NASCAR Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors
February 2011 Archives
- Monday Rundown — Racing Resources:
*Kyle Busch won the Lucas Oil 150 at Phoenix International Racway. It was his 25th Truck series win in his 87th start. His last win was at Homestead in November 2010.
*Busch posted his 50th top-5 finish. It marked the seventh straight season he has won in the Truck series.
*Busch has won seven of his past 11 Truck series starts. In Friday’s race, he led 107 of the 150 laps, the most of all drivers.
*Kyle Busch Motorsports scored its ninth series victory and first win at Phoenix.
*Toyota posted its 78th series victory and fourth Phoenix win.
*Crew chief Eric Phillips posted his 19th Truck series win. His 19 wins ranks fourth all time, only one win behind Randy Goss for third. It was his ninth series win with Busch.
*Clint Bowyer (second) finished first or second in his past two Truck races at Phoenix.
*Ron Hornaday Jr. (third) notched his 13th top-10 finish at Phoenix in his 17th start there, tying Jack Sprague for most top-10s there among all drivers.
*Johnny Sauter (fourth) has finished in the top five in all three of his Truck starts at Phoenix.
*Austin Dillon (fifth) finished in the top 10 in both of his series starts at Phoenix.
*Cole Whitt (sixth) scored a career-best finish in his third start.
*Matt Crafton (seventh) leads the points for only the third time in his Truck series career.
*Justin Johnson (eighth) made his series debut.
*The race featured only one lead change, a series record at Phoenix for fewest lead changes.(ESPN.com)(2-28-2011)
- Cambensy announces 2011 plans as JJCR development driver: Cody Cambensy of Tucson, Arizona is happy to announce his partnership with Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing (JJCR) in 2011. Cambensy who made his first career NASCAR start in the Camping World Truck Series last October at Martinsville went on to compete at his home track, Phoenix International Raceway, in the K&N Pro Series, in November. Cambensy will be piloting a Ford F-150 for JJCR in select Camping World Truck series events adding to his impressive resume. Cambensy is pleased to announce his continued partnership with Motor Whiskey, MasterCraft Safety, and Crime Guard Security Screens. The young driver will focus on gaining respect from veteran drivers in the truck series and his main focus is to gain experience and needed approvals from NASCAR for the bigger tracks. In order to further his racing knowledge, he will be attending NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series races with JJCR when he is not in the driver’s seat. He is expected to announce his first race event of 2011 soon.(WhoWon.com)(2-25-2011)
- Congrats to Joe & Meagan Denette: As if winning the lottery and owning a new race team were not enough, Joe Denette, President of Joe Denette Motorsports, and wife Meagan have something else to be thankful for. The couple welcomed their first child, Bentley Austin Denette, to the world today at 1:37 p.m. Bentley is 7 pounds, 1 ounce and 20.5 inches. Both mother and baby are doing well.(Joe Denette Motorsports PR)(2-25-2011)
- Goodyear Tire Notes: Teams in all three NASCAR series will run the same tire codes at Phoenix this week, though the Sprint Cup and Nationwide tires will be branded “Goodyear Eagle,” while the Camping World Truck tires will be branded “Goodyear Wrangler” . . . this is the first time NASCAR teams have run this combination of left- and right-side tires . . . this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear tire test at Richmond last October . . . Sprint Cup and Nationwide teams will also race on this set-up at Richmond this coming April . . . compared to what was run at Phoenix last season, this left-side tire features a construction change, while this right-side tire features a softer compound . . . both changes are designed to give the cars and trucks more grip . . . as on most NASCAR mile-tracks, teams will not run inner liners in their tires at Phoenix.[Complete tire specs are posted on the Phoenix Race page.](Goodyear PR)(2-25-2011)
- Ren enjoying new role with KBM: Excerpt from Charlotte Observer story: From racing dirt tracks in the Midwest to sitting high atop Kyle Busch’s pit box in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, Mooresville resident Rick Ren has come full circle in racing. Ren, General Manager and Director of Competition for Kyle Busch Motorsports, is the all-time winningest crew chief in truck series history. Ren’s record-setting number of truck series wins stands at 27 to go along with two championships as a crew chief. Despite the success, when another opportunity came calling, Ren gave up being a crew chief after the 2009 season with Kevin Harvick Inc. to take what he said was a great opportunity at Kyle Busch Motorsports. Ren now wears a number of different hats with KBM, but loves the challenge. “I’m dealing with sponsors, attorneys and all the little things that come with being a GM of a company,” said Ren. Ren designed the race chassis and bodies, his forte over the years, while also directing his crew at the track. Success came quickly for Ren in his new role. Last year, Kyle Busch claimed the truck series owner’s championship, setting the bar early for what would be expected season after season from KBM. [Read the entire article at Charlotte Observer/Mooresville News].(2-24-2011)
- NASCAR penalizes #15 team for violations at Daytona: UPDATE VAR statement: NASCAR has issued penalties and fines to the No. 15 team that competes in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, as a result of rule infractions found during post-race inspection Feb. 18 at Daytona International Speedway. The No. 15 truck driven by Michael Waltrip was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-J (any determination by NASCAR Officials that the race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules); and 20B-3.1.2E (rear spoiler did not meet specifications in post-race inspection) of the 2011 NASCAR Rule Book. As a result, crew chief Doug Howe has been fined $25,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31. Owner Billy Ballew has been penalized with the loss of 25 championship owner points.(NASCAR Integrated marketing Communications)(2-23-2011)
UPDATE: Vision Aviation Racing released a statement regarding the post-race penalty issued to the No.15 truck after last week’s race in Daytona. VAR General Manager, Tom Davis said, “While we are disappointed to learn of the penalty, we acknowledge the rear spoiler failed to pass post-race inspection due to a parts failure on the track in the last lap at Daytona. We are very much looking forward to a strong showing this weekend in Phoenix.”(2-24-2011)
- Daytona images added: Added 44 new images following the race event at Daytona International Speedway. Check them all out via the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Paint Schemes page.(2-24-2011)
- Mattioli set to start at Phoenix: Chase Mattioli will make his 2011 debut, his second series start, this week in the Lucas Oil 150 at Phoenix International Raceway. At Phoenix, Mattioli will be using the #10 points and number with the owner listed as Jennifer Jo Cobb. Under the leadership of Chase Mattioli, Charlie Vest and Cal Boprey, the CollegeComplete.com Ford of Chase Mattioli Racing beat the odds and earned a 20th place starting birth in the February 18th NextEra Energy Resources 250, a NASCAR Camping World Truck event. Suffering from a gastro intestinal infection, Chase Mattioli, took himself out of the truck [#99 Ford] at Daytona and put in Chad McCumbee. Unfortunately, mechanical issues ended the day early. Joining CollegeComplete.com on Chase’s Ford at Phoenix will be Grand Canyon University and Anthem College. Chase’s longtime supporters will also be featured on the truck at Phoenix including Advance Payment Services, Green Tree Environmental Consultants, Howard University’s WHUR 96.3 FMand Papillon& Moyer Construction.(Chase Mattioli PR)(2-24-2011)
- Crafton helping Pastrana learn tracks: UPDATE more from Crafton: Eleven-time X Games Gold medal winner Travis Pastrana will drive the No. 99 Boost Mobile Toyota in Thursday’s K&N Pro Series West race at Phoenix International Raceway. Pastrana finished sixth in his Jan. 29 NASCAR debut in the Toyota All-Star Showdown at Irwindale Speedway. The Maryland native plans to make several appearances in K&N East and West Series before his July 30 Nationwide Series debut in Indianapolis. Longtime NASCAR truck series driver Matt Crafton has served as a tutor for Pastrana since beginning the NASCAR program. Pastrana on Matt Crafton: “Matt Crafton has been a tremendous amount of help. He is kind of like my security blanket. He educates me on the best way to get around the race track. In Irwindale he was also my spotter and that was so much help. He told me when I was over driving the corners or when a lap looked pretty good. He also helped me stay out of a bunch of wrecks. Matt and I just clicked from the time we meet at New Smyrna Speedway.”(Pastrana-Waltrip Racing PR)(2-22-2011)
UPDATE: Crafton on being ‘coach’ — “Wow, that just sounds strange hearing it! I don’t think I’m actually called ‘coach’ anywhere…at least not by Travis! I’m the driver coach for Travis Pastrana in his K&N Pro Series races, so I’ll be helping him this week. They race on Thursday afternoon, and I think he’s really ready. It has been a lot of fun to help him get comfortable in the stock cars. We have a lot of practical jokes happening at the tests and the tracks, but he’s a serious racer. He’s getting this down pretty quickly, so look for him to be a serious competitor in the Nationwide Series this year. Hopefully, I’ve helped teach him some things!” Crafton returns to his favorite racetrack – Phoenix International Raceway – this week with the Menards/Ideal Door team. It’s his favorite for a reason – his 11th visit in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series comes with a lot of street credibility. In his ten appearances, he’s had three top 5 finishes and four top 10s. In 2010, he started second and finished fourth.(ThorSport Racing PR)(2-23-2011)
- Germain.com returns to Bodine’s #30 at PIR:Todd Bodine returns with the No. 30 Germain.com Tundra for the week’s Lucas Oil 150 at Phoenix International Raceway. He and the Germain Racing crew also have a new game plan for racing at this desert venue. “We are going to Phoenix with a little bit different plan. We tested at Disney World in the off season. The track isn’t close enough that we learned anything specifically for Phoenix International Raceway, but we learned some things that should help us in general,” explained Bodine. “We’ve run well at Phoenix in the past. We have one win there. Over the last couple years, we haven’t run really well. We’ve kind of gone away from our setup and we aren’t sure what’s happened. This time, we’re going there with a different philosophy and our best Germain.com Tundra hoping to see if we can make that work.” Bodine has raced seven Truck Series races at Phoenix International Raceway. All have been behind the wheel of the No. 30 with Germain Racing and the pairing has produced one win, three top-five and four top-ten finishes. This Friday night, he’ll compete in his 167th Truck Series race when he fires up the Germain.com Tundra for the 2nd race of the 2011 season. Bodine has 729 NASCAR career starts to date.(Germain Racing PR)(2-23-2011)
- K&N on board with Paludo at Phoenix: After sponsoring Timothy Peters’ No. 17 Tundra at Daytona last weekend, K&N will be on Paludo’s No. 7 Toyota this weekend. K&N Engineering is the inventor and leading innovator of reusable cotton gauze filter technology for automotive applications. The 27-year-old Brazilian will make his first start at the 1-mile Phoenix International Raceway. But Paludo did make two starts at the 1.058-mile New Hampshire Motor Speedway in the K&N Pro Series last season, finishing fourth in the second race there. Plus, Paludo seems to have a knack for adapting quickly to new race tracks, as he has three top-10 finishes in only five career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts. Miguel Paludo’s fourth-place finish at Daytona propelled him to second place in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series points standings, two behind the leader. Paludo is also atop the Sunoco Rookie of the Year standings after earning Rookie of the Race honors at Daytona.(Red Horse Racing PR)(2-23-2011)
