Top 10 Active Driver Ratings at ISM
Kevin Harvick……………………… 110.9
Chase Elliott……………………….. 110.3
Jimmie Johnson…………………… 107.8
Kyle Busch…………………………. 101.1
Denny Hamlin……………………….. 96.6
Erik Jones……………………………. 96.1
Kurt Busch…………………………… 95.4
Brad Keselowski……………………. 93.0
Joey Logano…………………………. 90.7
Kyle Larson………………………….. 90.4
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2018 races (27 total) among active drivers at ISM Raceway.
· Construction was completed in January 1964. The facility consisted of a one-mile oval and a 2.5-mile road course.
· Alan Kulwicki won the first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Phoenix on Nov. 6, 1988.
· The first spring race was held on April 23, 2005 and was also the first night race, which was won by Kurt Busch.
· The track underwent its first repave in 2011. The construction began in March and concluded in September of that year.
· The following changes were made during the construction period (March – Sept. 2011): Widened the frontstretch from 52 to 62 feet and reconfigured pit road with the installation of concrete pit stalls; Pushed the dog-leg curve between Turn 2 and Turn 3 out 95 feet and tightened the turn radius of the dog-leg from 800 to 500 feet; Implemented variable banking, including 10-11-degree banking between Turn 1 and Turn 2; 10-11-degree banking in the apex of the dog-leg; and 8-9-degree banking in Turn 4.
· Following the 2017 season, the track was renamed from Phoenix Raceway to ISM Raceway.
· During the 2018 season the track went through a $178 million renovation. The project added a new pedestrian tunnel to connect the infield to the grandstand areas, and virtually everything in the infield – medical center, media center, garages, Victory Lane, scoreboards and support buildings – are all new for the fall race.
· The changes on the track include the Start-Finish line being moved in front of the new grandstands. Now it sits after what was Turn 2 and before the dog-leg.
· With the moving of the Start-Finish line, the track has been flipped from its former format – what was Turns 1 & 2 are now Turns 3 & 4 and vice versa.
· There have been 44 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at ISM Raceway, one per season from 1988-2004 and two each per season since.
· A total of 216 drivers have competed in at least one Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at ISM Raceway; 159 in more than one.
· Mark Martin and Jeff Gordon lead the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in starts at ISM Raceway with 34 each.
· Ryan Newman leads all active drivers in the Monster Energy Series starts at ISM Raceway with 32.
· Kyle Larson (nine starts) leads the Monster Energy Series an average starting position at ISM Raceway with a 5.778.
· A total of 24 different Monster Energy Series drivers have won the Busch Pole Award at ISM Raceway; led by Ryan Newman with four (2002, 2003, 2004 and 2008).
· Geoffrey Bodine won the first Monster Energy Series pole at ISM Raceway in 1988 at a speed of 123.203 mph (29.220 sec.) in a Chevrolet.
· Youngest ISM Raceway pole winner: Kyle Busch (4/22/06 – 20 years, 11 months, 20 days).
· Oldest ISM Raceway pole winner: Mark Martin (03/03/13 – 54 years, 1 month, 22 days).
· Of the 24 pole winners at ISM Raceway, 12 of them have won multiple poles, five are active: Ryan Newman (four), Jimmie Johnson (three), Kyle Busch (three), Denny Hamlin (two) and Martin Truex Jr. (two).
· Ryan Newman, Jeff Gordon and Carl Edwards are the only drivers to win consecutive poles at ISM Raceway. Newman won three-straight (2002-04), Gordon won in the fall of 2006 and the spring of 2007. Edwards won in the fall of 2010 and spring of 2011.
· Four drivers have won their first career MENCS pole at Phoenix Raceway: Casey Atwood (October 2001), Denny Hamlin (November 2005), AJ Allmendinger (April 2010) and Alex Bowman (November 2016).
· A total of 24 different Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won at ISM Raceway.
· Kevin Harvick leads the series in wins at ISM Raceway with nine victories (’06 spring race and Playoff race, ’12 Playoff race, ’13 Playoff race, ’14 spring race and Playoff race, ’15 spring race, ’16 spring race and ’18 spring race).
· This weekend at ISM Raceway, Kevin Harvick can become the sixth driver to have won 10 or more times at a single track.
· 10 drivers have multiple wins at ISM Raceway: Kevin Harvick leads the series in wins with nine followed by Jimmie Johnson (four), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (three), Davey Allison (two), Jeff Burton (two), Jeff Gordon (two) Carl Edwards (two), Mark Martin (two), Matt Kenseth (two) and Ryan Newman (two).
· Of the 10 drivers with multiple wins at ISM Raceway, Mark Martin (1993 Ford and 2009 Chevrolet) and Matt Kenseth (2002 Ford and 2017 Toyota) are the only two drivers to win in two different manufacturers.
