his first NARRA start, but Buescher is no stranger to road-course racing. The Plano, Texas-native made his NASCAR Nationwide Series road-course racing debut at Watkins Glen International in earlier this season, bringing home a solid top-20 result. Buescher and team owner, Ted Marsh, have worked together on several occasions in the past with Buescher making five starts for Marsh in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East in 2007 and 2008. In those five starts Buescher captured four top-10 finishes.(Turner Motorsports PR)(10-19-2011)
- Paludo Talladega scheme promotes diabetes awareness; image added: Miguel Paludo will make his way to Talladega Superspeedway this weekend. Paludo will make his first laps around the 2.66-mile Superspeedway this weekend, as he tries to improve on his last restrictor-plate finish of fourth in the season opener at Daytona International Speedway. Paludo has two fourth-place finishes at Daytona and Lucas Oil Raceway, but his career-best Truck Series finish came in August at Michigan International Speedway where he finished third. This weekend Paludo will carry new colors as the 28-year old driver of the #7 Toyota Tundra promotes health, wellness and the fight to find a cure for diabetes. Paludo, who suffers from Type I diabetes, continues to be an advocate for research and education for children and adults who struggle with the disease.(Red Horse Racing PR) [Rending of the #7 Stop Diabetes Toyota is posted on the #7 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.](10-18-2011)
- Johanna Long makes return; 1st trip to Talladega: Johanna Long and the #20 Panhandle Motorsports Toyota team will be back in action at Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday, October 22 for the Coca-Cola 250 powered by Fred’s. Although this will be Long’s first start at the 2.66-mile track of Talladega, she is no stranger to superspeedways. Long quickly adapted to the 2.5-mile trioval of Daytona International Speedway back in February where she qualified her No. 20 Toyota Tundra in the 5th starting position. Long and the Panhandle Motorsports team are excited to welcome Wholesale Controls International (WCI) onboard as an associate sponsor for this weekend’s race at Talladega Superspeedway. Established since 1977, the WCI company stocks parts for over 30 manufacturers of quality HVAC products. They also provide design assistance for new construction projects including CAD drawings, submittals and M & R data booklets.(Johanna Long PR)(10-18-2011)
- Rip It sponsors Coulter at Talladega: Rip It Energy Fuel, a long-time partner of Coulter Motorsports, joins RCR’s #22 team once again for this weekend’s Coca-Cola 250 Powered by fred’s at Talladega Superspeedway. Although Coulter has not competed at Talladega in the NCWTS, he has three ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards starts at the track, posting his best finish of eighth in 2009 and his best start of seventh in 2011.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(10-18-2011)
- Carmichael to feature CVS at Talladega: Turner Motorsports and Monster Energy are pleased to feature CVS Pharmacy on the lower-rear quarter panels of the #4 Chevrolet this weekend at Talladega. CVS Pharmacy is the second largest pharmacy chain in the United States, with over 7,000 stores in 41 states and Puerto Rico. As the retail pharmacy division of CVS Caremark, CVS Pharmacy sells prescription drugs and a wide assortment of general merchandise, including over-the-counter drugs, beauty products and cosmetics, film and photo finishing services, seasonal merchandise, greeting cards and convenience foods through their CVS Pharmacy and Longs Drugs retail stores and online through CVS.com. Carmichael has two NCWTS starts at Talladega Superspeedway and calls a fifth-place finish a career-best at the 2.66-mile Alabama race course. He’s earned an 11th-place starting average, a 12.5 average finish and completed 188 of the 193 total laps run (97 percent) over both races.(Turner Motorsports PR)(10-18-2011)
- ThorSport Racing to honor Wheldon: ThorSport Racing was deeply saddened at the news that the racing world lost Dan Wheldon in last weekend’s IZOD IndyCar Series race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. As a Curb Records teammate, Wheldon was a member of the ThorSport Racing family, and the entire organization will honor him with special decals on all three TSR entries [Johnny Sauter, #13 Safe Auto/Curb Records/Carrier Chevrolet; Matt Crafton, #88 Menards/CertainTeed Chevrolet; Dakoda Armstrong, #98 Ferrellgas/Agrisure/Drive For Savings Chevrolet] in addition to apparel to be worn by all of the team’s drivers and crew members.(Thorsport Racing PR)(10-18-2011)
- Richards returns to truck racing in ‘Dega: Saturday’s 250-mile NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Talladega Superspeedway will be 23-year-old Josh Richards’ seventh career start in the Truck Series. Richards made his NCWTS debut at Kentucky Speedway on July 7 with Kyle Busch Motorsports and sponsor Joy Mining Machinery. Richards’ sponsor, Joy Mining Machinery, will have a group of over 100 employees and customers present at the Talladega Paddock Club on Saturday to support Richards and the 351 Joy Mining Machinery Toyota Tundra.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(10-18-2011)
- Peters back with NTB/Service Central at Talladega: Timothy Peters will be driving the #17 NTB/Service Central Toyota Tundra at Talladega Superspeedway. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Florida, TBC Retail Group, Inc., a subsidiary of TBC Corporation, operates more than 800 tire and automotive service centers. Of note: Peters has been able to complete 100 percent of the 193 laps he has entered at the 2.66-mile Superspeedway and has an average finish of eighth. In the last ten percent of the past two races at Talladega Superspeedway Peters has gained an average of five running positions before the checkered flag falls.(Red Horse Racing PR)(10-18-2011)