- Busy schedule ahead for Carmichael: Ricky Carmichael will make his third NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start at PIR in the Lucas Oil 150. Turner Motorsports and Monster Energy are pleased to welcome Bashas’ and QT Kitchens to the lower-rear quarter panels of the No. 4 Monster Energy Silverado. QT Kitchens, located inside select QuikTrip locations, offers fresh sandwiches, wraps, fruit, salads and pastries. Bashas’ is a family-owned grocery store chain with more than165 stores serving every county in Arizona, in addition to locations in California and New Mexico. Following Friday night’s Lucas Oil 150, Carmichael will head to Atlanta for the Monster Energy AMA Supercross at the Georgia Dome. Next weekend, Carmichael will head back to Daytona where he will be in the booth for SPEED’s coverage of the annual Daytona Supercross. The second annual Ricky Carmichael Daytona Amateur Supercross event is scheduled for Sun., March 6 with the Ricky Carmichael University slated for Monday, March 7. The Ricky Carmichael Daytona Amateur Supercross Championship, produced by MX Sports, offers an opportunity for amateurs to compete on some of the most prestigious motorsports grounds in the world. [More information available at, MXSports.com.] Run in conjunction with the Daytona Supercross, the event marks the only chance during the year for riders to take lessons from the Greatest of All-Time.(Turner Motorsports PR)(2-23-2011)
- Peters to carry GearWrench colors at Phoenix: Timothy Peters will carry the GearWrench colors on the #17-Red Horse Racing Toyota. GearWrench is a registered trademark of Apex Tool Group, one of the largest hand tool manufacturers in the world based in Sparks, Md. Peters has made two starts at the 1-mile Phoenix International Raceway, both with Red Horse Racing. He improved on his 16th-place finish in 2009 to come home 13th (after starting sixth) in 2010. He has completed every lap at Phoenix. Peters also has a Nationwide Series start at Phoenix, finishing 13th in 2007 with Richard Childress Racing.(Red Horse Racing Pr)(2-23-2011)
- Skinner to attempt Phoenix Cup race: UPDATE double-duty for Skinner: Fresh off a solid Top-15 finish in Daytona, FAS Lane Racing is pleased to announce that it has partnered with Gainey Suites Hotel for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix International Raceway this weekend. The Scottsdale area hotel will be home for the FAS Lane Racing team while being featured on the No. 32 Ford driven by veteran driver Mike Skinner in the running of the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500. Mike Skinner will make his debut with FAS Lane Racing in Phoenix as he climbs behind the wheel of the No. 32 Ford. The veteran NASCAR driver has over 500 starts in NASCAR’s top three series and was the 1995 Champion in the inaugural season of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.(Fas Lane Racing PR)(2-21-2011)
UPDATE: Skinner will be busy this weekend at PIR, competing in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events. Piloting the No. 45 Cushman / Paytas Homes Toyota Tundra in the NCWTS, Skinner will attempt to make his 230th NCWTS race. In the NSCS on Sunday, Skinner will debut with the new team, FAS Lane Racing, in the No. 32 NSCS Ford. The No. 45 Toyota Tundra will once again have Cushman on board as a sponsor. The No. 45 Toyota Tundra added a new partner in Paytas Homes at the event at DIS. The Florida-based organization will be on the truck again at PIR this weekend. Skinner is a seasoned veteran at the one-mile Avondale, Ariz., track. In the NCWTS, Skinner has 11 starts, two wins, six top-fives and 10 top-10s.(Eddie Sharp Racing PR)(2-23-2011)
- Earnhardt making Phoenix debut: Jeffrey Earnhardt [#1 Fuel Doctor Chevrolet] will be making his Phoenix International Raceway debut this Friday night for the Lucas Oil 150 on a ton of momentum. The 4th generation Earnhardt grabbed his career high during an emotional weekend at Daytona in the Fuel Doctor USA Chevy with a 7th place finish. The top-ten finish put Earnhardt near the top of the point standings in third as well as second in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Rookie of the Year standings.(Rick Ware Racing PR)(2-23-2011)
- Two new sponsors for Eggleston at PIR: The No. 27 Winfield Motorsports NCWTS RAM Truck Team enters in the 7th annual Lucas Oil 150 at Phoenix International Raceway this Friday night on SpeedTV with two new sponsors for the weekend. AllStarExteriorsInc.com owner Brian Mater, with locations in Arizona and Colorado has watched Chris for years win everything he has been in, and now seizes the opportunity to support his efforts in NASCAR. Likewise, famed Radio and TV personality Kurt Hansen of RaceCentralMedia.com has come on board to support Chris under the Race Central TV banner. Chris, with more than 300 Wins and 6 Championships experienced the competitiveness of NASCAR last week at Daytona, and feels like this track will allow him to show his skills as a driver.(Winfield Motorsports PR)(2-23-2011)
- Malsam & RMM welcome returning sponsor at PIR: Tayler Malsam and Randy Moss Motorsports will welcome Iron Horse Jeans back to the hood of their Toyota Tundra. The California-based company made their debut with Randy Moss Motorsports at Homestead-Miami Speedway in Nov. 2010. Iron Horse Jeans makes premium denim jeans affordable without sacrificing quality and guarantees them to last. Malsam and Randy Moss Motorsports will compete with chassis MDM-109 at Phoenix International Raceway on Friday night. MDM-109 is a brand new chassis that was built especially for Phoenix International Raceway and events at other short-tracks throughout the 2011 season. The opening practice session on Friday morning will mark the first time MDM-109 has been on the track.(Randy Moss Motorsports PR)(2-23-2011)
- Bully Hill Vineyards to sponsor Nashville race: Nashville Superspeedway and Bully Hill Vineyards have entered into a new partnership agreement that names the Hammondsport, N.Y– based vineyard and winery the official wine of Nashville Superspeedway, and title sponsor of the “Bully Hill Vineyards 200” NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on April 22, 2011. The Friday night event, part of a doubleheader weekend with the NASCAR Nationwide Series, is scheduled to take the green flag at 7 p.m. Central. Founded in 1970 as a small estate winery, Bully Hill Vineyards has grown to become New York State’s largest privately owned winery.(Nashville Superspeedway PR)(2-21-2011)
- Wolfpack Rentals returns to #31 for select races: Turner Motorsports is pleased to announce that Wolfpack Rentals has returned to the No. 31 Chevrolet for select races throughout the 2011 season. They will adorn the hood and quarter panels of the No. 31 Chevrolet driven by James Buescher this Friday night at the one-mile Phoenix International Raceway. James Buescher and the No. 31 Exide Batteries team had a dominating performance in last Friday’s season-opening event at Daytona International Speedway. The 20-year-old Texas-native led a race-high 55 laps in route to a ninth-place finish. Buescher sits third in the championship point standings, only five markers behind leader Clay Rogers.(Turner Motorsports PR)(2-22-11)
- First event at PIR for Goess: Craig Goess will compete in his first event at Phoneix International Speedway, and his first one-mile track in the NCWTS. In Goess’ three NCWTS starts, he only competed at tracks larger than 1.5 miles. The Greenville, N.C., resident will enter his second event of the 2011 season at Phoenix International Speedway in the No. 46 Greenville Toyota of N.C. Tundra. After the first event of the season at DIS, Goess sits in the 12th position in the driver’s point standings, 14 points behind leader Clay Rogers. He sits fourth place in the Sunoco Rookie of the Year standings, 11 points behind leader Miguel Paludo.(Eddie Sharp Racing PR)(2-22-2011)
- Sherwin-Williams sponsor for Hornaday at PIR UPDATE images added: The No. 33 Chevrolet Silverado will display the Sherwin-Williams colors as they serve as primary sponsor for the Lucas Oil 150 at Phoenix International Raceway. Sherwin-Williams will also serve as an associate sponsor on the No. 33 for the entire season. The Sherwin-Williams Company, founded in 1866, is one of the world’s leading companies in the manufacture, distribution and sale of coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial and retail customers. It has been 12 years since Ron Hornaday visited victory lane at Phoenix International Raceway in the Truck Series. Hornaday is ready to beat the winless streak and bring home a victory for Kevin Harvick Inc. Hornaday has two victories at the one mile tri-oval track, both of which he earned for the late Dale Earnhardt during his 1998 and 1999 seasons with Dale Earnhardt Inc.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-21-2011)
UPDATE: Added a couple of images of the #33 Sherwin-Williams Chevrolet. Check them out on the #33 NCWTS 2011 paint Scheme page.(2-21-2011)
- Bowyer set for KHI’s #2 at Phoenix: Clint Bowyer only made one start last season in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. The driver climbed behind the wheel of the No. 2 Chevrolet Silverado for the next to last event of the 2010 season at Phoenix International Raceway. He started from the third position and led 97 of 150 laps en route to victory lane. This weekend Bowyer returns to pilot the No. 2 Tide/Kroger Chevrolet for KHI and hopes to capture his third career Truck Series win. The No. 2 KHI Chevrolet Silverado will sport familiar colors this weekend with a bright orange and blue paint scheme. With retail partner Kroger and sponsorship partner Procter & Gamble, the No. 2 truck will highlight Tide which is part of their family of brands. Both Kroger and Tide might just be somewhat of good luck charms for the No. 2 Truck Series team. KHI co-owner Kevin Harvick took the No. 2 Chevrolet to victory lane at Martinsville Speedway last March with Tide on the hood. Bowyer captured the win at Phoenix in November with Kroger as the primary sponsor.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-21-2011)
- Piquet makes first PIR start: When Nelson Piquet Jr. hits the track at Phoenix International Raceway, it will be the Brazilian’s first laps at the 1.0-mile tri-oval. In fact, in his six career Truck Series starts, Piquet Jr. has never raced at a track shorter than 1.5-miles. However, over the off season, the Kevin Harvick Inc Truck Series teams held tests at Walt Disney World Speedway (1.0-mile) and Gresham Motorsports Park, (0.50-mile) where Piquet Jr. posted excellent lap times at both.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-21-2011)
- Rogers headed to Phoenix with points lead; hoping to increase schedule: Clay Rogers brought the #92 fleetHQ/BTS Tire & Wheel Distributors Chevrolet Silverado home 3rd in the teams’ debut at Daytona. Rogers and team also leave Daytona with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series points lead going into the next race.” The #92 RBR Team will now focus on the upcoming Phoenix International Raceway Lucas Oil 150 this Friday night. fleetHQ and BTS Tire & Wheel Distributors will continue as associate marketing partners for the #92 entry this weekend in Phoenix, however the team is seeking additional marketing partners to expand their schedule for the 2011 season.(RBR Motorsports PR)(2-21-2011)
- Racing Resources — Monday Rundown:
*Michael Waltrip won the Camping World Truck Series NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona International Speedway. He led only once for the final lap, the 11th time the race winner led only the final lap in series history. It was the fourth last-lap pass in the series at Daytona. Waltrip won the 2001 Daytona 500 10 years ago to the day.
