NASCAR last visited Rockingham Speedway in 2013 for a standalone Camping Work Truck Series race. Since then the track has changed ownership and was awarded $9 million as part of the American Rescue Plan.
Track leaders tell Queen City News the money is now in their hands and equipment is on-site to prepare for a repave of the track this month. The schedule, weather permitting, calls for work to begin between October 24 and 26 with a scheduled completion of December 1.
Justin Jones, Vice President of Operations at Rockingham Speedway, says the goal is to attract major racing series like the CARS Tour, ARCA, Formula Drift and NASCAR.
“My goal when I first took this position was to rebuild the foundation of Rockingham in hopes of inserting Rockingham back in the foundation of NASCAR,” said Jones.
There are plans for the 0.526-mile “Little Rock”, built behind the backstretch of the larger track, to also see upgrades. Work will include adding lights, 5,000 seats, bathrooms and concession stands.
— Queen City News —