Top 10 Driver Rating at Auto Club
Jimmie Johnson…………………… 114.0
Kyle Busch…………………………. 111.5
Kevin Harvick……………………….. 96.1
Erik Jones……………………………. 93.6
Denny Hamlin……………………….. 93.4
Chase Elliott…………………………. 92.4
Ryan Blaney…………………………. 90.9
Joey Logano…………………………. 90.4
Kyle Larson………………………….. 89.9
Kurt Busch…………………………… 88.6
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2019 races (21 total) among active drivers at Auto Club Speedway
At Auto Club Speedway:
- Groundbreaking for California Speedway, as Auto Club Speedway was originally known, took place in November of 1995 in Fontana, California.
- The first race at Auto Club Speedway was a NASCAR K&N Pro Series West race won by Ken Schrader on June 21, 1997.
- The first NASCAR Cup Series race was held on June 22, 1997 and won by Jeff Gordon driving the Hendrick Motorsports No. 24 Chevrolet.
- September 2004 was the first night race at Auto Club Speedway and that also was the first year both the NASCAR Cup and NASCAR Xfinity Series ran two races in a season there.
- The track name was changed to Auto Club Speedway (ACS) in February of 2008.
- There have been 30 NASCAR Cup Series races at Auto Club Speedway, the track hosted one race a season from 1997-2003, then two races per season from 2004-2010. In 2011, Auto Club Speedway returned to a single-race season.
- In total 159 different drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway; 130 have competed in more than one race at Auto Club Speedway.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick and Kurt Busch lead the NASCAR Cup Series in starts at Auto Club Speedway with 26 each.
- A total of six drivers have made their first series career start at Auto Club Speedway – Chris Buescher (2015), Kevin Conway (2010), J.J. Yeley (2004), Shane Hmiel (2004), Greg Biffle (2002) and Mike Dillon (1998).
- Patrick Carpentier (three starts) leads the series in average starting position at Auto Club Speedway with a 5.0.
- Richard Childress Racing’s Austin Dillon leads all active drivers in the series in average starting position at Auto Club Speedway with a 9.833.
Top 10 in Average Starting Position at Auto Club Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg Start||Starts||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Start||Starts|
|1||Patrick Carpentier||5.000||3||1||Austin Dillon||9.833||6|
|2||Austin Dillon||9.833||6||2||Kyle Busch||10.190||21|
|3||Kyle Busch||10.190||21||3||Denny Hamlin||11.167||18|
|4||Denny Hamlin||11.167||18||4||Kyle Larson||11.167||6|
|5||Kyle Larson||11.167||6||5||Jimmie Johnson||11.960||25|
|6||Jimmie Johnson||11.960||25||6||Erik Jones||12.000||3|
|7||Erik Jones||12.000||3||7||Joey Logano||12.385||13|
|8||Joey Logano||12.385||13||8||Brad Keselowski||12.636||11|
|9||Mark Martin||12.500||22||9||Ryan Blaney||12.750||4|
|10||Brad Keselowski||12.636||11||10||Ryan Newman||12.800||25|
|Auto Club Speedway Busch Pole Winners|
|Pole Winners (19)||Poles|
|Juan Pablo Montoya||1|
|Martin Truex Jr||1|
- A total of 19 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won the Busch Pole Award at Auto Club Speedway; seven are active this weekend.
- Kurt Busch leads the NASCAR Cup Series in Busch Pole Awards at Auto Club Speedway with four (2015, 2007 and 2006 sweep).
- Joe Nemechek won the inaugural NASCAR Cup Series Busch Pole Award at Auto Club Speedway in 1997 with a speed of 183.015 mph (39.341 secs).
- Five NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won multiple poles at Auto Club Speedway – Kurt Busch (four), Denny Hamlin (three), Brian Vickers (two), Jamie McMurray (two) and Jeff Gordon (two).
- Denny Hamlin (2012, 2013), Jamie McMurray (2010 sweep) and Kurt Busch (2006 sweep) are the only three drivers to win consecutive poles at Auto Club Speedway.
- Youngest Auto Club Speedway Busch Pole Award winner: Kyle Busch (Feb. 27, 2005 – 19 years, 9 months, 25 days).
- Oldest Auto Club Speedway Busch Pole Award winner: Mike Skinner (April 30, 2000 – 42 years, 10 months, 2 days).
- Three drivers have posted their first NASCAR Cup Series career Busch Pole Award at Auto Club Speedway: Carl Edwards(9/4/2005), Kyle Busch (2/27/2005) and Joe Nemechek (6/22/1997).