*It was his first series win in his ninth start. He is the 22nd driver to win a race in all three of NASCAR’s National Touring Series and the 11th driver to win at Daytona in the series in 12 races.
*Waltrip is the 69th driver to win a series race.
*It was the 81st series win for Toyota, the fifth series win at Daytona. *Elliott Sadler (finished second) has finished in the top 10 in five of his past seven series starts.
*Clay Rogers (third) had a career-best finish in his 21st race. He is the points leader.
*Miguel Paludo (fourth) earned a career-best finish in his fifth start.
* Jennifer Jo Cobb (sixth) had a career-best finish in her 30th start. It was the best finish by a woman in series history.
*Jeffrey Earnhardt (seventh) had his career-best finish in his sixth start.
*James Buescher (ninth) led 55 laps, more laps than he had led in his previous 48 starts combined.
*Joey Coulter (34th) made his series debut.
*Chevrolet is still winless at Daytona in the series, one of only six tracks that Chevrolet is winless on.(ESPN.com)(2-21-2011)
- Spoiler issue leaves Waltrip victory in dispute: As Michael Waltrip came off Turn 4, all it took to nail down an emotional victory 10 years after the date of Dale Earnhardt’s death — and Waltrip’s own Daytona 500 triumph — was a last-ditch run to pass Elliott Sadler. Tt was then that Waltrip’s spoiler went down, too; and everything from that moment on, despite a compelling drive to victory for him, remains under a cloud of uncertainty Saturday morning. In the midst of palpable emotion, memories of Dale Earnhardt and the significance of the 10-year anniversary overwhelming Waltrip concerns over how and what happened to “spoil” the run to the checkered flag became a hot topic during post-race activity. This much we know: the right side of the spoiler was angled flat, clearly at an illegal angle when Waltrip crossed the line. Immediately, NASCAR confiscated both sides of the spoiler and will take them back to their R&D Center in North Carolina for further inspection. Late Friday night, PR spokesman Kerry Tharp gave some basic speculation on the issue but explained the win will stand regardless of what they find going forward. “The spoiler broke,” he explained. “It appeared to be a failure on a part, we’re going to look at it and make any determinations past that.”(For what Waltrip had to say, see the complete article at Frontstretch.com)(2-19-2011)
- KHI celebrates ten years of competition; establishes driver development program: This season marks the 10th year of competition in NASCAR for Kevin Harvick Inc. Team co-owner Kevin Harvick made KHI’s first start in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event at Richmond International Raceway in 2001, narrowly missing the win by inches to series veteran Jack Sprague. Ten years later Kevin and DeLana Harvick have two Truck Series championships to their credit and multiple wins in both the Truck Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series with a host of drivers. With the support of long-time and new sponsor partners, KHI has grown to three full-time Truck Series teams and two full-time Nationwide Series teams which will compete for both the Driver and Owner championships in the two series this season. As another step forward in the company’s growth, KHI announced today the establishment of a driver development program and has signed Gray Gaulding, a 13 year old up-and-coming talent, to a multi-year contract as the first participant in this development program. Through a partnership with Robert Hamke, Gaulding will compete in the southern division of the Pro All Stars Series (PASS) South Super Late Model Touring Series. The 2011 PASS season opens March 12 at Anderson Motor Speedway in Williamston, S.C. In 2010 Gaulding competed in the Legends Division. He ran in 47 events and posted 16 wins, 8 top-five and 25 top-10 finishes. He also made his way into the Legends record books as he became the youngest driver to compete in the Legends Million race at Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway. During 2011 all KHI vehicles will carry a commemorative decal as the company celebrates their accomplishments over the last 10 years.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-18-2011)
- NASCAR names 2011 NASCAR Prize Money & Decal Program sponsors: As teams make final preparations to start the 2011 race season, the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) announced the lineup of 2011 NASCAR Prize Money & Decal Program sponsors for all three national series. The NASCAR Prize Money & Decal Program, commonly referred to as the Contingency Program, is administered by the Charlotte, N.C.-based NASCAR Automotive Group. The program strives to build strong relationships with high-quality, performance-driven brands that are leaders in their respective categories, and award money to NASCAR teams via per-race and year-end awards. Competitors become eligible for prize money by displaying sponsor decals on the front fender of their race cars and trucks. In some instances, use of a sponsor’s product is also required. Among the new partners for this program are Growth Energy/American Ethanol, Exide Batteries and Sunoco, who takes over the Rookie of the Year program in all three national series. “We are thrilled to sponsor NASCAR’s Rookie of the Year program,” said Bob Owens, Sunoco’s senior vice president of marketing. “It supports rising young talent, promotes the future of a great sport, and makes for exciting racing as drivers compete for the title.”
Below is the 2011 Camping World Truck Series lineup and special awards:
Auto Meter Gauges — NCWTS
Competition Cams — NCWTS
Keystone Light — NCWTS* Pole Award
Craftsman — NCWTS
Edelbrock Intake Manifolds — NCWTS
Exide –NCWTS* Start Positive, Stay Positive Award
Featherlite — NCWTSP Most Improved Driver Award
Goodyear Tires — NCWTS* Awarded to Series Champions
Growth Energy/American Ethanol — NCWTS (Awarded to Series Champion)
Holley Carburetors — NCWTS
JE Pistons — NCWTS
K&N Filters — NCWTS
Lincoln Electric — NCWTS
MAHLE Clevite — NCWTS* Engine Builder of the Race/Year Award
Mechanix Wear — NCWTS Mechanix Wear Most Valuable Pit Crew (Quarterly/Year-End)
Mobil 1 — NCWTS* Driver of the Race/Year
MOOG Chassis Parts — NCWTS Problem Solver of the Race/Year
MSD Ignition — NCWTS
O’Reilly Auto Parts — CWTS* Position Improvement Award
Simpson Firesuits — NCWTS
Sunoco — NCWTS* Diamond Performance & Rookie of the Year
[Note: *Indicates Special Award sponsor with a year-end bonus.]
(NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications)(2-18-2011)
- Exide sponsoring Buescher for eight: UPDATE more info: James Buescher told Sirius NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway that Exide Batteries will back his #31 Turner Motorsports Chevrolet in a total of eight NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races this season, beginning with the season-opening NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona. Buescher’s 2010 sponsor, WolfPack Rentals, will also return for an unspecified number of races this season, and Beuscher said more sponsor announcements are expected in the near future. “We’re going to run the full schedule,” said Buescher. “Turner Motorsports has more sponsorship in the works, and even if we don’t get every race sponsored, Steve Turner has made the commitment that we’ll run for the championship.”(Sirius Speedway)(2-15-2011)
UPDATE: Turner Motorsports is pleased to announce the addition of Exide Batteries as a marketing partner for the 2011 season. The Atlanta, Ga.-based company will adorn the hood of the No. 31 Chevrolet for a select number of races throughout the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season. James Buescher has four starts behind the wheel of a stock car at the World Center of Racing. In those four starts, the 20-year-old has accumulated one win [ARCA], one pole, along with three top-10 results.(Turner Motorsports PR)(2-16-2011)
- NASCAR implements rule change to slow Daytona speeds: It was reported during SPEEDtv’s final practice broadcast that NASCAR implemented a rules change for the Camping World Truck Series in an effort to slow them down. Trucks will be utilitizing a smaller, tapered spacer which results in loss of somewhere between 40-50 horsepower for the trucks.(2-17-2011)
- Daytona Fast Facts – Todd Bodine/Germain Racing:
*Bodine has raced in 6 NCWTS events at Daytona, completed all 602 laps, led laps in every race and scored fifth or better in each race, including two wins.
*Tire Kingdom has joined Bodine and Germain Racing for the Daytona weekend in conjunction with team sponsor Valvoline.
*Last season, Todd Bodine became the third drive in Truck Series history to clinch the Truck Series championship title early, and, to clinch multiple titles.
*Germain Racing is only the second team in Truck Series history to earn multiple wins in seven consecutive seasons.
*Bodine has two wins at Daytona that came as part of a four-race restrictor place track sweep (Talladega 2007, Daytona, 2008, Talladega 2008, Daytona, 2009)
*Chassis TRD-058 will race at Daytona. The truck has been the only race truck to compete with the 30 number on Daytona or Talladega in the team’s history. In 11 starts at Talladega and Daytona, the truck has nine top-five finishes, two finishes outside the top 10 including one DNF which it suffered in its debut event, Daytona, 2005.
*Bodine has earned 21 wins and seven pole awards of Germain Racing’s Truck Series total of 22 wins and nine pole awards.
