- Special scheme of Dale Jr. in All-Star race: During the Sprint All-Star race in May at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Hendrick Motorsports driver Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s #88 Chevy will carry the brand name of soda – Mountain Dew Baja Blast.(Lionel Racing), see image of the scheme on the #88 Team Schemes page.(4-29-2015)
- Jeff Gordon to Drive Indianapolis 500 Pace Car: Indiana racing legend and five-time Brickyard champion #24-Jeff Gordon will drive a Corvette Z06 pace car to kick off the 99th Running of the Indianapolis 500, on May 24 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Gordon, who grew up in nearby Pittsboro, Indiana, is no stranger to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He won the first NASCAR race in the history of the famed 2.5-mile oval – the 1994 Brickyard 400 – and has won four more times, including last year. His 2014 victory made him the first five-time Brickyard champion and the only five-time winner of a major race on the IMS oval. Gordon’s drive will mark the 13th time a Corvette has been the official pace car, dating to 1978, and the 26th time a Chevrolet has led the pack for "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing." Corvette has served as the pace car more than any other vehicle in the race’s history. "It’s great to have Jeff Gordon serve as this year’s pace car driver," said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet U.S. vice president of performance vehicles and motorsports. "He is a true champion who has earned the respect and admiration of competitors and race fans alike. It will be very special to have Jeff lead the Indy 500 field to the green flag, behind the wheel of the most powerful and capable production car ever from Chevrolet – on a day he’ll also be competing in the Coca Cola 600 NASCAR race at Charlotte."(IMS)(4-29-2015)
- Steve Byrnes remembered at memorial service: The late Steve Byrnes was eulogized in a memorial service Tuesday [April 28th] at Calvary Church in Charlotte, NC, where more than 500 mourners gathered to remember the longtime FOX Sports broadcaster, who passed away April 21 after a lengthy fight with cancer.(FoxSports)(4-29-2015)
- GoDaddy Shifting Out Of NASCAR, Danica needs a sponsor: GoDaddy Inc., the world’s largest technology provider dedicated to small businesses, is leaving NASCAR at the end of the 2015 season, as the company looks to diversify its marketing investment across more channels and regions. The move marks another milestone in GoDaddy’s marketing evolution, in which the company is balancing brand awareness with a more personalized data-driven marketing approach while expanding its global footprint. While GoDaddy is not renewing its primary sponsorship of the #10 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team of Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) and driver Danica Patrick, the company is negotiating to keep Patrick as a GoDaddy spokeswoman under a personal services agreement.
"We love Danica and all she does to empower and inspire people, especially women, which is why we are working to keep her in the GoDaddy family," said GoDaddy Chief Marketing Officer Phil Bienert. "We have the utmost respect for Stewart-Haas Racing, and they’ve been phenomenal partners. In fact, NASCAR has been a tremendous domestic platform to help us achieve an 81 percent aided brand awareness domestically, but at this stage, we need a range of marketing assets that reach a more globally-diverse set of customers. The fact Danica is having a record-setting season makes it tough to leave this motorsports sponsorship, without a doubt."
"GoDaddy has been an incredible partner for a very long time, almost nine years, and as I’ve said before, our brands have really grown up together," Patrick said. "It’s pretty cool, from a marketing perspective, that we helped GoDaddy build such strong brand awareness here in the U.S. I’m excited to work with GoDaddy on a personal level moving forward, but will miss having their bright green color on my racecar next year."
"Danica is a superstar. She’s making history in a male-dominated sport and that takes massive commitment, tenacity and passion," said GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving. "The way Danica approaches racing is remarkably similar to how our small business customers approach their work … they’re both chasing dreams in spite of huge obstacles. She’s an inspiration to go getters everywhere. She’s also helped inspire women around the world to dream big and keep working to make their dreams real. I would be thrilled if Danica stayed on as GoDaddy’s spokeswoman and I want to personally thank Stewart-Haas Racing and NASCAR for their help in building the GoDaddy brand domestically."