- Five different manufacturers have won the Busch Pole Award in the NASCAR Cup Series at Auto Club Speedway; led by Chevrolet with 15 poles and followed by Toyota (six), Dodge (four), Ford (two) and Pontiac (one).
- A total of 17 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won at Auto Club Speedway; seven are active this weekend.
- Seven-time champ Jimmie Johnson leads the NASCAR Cup Series in wins at Auto Club Speedway with six victories (2016, Spring 2010, Fall 2009, Fall 2008, Fall 2007 and 2002).
- The inaugural NASCAR Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway was held on June 22, 1997 and won by Jeff Gordon (No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet; 155.012 mph).
- Five drivers have posted multiple NASCAR Cup Series wins at Auto Club Speedway: Jimmie Johnson (six), Kyle Busch (four), Jeff Gordon, and Matt Kenseth each have three wins, Tony Stewart has two.
- Jimmie Johnson (2009-2010) and Kyle Busch (2013-2014) are the only two drivers to win consecutive NASCAR Cup Series races at Auto Club Speedway.
|Auto Club Speedway Race Winners|
|Race Winners (17)||Wins|
|Martin Truex Jr||1|
- Youngest Cup Series Auto Club Speedway winner: Kyle Busch (Sept. 4, 2005 – 20 years, 4 months, 2 days).
- Oldest Cup Series Auto Club Speedway winner: Rusty Wallace (April 29, 2001 – 44 years, 8 months, 15 days).
- Jimmie Johnson (2002) and Kyle Busch (2005) are the only two drivers to post their first series career win at Auto Club Speedway.
- 15 of the 17 NASCAR Cup Series drivers who have won at Auto Club Speedway participated in at least two or more races at the track before visiting Victory Lane – Jeff Gordon (1997 – inaugural event) and Jimmie Johnson (2002) are the only drivers to win at ACS in their first appearance.
- Tony Stewart competed at Auto Club Speedway 18 times before winning in the fall of 2010; the longest span of any the 17 winners. Only Stewart (18), Kevin Harvick (17) and Martin Truex Jr. (17) have made 10 or more attempts before their first win at Auto Club Speedway.
- Clint Bowyer leads all active drivers with the most NASCAR Cup Series starts at Auto Club Speedway without visiting Victory Lane at 19.
- Four reigning NASCAR Cup Series champions have gone on to win at Auto Club Speedway the following season: Tony Stewart (2012), Jeff Gordon (1999), Jimmie Johnson – the only driver to do it multiple times (2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010) and Martin Truex Jr. (2018).
- Three drivers have won at Auto Club Speedway and the NASCAR Cup Series championship in the same season: Jeff Gordon (1997), Jimmie Johnson (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2016) and Kyle Busch (2019).
- Only three car numbers have produced three or more Auto Club Speedway NASCAR Cup Series wins:
Car Number – Drivers – (Years)
o No. 48 – Jimmie Johnson (2002, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2016)
o No. 17 – Matt Kenseth (2006, 2007 and 2009)
o No. 24 – Jeff Gordon (1997, 1999 and 2004)
- Three drivers have won from the pole in the NASCAR Cup Series at Auto Club Speedway Jimmie Johnson (2008), Kyle Larson (2017) and Martin Truex Jr. (2018).
- Four of the 30 (13.3%) NASCAR Cup Series races at Auto Club Speedway have been won from the front row: Jimmie Johnson, Fall 2008 (pole); and Fall 2007 (second-place); Kyle Larson, 2017 (pole); Martin Truex Jr. 2018 (pole).
NCS Wins by Starting Positions at Auto Club Speedway
|Starting Position||Wins||Winning %||Starting Position||Wins||Winning %|
|Winning from the Pole:||10.00%||3|
|Winning from the Front Row:||13.33%||4|
|Winning from a Top-Five Starting Position:||40.00%||12|
|Winning from a Top-10 Starting Position:||56.67%||17|
|Winning After Starting Outside the Top 10:||43.33%||13|
|Winning After Starting Outside the Top 20:||23.33%||7|
|NASCAR Cup Series|
|Owner Wins at Auto Club|
|2||Roush Fenway Racing||7|
|3||Joe Gibbs Racing||3|
|6||Chip Ganassi Racing||1|
|7||Furniture Row Racing||1|
|8||Richard Childress Racing||1|
|9||Richard Petty Motorsports||1|
|10||Robert Yates Racing||1|
- The most recent driver to win after starting outside the top 20 was Kevin Harvick (24th) in 2011.
- The deepest in the field that a race winner has started is 31st, by Matt Kenseth in the spring of 2006.
- The most proficient starting position at Auto Club Speedway is pretty random; five starting positions (first, third, fourth, ninth and 24th) have all produced three winners each.
