- Congrats: to Rea and Jimmy White on the birth of their son. Zane Marshall White was born at 3:45pm on April the 29th. He weighed in at 7lbs 12oz and was 20″ long. Rea’s an Associate Editor at Winston Cup Scene and Jimmy works for Camp and Associates and handles PR for the Raybestos Rookie of the Year programs.(4-29-2003)
- Dale Earnhardt Day: North Carolina Governor Mike Easley has proclaimed April 29, 2003 as Dale Earnhardt Day in North Carolina to honor the former NASCAR driver and Kannapolis native.(NBC 17)(4-29-2003)
UPDATE: Taking the lead of North Carolina Governor Mike Easley, several states have proclaimed April 29th "Dale Earnhardt Day", honoring the birthday of the seven-time NASCAR Winston Cup Champion who lost his life of the final turn of the 2001 Daytona 500. In addition to North Carolina, four other states passed proclaimations in the past several days. South Carolina, Florida, Texas and Virginia have all joined in honoring the man who rose to worldwide acclaim from humble beginnings.(DEI PR) also the state of Alabama has done the same.(4-29-2003)
- Buck Baker to be inducted: NASCAR great, Buck Baker will be honored as eight athletes are inducted into the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame on May 29 in Columbia, SC. The inductees are NBA star Xavier McDaniel; NFL players Kevin Long, J.R. Wilburn and Perry Tuttle; Clemson basketball star Randy Mahaffey; Clemson track athlete Tina Krebs; NASCAR great Buck Baker; and Marion duPont Scott, who is credited with saving the Carolina Cup from extinction in the 1970s and South Carolina track coach Curtis Frye will be given a special achievement award.(Charleston Post and Courier)(4-29-2003)
- Dale Jr in Rolling Stone: Dale Earnhardt Jr. is among a distinguished list of guest commentators in a special edition of Rolling Stone Magazine available now. The May 15, 2003 issue of Rolling Stone marks the 35th anniversary of the magazine, and includes a series of essays about a variety of American icons. Dale Jr. offers his personal insights about why the Corvette is a true American classic. He joins a list of special commentaries by Jay Leno, Cameron Crowe, Bob Costas and a host of other experts on topics as diverse as the American Flag, Elvis Presley, the Fender Stratocaster and uh… Homer Simpson.(fingerprint inc./Anheuser-Busch NASCAR Publicity)(4-29-2003)
- Andrews Proud: #99 crew chief Paul Andrews was showing some pride from across the country Sunday evening after his son, Busch North Series rookie Tim Andrews, scored a fourth-place finish in that NASCAR Touring division’s opener, the Freedom 150 at Lee (N.H.) USA Speedway.(NASCAR.com)(4-29-2003)
- Celebrate Dale Earnhardt’s Birthday at Dale Earnhardt – Tuesday, April 29th Dale Earnhardt Incorporated will continue the tradition that its co-founder seven time NASCAR champion Dale Earnhardt started 51 years ago. On April 29th, DEI will celebrate at the company headquarters in Mooresville, NC, the birth day of NASCAR’s American hero, Dale Earnhardt. The party starts at 8:00 am with live remote on WKKT 96.9 Kat Country and continues until 9:00 pm with the Tim Clark Band closing the day’s event along with many activities throughout the day honoring this special celebration. For only the second time since building the premier racing facility, race fans will be allowed behind the walls of the exclusive building, as Teresa Earnhardt shares some of Dale’s private possession including a display of the legends Classic Car Collection. During last years inaugural Dale Earnhardt Day some 12,000 fans toured the property as many of the seven time champions race cars were on display in the interior showroom. This year a new display featuring the Music interest and keep sakes that Dale and Teresa collected over the years from the many friends in the music industry can be seen in the public showroom including guitars, albums, stage outfits, and autographed sheet music, along with special cars in the interior showroom can be seen throughout the day.
Other activities during the day will include:
o Special appearance by Dale Jr. and Steve Park live on stage with FOX’s Totally NASCAR at 2:00 pm
o Kerry Earnhardt at 8:30 am on Kat Kountry
o Free one year subscriptions to DaleEarnhardtInc.com’s DEInsider will be given away every hour by registering at the DaleEarnhardtInc.com display. Join the DEInsider at DEI during the day and receive a copy of the book from Dale Jr’s first season racing in NASCAR. (1999)
o Complimentary 4 x 6 photos taken with the Dale Earnhardt Tribute Concert Chevrolet that Dale Earnhardt Jr. drove to Victory earlier this month at Talladega Superspeedway.
o Special Appearance by Teresa Earnhardt
o Dale Earnhardt Foundation Raffle for an exclusive Dale Earnhardt Tribute Concert Guitar, Concert Tickets and Die Cast Cars.
o Sign the message board to our adopted Troop- 2nd Marine Division /2nd Tank Battalion from Camp Lejeune, NC.
o Watch Dale Earnhardt’s past championship videos, along with many commercial and music videos featuring Dale Earnhardt Inc. driver’s and team members.
o Food and drinks will be available through Domino’s Pizza and Poppa’s Hot Dog’s.