- Fontaine looking toward good run at Talladega: Chris Fontaine, driving the #84 Glenden Enterprises Toyota Tundra will be making his 31st NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start at Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday, October 22nd. This will be Fontaine’s second NCWTS race at Talladega Superspeedway. In last year’s NCWTS race at Talladega, Fontaine started 6th and finished 19th. He was leading the race before running out of gas on the restart after a long caution with three laps to go.(Chris Fontaine PR)(10-18-2011)
- Neuenberger returns to RWR for Talladega: Donnie Neuenberger will be making his return to Rick Ware Racing to drive the #16 Eagle Convenience Stores Chevy Silverado at Talladega Superspeedway in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series for the Coca-Cola 250 Powered by fred’s on Saturday October 22nd. Donnie Neuenberger is an 18 year veteran racing in the NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series. His record includes top 10 and top 20 finishes in both series. Eagle Convenience Stores joins Rick Ware Racing as a primary sponsor for Donnie’s return to the truck series in the much anticipated Talladega event. Eagle Convenience Stores are an Alabama based convenience store chain located from Opelika to Talladega Superspeedway, mainly in the central Alabama area(Rick Ware Racing PR)(10-18-2011)
- Mike Wallace in the #33 at Talladega: NASCAR racing veteran Mike Wallace joins Kevin Harvick Inc. this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway behind the wheel of the #33 Anderson’s Maple Syrup Chevrolet as the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series heads to Alabama for the Coca-Cola 250 powered by fred’s. Over the course of his career, Wallace has made a total of 36 starts between NASCAR’s top-three series, at the Alabama track. Four of those starts came in the Truck Series where the St. Louis, Mo., native earned one top-five and one top-10 finish while being credited with leading a total of five laps.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-17-2011)
- Hornaday returns to #2 with Bad Boy Buggies onboard:Ron Hornaday Jr. will be making his sixth start at the Alabama Superspeedway behind the wheel of the #2 Bad Boy Buggies Chevrolet Silverado during the Coca-Cola 250 powered by fred’s this Saturday afternoon. Talladega Superspeedway is one of seven tracks on the series schedule that the veteran driver has yet to make it to victory lane. Bad Boy Buggies will return for their final Truck Series appearance of the season with the #2 KHI team. The sports utility vehicle industry leader has partnered with KHI four times thus far this season earning one victory courtesy of Clint Bowyer at Kansas Speedway. The team has collected a total of four top-five and four top-10 finishes during the season while sporting the black and camouflage paint scheme.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR) [Hornaday started during an interview on NASCAR SiriusXM Speedway that he would be working with the #2 team and crew chief Bruce Cook for all remaining races in 2011, with one twist. The team will run the 33 number at Martinsville as Kevin Harvick has made prior commitments to run the #2 truck.](10-17-2011)
- 7-Year-Old will be “Riding Shotgun with KBM” at Talladega: Kyle Busch Motorsports is thrilled to announce that 7-year-old Annabelle Lacy from Odenville, Ala., was selected the winner of the “Riding Shotgun with Kyle Busch Motorsports” essay contest for Talladega Superspeedway. Lacy’s name and picture will adorn the area above the passenger side window of the #18 Toyota Certified Used Vehicles Tundra for the Coca-Cola 250 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race Saturday, Oct. 22. Lacy and her family will have the opportunity to attend Saturday’s event compliments of Talladega Superspeedway and will get the chance to meet Busch on the starting grid prior to the race. Lacy, a home-schooled second-grader, had her essay selected as the winner among submissions from children ages 5-12 in Alabama. The contest called for children to write an essay of 150 words or less that described an experience and/or achievement that occurred within the past 12 months that affected their lives in a positive way. Her essay described how she overcame a difficult challenge through persistence.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(10-17-2011)
- Piquet making first start at Talladega: Nelson Piquet Jr. and the #8 Kevin Harvick Inc. Qualcomm/Autotrac Chevrolet team are heading to Alabama to take another shot at superspeedway racing this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway. The Saturday afternoon race will be the Brazilian native’s first start at the 2.66-mile track. When the #8 team will unload chassis No. 055 this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway. This superspeedway chassis has been utilized in competition once this season during the February Truck Series race at Daytona.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-17-2011)
- Bad Boy Mowers to sponsor Buescher at Talladega; image added: Turner Motorsports is pleased to announce the addition of Bad Boy Mowers as a marketing partner of the #31 Chevrolet Silverado. The Batesville, Ark. company will adorn the hood and sides of the #31 machine this weekend at the 2.66-mile Talladega Superspeedway. Buescher and the #31 Bad Boy Mowers Chevrolet team are involved in one of the closest point battles in series history. The Turner Motorsports team sits seven markers behind point leader Austin Dillon with four races remaining on the 2011 schedule.(Turner Motorsports PR) [Rendering of the #31 Bad Boy Mowers Chevrolet is posted on the #31 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.](10-17-2011)
- Monday Rundown – Racing Resources:
*Ron Hornaday Jr. won the Sam’s Food & Drugs 350 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
*It was Hornaday’s 51st career win in his 296th series race and his fourth victory in 2011. It was his first win at Las Vegas in his 11th start there. It was his ninth win from the pole and his 25th victory with Kevin Harvick Inc.