- A total of 10 different organizations have won at Auto Club Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series, led by Hendrick Motorsports with 10 victories – Jeff Gordon (1997, 1999, 2004), Kyle Busch (2005) and Jimmie Johnson (2002, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2016).
- Four different manufacturers have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Auto Club Speedway; led by Chevrolet with 14 wins, followed by Ford (11), Toyota (four) and Dodge (one).
Additional Finishing Position
- A total of 17 different drivers have finished runner-up at Auto Club Speedway; eight are active this weekend.
- Jimmie Johnson leads the NASCAR Cup Series in runner-up finishes at Auto Club Speedway with five second-place finishes.
Top Five in Runner-Up Finishes at Auto Club Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Runner-Ups||Rank||Active Drivers||Runner-Ups|
|1||Jimmie Johnson||5||1||Jimmie Johnson||5|
|2||Jeff Gordon||4||2||Kevin Harvick||3|
|3||Kevin Harvick||3||3||Kyle Larson||2|
|4||Bobby Labonte||2||4||Brad Keselowski||1|
|Dale Earnhardt Jr||2||Clint Bowyer||1|
|Greg Biffle||2||Joey Logano||1|
|Kyle Larson||2||Kurt Busch||1|
- A total of 37 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have finished in the top-five at Auto Club Speedway.
- Jimmie Johnson leads the series in top-five finishes at Auto Club Speedway with 13.
Top Five in Top-Five Finishes at Auto Club Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top Fives||Rank||Active Drivers||Top Fives|
|1||Jimmie Johnson||13||1||Jimmie Johnson||13|
|2||Jeff Gordon||10||2||Kyle Busch||10|
|Kyle Busch||10||3||Kevin Harvick||7|
|4||Matt Kenseth||9||Kurt Busch||7|
|5||Carl Edwards||8||5||Joey Logano||6|
- A total of 66 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have finished in the top-10 at Auto Club Speedway.
- Jimmie Johnson leads the series in top-10 finishes at Auto Club Speedway with 17.
Top Five in Top-10 Finishes at Auto Club Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top 10s||Rank||Active Drivers||Top 10s|
|1||Jimmie Johnson||17||1||Jimmie Johnson||17|
|2||Carl Edwards||15||2||Kyle Busch||15|
|Kyle Busch||15||3||Kurt Busch||13|
|Matt Kenseth||15||4||Kevin Harvick||12|
|5||Kurt Busch||13||5||Clint Bowyer||8|
Average Finishing Positions
- Jimmie Johnson leads the NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Auto Club Speedway with a 7.600.
Top 10 in Average Finishing Position at Auto Club Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg. Finish||Starts||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg. Finish||Starts|
|1||Jimmie Johnson||7.600||25||1||Jimmie Johnson||7.600||25|
|2||Carl Edwards||8.684||19||2||Kyle Busch||9.952||21|
|3||Kyle Busch||9.952||21||3||Chase Elliott||10.750||4|
|4||Chase Elliott||10.750||4||4||Kurt Busch||12.577||26|
|5||Jeff Gordon||11.769||26||5||Erik Jones||12.667||3|
|6||Matt Kenseth||12.080||25||6||Joey Logano||13.077||13|
|7||Kurt Busch||12.577||26||7||Austin Dillon||13.667||6|
|8||Erik Jones||12.667||3||8||Kyle Larson||13.667||6|
|9||Joey Logano||13.077||13||9||Ryan Blaney||14.250||4|
|10||Dale Earnhardt||13.500||4||10||Daniel Suarez||14.333||3|
Lap Leader Stats
- A total of 81 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have led at least one lap at Auto Club Speedway.
- Jimmie Johnson leads the series in laps led at Auto Club Speedway with 980.
Top 10 Lap Leaders at Auto Club Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Led||Completed||% Led||Rank||Active Drivers||Led||Completed||% Led|
|1||Jimmie Johnson||980||5,706||17.2%||1||Jimmie Johnson||980||5,706||17.2%|
|2||Kyle Busch||807||4,699||17.2%||2||Kyle Busch||807||4,699||17.2%|
|3||Jeff Gordon||648||6,101||10.6%||3||Kurt Busch||298||5,950||5.0%|
|4||Matt Kenseth||571||5,786||9.9%||4||Kevin Harvick||237||5,874||4.0%|
|5||Tony Stewart||332||5,486||6.1%||5||Martin Truex Jr||233||3,777||6.2%|
|6||Mark Martin||324||5,069||6.4%||6||Denny Hamlin||147||3,785||3.9%|
|7||Kurt Busch||298||5,950||5.0%||7||Kyle Larson||110||1063||10.3%|
|8||Greg Biffle||297||4,783||6.2%||8||Brad Keselowski||81||2,198||3.7%|
|9||Kasey Kahne||269||4,740||5.7%||9||Joey Logano||57||2,688||2.1%|
|10||Kevin Harvick||237||5,874||4.0%||10||Clint Bowyer||47||4,113||1.1%|
- The most laps led in a single NASCAR Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway was 228 of the schedule 250 laps (91.2%) by Jimmie Johnson in 2008 – Johnson won the race.