Free shuttle service will begin at 9:00 am from the Wingate Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites and Fairfield Inn located in Mooresville, NC off of Interstate 77 at exit 36. Come join us at Dale Earnhardt Inc. and be a part of the celebration of our American hero. For further information on the days activities go to www.DaleEarnhardtInc.com.(PR) and past info on my Dale Earnhardt Tribute.(4-29-2003)
- New Rigs for Petty’s: Freightliner Trucks has presented five spanking-new Freightliner Coronado heavy-duty trucks to Petty Enterprises. Three of the Coronado trucks are assigned to Petty Enterprises race teams, hauling Dodge Intrepid R/T racecars and equipment to NASCAR’s Winston Cup races nationwide. The other two will see duty at various tracks around the country where Petty crews conduct tests on their cars and equipment. According to Mark Lampert, senior vice president of sales and marketing for Freightliner Trucks, the trucks are being furnished as part of a sponsorship agreement with Petty Enterprises. Each Coronado is accessorized and custom-painted with the distinctive graphics of the individual sponsors of Kyle Petty’s #45 Georgia Pacific Dodge, John Andretti’s #43 General Mills Dodge and Christian Fittapaldi’s #44 Dodge. Freightliner Trucks is a division of Freightliner LLC, headquartered in Portland, Ore. Freightliner Trucks produces and markets Class 5-8 trucks and is a company of DaimlerChrysler.(Truckinginfo.com)(4-29-2003)
- The Winston Open Fast Facts:
Location: Lowe’s Motor Speedway, Concord, N.C.
Date: Saturday, May 17, 2003, Time: 7:30 p.m. (EDT)
Eligibility: All NASCAR Winston Cup Series teams that competed in a NASCAR Winston Cup Series event in 2002 or 2003, and are not already eligible for The Winston, may compete in The Winston Open.
Length: The Winston Open will consist of 30 laps, 45 miles, and will be run in two segments-20 laps and 10 laps. The top-14 finishers in the first 20-lap segment will advance to the final segment. There will be a five-minute break following the first segment during which teams may change tires and make chassis adjustments without losing track position. All restarts in both segments will be double-file and only green-flag laps in the final segment will count.
Purse: $870,000 (event record); Winner’s share: $47,200 plus a starting spot in The Winston
2002 Winner: Jeremy Mayfield, #19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge
Qualifying: The better of two qualifying laps will determine a driver’s official qualifying speed for The Winston Open. Qualifying is scheduled for Friday, May 16, at 6:05pm/et
2002 Pole Sitter: Jeremy Mayfield, Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge, 29.454 seconds, 183.337mph
Radio/Television: Motor Racing Network (MRN) will broadcast The Winston Open live to its affiliate radio stations beginning at 7:00pm/et. Cable station FX will televise the race live with coverage set to begin with a pre-race show at 7:00pm/et.
Tickets: Tickets for Lowe’s Motor Speedway’s May 17 events, which include The Winston, The Winston Open, the EasyCare Vehicle Service Contracts 100 and Miller Time Live Rock ‘n’ Racing featuring the Goo Goo Dolls, start at just $21 and can be obtained by calling 1-800-455-FANS.(LMS PR) and see my 2003 The Winston page. (4-29-2003)
- More Stamina for the #23: Stacker 2 and Stamina RX co-sponsor the #23 entry for Scott Wimmer. Originally, the sponsors were going to switch primary status at the mid-season point, however, Stamina RX will take its first turn as the primary sponsor on the #23 Chevy this weekend at Richmond.. An added bonus, since it is a night race, the car will carry reflective decals.(Bill Davis Racing PR)(4-29-2003)
- Carpenter Group Racing Response to Rose’s suspension, he will appeal: Howard Carpenter, owner of Carpenter Group Racing – which has fielded the #57 Dodge Ram in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series with Brian Rose behind the wheel has issued the following statement regarding the suspension by NASCAR of Brian Rose:
"NASCAR has certain procedural obligations to which every member agrees as a condition of NASCAR membership. Brian, while attempting to meet these obligations, did indeed make a procedural misstep. We believe NASCAR acted in a manner that is consistent with their policies and rules in issuing the suspension. Brian is appealing the suspension as outlined in the NCTS rulebook under Section 12-1. We believe that NASCAR will give fair consideration to Brian¹s appeal and will look objectively at the events surrounding the suspension. Brian¹s goal is to have the suspension lifted and his racing privileges reinstated as soon as NASCAR feels is prudent. Brian has shown tremendous passion for racing in the NCTS. His will and racing talents have been tested this year as he has moved into the position of racing the ‘old-fashioned’ way: with very little money, limited equipment, and part-time crew. Even so, his two starts this season have resulted in a 14th-place finish at Darlington Raceway and a 24th at Martinsville Speedway, both admirable finishes on any budget. As the matter is being appealed, we will refrain from issuing any comments regarding the nature of the infraction."(Carpenter Group Racing PR)(4-29-2003)