In recent years, Patrick has worked to promote GoDaddy’s online services for small business owners and helped with campaigns to fight breast cancer and attract more young women to study science, technology, engineering and math, also known as "STEM." "GoDaddy has been a great partner for us and for the sport overall," said Tony Stewart, SHR co-owner and teammate to Patrick. "There’s a lot of season left on the calendar and it would be great to go out with a win … that would really put the exclamation point on what has been a hugely successful relationship."(PR Newswire)(4-29-2015)
- Moffitt returns to the #34 at Kansas: NASCAR’s latest round of musical chairs left Brett Moffitt without a ride after the engines shut down Sunday in Richmond. But the Grimes [Iowa] native is prepared to get back in the game next weekend when they’re fired up again in Kansas. Moffitt confirmed Tuesday in a text message that he’ll be behind the wheel of the Front Row Motorsports #34 Ford for the May 9 Sprint Cup race at Kansas Speedway. It’ll be his second stint this season in the ride that was originally supposed to belong to David Ragan, who will take over the #55 next week after piloting the #18 Joe Gibbs Toyota for nine races in place of injured Kyle Busch. The latest flurry of changes came after Joe Gibbs Racing opted to put 18-year-old Erik Jones in the #18 for his first Cup start at Kansas. It’s unclear who will drive the #34 after next weekend’s race. Front Row Motorsports has not announced its driver lineup beyond this weekend’s race at Talladega.(Des Moines Register)(4-29-2015)
- Thirteen teams to test at Indianapolis TODAY: Thirteen NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams are scheduled to participate in an open test April 29 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Slated to take part in the one-day event are #24-Jeff Gordon (Hendrick Motorsports), #4-Kevin Harvick (Stewart-Haas Racing), #15-Clint Bowyer (Michael Waltrip Racing), #19-Carl Edwards (Joe Gibbs Racing), #9-Sam Hornish Jr. (Richard Petty Motorsports), #2-Brad Keselowski (Team Penske), #42-Kyle Larson (Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates), #13-Casey Mears (Germain Racing), #27-Paul Menard (Richard Childress Racing), #17-Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (Roush Fenway Racing), #78-Martin Truex Jr. (Furniture Row Racing), #21-Ryan Blaney (Wood Brothers Racing) and #23-J.J. Yeley (BK Racing). Gordon, Truex Jr., Hornish Jr. and Yeley are on tap to take part in a two-day Goodyear tire test at IMS Monday and Tuesday preceding the open test. According to IMS track officials, the Turn 2 viewing mounds (infield) and South Terrace grandstands will be open to fans. The Pit Stop Café next to the IMS Hall of Fame Museum will also be open during the test session.(NASCAR.com)(4-25/29-2015)
- #10 Celebrating Small Businesses: In honor of Small Business Week, which kicks off on Monday, May 4, Danica Patrick’s #10 GoDaddy Chevy will feature the hashtag #SmallBizForce on the hood and roof as well as the message "Happy Small Business Week," on the decklid. GoDaddy is a champion for small businesses and is using the hashtag to direct people to GoDaddy.com/Forcewhere they can learn about sci-fi related small businesses.(SHR)(4-29-2015)
- Schrader wins ARCA race at Salem: Ken Schrader held onto the lead during several late-race restarts and pulled away from the rest of the field to win Sunday’s Federated Auto Parts 200 at Salem Speedway. Schrader, 59, won for the first time at Salem since 1999 (and first ARCA win since 2013 at DuQuoin, IL), picking up his 18th all-time ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards victory (in 74 races). He led the final 138 laps. "Just winning anywhere feels good," Schrader said. "It had been so long since we’ve been able to win here. We’ve had a good car here several times, but for whatever reason we didn’t win it." Driving the #22 Cunningham Motorsports Ford, Kyle Weatherman charged in front of Dominic Ursetta on the final lap to finish second. Fifteen-year-old J.J. Haley was fourth in the Braun Auto Chevrolet and Austin Wayne Self finished fifth in the AM Technical Solutions Ford.(ARCA Racing)(4-29-2015)
- Jimmie Johnson Foundation Blue Bunny Helmet of Hope winners announced: The Jimmie Johnson Foundation announced today the five recipients of this year’s $25,000 Blue Bunny Helmet of Hope grants. The Blue Bunny Helmet of Hope is a program that allows fans and consumers across the country to nominate not-for-profit (501c3) organizations that support K-12 public education for the chance to win one of five (5) available grant packages.
