- Ducks scheme for Stewart at Daytona: Tony Stewart will be piloting a stellar display of patriotism on the side panels of the #14 Bass Pro Shops/Ducks Unlimited Chevy at Daytona in July. In an industry-wide initiative titled NASCAR: An American Salute, Stewart and his team will partner with NASCAR to bring honor to our U.S. military, veterans, and their families (Lionel Racing). See an image of the scheme on the #14 Team Schemes page.(4-22-2014)
- Top 10 Driver Ratings at Richmond:
#11-Denny Hamlin………………………. 114.8
#18-Kyle Busch…………………………. 111.9
#4-Kevin Harvick………………………. 110.0
#15-Clint Bowyer………………………… 100.7
#14-Tony Stewart…………………………. 96.5
#24-Jeff Gordon………………………….. 96.0
#41-Kurt Busch……………………………. 92.2
#31-Ryan Newman……………………….. 91.6
#99-Carl Edwards………………………… 90.1
#48-Jimmie Johnson…………………….. 88.5
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2013 races (18 total) among active drivers at Richmond International Raceway.
Finishes, Top-15 Finishes, Average Running Position While on Lead Lap, Average Speed Under Green, Fastest Lap, Led Most Laps, Lead-Lap Finish. Maximum: 150 points per race.(NASCAR)
- New sponsor for Keseloswki? UPDATE at Richmond: an image of the #2 Team Penske Ford has been found on https://twitter.com/keselowski that show Brad Keselowski will drive a light blue car sponsored by Detroit Genuine Parts in a future race. A few readers also saw the same car in the Team Penske shop and sent images. See images of the scheme on the #2 Team Schemes page.(4-18-2014)
UPDATE: Keselowski #2 Ford sponsor is listed on the Richmond Entry list as Detroit Genuine Parts.(4-22-2014)
- Take 5 joins Germain Racing as an associate sponsor at Richmond: The #13 GEICO Chevy driven by Casey Mears will feature associate sponsor Take 5, Home of the 5-Minute Oil Change, for the Virginia 400 at Richmond International Raceway on Saturday, April 26th. The sponsorship is a great addition to the company’s celebration of "30 Years of the Fastest Oil Change on the Planet." The company slogan, "We Change Your Oil, Not Your Schedule" is a fun concept to throw into the context of the short-track, high-speed action of Richmond International Raceway. Take 5 Oil Change offers convenient drive-thru oil changes featuring liquid engineering in Castrol products. Take 5 oil changes come with a complementary beverage and the overall experience in Take 5’s "stay in your car", low pressure, high speed oil change environment. Take 5 Oil Change understands the value of the driver’s time and is competitively priced and the company’s certified manager and staff are there to serve seven (7) days a week.(Germain Racing)(4-22-2014)
- RCR Names Matt Shearer as Director, Business Development: Richard Childress Racing has named Matt Shearer as Director, Business Development for their 15-time championship organization, effective immediately. Shearer joins RCR from Churchill Downs, Inc. where he spent the past five years in their partnership development and sales departments. The graduate of the School of Management from Purdue University also has three years of sales experience in the National Football League working with the Oakland Raiders. He will work under the guidance of Rick Penn, Vice President of Business Development for RCR. "First and foremost, Matt is a great person and RCR is happy to have him join our team," Penn said. "He has experienced success at every step during his career and demonstrated he can adapt and create long-term, winning partnerships. We look forward to Matt’s contributions in bringing new partners into the RCR family." This will be Shearer’s first foray into motorsports, making the transition from one kind of horsepower to another."
"Richard Childress Racing is one of the most well-known and highly respected organizations in motorsports and I am honored to be part of the team," Shearer said. "NASCAR is a powerful marketing and business development platform and RCR’s focus on performance, its roster of blue-chip partners and a strong front office team make this a compelling opportunity. I look forward to getting started in my new role."(RCR)(4-22-2014)
- NASCAR Names Two New Hires as part of Growth Segment Marketing Team: NASCAR announced two new hires as part of the company’s commitment to implementing strategic growth plans for several critical segments, including youth, millennial and multicultural. Peter Jung joins NASCAR as Senior Director of Growth Segment Marketing, reporting into Managing Director of Brand and Consumer Marketing Kenny Mitchell. Jung, most recently from MasterCard International, served as vice president of global consumer marketing, responsible for youth segment strategies and programs designed to drive a greater preference for the MasterCard brand. In this role, he oversaw the delivery of global consumer insights, innovation and marketing plans that supported youth segment priorities in the U.S. and several international markets.
Nicole Smith will serve as Director of Growth Segment Marketing at NASCAR, reporting directly to Jung. Smith joins NASCAR from her most recent post at the San Diego Padres, where she served as Director of Brand Development. At the Padres, Smith was responsible for leading all marketing and branding activities with a focus on growing sales and attendance among key demographics including youth and multicultural segments. Smith previously worked at Hewlett-Packard where she explored international business models and the impact of digital innovation, and The Walt Disney Company, where she focused on marketing and branding initiatives. Smith holds a B.A. from UCLA and an MBA from the University of Michigan.(NASCAR)(4-22-2014)
- Richmond Notes and Facts – Tuesday: history, track:
· Originally known as the Atlantic Rural Exposition Fairgrounds, Richmond International Raceway held its first race in 1946 as a half-mile dirt track.