*In six full-time seasons in the Truck Series, Bodine has scored championship finishes of fourth or better, including two championship titles.(Germain Racing PR)(2-17-2011)
- Mattioli moves to series as owner/driver UPDATE McCumbee driver at Daytona: Building on the momentum of their NASCAR Nationwide association at Miami-Homestead in late November of 2010, Chase Mattioli and CollegeComplete.com have extended their relationship to include a season-long effort in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in 2011 with Mattioli’s newly formed race team, Chase Mattioli Racing. Mattioli, who is in his junior year at New York City’s Fordham University, will be taking the reins of the #99 CollegeComplete.com Ford for the 2011 season, while stepping up to the position of new truck owner. This marks the first time that anyone has ever tried to balance the responsibilities of being a college student and a NASCAR owner / driver. Joining College Complete.com on Chase’s No. 99 Ford at Daytona will be his longtime supporters: Advance Payment Services, Green Tree Environmental Consultants, Howard University’s WHUR 96.3 FM and Papillon & Moyer Construction. Chase’s No. 99 will also be carrying good wishes for his friend Eve Haim. Cal Boprey will be the crew chief.(Chase Mattioli PR) [Image of the #99 CollegeComplete.com Ford is posted on the #99 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes Page.](2-14-2011)
UPDATE: On the final entry list, Chad McCumbee was listed as driver for the #99 CollegeComplete.com Ford at Daytona.
- Father–son team ready for second full season: Brent Raymer heads to Daytona International Speedway behind the wheel of the No. 85 Ford F-150 for Brent Raymer Racing. Raymer gears up for his second full-season behind his family owned truck, powered by Roush-Yates engines. The team only missed two races last season, one at Daytona International Speedway and Gateway International Raceway. Raymer has one previous start at Daytona in 2009, finishing 23. Raymer and his four man team are a garage favorite with their grass roots approach to the sport. The team is currently supporting themselves out of pocket but plans to run all 25 races. “I’m really looking forward to the new season,” said Raymer. “We just purchased a new motor from Roush-Yates engines and it is a lot faster, and the team really worked hard over the winter making our trucks better.”(Brent Raymer Racing PR)(2-17-2011)
- Johnson/Davis make first VAR start at Phoenix: Vision Aviation Racing has announced the Driver/Crew Chief lineup for their first season in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Las Vegas native, Justin Johnson, will be behind the wheel of the No. 51 Wounded Warrior Project/Vision Airlines Toyota Tundra with veteran Crew Chief Doug George at the helm. Johnson is coming off a Championship winning season in the 2010 Whelen All-American Series where he won 10 out of the 19 races. George, a former racer himself, comes to VAR with over 25 years of experience in the motorsports industry. Fellow Las Vegas native, Dusty Davis, will pilot the No. 15 Vision Airlines Toyota Tundra with Crew Chief Doug Howe atop the pit box. Davis finished runner up to Johnson in the 2010 Whelen All-American Series where he racked up 4 victories. Howe, previously with Gunbroker.com Racing/SS Green Light Racing, has 6 top-five and 17 top-ten finishes to his credit. Johnson and Davis will make their NCWTS debuts at Phoenix in the Lucas Oil 150 on February 25 as they begin the process of certification for NASCAR superspeedway tracks. Notable drivers Aric Almirola and Michael Waltrip will fill in driving the No. 51 and No. 15, respectively, for the season opener at Daytona on February 18th.(Vision Aviation Racing PR)(2-16-2011)
- Goodyear Tire Notes – Daytona: Teams in all three NASCAR series will run the same tire codes at Daytona throughout Speedweeks, though the Sprint Cup and Nationwide tires will be branded “Goodyear Eagle,” while the Camping World Truck tires will be branded “Goodyear Wrangler” . . . this tire set-up has been tested extensively on the Sprint Cup cars throughout the off-season . . . Goodyear conducted a 17-car tire test at the Speedway on December 15-16, and then returned for NASCAR’s open test on January 20-22 . . . this is a “hybrid” tire set-up, utilizing the left-side (D-4138) that has run by teams in all three series at Talladega since 2009, with the right-side (D-4412) that will be run at Las Vegas in a couple weeks . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Daytona . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.(Goodyear PR) [Complete tire specs are posted on the Daytona Race page.](2-16-2011)
- Defending race winner, Peters returns with K&N onboard: Timothy Peters is the defending race winner of the NextEra Energy Resources 250 [#17 Red Horse Racing Toyota], making a last-lap pass for his first victory at Daytona International Speedway. Peters has made three starts at Daytona, with one victory, one sixth-place finish and one 12-place finish in three starts. K&N onboard at Daytona: K&N Engineering is the inventor and leading innovator of reusable cotton gauze filter technology for automotive applications. From humble beginnings as a family run business over 40 years ago, K&N Engineering is now a truly global company with offices in the U.K. and the Netherlands. New crew chief for Peters; Butch Hylton.(Red Horse Racing PR)(2-16-2011)
- Goess making first Daytona series start: Craig Goess will make his 2011 NASCAR Camping World Series debut in the No. 46 Greenville Toyota of N.C. Goess competed in two NCWTS events last year and will compete this season for the NCWTS Rookie of the Year award. Last Race – Homestead-Miami Speedway: The Greenville, N.C., resident competed at the final event of the NCWTS season in 2010 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In his first trip to the track, and only second in the series, Goess showed that he could handle the 1.5-mile track and finished 12th in the event. Rookie Driver, Veteran Crew Chief: Trip Bruce will lead the No. 46 ESR team this season with Goess behind the wheel. Bruce has experience across motorsports, working with NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series. In 2006, Bruce won the NNS Crew Chief of the Year award. The next year, he captured the 2008 NCWTS Championship with Johnny Benson.(Eddie Sharp Racing PR)(2-16-2011)
- Paludo to make first Daytona trucks start: The NextEra Energy Resources 250 will mark Paludo’s first NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start at Daytona International Speedway. Paludo raced in the ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards event at Daytona last Saturday, starting 11th and finishing 13th. Paludo will be driving the #7 Stemco Duroline for Red Horse Racing. STEMCO, standing for Specialized Truck Equipment Manufacturing Company, manufactures dual wheel adapters, hub hose carriers, drum check gauges, exhaust accessories, and the development of the STEMCO Hub Oil Seal and Hub Cap, and pinion seals. Duroline, based in Brazil, produces and distributes equipment which makes up the brake system of heavy-duty vehicles such as adjusters, wheels, brake pads and other items under the SuperBrake and Duroline trademarks. Baby Watch … Miguel Paludo’s wife Patricia is due to deliver the couple’s first child this year – and on teammate Timothy Peters’ birthday, Aug. 29. Plus, crew chief Rick Gay and wife Sarah will be parents in two months, as Sarah Gay is due on April 16.(Red Horse Racing PR)(2-16-2011)
- Sauter returns with many changes: Johnny Sauter returns to ThorSport Racing in 2011 for his third season as driver of the No. 13 SafeAuto/Curb Records Chevrolet. Sauter’s performance in 2010 gave him a “go hard or go home” reputation in the Series – due to one win (Kansas), 13 top-five finishes and 2 top-ten finishes en route to third in the final championship standings. A championship contender in 2011, along with teammate and fellow contender Matt Crafton – Sauter and his newly-sponsored No. 13 SafeAuto/Curb Records Chevrolet can reach Victory Lane as often as they are capable of this year. A new pit crew, new ECR engines for more horsepower, and a new scarlet and gray paintout (thanks to SafeAuto’s Columbus, Ohio roots with Ohio State Buckeye fever) will help the cause. New baby on the way for Sauter; “My wife Cortney will give birth to our second child the day after Martinsville (through a scheduled C-section), so life has more perspective this year. It takes a little pressure off, knowing that I won’t need a driver for that famed ‘baby watch’ that Cup has. I’ll have a daughter now, and that’s scary and amazing at the same time. It definitely makes the beginning of the season a little more hectic, but I know I’ve got the best support staff I could ever ask for in my wife and son. We are so truly blessed.”(ThorSport Racing PR) [For more info about new sponsor, see the February Archives page](2-16-2011)
- Crafton set to kick off new season; new engines: Matt Crafton is looking forward to getting back in the seat of the No. 88 Menards/Herculiner Chevrolet to kick off the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season. Crafton’s consistency was key in 2010, scoring one pole, ten top-five finishes, ten top-ten finishes and a fourth-place finish in the series championship standings. His 2011 goal is simple: to get into Victory Lane as much as possible and gain wins to add to the consistency boards. Period. “We changed to ECR engines, and that has made a huge difference in horsepower, which is where we had challenges last year. At Daytona, it’s what it’s going to take to bring the last push home and what will distinguish the veteran drivers – since we all want a strong finish. We also made a few personnel changes, so it’s a strong team. I’m proud of my guys, and it’s great to be with Bud (Haefele) again this year. Matt has started ten NCWTS races at Daytona, with three top-ten finishes in his past four attempts. His best finish is fifth in 2010.(ThorSport Racing PR)(2-16-2011)
- Busch looking for back-to-back owner titles: UPDATE associate sponsor returns: In 2010, Kyle Busch Motorsports became the first team since the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series originated in 1995 to win the owners’ championship in its inaugural season. KBM begins defense of their title Friday night driving the #18 Dollar General Toyota Tundra in the NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona International Speedway. The second-year team is looking to become the first Truck Series team to capture back-to-back owners’ titles since Steve Coulter’s No. 16 team won in 2002 and 2003. A motivational letter that Kyle Busch received during the off season from Kyle Savoie), a 12-year old fan from Groveland, Fla., has inspired Busch to develop a program that will recognize children for experiences and achievements that had a positive effect on their lives. In addition to recognizing Savoie, the “Riding Shotgun with Kyle Busch Motorsports” essay contest will recognize one child in 10 predetermined race markets on the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series circuit during the 2011 season. To honor Savoie, a special decal with his name and a 2.5″ x 3.5″ photo of him adorns the area above the passenger side door of Busch’s No. 18 Dollar General Toyota Tundra this week. The ten winners of the essay contest will receive the same honor.[Contest details are posted on the Jayski Contest page.](Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(2-15-2011)