*Hornaday led four times for 107 laps, including the final 32.
*KHI posted its 41st career victory and eighth win in 2011, the most of all teams. It was KHI’s first win at Las Vegas.
*Chevrolet posted its 12th win this season and seventh victory overall at Las Vegas.
*Matt Crafton (second) had his fourth top-5 finish of the season and matched his best Las Vegas finish in his 11th start there.
*Timothy Peters (third) posted his seventh top-5 finish of the season, earning his best Las Vegas finish in his fourth start there.
*Johnny Sauter (fourth) suffered his worst Las Vegas finish in his third start there.
*Todd Bodine (fifth) has 10 top-10 finishes in 2011, including five in the past six races.
*Nelson Piquet Jr. (sixth) has top-10 finishes in four of the past six races.
*Norm Benning (15th) posted his career-best finish.
*Austin Dillon (17th) was involved in a Lap 2 accident while running second; he finished 15 laps down after receiving the free pass three times.
*James Buescher (21st) was involved in a Lap 47 accident while running 16th.
*Max Gresham (25th) made his series debut.(ESPN.com)(10-17-2011)
- Sheltra returns to NASCAR racing at Talladega: Patrick Sheltra will return to the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series next weekend at Talladega Superspeedway in the #09 T3R Ford F-150. T3R is owned by a combination of the Silas clan based out of Stuart, Florida. Sheltra, a native of Indiantown, Florida is looking to make his second NCWTS start since his 2007 debut at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Sheltra has competed at Talladega in the ARCA Racing Series which included a second-place finish last April in his #60 Buffalo Wings & Rings Dodge Charger and a top-20 finish which included laps led in his NASCAR Nationwide Series debut at Talladega driving for RAB Racing with Brack Maggard.(Catchfence.com) [Preliminary entry list shows Sheltra in the #99 Ford.](10-16-2011)
- Dollar General returns to KBM for ten in 2012: At a press conference today, Dollar General announced its new sponsorship agreement with Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) that includes contenders in both the Sprint Cup Series and Nationwide Series in 2012. Dollar General also announced plans to continue its Camping World Truck Series sponsorship with Kyle Busch Motorsports in 2012. In the Camping World Truck Series, Dollar General will return for 10 races with KBM. The #18 truck will be driven by Busch.(Dollar General PR)(10-13-2011)
- Goodyear Tire Notes — Las Vegas: This is the first time NASCAR Camping World Truck teams have run either of these two tire codes . . . compared to what truck teams ran at Las Vegas last season, this left-side tire code (D-4374) features a compound change to give the trucks more grip, while this right-side tire code (D-4478) features a slight construction change . . . this is the same left-side tire that NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series teams ran at Las Vegas in March . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Las Vegas . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Las Vegas Race page.](10-13-2011)
- Gaughan racing Big O Tires at hometown track; image added: Brendan Gaughan has been to victory lane at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. He’s also suffered some forgettable races in front of his hometown fans. Gaughan hopes Saturday’s race is un-forgettable for him and the No. 62 Big O Tires/South Point Tundra crew of Germain Racing. “It’s Vegas. It’s home, so of course I’m excited. We’re having the South Point bowling tournament for the crew guys again this year. It’s really about giving the crew guys a chance to have a good time,” said Gaughan of getting home, racing there, and spending some time with fellow NASCAR Camping World Truck Series crew members in a bowling tournament hosted by the South Point Hotel & Casino. We will be racing for a service center there called Big O Tires, and we’ll have the South Point Hotel & Casino represented on the bed top of the Tundra. We’re looking to rekindle some old magic at home,” smiled Gaughan, who will wheel chassis GR-017 at Las Vegas.(Germain Racing PR) [Rendering of the #62 Big O Tires/South Point Toyota is posted on the #62 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.](10-12-2011)
- SS Green Light Racing set for Smith’s 350: David Starr and the SS Green Light Racing team have had a roller coaster season through twenty races so far in the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season. With just five races remaining, Starr finds himself twelfth in the driver standings twenty-six points out of the top-ten and the veteran driver knows it’s time to rally beginning this week at Las Vegas and make a move toward the top-ten, a goal the team set before the season’s first race in Daytona. In 2002 David won both the pole and the Las Vegas 350 race at the mile and a half speedway just outside of Sin City. In eleven previous NCWTS races at Las Vegas David has accumulated three top-fives and five top-ten finishes. Allegro Marinade will provide associate sponsorship on Starr’s #81 Zachry Toyota this week at Las Vegas. Veteran Butch Miller who will pilot the Riviera Hotel & Casino/Stony Creek Appliance Repair #07. The Riviera Hotel & Casino will be the official hotel of the SS Green Light Racing teams for this week’s Smiths 350. David Starr, Butch Miller and several other drivers will participate in a fan autograph session at the Hotel on Friday night. [See the Jayski Appearances page for details, as well as other scheduled appearances.](SS Green Light Racing PR)(10-12-2011)