- The most laps led in a single NASCAR Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway by a driver that didn’t win was 168 laps led by Greg Biffle who finished 42nd in 2006.
- Two of the NASCAR Cup Series winners at Auto Club Speedway won by leading just the final lap – Kevin Harvick in 2011 (started 24th) and Brad Keselowski in 2015 (started eighth).
Track / Specific Event
- Since the advent of electronic scoring in 1993, the closest margin of victory in the NASCAR Cup Series at Auto Club Speedway was the March 27, 2011 race won by Kevin Harvick with a margin of victory of 0.144 second over Jimmie Johnson.
Top 10 Closest Margins of Victory at Auto Club Speedway
|Margin of Victory||Race Winner||Runner-Up||Date|
|0.144||Kevin Harvick||Jimmie Johnson||March 27, 2011|
|0.214||Kyle Busch||Kyle Larson||March 23, 2014|
|0.231||Greg Biffle||Jimmie Johnson||February 27, 2005|
|0.263||Elliott Sadler||Kasey Kahne||September 5, 2004|
|0.270||Rusty Wallace||Jeff Gordon||April 29, 2001|
|0.300||Jeremy Mayfield||Bobby Labonte||April 30, 2000|
|0.338||Matt Kenseth||Jimmie Johnson||February 26, 2006|
|0.466||Tony Stewart||Clint Bowyer||October 10, 2010|
|0.554||Kyle Busch||Greg Biffle||September 4, 2005|
|0.620||Jimmie Johnson||Kurt Busch||April 28, 2002|
- There have been six finishes at Auto Club Speedway resulting in NASCAR Overtime:
|Date||Scheduled Laps||Actual Laps||NASCAR Overtime Laps||Winner||Runner-Up|
|3/26/2017||200||202||2||Kyle Larson||Brad Keselowski|
|3/20/2016||200||205||5||Jimmie Johnson||Kevin Harvick|
|3/22/2015||200||209||9||Brad Keselowski||Kevin Harvick|
|3/23/2014||200||206||6||Kyle Busch||Kyle Larson|
|2/26/2006||250||251||1||Matt Kenseth||Jimmie Johnson|
|9/4/2005||250||254||4||Kyle Busch||Greg Biffle|
- The 30 NASCAR Cup Series races at Auto Club Speedway have produced an average of 6.9 cautions per race and an average of 31.6 laps of caution per race.
- Seven of the last 10 series races have had a caution come out within the last 15 laps of regulation:
|Seasons||Last Caution During Regulation Came Out On Lap||Remaining Laps of Race||Finish Comments|
|2017||198||2||Went to Overtime|
|2016||200||0||Went to Overtime|
|2015||200||0||Went to Overtime|
|2014||199||1||Went to Overtime|
|2013||200||0||Ended under caution|
- Only once has a NASCAR Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway been shortened to due to weather.
|Date||Scheduled Laps||Actual Laps||Fewer Laps||Winner||Runner-Up|
|March 25, 2012||200||129||-71||Tony Stewart||Kyle Busch|
- The NASCAR Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway has only been postponed to another date due to weather once – the 2008 February race – Scheduled date: 2/24/08; Actual Date: 2/25/08.
- NASCAR Cup Series Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather at Auto Club Speedway twice – 1999 and 2008 (Spring) races.
- Two female drivers have competed at Auto Club Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series: Shawna Robinson and Danica Patrick.
- **Note: Robinson first attempted to qualify for a race at Auto Club Speedway on April 29, 2001 but failed to make the event.
NASCAR in California
- There has been a total of 204 NASCAR national series races among 17 different tracks in the state of California
- The first NASCAR Cup Series race held in California was at Carrell Speedway on April 8, 1951; the event was won by Marshall Teague.
California in NASCAR
- A total of 443 drivers in NASCAR national series history have their home state recorded as California.
- A total of 41 drivers with their home state recorded as California have won at least one race in NASCAR’s three national series.
- 26 of the 41 Californian drivers have won in the NASCAR Cup Series; led by Jeff Gordon with 93 wins.
— NASCAR —