UPDATE: Kyle Busch Motorsports is excited to announce that Flexco, the worldwide leader in the manufacturing of belt conveyer products, is returning as corporate partner on the No. 18 Toyota Tundra in 2011. The Illinois-based company will be an associate sponsor for all 25 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races this season. Flexco provides the world’s belt conveyors with efficient, safe products, services, and solutions for belt splicing, belt cleaning, belt tracking, spillage, slippage, and bulk material transfer.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(2-16-2011)
- KHI continues partnership with Ollie’s Bargain Outlet: Kevin Harvick Inc. announced today the continuation of its partnership with Ollie’s Bargain Outlet, one of America’s largest retailers of closeouts, surplus and salvage merchandise. Ollie’s made its debut with KHI last season in the NASCAR Nationwide Series event in May at Dover (Del.) International Speedway. Ollie’s signature yellow, black and red will adorn the No. 2 KHI Chevrolet in two Truck Series events this season. Elliott Sadler will pilot the entry at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 20 and Harvick will be behind the wheel at Pocono Raceway on August 6.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-15-2011)
- Kvapil set to debut with RMM; racing for championship: Travis Kvapil will make his debut with Randy Moss Motorsports at the NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona International Speedway. The 2003 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion will pilot the No. 5 International Truck/Monaco RVs Toyota Tundra full-time throughout the 2011 season and will race for the NCWTS championship. With three top-three finishes in his last three starts at Daytona International Speedway, Travis Kvapil is known for being a tough competitor at the 2.5-mile Florida track. In five starts, the driver has achieved an average starting position of 6.2, ranking him second on the list for drivers with multiple starts at the superspeedway. Furthermore, the former champion has led nearly 15% of the laps he has attempted at DIS.(Randy Moss Motorsports PR) [Prior news on the #5 team switch from Skinner to Kvapil is posted on the January News Archives page.](2-15-2011)
- Dillon and #3 team remain intact; ready for Daytona: Austin Dillon will pilot chassis No. 011 from the Richard Childress Racing NASCAR Camping World Truck Series stable in this weekend’s Nextera Energy Resources 250. This is a brand new Chevrolet that the Danny Stockman-led Bass Pro Shops team built during the off season. In 2010, Dillon made his career first start at Daytona, where a lap-one incident left the team playing catch up for the duration of the race, resulting in a 26th-place finish after starting third. The No. 3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet team heads into the 2011 season virtually unchanged from 2010. Driver, crew chief Danny Stockman, team engineer Ryan Sparks and many of the race shop and over-the-wall pit crew members have remained the same. One notable exception is that Scott Naset, who served as truck chief of the No. 3 Chevrolet in 2010, has moved over to RCR’s ARCA program as crew chief for Austin’s younger brother, Ty Dillon. Robert Strmiska, a mechanic on the team in 2010, has been promoted to truck chief.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(2-15-2011)
- Coulter making first series start at Daytona: Friday’s NCWTS race marks Coulter’s first-career NASCAR attempt. The 20-year-old Miami Springs, Fla., native joins RCR on the heels of two successful seasons in the ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards, where he earned seven top-five and 10 top-10 finishes, including one win in 2010. In addition to his roll as full-time driver of the No. 22 RCR Chevrolet, Coulter is currently a full-time Mechanical Engineering student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Veteran NASCAR crew chief Harold Holly, who has served as Coulter’s crew chief in the ARCA Racing Series for the past two years, is calling the shots from atop the pit box for the No. 22 team this season. Spotter Randy Renfrow also worked with Coulter in the ARCA Racing Series and has transitioned to RCR with the driver.(Richard Childress Racing PR)(2-15-2011)
- New year, new team for Lofton: Lofton joins Germain Racing for his sophomore effort in 2011 behind the wheel of the No. 77 Lofton Cattle Toyota Tundra. Lofton is now part of a four-truck stable including teammates Max Papis, Brendan Gaughan, and two-time series champion Todd Bodine. To date, Germain Racing has 22 wins, nine pole awards and two NASCAR Camping World Truck Series championships. During Lofton’s debut season in trucks in 2010, he accumulated a solid stat sheet including four top-five and eight top-10 finishes, with a best finish of third, and a season-ending 12th place showing in the driver point standings. Ryan “Rudy” Fugle will serve as crew chief.(Justin Lofton PR) [Prior news on Lofton’s move to Germain Racing is posted on the January News Archives page.](2-15-2011)
- Marks returns with new sponsor onboard: Turn One Racing is pleased to welcome GoPro, the maker of the world’s best selling and highest performance wearable HD video cameras, as the primary sponsor of Marks’ No. 66 Chevrolet. For Marks, the use of GoPro’s products is a no-brainer, with plans to implement the use of GoPro products on his website, JustinMarksRacing.com, as well as various aspects of the team’s every day operations from test sessions to meet-and-greets. An official announcement will be made in the coming weeks.(Turn One Racing PR) [For prior news on Marks return to series, visit the January News Archives page.](2-15-2011)
- Gaughan set for return to series: The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series fans will be excited to see one of their own return to them when the No. 62 South Point Hotel & Casino Tundra takes to the track for Friday’s NextEra Energy Resources 250 to kick off the 2011 racing season. Behind the wheel will be Las Vegas’ Brendan Gaughan. He holds eight Truck Series wins, three poles and is excited to return in a Toyota Tundra as part of the reigning champions—Germain Racing. “This will be the best chance I’ve had to win in the Truck Series at Daytona in a long time,” said Gaughan, a ranking member of Truck Series history who is still smiling from his recent win in the Rolex 24 GT Class at Daytona. Bryan Berry will lead the way for Gaughan and the two will have one of the newest Tundra trucks in Germain’s fleet. He has been crew chief for Gaughan in his last three Truck Series seasons.(The South Point Hotel & Casino is a 2,200-room resort in Las Vegas, Nevada providing affordable luxury while catering to visitors and locals alike. This casino destination features a world-class spa, bowling center, eight restaurants, showroom, equestrian arena, convention center, exhibit hall, bingo and all of the casino games that made Las Vegas famous.(Germain Racing PR)(2-15-2011)
- Malsam & RMM welcome new partners: Randy Moss Motorsports announced today that One Eighty and Iron Horse Jeans will return to the Toyota Tundra team, and will be joined by Odd Manor, a new social network game from Redmond, Wash.-based KingX Studios. One Eighty, a Seattle, Wash.-based company delivering hospitality services primarily in the senior living industry, will make their debut on the hood of the No. 25 Toyota Tundra at Daytona International Speedway on February 18. Iron Horse Jeans will make their 2011 debut on the hood of Malsam’s Toyota Tundra for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Phoenix International Raceway on February 25. Odd Manor’s logo will decorate the rear quarter panels of Malsam’s truck as an associate sponsor for both events.(Randy Moss Motorsports PR)(2-15-2011)
- New team to debut at Daytona; Eggleston as driver: UPDATE sponsors announced: New NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Team to debut at the Nextera Energy Resources 250, February 18th at the World Famous Daytona International Speedway. Owner Rob Winfield announces the formation of the Winfield Motorsports No. 27 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Team. This new team is also excited to announce their Driver for the 2011 season is Chris Eggleston. While only 21 year’s old, Chris a Colorado native, has won Championships and hundreds of feature wins in different divisions across the country. Chris had five starts in the NCWTS in 2010 finishing 11th in his first start. Winfield Motorsports also announces an alliance with the newly formed “Race Engines Plus”, (Joey Arrington) competing with Dodge Power. Sharing in the vein of what NASCAR does, we will be supporting charity events and programs for the less fortunate throughout the year. For at least the first three events we will be supporting Sierra’s Race Against Meningitis. Team hope to gain a full-time primary partner to allow Eggleston to compete for the NASCAR “Rookie of the Year” Title in 2011.(Winfield Motorsports PR)(1-31-2011)
UPDATE: SPONSORSHORTY.COM logos will adorn the race truck, as a Primary Sponsor Program initiative, info at: http://SponsorShorty.com, with Associate Sponsor www.promothreads.com promoting their apparel embroidery and screen printing business.(Winfield Motorsports PR)(2-15-2011)
- Bad Boy Buggies teams with KHI: Bad Boy Buggies, a leader in 4×4 electric vehicles and utility vehicles for hunting and outdoor recreation, announced today that it will sponsor both NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series teams at Kevin Harvick Inc. (KHI). The Bad Boy Buggies brand will be proudly carried by all-star drivers Elliott Sadler and Clint Bowyer, both NASCAR veterans with multiple wins across all three of NASCAR’s premier national racing series. The pair will tag team to drive Bad Boy Buggies-branded vehicles in both the Nationwide and Truck Series for five race events throughout 2011. Bad Boy Buggies is a leader in utility vehicles for hunting and outdoor lifestyles.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-14-2011)
- Carmichael makes third Daytona start; new crew chief onboard: Ricky Carmichael will make his third NCWTS start at Daytona International Speedway in the NextEra Energy Resources 250 driving the No. 4 Monster Energy Chevrolet Silverado. In an effort to get a head start on the 2011 season and garner a little extra seat time, Carmichael competed in last weekend’s Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200 ARCA Series race at DIS. The 31-year-old driver started seventh, raced in the top five for the majority of the event, and went on the earn a personal-best fourth-place finish. The 2011 season will mark Carmichael’s second season competing on a full-time basis in the NCWTS. NASCAR veteran Mark Rette will assume the role of crew chief for Carmichael’s NCWTS sophomore campaign. Rette has a wealth of experience including stints at Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates and Roush Fenway Racing. Rette earned the 2009 ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards championship with driver Justin Lofton where the duo combined for five poles and six wins. Most recently, Rette served as Lofton’s crew chief in the NCWTS at Red Horse Racing.(Turner Motorsports PR)(2-14-2011)