- Cobb enters LVMS with new sponsor:Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing [#10 Dodge] enters the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Smith’s 350 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway this Saturday with a new sponsor onboard. Cobb and her JJCR team continue to persevere through the many setbacks that 2011 has brought them. This past weekend’s woes at the Kansas Speedway brought the team just to the brink of shutting down after failing to qualify for the Nationwide race. With such devastation abound, missing the race and the financial payout from NASCAR was the final blow for the team. Famed Las Vegas Attorney, Glen Lerner, wanted to enter the NASCAR arena and felt Cobb and her team were the perfect match. “It is an honor to represent Glen Lerner and his elite team of attorneys,” Cobb says. “It is a boost for our team and an opportunity to introduce another new sponsor to our sport.(Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing PR)(10-12-2011)
- NASCAR honors National Breast Cancer Awareness Month: In recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, NASCAR is “going pink” with concentrated efforts during this weekend’s activities at Charlotte Motor Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway to build awareness and raise funds for breast cancer-aimed charitable organizations. NASCAR will add pink accents to its NASCAR Sprint Cup, NASCAR Nationwide and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series vehicles during the upcoming race weekend – which includes Charlotte Motor Speedway’s Bank of America 500 and Dollar General 300 Miles of Courage; and Las Vegas Motor Speedway’s Smith’s 350. Included among the many race weekend initiatives are:
*Race cars and trucks will carry a NASCAR Breast Cancer Awareness ribbon logo on A-posts
*NASCAR officials will wear pink lanyards and gloves in the garage area throughout the weekend
*NASCAR officials’ fire suits will carry NASCAR Breast Cancer Awareness patches
*NASCAR partner Mechanix Wear will provide pink gloves that will later be signed by drivers to auction off on the NASCAR Unites website
Coinciding with the at-track elements, the NASCAR Unites website will feature a number of opportunities for NASCAR fans to unite in support of kids who have been affected in some way by breast cancer through initiatives like the Susan G. Komen for the Cure College Scholarship program. Each year, Susan G. Komen provides scholarships for up to $100,000 a year for four years to college-bound students who have lost a loved one to breast cancer or have been diagnosed themselves under the age of 25.
“Breast Cancer Awareness month is one of those unique opportunities in which the NASCAR industry and NASCAR fans rally together for such a special and important cause,” said Sandy Marshall, executive director of The NASCAR Foundation. “Each year the program gets bigger, which means that awareness is growing across the board.”(NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications)(10-12-2011)
- Gresham to make series debut at LVMS: UPDATE: Promoting GMP’s Rheem World Crown 300: Max Gresham announced today that he will compete in a trio of NASCAR Camping World Truck Series events this season for Turn One Racing. Gresham, the leader of the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East championship chase heading into the final race of the season at Dover International Speedway this Friday, will make his series debut in a Chevrolet Silverado for Turn One Racing in the Smith’s 350 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Saturday, October 15. Gresham will also compete in the Kroger 200 for Turn One at Martinsville Speedway on Saturday, October 29 and in the Ford 200 at Homestead-Miami Speedway Friday, November 18. “I’m extremely excited to go to Turn One Racing and work with Stacy Compton and the whole group there for some races at the end of this season,” said Gresham . “It’s going to be a big step in my career and it’s great I can take it with them. This is going to be important for me because I will be able to get laps under my belt before hopefully moving into the Truck Series full-time in 2012.” Gresham has had an outstanding 2011 NASCAR K&N season posting two wins, eight top-five and 10 top-10 finishes in 11 events. The 18-year-old Belmont Abbey College freshman has also sat on the pole for four division events and is the only driver to complete every lap — all 1,553 circuits — in series competition this season. Gresham and his #18 Joe Gibbs Racing team have a 21-point lead in the 2011 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East championship battle heading into Friday’s season-ending race at Dover. The Griffin, GA native, who began his career in the Bandolero division at Atlanta Motor Speedway at the age of eight, has also competed in 11 career ARCA events over the past two seasons scoring one win, two poles and six top-10 finishes. Driving for Venturini Motorsports this year, Gresham notched an ARCA pole at Pocono Raceway in July and a season-best second-place ARCA finish at Michigan Speedway in June.(Turn One Racing PR)(9-27-2011)
UPDATE: Gresham, who will wheel the #66 Rheem World Crown 300 Silverado in Saturday’s race at LVMS promoting the 28th-Annual Rheem World Crown 300 at Gresham Motorsports Park in Jefferson , GA November 11-13th.(Turn One Racing PR)(10-11-2011)
- Dillon heads to LVMS as defending winner: Austin Dillon has one previous start at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (September 2010) and is the track’s defending pole and race winner. Dillon will pilot chassis No. 006 from the Richard Childress Racing NCWTS stable this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Dillon has raced this chassis three times in 2011, most recently at Kentucky Speedway on October 1, where he finished second after earning the pole award. He also drove this Chevrolet Silverado at Kentucky Speedway in July, where he finished 14th after starting second and at Kansas Speedway in June, where he earned the pole before finishing 12th. Dillon drove this #3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet four times in 2010, with the best finish coming at LVMS when the then rookie driver claimed his second career NCWTS victory. Point of interest – Crew chief Danny Stockman’s first NCWTS job was as a mechanic with Las Vegas-based Orleans racing at the age of 19. Now 29, the crew chief has celebrated two NCWTS championships as a truck chief for Ron Hornaday at Kevin Harvick, Inc. and has enjoyed three wins and 12 pole awards with Dillon over the last two seasons at RCR. Truck chief Robert Stamiska also previously worked for Orleans Racing.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(10-11-2011)