The 5 winners are:
9 Dots in Los Angeles
BackPack Beginnings in Greensboro, North Carolina
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Siouxland in Sioux City, Iowa
Carolina Raptor Center in Charlotte, North Carolina
The Be Kind People Project in Phoenix
In addition to a $25,000 grant, each of the five winners will receive a Blue Bunny ice cream party and special recognition on Johnson’s race helmet during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race on June 7, 2015 at Pocono Raceway. To date, the Blue Bunny Helmet of Hope program has contributed more than $685,000 to 76 different charities.(JJF)(4-29-2015)
- Conquest Completion Services sponsoring Clements: Jeremy Clements Racing is teaming up with Conquest Completion Services, LLC this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway. Clements will wheel the #51 Conquest Chevy Camaro SS in the Winn Dixie 300 on Saturday afternoon. Along with welcoming back sponsors BRT Extrusions, Kevin Whitaker Chevrolet and associate sponsor Robert Ianuario Attorney At Law. Conquest Completion Services based in Bossier City, LA and founded in 2014 offers oilfield and rental services. With their backgrounds in E&P, production, well servicing, directional drilling, thru tubing, and most importantly 30+ years of coil tubing the knowledge of their products and understanding of your wellbore environment make their team capable of conquering any of today’s challenges.(Jeremy Clements Racing)(4-29-2015)
- New team to debut at Talladega UPDATES: Deese Racing Enterprises has been issued the #35 in the Xfinity Series by NASCAR and have begun operations in Mooresville, NC. The team will debut the #35 Chevy Camaro at Talladega on May 2nd with plans to compete in the full remaining schedule. Sponsorship agreements are being finalized at this time and announcements regarding sponsors and driver lineup are coming soon.(Deese Racing Enterprises)(4-15-2015)
UPDATE: Conyers, Georgia native Chris Cockrum returns to the track with a new team for both himself and the NASCAR Xfinity Series. The 28-year-old will run the #35 Advanced Communications Group/Remembering Captain Herb Emory Chevy Camaro in Saturday’s Winn Dixie 300 at Talladega Superspeedway. Cockrum and his sponsor Advanced Communications Group are partnering with Xfinity series team owner Duane Deese. Cockrum’s crew chief and mentor of sorts, Jeff Spraker, has been tasked with the complete preparation and set up of this car and will oversee all track activities.(WSB Radio Race Blog), see an image of the car on the #35 team paint schemes page.(4-27-2015)
UPDATE 2: This weekend, Deese Racing Enterprises will bring some California beach to the high banks of Talladega as Southern California-based Old Guys Rule partners with the team. The lifestyle clothing and accessories company that celebrates the lifestyles and passions for Old Guys everywhere will make its first appearance in NASCAR in this weekend’s Xfinity Series Winn-Dixie 300. While the roots of Old Guys Rule lies in the surfing lifestyle of Southern California, many of the designs and graphics speak directly to the racing enthusiast.