- Sadler in #2 at Daytona for KHI: Last year for the Truck Series season opener at Daytona International Speedway, Elliott Sadler climbed behind the wheel of a Kevin Harvick Inc. vehicle for the first time. Sadler was quite successful capturing the outside pole for the start of his first Truck Series race at Daytona. Bruce Cook will call the shots atop the pit box for the No. 2 KHI Truck Series entry in 2011. Cook and Sadler are no strangers. Cook led Sadler’s Nationwide team at Robert Yates Racing in 2005 and 2006 serving as car chief and crew chief throughout those two seasons. Sadler comes back to the Truck Series looking to repeat his achievements in 2010. A victory at the inaugural Truck Series event at Pocono Raceway last July brought renewed confidence to the 35 year old Sadler. Sadler reunites with former sponsor CitiFinancial as they rebrand themselves as OneMain Financial. (Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-14-2011)
- KHI & Piquet set to go at DIS: Kevin Harvick Inc. (welcomes Nelson Piquet Jr. to the team’s family of drivers in 2011. The 25-year-old Brazilian, who is the son of three-time Formula One world champion Nelson Piquet, transitioned from open-wheel racing to NASCAR in 2010 when he made his Truck Series debut at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway. Piquet Jr. will get behind the wheel as full-time driver of KHI’s newest entry, the No. 8 Qualcomm Chevrolet Silverado, in pursuit of 2011 Rookie of the Year honors. NASCAR veteran Chris Carrier has come aboard to lead Piquet Jr. and the No. 8 team in 2011. Coming to KHI from Penske Racing’s driver development team, Carrier brings over 30 years of NASCAR experience to the team and has earned wins as a crew chief in each of NASCAR’s top three series. The No. 8 Chevrolet Silverado will carry a very special message on the truck’s tonneau cover this weekend in Daytona. The truck bed will feature a decal in memory of the victims of last month’s devastating flood in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The flood and subsequent mudslides that hit the mountainous region of eastern Brazil is considered the country’s worst natural disaster for several decades, killing nearly 1,000 people. KHI hopes to add another achievement to the team’s long list of accolades when the trucks hit the track at DIS. KHI has scored Truck Series victories at all but eight tracks currently on the schedule, with Daytona being one of the places that has eluded the team in the Truck Series.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-14-2011)
- Greenfield & Alger Motorsports team up for Daytona: UPDATE U.S. Pavement joins with Alger/Greenfield Motorsports: Clay Greenfield Motorsports has teamed with Alger Motorsports for the NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona. Clay Greenfield will be behind the wheel of the #68 Dodge Ram, with Joey Jones as crew chief. The team will be raising awareness for a cause Greenfield is an avid supporter of, “Save My Fairgrounds”. The Save My Fairgrounds organization is fighting to save the historic Nashville Fairgrounds from demolition. It is home of the famed Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway, which served as the home track to many NASCAR legends including Darrell Waltrip, Sterling Marlin, Bobby Hamilton and others.(Alger Motorsports PR)(2-2-2011)
UPDATE: U.S. Pavement Services, Inc., a leading provider of sealcoating, crackfilling, line striping, asphalt and concrete services, has joined Alger Motorsports and Clay Greenfield Motorsports for the NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona on February 18th. Clay Greenfield’s #68 Dodge Ram will support SaveMyFairgrounds.com to draw awareness to those trying to save and revitalize the historic Nashville Fairgrounds. U.S. Pavement Services and its 1-800-PAVEMENT brand are proud to support those trying to save and revitalize the hisotric Nashville Fairgrounds. For more than 25 years, U.S. Pavement Services has been providing comprehensive and the most professional pavement maintenance services in the industry. Team will also have additional support from Signs & Displays Direct for the NextEra Energy 250 at Daytona.(Alger Motorsports PR)(2-14-2011)
- Skinner picks up Daytona ride: UPDATE more info: Former NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion Mike Skinner told Sirius NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway that he will compete in the season-opening NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona International Speedway in a #45 Eddie Sharp Racing Toyota, with sponsorship from Cushman Utility Vehicles. Skinner parted company with Randy Moss Motorsports during the offseason and has been scrambling to put together an eleventh-hour package for Daytona. “It came together late, but it came together,” said Skinner. “We’d like to race here at Daytona and also at Phoenix, then we’ll have a little time to try and put something together for the rest of the season. I’m going to represent the Cushman Brand, and I’m excited about the relationship. Eddie hopes to run fulltime with one truck (to be driven by former ARCA standout Craig Goess), and maybe we can get something together for a second Tundra. Skinner said he currently has no over-the-wall pitcrew for the race, but intends to find one. “There are lots of pit crews hanging around these garages this week, and I’m going to walk around, beg and plead and get someone to help us out. We don’t have a lot of money to spend, but I’ve got a few friends in the garage that I hope will agree to help us out.”(Sirius-Speedway.com)(2-12-2011)
UPDATE: Jefferson Hodges will be the crew chief the No. 45 Cushman Toyota. Cushman vehicles are used worldwide to transport personnel, materials and equipment at manufacturing facilities, warehouses, resorts, and other commercial and industrial facilities. Cushmanbrand and product lines are owned by Textron, a global multi-industry company based in Providence, R.I.(Eddie Sharp Racing PR)(2-12-2011)
- Kligerman possibly full-time with BKR? UPDATE 2 to run at least 15 races: From a note on Parker Kligerman’s Facebook page: “Parker [Kligerman] will be in the #29 Dodge Ram for BKR [Brad Keselowski Racing] for the first ten to fifteen races as they look to secure funding for the entire season.”(FB-Parker Kligerman)(1-28-2011)
UPDATE: Sirius NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway has learned that Jeff Stankiewicz has left Turner Motorsports to accept a position as crew chief for Parker Kligerman’s #29 Camping World Truck Series entry at Brad Keselowski Racing. Stankiewicz came to Turner Motorsports when the team purchased Braun Racing in mid-2010, after serving as crew chief on Brian Scott’s #11 Nationwide Series Toyota. He won six ARCA championships with Frank Kimmel and a Nationwide Series title with Kevin Harvick at Richard Childress Racing.(Sirius-Speedway.com)(2-3-2011)
UPDATE 2: “Last week we took the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger down to Disney and shared the track with the guys from my NASCAR Camping World Truck Series team at Brad Keselowski Racing (BKR). Parker Kligerman will drive my No. 29 BKR Ram in at least 15 races this year and I’m as anxious to see that program get started as I am to get behind the wheel myself. Parker is our Penske Racing development driver; he has a lot of talent and he needs to be racing somewhere next year. I’m happy that we were able to work something out to put him in my equipment because I’m proud of what we have been able to build at BKR.”(Brad Keselowski Blog/nascar.com)(2-12-2011)
- Turn One Racing test GMP: Turn One Racing, founded by NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver, Stacy Compton, arrived to GMP early this morning to test before Daytona.Drivers, Cole Whitt and Justin Marks tested the NASCAR Camping World trucks. With only one NCWTS race behind him at Homestead in 2010, Whitt has a full-time ride as Red Bull Racing Team’s development driver with Turn One Racing for 2011. Whitt’s teammate, Justin Marks, is no stranger to the NASCAR truck series. Marks ran a partial season in the NCWTS in 2008 before running a partial schedule in ARCA in 2009 and a full ARCA schedule in 2010. Marks will make his return to the NCWTS at Daytona in the No. 66 Chevrolet Silverado. Both drivers were impressed by GMP and had a successful test.(Gresham Motorsports Park PR)(2-12-2011)
- Fuel Injection to NASCAR in 2012: NASCAR is expected to announce Friday that the Sprint Cup Series will shift to fuel injection in time for the 2012 season-opening Daytona 500. It is expected that Britain’s McLaren Electronic Systems will provide the controller through a partnership with Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. out of Austin, Texas. Testing and development of the components will continue throughout the year.(FoxSports)(2-11-2011)
UPDATE: NASCAR announced a historic technology partnership with Freescale Semiconductor and McLaren Electronic Systems to develop and integrate fuel injection systems into the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, targeted for the 2012 season. Freescale will provide the processors for McLaren’s engine control units (ECUs) that will be used to manage the fuel and ignition systems in the engines for all NASCAR Sprint Cup Series cars, replacing carburetors which have been used in the series since its inception in 1949. NASCAR and its top series teams will test the technology during the 2011 season with the anticipation of the systems being rolled out for the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup season. The fuel injection system will bring increased technology and efficiency to the NASCAR Sprint Cup cars while at the same time complementing the car’s high performance. This announcement marks the most significant strategic change to NASCAR’s engine platform in decades. As part of this program, Freescale is designated as the “Official Automotive Semiconductor of NASCAR” and McLaren the “Official Engine Control Unit of NASCAR.”
For decades, most of the parts and equipment on NASCAR race cars have been highly customized for racing but at the same time relevant in standard automobiles. This move to fuel injection brings back an important synergy between these two vehicle types. ECUs maximize each racing team’s ability to get the most performance and best fuel economy under all race conditions. With this announcement, plans call for every NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race team to use a control system with Freescale’s advanced 32-bit Power Architecture based engine management processors at its core, beginning in 2012. These same processors power millions of today’s most energy efficient engines.