- TV ratings pacing up five-percent for year: Heading into Talladega Superspeedway with four races remaining in the 2011 season, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series on SPEED is pacing up five-percent overall versus last year at this point (.81 vs. .77), according to Nielsen Media Research. The Truck Series is up eight-percent among M35-54 (.70 vs. .65) compared with events during equivalent dates in the 2010 season. When compared to SPEED’s record-setting 2009 season, the 2011 season is tracking up three-percent overall (.81 vs. .79). (SPEED PR)(10-20-2011)
- Gaughan negotiating for RCR Nationwide/Truck rides? NASCAR Camping World Truck Series veteran Brendan Gaughan is negotiating with Richard Childress Racing to run a part-time schedule in both the NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series in 2012. Sources say Childress will field a trio of Nationwide Series Chevrolets next season; one for veteran Elliott Sadler, another for grandson Austin Dillon and a third to be shared by Gaughan and a rotating lineup of Sprint Cup drivers including Kevin Harvick, Jeff Burton and Paul Menard. Tony Stewart, who has made sporadic Nationwide starts for Kevin Harvick, Inc., in recent years, is also a possibility. RCR is expected to campaign three Camping World Truck Series Silverados in 2012 for youngsters Ty Dillon and Joey Coulter, with the third truck being shared by Gaughan and the same lineup of RCR-Sprint Cup affiliated drivers. Gaughan had no comment when contacted today, but has said in the past that he would be willing to run a partial schedule of events in either the Nationwide of Trucks Series, if the rides were capable of contending for wins.(Sirius-Speedway.com)(10-14-2011)
- Sponsor set for Busch’s 100th series start at Talladega; image added: Kyle Busch Motorsports announced today that Toyota Certified Used Vehicles will be the primary sponsor on the #18 Tundra when Kyle Busch makes his 100th career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start Saturday, Oct. 22 at Talladega Superspeedway. Over his first 99 career starts, the 26-year-old has quickly established himself as one of the most prolific drivers in the history of the Truck Series. Busch’s 30 wins rank second on the all-time series wins list. Additionally, he ranks fourth all-time with 4,120 laps led, is tied for sixth with 12 poles and ranks ninth with 59 top-five finishes.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)[Rendering of the #18 Toyota Certified Used Vehicles Toyota is posted on the #18 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.](10-10-2011)
- Carmichael featuring Monster Energy Cup scheme at LVMS: This weekend, Carmichael’s #4 machine will once again feature a special paint scheme highlighting the October 15 Monster Energy Cup at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas. The Monster Energy Cup will showcase a unique hybrid track, designed by Carmichael and fellow supercross staple Jeremy McGrath, and will consist of supercross/motocross terrain and will have a tremendous motocross-style influence, making it unlike any other stadium race in the world. The Monster Energy Cup posts a $250,000 purse with the winner walking away with a $100,000 check and, for the first time ever, $1 million will be paid to a rider who wins all three main events. Carmichael will handle commentary for SPEED’s coverage of the Monster Energy Cup motocross race being held Saturday night at Las Vegas Sam Boyd Stadium. Carmichael has two NCWTS starts at LVMS and calls a ninth-place finish a career-best at 1.5-mile tri-oval. He’s earned an eighth-place starting average, a 15.5 average finish and completed 286 of the 292 total laps run (98 percent) over both races.(Turner Motorsports PR)(10-11-2011)
- Crafton set to move to #2 in all-time consecutive starts following LVMS: This weekend when Matt Crafton takes the green flag, he will officially surpass Dennis Setzer for second in all-time consecutive starts in the series with 268. Matt Crafton and the #88 Menards/Ideal Door team are betting on a win in this weekend’s race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Crafton has three top-five and four top-10 finishes at the 1.5-mile oval, and has come close to taking home the big money, finishing second behind teammate Johnny Sauter in 2009. His last three starts at LVMS have all resulted in a top-five finish. This weekend when Crafton takes the green flag, he will officially surpass Dennis Setzer for second in all-time consecutive starts in the series with 268. In addition to running 219 miles behind the wheel of the No. 88 Chevrolet Silverado, Crafton’s week in Vegas includes some extracurricular driving activities. Crafton will embark on the maiden voyage of his newly built sandrail, a lightweight motor vehicle designed for off-road driving and skimming the surface of sand dunes. Be sure to tune in to this weekend’s NCWTS Setup on SPEED to see Crafton hit the dunes with Ray Dunlap.(ThorSport Racing PR)(10-11-2011)