· The first NASCAR Sprint Cup race was April 19, 1953 won by Lee Petty.
· The spring 1964 race was run on a Tuesday night under temporary lighting.
· The track name changed to Virginia State Fairgrounds in 1967.
· The track surface was changed from dirt to asphalt between races in 1968.
· The track name changed to Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway in 1969.
· The track was re-measured to .542-mile for 1970.
· The track was rebuilt as a three-quarters-mile D-shaped oval following the Feb. 21, 1988 race.
· The first race under permanent lights was Sept. 7, 1991.
· The first season with both races as night races was 1999.
· There have been 115 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at Richmond International Raceway, one NSCS event from 1953 – 1958 and two races per year since 1959.(NASCAR)(4-22-2014)
- Hendrick pit coach is leaving for a job outside of racing UPDATE: One of the best pit coaches in NASCAR is leaving racing for work outside of the sport. As of Darlington two weeks ago, Hendrick Motor Sports pit coach Lance Munksgard will no longer be at HMS. Munksgard will be taking a new job in McGregor, Texas at Fourseventy Claim Management. Pit Talks talked with Coach Munksgard, he had this to say. "I was blessed to have been able to live a dream of working with the best mechanics and pit crew members in NASCAR over the years which was an unforgettable experience. I couldn’t have asked for a better organization than HMS to finish my NASCAR career. HMS is a truly professional company that starts from Mr. Hendrick down through the management, crew chiefs, and through the pit crews. It was a true pleasure to work with a strong coaching staff and pit crew members at HMS and watch them progress each week. I will truly miss the competition on pit road each week and wish all the guys on pit road the best of luck."(Pit Talks)(4-21-2014)
UPDATE: Greg Morin, who has been pit crew coach for the teams of Kasey Kahne and Jeff Gordon, and Chris Krieg, the assistant coach to Munksgard, will oversee the pit crews for Earnhardt and Johnson until a full-time replacement is hired.(MRN)(4-22-2014)
- First of three for Blaney: Ryan Blaney will return to the seat of the #22 SKF / Discount Tire Ford Mustang this weekend at Richmond. After a merry-go-round consisting of Blaney, Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano to start the season, Blaney will be behind the wheel for the next three NASCAR Nationwide Series races beginning at Richmond, followed by Talladega and Iowa. (Team Penske)(4-22-2014)
- Nelson Piquet, Jr moving to Global Rallycross: The newly-formed SH Racing Rallycross team announced it will contest the 2014 Red Bull Global Rallycross season with Formula 1 and NASCAR superstar Nelson Piquet Jr. behind the wheel. The team will campaign the #07 Ford Fiesta ST, a factory Ford car constructed by OMSE. The car will showcase the BSN N.O.-XPLODE livery at six of ten Red Bull GRC races this year, including the 2014 X Games Austin. Nelson Piquet Jr. will be moving to Global Rallycross after spending the past four years working his way up the NASCAR ranks, where he became the he first Brazilian to visit Victory Lane in the Nationwide Series by taking the checkered flag at Road America in 2012. Piquet Jr. is best known for his time in Formula 1 with the ING Renault team, starting as a test driver and graduating to a full-time ride. (Fuel Sports Managment)(4-22-2014)
- Theriault to drive 3 races for JRM: Austin Theriault will make his NASCAR Nationwide Series debut this season, as JR Motorsports has signed him to drive three races in the #5 Chevy. Theriault, a 20-year-old late model racer from Fort Kent, Maine, will make his debut on May 18 at Iowa Speedway, driving the #5 Chevy replete with primary branding from SPY, the eyewear brand behind Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s Signature 88 Collection and innovative Happy Lens" technology. The upper-rear quarter-panels of the car will carry the logo of Dirty Mo Radio, the internet home for Earnhardt Jr.-related podcasts throughout the NASCAR season. Nationwide Series races at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (July 12) and Kentucky Speedway (Sept. 20) will fill out Theriault’s three-race schedule. The seat of the #5 is filled by multiple drivers throughout the season. Theriault was the 2012 Maine Vintage Race Car Association’s Driver of the Year, and he made his NASCAR K&N Pro Series debut after winning "Maine Young Guns" inaugural competition in 2012. It was that same year he became a part-time developmental driver for Brad Keselowski Racing. Theriault’s Super Late Model success in 2013 included three Pro All Star Series wins.(JRM)(4-22-2014)
- Perdue Foods sponsoring Jeffrey Earnhardt at Richmond: Perdue Foods will be riding along with Jeffrey Earnhardt when he challenges Richmond International Raceway in Friday’s ToyotaCare 250 Nationwide Series race. JD Motorsports with Gary Keller announced the Perdue sponsorship Tuesday. The partnership renews a very special relationship for Perdue, which once worked with and sponsored Dale Earnhardt Sr., Jeffrey’s grandfather and one of NASCAR’s all-time greatest drivers.(Johnny David Motorsports)(4-22-2014)