The ECUs are tamper-proof, ensuring that only approved software may ever be run during a race weekend. Additionally, NASCAR will have special electronic tools at its disposal during every event to ensure the legality of all ECUs.(NASCAR)
AND Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition, said during the news conference that Nationwide Series and the Camping World Truck Series will not be going to the fuel injection system in 2012 and that NASCAR is working on a new engine package for both series (Nancy/Jayski)(2-11-2011)
- Double-duty for Neuenberger at Daytona: Donnie Neuenberger and Eagle Convenience Stores announce a ten (10) race deal beginning with the NASCAR Nationwide Series February 19th race in Daytona. Donnie will also compete in the Daytona NASCAR Camping World Series #07 in a one race deal with RWR [in conjunction with SS Green Light Racing] – Rick Ware Racing with primary sponsor Lily Trucking of Virginia and Eagle Convenience Stores as primary associate. Joining Donnie for the 2011 season is his new sponsor Eagle Convenience Stores. Eagle Convenience Stores are an Alabama based convenience store chain located from Opelika to Talladega Superspeedway, mainly in the central Alabama area.(MacDonald Motorsports PR)(2-11-2011)
- Images added: Renderings for the #15 NASCAR.COM RaceView/Wounded Warrior Project/Vision Airlines Toyota being driven by Michael Waltrip at Daytona and the #60 Red Bull Chevrolet with driver Cole White are posted. Also added two renderings of Rick Ware Racing’s #1 Fuel Doctor USA / Lily Trucking Chevrolet being driven by Jeffrey Earnhardt. Check them out via the 2011 NCWTS Paint Schemes page.(2-11-2011)
- RBR Motorsports teams with Rogers for 2011 UPDATE 2 new sponsorship at Daytona: Cerro Gordo, NC – RBR Motorsports announced today they will compete in a limited schedule in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series with driver, Clay Rogers, behind the wheel. Rogers will pilot the #92 fleetHQ/BTS Tire & Wheel Distributors Chevrolet Silverado at the Daytona International Speedway to kick off the 2011 NASCAR Season on February 18th. Clay Rogers holds 4 USAR Procup Championships (2004, 2006, 2009 and 2010). He has competed in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series. This marks Clay’s first return to the Trucks Series since 2009 and his debut at Daytona under race conditions. RBR will be entering their sophomore season in the Truck Series and will be looking to improve on the great start they got in 2010. RBR will continue to market fleetHQ as a marketing partner sponsor for the #92 entry. fleetHQ is a business solutions provider for commercial trucking fleets and servicing tire dealers all across North Amercia. BTS Tire & Wheel Distributors will continue to serve as an associate sponsor.(RBR Motorsports PR)(1-25-2011)
UPDATE: Image of the #91-fleetHQ/BTS Tire & Wheel Distributors Chevrolet is posted on the #92 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes Page.(1-25-2011)
UPDATE 2: RBR Motorsports announced they will be teaming up with Action Gator Tire, one of Florida’s largest Goodyear Tire Dealers, for the upcoming Daytona NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Race. Action Gator Tire, which has been family owned and operated since 1964, will come on as an associate sponsor for the week’s race activities.(RBR Motorsports PR)(2-11-2011)
- Dollar General increases schedule with KBM: Kyle Busch Motorsports is excited to announce that Dollar General, the nation’s largest small-box retailer, has increased their previously announced 2011 sponsorship of the No. 18 Toyota Tundra from five to eight races. All eight races will be piloted by team owner Kyle Busch. Dollar General’s race schedule begins with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series opener, the NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 18, and concludes with the season finale, the Ford 200 at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Nov. 11. The other six races which the famous yellow-and-black paint scheme will adorn the No. 18 Toyota Tundra are Phoenix International Raceway on Feb. 25, Nashville Superspeedway on April 22, Kansas Speedway on June 4, Kentucky Speedway on July 7, Bristol Motor Speedway on Aug. 24, and Chicagoland Speedway on Sept. 16.(Kyle Busch Motorsports PR)(2-10-2011)
- Crawford, Tagsby & Superseal head to Daytona: After a strong 2010 campaign, Tagsby Racing will reunite with NASCAR Camping World Truck Series veteran Rick Crawford and sponsor SUPERSEAL Construction Products in the NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona International Speedway on February 18th. Crew Chief Travis Sharpe will once again call the shots for Crawford as he looks to take the #73 Chevrolet Silverado to victory lane. Tagsby Racing teamed with Crawford, Sharpe and Superseal three times in 2010 producing a top 10 finish (8th) at Chicagoland Speedway. The 2011 opening race at Daytona marks the 12th consecutive time that Crawford has raced at the World Center of Speed. Crawford, who holds the record for most starts in the series, is also one of only three drivers who have raced in every Camping World Truck Series race at Daytona. In his 11 previous starts he boasts an impressive 6 top tens, 3 top fives and was the 2003 race winner in one of the closest and most exciting finishes in series history. SUPERSEAL Construction Products is the North American market leader in dimpled membranes for dampproofing and waterproofing systems for construction applications.(Tagsby Racing PR)(2-10-11)
- Waltrip to pilot #15 for VAR at Daytona: Vision Aviation Racing has announced that Waltrip will pilot the No. 15 NASCAR.COM RaceView/Wounded Warrior Project/Vision Airlines Tundra in the Feb. 18 truck race. The No. 15’s sponsor NASCAR.COM RaceView is the most comprehensive Sprint Cup race experience online allowing fans to watch the action and listen to live in-car audio right from a computer. NASCAR.COM will also be launching Truck Race Buddy, content which will provide live feeds of racing action from four different camera angles and a mosaic view, all featuring the natural sounds of the at-track action. Vision Airlines and The Wounded Warrior Project, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to honoring and empowering wounded service men and women, will also be partnering up with VAR and Waltrip for the NextEra Energy Resources 250 in Daytona.(Vision Aviation Racing PR)(2-10-2011)
- Triple-duty for Bodine at Daytona: UPDATE Tire Kingdom to sponsor; image added: For the first time in his 24-year national series racing career, two-time and defending Camping World Truck Series champion Todd Bodine will compete in all three NASCAR divisions in next month’s Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway. Bodine will race his championship-winning No. 30 in the Feb. 18 Truck race; the Nationwide car, which is locked into the field for the Feb. 19 season opener thanks to Michael Annett’s 14th-place finish in the 2010 owners’ points; and owner Larry Gunselman’s No. 64, which has a technical alliance with the Germains, in the qualifying rounds for the 53rd Daytona 500. Bodine said there was sponsorship in place for all three programs, which has yet to be announced.(nascar.com)(1-13-2011)
UPDATE: Tire Kingdom, a leading brand of automotive service centers for the Florida-based TBC Retail Group, announced that it will be the primary sponsor in Todd Bodine’s quest to compete in NASCAR’s three national racing series for Germain Racing at Daytona International Speedway. A 36-time NASCAR winner, Bodine is entered in the No. 30 Tire Kingdom Toyota Tundra for the Feb. 18 Camping World Truck Series race, the No. 15 Tire Kingdom Toyota Camry for the Feb. 19 Nationwide Series event and the No. 60 Tire Kingdom Toyota Camry for the Feb. 20 Daytona 500 Sprint Cup Series opener. Bodine’s vehicles for the season-opening races will also carry associate sponsorship from Valvoline and TBC Retail’s other automotive service centers — NTB – National Tire and Battery, Merchant’s Tire and Auto Centers and Big O Tires.(Germain Racing PR) [Image of the #30 Tire Kingdom Toyota truck being driven by Todd Bodine at Daytona is posted on the #30 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.] (2-9-2011)
- Red Bull DD driver, Whitt full-time to Turn One Racing: Fresh off his first season in stock cars, Red Bull Racing Team development driver Cole Whitt is taking the next step in his NASCAR career. The 19-year-old will drive Turn One Racing full-time this season in the Camping World Truck Series. Whitt and Turn One Racing, owned by veteran NASCAR driver Stacy Compton, have a one-race head start on 2011. The 2008 USAC National Midget Series champion, Whitt spent 2010 in NASCAR’s K&N Pro Series East. In his first start, Whitt won the pole and finished third at Greenville-Pickens Speedway. He went on to finish fourth in points with two poles, six top fives and seven top 10s in only 10 races. Whitt takes over a truck that finished 14th in the 2010 owner points. Marcus Richmond returns as crew chief in 2011. (Red Bull Racing PR)(2-9-2011)
- George crew chief for #51: UPDATE Almirola at Daytona, formal announcement made; image added: Hearing that Doug George is now the crew chief for the #51 truck with the newly formed Vision Aviation Racing team that recently merged with Billy Ballew Motorsports. Also hearing that Aric Almirola will be the driver for the #51 in the season-opener at Daytona. Justin Johnson and Dusty Davis are slated to drive the remainder of the season, but need to get approval from NASCAR to run the superspeedways. [For past news on this new team see the December NCWTS News Archives Page.](Nancy/Jayski.com)(1-12-2011)
UPDATE: Vision Aviation Racing announced today that Aric Almirola will drive the No.51 Vision Airlines/Emerald Coast Resorts Toyota Tundra in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Daytona International Speedway on Friday, February 18, 2011. Almirola will be climbing behind the wheel of the same equipment that propelled him to a second-place points finish in the 2010 NCWTS driver standings. Coming off his most successful season in the Truck Series since his debut in 2005, Almirola visited victory lane twice and racked up 11 top-five and 21 top-10 finishes to round out the 2010 season.(Vision Aviation Racing PR) [Rendering of the #51 Vision Airlines/Emerald Coast Resorts Toyota is posted on the #51 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.](2-9-2011)
- Dillon starts early with a win at Volusia: Austin Dillon powered to a DIRTcar UMP Modified victory on Tuesday night in the opener to the 40th Annual DIRTcar Nationals By University of Northwestern Ohio at Volusia Speedway Park. Austin’s brother, Ty, started on the pole for the 20-lap main event but fell out with three laps to go after making contact with Clint Bowyer and finished 15th. Both Ty and Austin also won heat races. Austin Dillon, of Welcome, N.C., and the grandson of storied NASCAR car owner Richard Childress, dove past his brother in Turn 1 at the big half-mile dirt oval on the third circuit and powered to victory to kick off the 12-night event. There were 73 DIRTcar UMP Modifieds signed in to race in addition to several World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series stars, who used the night for a practice session to gear up for the next five nights of Sprint Car racing at Volusia in conjunction with the DIRTcar UMP Modifieds.(Dirt Car Nationals.com)(2-9-2011)
- KHI & JEGS continue partnership in 2011: Kevin Harvick Inc. and JEGS Mail Order announced today the continuation of their full-time partnership which began last season. JEGS Mail Order will once again be the primary sponsor on the No. 2 Chevrolet for KHI co-owner Kevin Harvick in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on September 24.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-08-11)
- Images added: Rendering and photos of Randy Moss Motorsports #5 International/MAXXForce/Monoco RV Toyota being driven by Travis Kvapil and rendering of Germain Racing’s #77 Lofton Cattle Toyota being driven by Justin Lofton are posted. Check them out via the 2011 NCWTS Paint Schemes page.(2-7-2011)
- Sad News — Rose Gay: The mother of Red Horse Racing crew chief Rick Gay passed away Saturday morning in Rochester, N.Y. Rose Gay was 81. Rick Gay serves as crew chief for Miguel Paludo. The family will receive friends Monday Feb. 7th, from 4-8 PM at the Newcomer Funeral Home, 6 Empire Blvd. Rose’s Mass of Christian Burial will be held Tuesday at 10 AM at Holy Name of Jesus Church, 15 St. Martin’s Way. For more details, visit the New Comer Funeral Home.(2-7-2011)
- Hunt Brothers Pizza to sponsor KHI: Hunt Brothers Pizza will serve as a primary sponsor for the KHI No. 2 and No. 4 Nationwide Series entries, with Kevin Harvick and Elliott Sadler behind the wheel. Hunt Brothers Pizza will also be represented as primary sponsor of the KHI No. 2 Chevrolet in the Truck Series, with drivers Harvick and Sadler.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(2-7-2011)