- Buescher to feature Racersites at LVMS; image added: Turner Motorsports welcomes aboard Racersites to the sheet metal of the #31 Chevrolet. Racersites.com serves as web provider for Turner Motorsports and James Buescher, who will launch his re-designed Jamesbuescher.com this week. The completely redesigned site will feature various interactive video elements, the most up-to-date news and information, and fan interaction sections. Originally founded in 1998, Racersites is located in Charlotte, NC and is a leading provider of web design, development and management services for clients in racing industries. Buescher and the #31 Jamesbuescher.com/Racersites Chevrolet team are involved in one of the closest point battles in series history. The Turner Motorsports team sits three markers behind point leader Austin Dillon with five races remaining on the 2011 schedule. Buescher has been a roll since late April. In the last 16 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races, Buescher has picked up 18 spots in the championship point standings and has an average finishing position of 6.06. He and the No. 31 Jamesbuescher.com/Racersites Chevrolet team have accumulated nine top-five and 17 top-10 results in addition to a pole position during this stretch(Turner Motorsports PR) [Rendering of the #31 James Buescher.com/Racersites Chevrolet is posted on the #31 NCTWS 2011 Paint Schemes page.](10-10-2011)
- Kendrick returns to crew chief role with White: Chad Kendrick will assume the position of crew chief for the # 23 GunBroker.com Chevrolet with driver, Jason White this weekend at LVMS. Kendrick has been on a four-race suspension since Atlanta in September, after receiving a penalty at Lucas Oil Raceway in July. White is making his 125th series start this weekend, but is still looking for his first elusive NASCAR win. With the 1.5-mile tri-oval marking the place of his season-best finish of third (2009), White hopes to join other notables in getting his first series win at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.(Joe Denette Motorsports PR)(10-10-2011)
- Deana Martin to sing National Anthem at Las Vegas: Singer-actress Deana Martin will sing the national anthem Saturday prior to the Smith’s 350 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. She is the daughter of legendary singer-actor and Las Vegas Rat Pack member Dean Martin. In addition to performing on her international concert tour, she is the author of a best-selling book, “Memories Are Made Of This.” Ms. Martin will also perform at the South Point Hotel & Casino on Sunday.(Las Vegas Motor Speedway PR)(10-10-2011)
- Hornaday returns to #2 with Champion onboard: Four-time NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion and most recent race winner, Ron Hornaday will once again be behind the wheel of the #2 Kevin Harvick Inc.Chevrolet Silverado this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Hornaday is looking to add to his winning record this weekend by visiting the 1.5-mile track, after capturing his 50th Truck Series victory at Kentucky Speedway. In 10 starts at Las Vegas, Hornaday has captured one pole, five top-five and seven top-10 finishes. The veteran driver has also been credited with leading 152 laps and completing 1568 of 1569 laps raced at the track. The #2 Champion Chevrolet and four-time Truck Series champion Ron Hornaday will proudly sport a red and black paint scheme featuring Champion’s automotive filter products on the tonneau cover this weekend at Las Vegas. This Saturday’s race will mark the second time this season the world leading automotive parts manufacturer has been primary sponsor of a KHI Chevrolet.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-10-2011)
- Gale back in #33; first truck start at Vegas: Cale Gale will climb behind the wheel of the #33 Rheem Chevrolet Silverado this weekend when the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series heads to Las Vegas. The Smith’s 350 will be Gale’s third appearance in the Truck Series this season and his second race with the #33 Kevin Harvick Inc. team. The Saturday afternoon showdown will be Gale’s first Truck Series event at the 1.5-mile Nevada facility, but the young driver has made laps around the track during a NASCAR Nationwide Series test session for KHI 2008. (Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(10-10-2011)
- Turner Motorsports downsizing? UPDATE 2: Plans to run three trucks; Buescher returns to series: Turner Motorsports had meetings with the majority of their employees today and handed out letters in accordance with the North Carolina WARN Act regarding layoffs. In case you aren’t familiar, the WARN Act “requires a 60-day notice to the state and employees if at least 50 employees will be laid off because of the closure or shutdown of a business unit or if a company has layoffs of at least 50 people that impact 33 percent of a workforce at a single site.” The reason for possible upcoming layoffs at Turner is the loss of sponsor Dollar General. Dollar General is currently the sponsor on Reed Sorenson’s #32 car, and has been a team sponsor going back to when Turner was Braun Racing. Don’t expect Dollar General to disappear though, as they are rumored to be working with another team for the future. As for Turner, not every employee is in danger as they are expected to have at least two full time trucks, two full time Nationwide cars, and possibly a third part time NNS team in 2012.(NASCAR Insiders)(10-3-2011)
UPDATE: Due to the current economic climate, coupled with the decision by long-time marketing partner, Dollar General, to seek other sponsorship opportunities, Turner Motorsports has notified its employees of a potential downsizing at the end of the current racing season. It is hopeful the action will become unnecessary as the team continues to work with potential marketing partners for their Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series teams.(Turner Motorsports PR)(10-4-2011)
UPDATE: Turner plans to go from four Nationwide cars to three in 2012. The organization also will continue to field three trucks. Turner said James Buescher, his future son-in-law who is second in the current Camping World Truck Series standings, will be back in the trucks. When specifically asked whether Ricky Carmichael would return to the truck program next year, Turner said his drivers will be announced at a later date.(Scene Daily.com)(10-8-2011)
