Jayski's NASCAR Archives

Rudd and the Wood Bros? UPDATE 2:

Rudd and the Wood Bros? UPDATE 2: The Ricky Rudd saga took another twist Friday, with persistent speculation in the Winston Cup garage that he would move to the Wood Brothers’ #21 team next season. Eddie Wood, co-owner of the team, did nothing to discourage such talk, saying he’d love to have Rudd in his Ford. “We’ve said from day one that we weren’t signing anybody until Ricky Rudd had signed somewhere,” Wood explained. Earlier speculation had Rudd driving a third car for owner Chip Ganassi in 2003 with sponsorship from Chevron/Texaco. But two news conferences to announce Rudd’s plans were canceled, leaving his future in limbo. A published report in National Speed Sport News on Friday indicated that Rudd would drive for Ganassi next season. A spokesperson for Ganassi denied the report, calling it “inaccurate and incorrect” in a statement.(CNNSI/AP)(8-17-2002) UPDATE: Ford officials, perhaps worried about seeing Rudd win races in a Dodge the way former Ford driver Bill Elliott has done twice in the past three weeks, appear to be making a late effort to keep Rudd in a Taurus. Since the Wood Brothers team is sponsored by Ford through its Motorcraft brand, Ford could provide money to help pay for Rudd’s services in the #21 car.(ThatsRacin.com)(8-18-2002) UPDATE 2: Ricky Rudd still hasn’t found a home for next season, but it seems Ford is making a strong run to keep him in its camp‹preferably in the Wood Brothers car. A deal that would have aligned Chevron’s Havoline brand and the #28 with Dodge team owner Chip Ganassi was canceled last week in the 11th hour, but Ganassi says Rudd remains at the top of his list for the third team he wants to form for next season. Announcements that Elliott Sadler will drive for Robert Yates in 2003, Steve Park will stay with Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Johnny Benson will be back with MBV thinned the field for Sadler’s replacement in the #21. But the Wood Brothers don’t seem worried. “When Ricky Rudd makes his decision, we won’t be far behind,” says Eddie Wood, who says Rudd would be “a perfect fit” for their team but that there are several other drivers in the mix.(Sporting News) AND Meanwhile, the Ricky Rudd saga continues, and yesterday’s story line was that Rudd now appears headed to the Wood brothers, with significant support from Ford Motor Company officials, worried about a defection to Dodge. However there are still hang-ups, one of them reportedly that Rudd wants a cap on the number of personal appearances he has to make. Rudd hasn’t been saying anything, but one unconfirmed report is that within the past week, he tried to jump-start negotiations with Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, after the Chip Ganassi option fell through Monday, but that Jones rebuffed Rudd’s efforts. Andy Petree says he has had calls in to Rudd but has not received any reply.(Winston Salem Journal)(8-19-2002)