· Five drivers have won consecutive races at ISM Raceway: Davey Allison (1991,1992); Jeff Burton (2000, 2001); Dale Earnhardt Jr. (2003, 2004); Kevin Harvick (swept 2006, then 2013 Playoff race, swept 2014 and 2015 spring race); Jimmie Johnson (fall race of 2007, swept 2008).
· Hendrick Motorsports leads the series in wins at ISM Raceway with 10, followed by Roush Fenway Racing with seven.
· Five of the 44 (11.4%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at ISM Raceway have been won from the pole: Jeff Gordon (spring race of 2007), Jimmie Johnson (Playoff race of 2008), Mark Martin (spring race of 2009), Carl Edwards (Playoff race of 2010) and Kevin Harvick (spring race of 2015).
· Eight of the 44 (18.2%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at ISM Raceway have been won from the front row: five from the pole and three from second starting position.
· Ricky Rudd won the 1995 ISM Raceway race from the 29th-place starting position, the furthest back all-time a race winner has started.
· The furthest back an active Monster Energy Series race winner has started at ISM Raceway was 28th, when Matt Kenseth won back in 2002.
· Alan Kulwicki (11/6/1988) and Bobby Hamilton (10/27/1996) are the only two drivers to post their first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series career win at ISM Raceway.
· A total of 22 of the 24 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers who have won at ISM Raceway participated in at least two or more races before visiting Victory Lane. Alan Kulwicki (11/6/1988) and Tony Stewart (11/7/1999) are the only two drivers to win at ISM Raceway in their first appearance.
· Jeff Gordon and Joey Logano competed at ISM Raceway 16 times before winning; the longest span of any the 24 winners.
· Six drivers have made 10 or more attempts before their first win at ISM Raceway: Jeff Gordon (16), Joey Logano (16), Ryan Newman (15), Kasey Kahne (14), Denny Hamlin (13), Carl Edwards (12) and Rusty Wallace (11).
· Jamie McMurray leads the series (active drivers) with the most Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts at ISM Raceway without visiting Victory Lane with 30 starts.
· Youngest Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series ISM Raceway winner: Kyle Busch (11/13/2005 – 20 years, 6 months, 11 days).
· Oldest Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series ISM Raceway winner: Mark Martin (04/18/2009 – 50 years, 3 months, 9 days).
· Three drivers have won at ISM Raceway and the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championship in the same season: Dale Earnhardt (1990); Jimmie Johnson (2007, 2008 sweep and 2009); Kevin Harvick (2014).
Additional Finishing Positions
· A total of 27 different Monster Energy Series drivers have finished runner-up at ISM Raceway; led by Mark Martin with five second-place finishes. Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch lead all active drivers with three each.
· A total of 49 different Monster Energy Series drivers have finished in the top-five at ISM Raceway; led by Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick with 15 top-five finishes each.
· A total of 81 different Monster Energy Series drivers have finished in the top-10 at ISM Raceway; led by Jeff Gordon with 24 top-10 finishes.
· Alan Kulwicki (five starts) leads the series in average finishing position at ISM Raceway with a 5.200.
· Chase Elliott (five starts) leads all active drivers in average finishing position at ISM Raceway with a 6.800.
· Chase Elliott (6.8) and Kevin Harvick (9.5) are the only two active drivers with average finishes inside the top 10 at ISM Raceway.
Track / Event Specific Stats
· Since the advent of electronic scoring in 1993, the closest margin of victory in the Monster Energy Series at ISM Raceway is the spring race of 2016 (March 13, 2016) when Kevin Harvick beat Carl Edwards to the line by 0.010 seconds.
· Four perfect Driver Ratings of 150.0 have been recorded at ISM Raceway, Kurt Busch in April of 2005 and Kevin Harvick in November of 2006, November 2014 and March 2015.
· Qualifying has never been cancelled due to weather at ISM Raceway.
· Of the 44 races at ISM Raceway seven have ended with NASCAR Overtime.
· Only two of the 44 Monster Energy Series races at ISM Raceway have been shortened due to weather:
· Danica Patrick is the only female driver in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series to compete at ISM Raceway. She made 11 starts at ISM Raceway in her career.
NASCAR in Arizona
· There have been 112 NASCAR national series races among four tracks in the state of Arizona.
Arizona in NASCAR
· 33 drivers in NASCAR national series history have their home state recorded as Arizona.
· Of the 33 Arizona drivers, only two have won a NASCAR national series race – Michael McDowell (Phoenix) won the NXS race at Road America in 2016 and Alex Bowman (Tucson) won the NXS race at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 2017.
— NASCAR —