- Sauter busy during open week — wins at LaCrosse: Johnny Sauter, who spent the 1997 season racing at the La Crosse Fairgrounds Speedway, returned to the same track Sunday afternoon and crossed one event of his “must win” race wish list. Sauter held off his nephew, Travis Sauter, to win the biggest race of the four-day Oktoberfest Race Weekend – the ASA Midwest Tour Oktoberfest feature – Sunday afternoon before a crowd estimated at more than 5,000. After a dominating performance in which he led all 100 laps, Johnny Sauter will forever be known as an Oktoberfest race champion. Johnny Sauter, who has raced in all three big-time series – Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series – has had his eye on the Oktoberfest 100 for a long time. He built his own car, and this was the first time it had seen the track. Sauter, the top qualifier, started on the pole and stayed out front for each lap.(LaCrosseTribune.com)(10-10-2011)
- KBM’s #18 truck, Las Vegas – image added: New York-New York Hotel & Casino will be an associate sponsor of Brian Ickler’s No. 18 Toyota Tundra for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Smith’s 350 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway Saturday, Oct. 15. Rendering of the truck is posted on the #18 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.(KBM PR)(10-7-2011)
- Lofton planning double duty in the desert: Justin Lofton will have a full plate next weekend. On Saturday, Lofton will participate in the Smith’s 350 NCWTS race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Following the event, he will head three hours south to Parker, Arizona, where on Sunday, he will run the final leg of the Best in the Desert (BITD) Racing Association’s BlueWater Desert Challenge. Justin Lofton will have a full plate next weekend. On Saturday, Lofton will participate in the Smith’s 350 NCWTS race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Following the event, he will head three hours south to Parker, Arizona, where on Sunday, he will run the final leg of the Best in the Desert (BITD) Racing Association’s BlueWater Desert Challenge. After a break of nearly a year and a half from off-road racing, Justin participated in the SCORE International Off-Road Racing Series event earlier this year in Laughlin, Nevada. He was well on his way to victory after he led his class on the first day of competition, and was leading on the final lap on day two before a broken spindle spoiled the effort. Kicking off his weekend full of racing, Lofton will first hit the track in his No. 6 CollegeComplete.com Chevrolet at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Friday, October 14th for practice and qualifying. The Smith’s 350 is scheduled for Saturday afternoon. (Justin Lofton/ESR PR)(10-6-2011)
- Added a few images from Kentucky: Images added — #2-Ron Hornaday, Hollywood Casino Chevrolet; #17-Timothy Peters, Big O Tires/Service Central Toyota; #21-Ty Dillon, Bad Boy Buggies/Realtree Chevrolet; #33-Cale Gale, Rheem Chevrolet; #98-Ferrellgas / Agrisure / DriveforSavings.com Chevrolet. To view, click on the individual link or to see all schemes, visit the 2011 NCWTS Paint Schemes page.(10-6-2011)
- ThorSport to feature Riviera at Las Vegas: ThorSport Racing announced today that the Riviera Hotel & Casino will serve as the official Las Vegas Hotel of ThorSport Racing. The #13 and #88 ThorSport Racing trucks, driven by Johnny Sauter and Matt Crafton, will each feature the Riviera’s logo in the October race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. While the #88 will include the Riviera Hotel & Casino as an associate, Sauter will race the Safe Auto/Curb Records/Riviera Hotel & Casino Chevrolet which will feature the resort on the quarter panels and TV panel. The #13 truck will also sport the names of two Riviera VIP guests. The hotel VIPs listed on either side of the vehicle will be named as honorary pit crew members for ThorSport Racing and will participate with the team in pre-race activities and ceremonies. The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will hit the track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Saturday, October 15th with live coverage airing at 3:30pm/et on SPEED.(ThorSport Racing PR)(10-5-2011)
- TV Ratings up for fourth consecutive race: According to Nielsen Media Research, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series on SPEED posted its fourth-consecutive year-to-year ratings increase last Saturday at Kentucky Speedway. The event scored a .56, up four-percent over last year’s equivalent-week Las Vegas race (.54). The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series on SPEED is pacing up five percent overall versus last year at this point and up one percent over SPEED’s record-setting 2009 season when compared with equivalent dates. With five races remaining in the 2011 season, the Truck Series takes a weekend off before heading to Las Vegas Motor Speedway for the Oct. 15 race. SPEED provides live coverage beginning at 3 p.m. ET with NCWTS Setup with Krista Voda, followed by live race coverage at 3:30 p.m. ET.(SPEEDtv PR)(10-4-2011)