AND Deese Racing Enterprises welcomes Nature Blast as the newest addition to the teams sponsor lineup. Nature Blast has an assortment of environmentally friendly cleaning products for both the home and professional use. Nature Blast’s products are made in America and have been given the ECO logo as a certified green product which focuses on safety and health issues in the home and professional fields. Nature Blast products and company are cutting edge offering low toxicity and VOC’s in their bio-degradable formulas.(Deese Racing Enterprises)(4-29-2015)
- Benny Gordon driving the #17 at Talladega: NASCAR XFINITY Driver, Benny Gordon has announced he will make his first start of the 2015 season this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway in the Winn-Dixie 300. Gordon will be driving the #17 VSI – Somerset Regional Water Resources (SRWR) Toyota Camry. Gordon and Larry Mostoller have teamed up in establishing Performance Energy Group, which is the team supporting Gordon’s race effort this weekend. Mostoller is also the CEO of SRWR, serving as Gordon’s primary marketing partner. Benny Gordon is no stranger to speedway racing, considering he has made two starts at Daytona Int’l Speedway in the ARCA Racing Series in 2011 and 2014, capturing a top-10 finish. He has also made one start at Daytona’s 2.5 mile track in the NASCAR XFINITY Series during 2012, finishing 12th.(Performance Energy Group)(4-29-2015)
- Sweet Home Alabama Has A Lot to Offer with Food, Destinations: Talladega Superspeedway is all about the fan experience, making sure that when families come onto the property, they get the best of everything – the greatest racing on the planet with limitless amenities to make their visit a fun and memorable one. The Alabama Tourism Department has come up with an easy way for travelers to do this and more while visiting the great state of Alabama.
When fans make their journey to the GEICO 500 and Winn-Dixie 300 this weekend during their trip to the state of Alabama, they will find that "Sweet Home Alabama" has lots more to offer in addition to NASCAR’s Most Competitive Track, one of our country’s top sporting venues. From delicious food delicacies to incredible road-trip destinations, Alabama has it all. Fans are encouraged to slow down, enjoy the trip, explore the cities and towns, experience the culinary side of the state and stay a little longer or come back sooner.
Alabama is rich in tradition, especially when it comes to our barbecue, so much in fact the Alabama Tourism Department has deemed 2015 as "The Year of Alabama BBQ." The tourism campaign focuses on Alabama’s barbecue heritage, award-winning restaurants and talented pit masters. Highlights of the campaign include the launching of their website alabamabbq.com, a new smart phone app that alerts users when they are getting close to one of the state’s top barbecue restaurants, a photo exhibit of legendary pit masters, a new documentary film about the state’s barbecue culture and the announcement of the first inductees into the Alabama Barbecue Hall of Fame.
The website www.alabamabbq.com helps travelers discover some of the state’s best places for ribs, pulled pork and chicken barbecue. The site features a barbecue themed road trip and has a calendar listing of top barbecue events across the state. Links can also be found on the website to the new smart phone app "Alabama BBQ Trail" which can be downloaded for free and has information on more than 75 barbecue restaurants in 52 cities across the state. The app has background information on each of the restaurants and their best dishes. It will also allow users to set an alert so their phone will notify them when they are within 20 miles or less of one of their chosen barbecue spots.
Rest assured, however, there are other impeccable mouth-watering dishes that Alabama has to offer, and one can find those easily with the "100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die" smart phone app. Discover the food scene like a local, whether you’re an Alabama native or a visitor to the Sweet Home State, plan dozen of road trips to any of Alabama’s signature cities and get the authentic experience. The app allows users to browse by city, cuisine or restaurant and you can bookmark their selection of favorite dishes to track travels, as well as submit photos and reviews of the famous dishes. No matter what part of the state someone is in, there are opportunities to take in the diverse culinary adventure. Learn more by visiting: www.ilovealabamafood.com. The official "Alabama Road Trips" smart phone app is an easy, interactive guide which makes it simple to plan an unforgettable road trip with friends and family to discover Alabama’s countless destinations, from the sugar-white beaches and world class golf to some of the most historic civil rights landmarks. It helps users live like a local by giving search options for road trips catered to specific interests such as dining, shopping, history, arts, outdoor activities and much more. So, the message for fans attending this weekend’s exciting events at Talladega Superspeedway is simple. Enjoy the races, and take in all of what Alabama has to offer. For additional travel information, visit www.alabama.travel. For ticket information, call 1-877-Go2-DEGA or visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com.(TSS)(4-29-2015)