- RCR to hit 1,000 starts in Richmond: This weekend’s race at Richmond International Raceway will mark RCR’s 1000th start in the Nationwide Series. RCR had its first Nationwide Series start in 1995 with Mike Dillon, father of reigning Nationwide Series champion Austin Dillon and current series driver Ty Dillon. Since that start in ’95, the organization has won four driver championships with Kevin Harvick in 2001 and 2004, Clint Bower in 2008 and Austin Dillon in 2013. The team also won two owner’s championships, doing so in 2003 and 2007. Collectively, RCR has won 66 NNS races, led 14,474 laps, qualified first 51 times, accumulated 327 top-fives and 551 top-10 finishes.(RCR)(4-22-2014)
- Suarez to debut with JGR in Richmond: Joe Gibbs Racing announces today that Daniel Suarez will make his NASCAR Nationwide Series debut at Richmond International Raceway on Friday, April 25 in the #20 Silent Circle/Telcel Toyota. Suarez is a part of the NASCAR Drive 4 Diversity program, as well as an alumnus of the NASCAR Next program. He is currently running a full season in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East for Revolution Racing and the NASCAR Toyota Series in Mexico. He opened this season with wins at New Smyrna Speedway and Daytona International Speedway in February, and is currently second in points following the first four races of the 2014 NASCAR K&N Series East season. He also has two wins in the first three races of the 2014 NASCAR Toyota Series season and currently leads the point standings. It will be a busy weekend for Suarez who will pull double duty at Richmond International Raceway competing in the K&N Pro Series East race immediately following the Nationwide Series race on Friday night. He will then drive back to Charlotte to board a plane to Monterrey, Mexico to compete in the NASCAR Toyota Series, hoping to make practice on Saturday afternoon before competing in the race on Sunday afternoon.(JGR)(4-22-2014)
- MadVapes returns with Mingus: Officials from Win-Tron Racing announced today that MadVapes, one of the web’s largest and most popular electronic cigarette provider since 2009 will return as the primary marketing partner for Sunoco Rookie of the Year candidate Mason Mingus in next month’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Headquartered in Mooresville, North Carolina, MadVapes is a premier provider of e-cig products, available online as well as their nationwide retail locations. The company partnered with Mingus and Win-Tron Racing in February at Daytona International Speedway, where a strong performance was thwarted by a late race incident.(Win-Tron Racing)(4-22-2014)
- RIR debuts Turn 3 Terrace: Richmond International Raceway will introduce the Turn 3 Terrace featuring the Outback Bloomin’ Zone, another amenity open to all fans, during the April 25-26 NASCAR race weekend. The Turn 3 Terrace, not surprisingly located outside of Turn 3, is open before AND during the TOYOTA OWNERS 400, from 2:00 p.m. until the checkered flag flies. Fans are invited to take the Richmond stroll around the track and take a break to enjoy:
· Outback Bloomin’ Zone featuring:
o Q&A with NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Kevin Harvick (3:45 p.m.)
o Harvick’s No. 4 Outback showcar for photo ops
o Fill up on tasty food that you’ve come to expect from Outback Steakhouse
o Free prizes
· RIR Memory Lane – take a walk through time and learn about many historical and monumental moments throughout RIR’s legacy that spans more than 60 years
· Decades Trackside Bar – a full-service bar and outdoor seating that will be a hot spot before the Green Flag flies and during NASCAR action on America’s Premier Short Track
Don’t forget – the Turn 3 Terrace featuring the Outback Bloomin’ Zone is open to all ticket holders before and during the April 26, TOYOTA OWNERS 400 at Richmond International Raceway. Go to rir.com or or call 866-455-7223 for tickets.(RIR)(4-22-2014)
- Earnhardt Jr. and Harvick Headline Hunt Brothers Pizza All-Star Pizza Party: Race fans who love pizza will get a special treat as Hunt Brothers Pizza is offering a VIP experience with NASCAR driver and owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. and NASCAR driver Kevin Harvick at the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race, on May 17, with the Hunt Brothers Pizza All-Star Pizza Party at Charlotte Motor Speedway. With the $69 ticket upgrade offered by Hunt Brothers Pizza, up to 1,000 fans will get exclusive access to a VIP party that includes Q & A sessions by the two drivers. Fans must have a ticket to the race to take advantage of the upgrade. At the party, fans will also be treated to Hunt Brothers Pizza, beverages and a goody bag with gifts from Hunt Brothers Pizza and Charlotte Motor Speedway. In addition, fans have the opportunity to win awesome door prizes, such as a stand up featuring Harvick and Earnhardt Jr. or tickets to the Coca-Cola 600. The promotion will run through May 16 or while supplies last. To get the ticket upgrade for the Hunt Brothers Pizza All-Star Pizza Party at the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race, fans may visit www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/huntbrothers or call the speedway ticket office at 1-800-455-FANS (3267).(CMS)(4-22-2014)