- Austin Dillon to make Cup debut at Kansas with Curb Agajanian: The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation’s Centennial Celebration will be commemorated by Austin Dillon’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series debut driving the #98 Curb Agajanian/Reagan Centennial/Camping World/Curb Records Chevrolet in the Oct. 9 Hollywood Casino 400 at Kansas Speedway. The original announcement of the program was made March 27 at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif. The Ronald Reagan Centennial is a historic, year-long celebration to commemorate the 100th birthday of the 40th President of the United States of America. A series of substantive and celebratory events, partnerships, and initiatives sponsored by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation are planned throughout 2011, including the Ronald Reagan tribute album which is being released nationally by Curb Records in connection with the Kansas race. Dillon currently leads the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series point standings with five races remaining in just his second full season in the series. The Lewisville, N.C., native finished fifth in the 2010 NCWTS point standings and was named rookie of-the-year. He recently equaled his win total from last year with his second victory of the season, in the Sept. 25 Fast Five 225 at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill. His NCWTS pit crew, led by crew chief Danny Stockman, will serve in the same roles for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race. The Kansas Speedway race by Dillon will be the 100th NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start for car co-owner Mike Curb. and Curb-Agajanian Racing.(Richard Chidlress Racing PR)(10-4-2011)
- NASCAR and Goodyear extend agreement through 2017: The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company and NASCAR today jointly announced they have signed an extended agreement for Goodyear to continue as the exclusive tire used in NASCAR’s top three racing series for the next five years. The agreement, which extends through the 2017 season, renews Goodyear as the “Exclusive Tire Supplier” of NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series, the NASCAR Nationwide Series and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Goodyear has had an uninterrupted commitment to NASCAR since becoming a race tire supplier in the 1950s, making it one of the longest-running supply programs in any sport. In addition, Goodyear has been the exclusive tire supplier for all three of the circuit’s top series since 1997.(NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications)(10-3-2011)
- Conner joins Winfield Motorsports team: Winfield Motorsports LLC is proud to announce the addition of Dennis Conner to the team. Conner will serve as the Director of Competition at Winfield Motorsports and will oversee the day to day performance needs of the team. Conner brings 30 years of experience in NASCAR to Winfield Motorsports. He has worked with some of the most legendary names in the sport including; Cale Yarborough, Richard Childress, Lake Speed, Neil Bonnet, David Pearson, Tim Richmond, Greg Sacks, and Jack Sprague with whom he guided to three Camping World Truck Series Championships. Winfield Motorsports LLC was established in 2011 fielding the #27 in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. The team will be announcing sponsorship and the driver lineup in the coming weeks.(Winfield Motorsports PR)(10-3-2011)
- Monday Rundown — Racing Resources:
*Ron Hornaday Jr. won the Kentucky 225 at Kentucky Speedway. It was his 50th career win in his 295th series start and his third victory this season.
*Hornaday, 53, posted his third overall victory at Kentucky. He’s the series’ only repeat winner at the track. He has won three or more races in eight different seasons.
*Hornaday led four times for 42 laps, including the final 11.
*Kevin Harvick Inc. posted its 40th career victory and seventh win this season, tying Kyle Busch Motorsports for the most in 2011.
*Chevrolet posted its 11th win this season and fifth victory overall at Kentucky.
*Points leader Austin Dillon (second) has three straight top-2 finishes.
*James Buescher (third) has 17 top-10 finish in 19 races this season.
*Nelson Piquet Jr. (fourth) posted his fourth career top-5 finish.
*Brian Ickler (fifth) had his second top-5 finish in three 2011 starts.
*Ricky Carmichael (sixth) matched his best finish this season (Texas).
*Ty Dillon (18th) made his Truck series debut.(ESPN.com)(10-3-2011)
- Hornaday scores 50th NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Victory: Ron Hornaday Jr., the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series only four-time champion, posted his record-extending 50th victory in the Kentucky 225 at Kentucky Speedway on Saturday night. Hornaday, from Palmdale, Calif., is the only active, full-time competitor whose career dates to the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series’ inaugural event at Phoenix International Raceway on Feb. 5, 1995. He won the Keystone Light Pole for that race and collected his first victory two months later at Tucson (Ariz.) Raceway Park. The 53-year-old Hornaday has won races on 30 different tracks. He is the series’ all-time short track winner with 22 victories and also won three times on road courses. Eleven of his 50 victories came from a pole position start.
Beginning in 1995, when Hornaday drove for Dale Earnhardt Inc., he has won at least once in each of 12 seasons in which he was a full-time competitor and 13 years overall. His most prolific season was 1997 when he won seven times. He has won six or more times in five different seasons. Saturday’s victory was his third of the 2011 season. Hornaday won championships with DEI in 1996 and 1998 and with Kevin Harvick Inc. in 2007 and 2009. He has ranked among the top five in the points standings eight times. “Ron has been the heart and soul of the Truck series,” said Kevin Harvick, the owner for 24 of Hornaday’s victories. “Fifty wins is just one more incredible achievement in a career that I’m sure will one day land him in the NASCAR Hall of Fame.”(NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications) [Rundown of Hornaday’s notable victories is posted on the Kentucky Race page](10-1-2011)
Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors Archives
[Listed by Month]
the Jayski site is housed at:
Born On Date: January 1, 2011
This page designed by Jayski LLC, 1996-2016©. All Rights Reserved.
Jayski’s® is a registered trademark of Jayski, LLC
Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form without permission or credit.