- Gale returns to series for six: Cale Gale of Mobile has landed a sponsored ride for six NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races this year. The 25-year-old — a promising young talent who fell victim to the recession and the lack of sponsorship dollars in racing — will drive the No. 2 Chevy Silverado for Kevin Harvick Inc. thanks to sponsorship from Rheem, the AC/heating company. Gale, who was named after three-time NASCAR champion Cale Yarborough, will compete at Nashville in April, Texas in June and Iowa in July. In October he will drive at Kentucky, Las Vegas and at Talladega. Rheem is also sponsoring Gale in several super late model races this season, including The Rattler in March at South Alabama Speedway, the Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola in December, at Gresham Motorsports Park in Georgia and at the recently reopened North Wilkesboro Speedway in North Carolina.(AL.com)(2-5-2011)
- Lucas Oil to sponsor Dover & Nashville events: Lucas Oil, Dover International Speedway and Nashville Superspeedway have entered into a new partnership agreement that names the manufacturer of problem solving additives and high performance lubricants as title sponsor of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series events at both Dover Motorsports, Inc. facilities. The “Lucas Oil 200” NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on Friday, May 13 will kickoff the May 13-15, 2011 NASCAR tripleheader at the Monster Mile in Dover, Del. The “Lucas Deep Clean 200” NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on Friday, July 22 will be held under the lights at Nashville Superspeedway in Lebanon, Tenn. as part of a NASCAR doubleheader on July 22-23, 2011.(Nashville Superspeedway PR)(2-4-2011)
- Liberty Tire Recycling sponsoring Bell at Daytona: Hometown, grassroots racing team MAKE Motorsports will kick off the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season at Daytona with returning primary sponsor Liberty Tire Recycling on their No. 50 Chevy Silverado entry. As the nation’s premier provider of tire recycling services, Liberty Tire Recycling will team up with MAKE to spread their message in a positive way. “At Liberty Tire Recycling, the premier provider of tire recycling services in North America, we are pleased to continue our partnership with MAKE Motorsports as the official sponsor of MAKE Motorsports #50 Chevrolet Silverado,” Jeffrey Kendall, CEO of Liberty Tire Recycling. “As leaders in both of our respective fields, Liberty Tire Recycling and MAKE Motorsports are dedicated to helping spread the word about the importance of sustainability, and this partnership enables us to do so. Driver T.J. Bell will be behind the wheel of the No. 50 Liberty Tire Recycling Chevy at Daytona International Speedway. MAKE Motorsports has appointed Tom Buzze as the crew chief to lead the team into competition at the season opener.(Make Motorsports PR)(2-4-2011)
- Sad News — Lawrence Pollock: Lawrence Pollock, 86, of Kansas City, Kansas, passed away Tuesday, February 1, 2011, at home. Pollock was the grandfather of Camping World Truck Series driver, Jennifer Joe Cobb. Mr. Pollock was born March 1, 1924 in Kansas City, Kansas and lived in the area all of his life. He was a corporal in the Marine’s 1st division in WWII and was a recipient of a purple heart. He was married to his wife Louise for 46 years who preceded him in death. More information available at Highland Park Funeral Home.com.(2-4-2011)
- Sauter teams up with SafeAuto in 2011: If Sauter and his newly-sponsored No. 13 Safe Auto/Curb Records Chevrolet can reach victory lane as often as Sauter thinks they are capable of, being in position to fight for the championship in the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway is all but assured. SafeAuto Insurance Company is pleased to continue its association with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series”, company president Jon Diamond said. “We are especially happy to have someone the caliber of Johnny Sauter at the wheel of our truck.” Sauter reached victory lane once in each of his first two full-time seasons driving for ThorSport Racing in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, winning at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 2009 and following it up at Kansas Speedway in 2010. SafeAuto Insurance Company is an industry leader in providing drivers state minimum auto insurance coverage in 15 states.(ThorSport Racing PR)(2-3-2011)
- Crafton & Menards ready for 2011: Crafton’s goal heading into 2011; “Our main goal is really simple, we want to win,” Crafton said. “That’s the only thing we’ve been missing over the past two years. We’ve had poles. We’ve had a ton of top-fives and top-tens. We’ve been right up there in the points for the last three years. But we’ve only had that one win (Charlotte, 2008). We have a lot of momentum on our side after finishing the season as strong as we did last year. We’re ready to head down to Daytona and pick up right where we left off.” Crafton and his ThorSport Racing team will celebrate a unique milestone in 2011: their sponsorship with Menards will enter its tenth full season, making it the longest team and primary sponsor relationship in NASCAR Camping World Truck Series history.(ThorSport Racing PR)(2-3-2011)
- Benson plans Berlin races; still looking for NASCAR ride: Camping World Truck Series 2008 champion Johnny Benson Jr. continues to search for a NASCAR ride, but, in the meantime, the Grand Rapids driver plans to return to his Berlin Raceway roots. Benson intends to race for the charity-driven, West Michigan-based Racingawareness.com team in Berlin’s brand new Premier Boyne Machine Super Lates division this summer. The class offers template bodied Late Model stock car racing. Jeff Striegle of Byron Center, who is an owner with the Racingawareness.com team, said Benson is scheduled to compete in six races, beginning with the June 21 Rowdy 251, featuring NASCAR standout Kyle Busch. Racingawareness.com raised approximately $55,000 for the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Foundation in its first season in 2010. Striegle, along with Berlin track announcer Norm Jelsma and Mike Bursley, an owner with Perfect Circle Racecars of Jenison, founded and maintain the team.(MLive.com)(2-3-2011)
- Hornaday, Piquet & others test at Gresham: Nationwide drivers, Danica Patrick and Aric Almirola, with JR Motorsports and NASCAR Camping World Truck drivers, Ron Hornaday and Nelson Piquet Jr., drivers for Kevin Harvick Inc. tested at Gresham Motorsports Park in preparation for the 2011 season. Ron Hornaday and Nelson Piquet Jr., drivers for Kevin Harvick Inc.tested at Gresham Motorsports Park in preparation for the Camping World Series truck races at Phoenix and Bristol. Hornaday’s experience proved to be beneficial for Piquet Jr. at GMP, who will race his first full season in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in 2011. All of the drivers were extremely impressed with the track and the facilities and were pleased with all of the data gathered during their test at GMP. All agreed at the end of the day that they would be back!(Gresham Motorsports Park PR)(2-3-2011)
- White joins new team formed by lottery winner: UPDATE 2 Formal announcement made; Kendrick as crew chief: Sirius NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody has learned that Jason White will run a full championship schedule on the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series this season in Chevrolets fielded by the new Joe Denette Motorsports team, with sponsorship from Gunbroker.com. Denette’s is a true Cinderella story. A lifelong race fan, the Spotsylvania County resident won $75.6 million in the Virginia Lottery’s Mega Millions jackpot on May 1, 2009, just four months after being laid off from his job with a home building company. He opted for a lump-sum cash payout of $47.8 million, and with the assistance of fellow Virginian Hermie Sadler, Denette began assembling a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series team. “Joe has always wanted to own a NASCAR team, and now he has the resources to do it,” said Sadler. “He came to me for help getting things organized, and we were able to forge a technical alliance with Kevin Harvick, Inc. to build the team’s trucks.” Jason White will bring his Gunbroker.com sponsorship to the team this season, running the full schedule. The possibility exists for a second truck in a limited number of events, with a driver to be named later(Sirius-Speedway)(1-28-2011)
UPDATE: Hearing that the #23 team basically remains the same as last year, and Doug Howe will continue as crew chief for Jason White.
UPDATE 2: Joe Denette Motorsports will field Chevrolet’s from their Huntersville, NC based shop and will have a technical alliance with Kevin Harvick Inc. JDM will field the NCWTS entries and KHI will provide chassis and technical support. This season will mark White’s fourth full-time stint in one of NASCAR’s premier divisions, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. White will again drive the No. 23 carrying the familiar GunBroker.com paint scheme but will make the transition to Chevrolet’s powered by PME engines. Calling the shots for White and the No. 23 GunBroker.com team will be Chad Kendrick.(Joe Denette Motorsports PR)(2-2-2011)
- Alexander to host new show; Hermie Sadler fills role in pits: In 2011, SPEED is expanding its motor sports news efforts, rebranding its popular weekly program, adding multiple weekend news updates and increasing use of the SPEED Ticker to keep fans current on everything from the world of racing. The newly named SPEED Center is a series of studio-based motor sports news programs airing live from a purpose-built set at the SPEED Studios in Charlotte, N.C. Programs air at a variety of times during the race weekend, culminating in a one-hour show on Sunday nights at 7 p.m. ET. The first Sunday night show premieres Feb. 13. Adam Alexander, a longtime pit reporter for SPEED’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series coverage and spot host of NASCAR Race Hub and The SPEED Report, takes the role of lead host for SPEED Center, with racer Hermie Sadler filling Alexander’s position on pit road. Sadler continues to serve in his primary role as a reporter for NASCAR RaceDay and NASCAR Live!(SPEEDtv PR)(2-2-2011)
- Image added: Rendering of Joe Denette Motorsports #23-GunBroker.com Chevrolet is posted on the #23 NCWTS 2011 Paint Schemes page.(2-2-2011)
- Cobb picks up Daytona sponsor: Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing and Lilly’s Cosmetics have reunited for the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) “NextEra Energy Resources 250” at Daytona International Speedway February 18 in Daytona Beach, Fla. Jennifer Jo Cobb was driving her pink Lilly’s Cosmetics Ford when she made history in the 2010 season finale at Homestead-Miami (Fla.)Speedway, as the highest-finishing female driver in NASCAR points in the modern era. Lilly’s Cosmetics will return on Cobb’s No. 10 Ford F-150 at the newly paved high banks during Daytona’s famed Speedweeks. Cobb’s 2010 NCWTS performance will guarantee her a position in the 36-truck starting field. The race will be aired live on SPEED. Lilly’s Cosmetics offers the finest-quality, and best-selling cosmetics and skin care products at affordable prices. The easy-to-access website allows customers to shop at their convenience, from the comfort of their home.(Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing PR)(2-1-2011)
- Germain Racing images added: Initial renderings for three of the four Germain Racing trucks have been added; #30-Germain.com Toyota with driver Todd Bodine; #9-GEICO Toyota with driver Max Papis; #62-South Point Hotel & Casino Toyota with driver Brendan Gaughan. Check them out via the 2011 NCWTS Paint Schemes page.(2-1-2011)
- Berry to Germain with Gaughan: Bryan Berry has left Tri-Star Motorsports to take a new position as crew chief for Brendan Gaughan’s #62 Germain Racing/South Point Hotel and Casino Toyota on the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Berry and Gaughan have a long history together, with at least three different stints as driver and crewchief. Berry sat atop Gaughan’s pit box at South Point Racing beginning in 2006, and later replaced Tony “Rambo” Liberati in the crewchief’s role, accompanying Gaughan to Circle Bar Racing and then to the NASCAR Nationwide Series with Rusty Wallace Racing.(Sirius-Speedway.com)(2-1-2011)
Camping World Truck Series News & Rumors Archives
[Listed by Month]
the Jayski site is housed at:
Born On Date: January 1, 2011
This page designed by Jayski LLC, 1996-2016©. All Rights Reserved.
Jayski’s® is a registered trademark of Jayski, LLC
Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form without permission or credit.