Camping World Truck Series News Archives
- Memphis truck race lands sponsor: After lacking a title sponsor for much of the year, June’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Memphis Motorsports Park has a new identity: the MemphisTravel.com 200 presented by O’Reilly Auto Parts. The Memphis Convention and Visitors Bureau takes over the title sponsorship of the race, which is an extension of a longtime partnership between the track and the bureau. CVB president Kevin Kane said NASCAR racing in Memphis is a great vehicle to promote the city as a tourist destination. O’Reilly had been the title sponsor of the Memphis Truck race since 2002, but reduced its race sponsorships across the board after signing on as the official auto parts store of NASCAR.(Memphis Commercial Appeal)(5-31-2009)
- Goodyear tire notes – Dover: Teams in all three NASCAR series will run the same tire codes at Dover this week, though the tires for the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series will be branded “Goodyear Eagle,” while the tires for the Camping World Truck Series will be branded “Goodyear Wrangler” . . . this is the same tire combination that Sprint Cup and Nationwide teams ran at Dover last fall . . . additionally, this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires that Cup and Truck teams will run at Michigan in two weeks . . . unlike on most NASCAR ovals one mile or less in length — on which teams do not run inner liners — teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Dover . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire. [Complete specs can be found on the Dover Race Page] (Goodyear PR)(5-29-2009)
- Strutmasters extends sponsorship of Timothy Peters and #17 truck: Strutmasters.com has announced it will continue sponsorship of driver Timothy Peters [#17] and Premier Racing’s Toyotas for the rest of the 2009 season in NASCAR’s Camping World Truck Series. Strutmasters, which started in owner Chip Lofton’s converted dairy barn in 1999, provides consumers an affordable alternative to expensive and problematic air ride suspension systems found on luxury vehicles. The company ships suspension conversion kits to thousands of auto repair shops, parts stores and dealers across North America. Retail customers can order by visiting the Strutmasters.com website. Peters said keep the Strutmasters.com logos on his Toyota Tundra trucks “comes at the perfect time” because the series returns to one of his favorite tracks Friday night, Dover’s Monster Mile. He qualified a career-best fourth and came home sixth there in 2006.(Strutmasters/Premier Racing PR)(5-28-2009)
- TRG Motorsports truck operation suspended? UPDATE off Dover entry list: Hearing the #7 TRG team has suspended operations and crew chief Butch Hylton has parted ways with the team.(5-26-2009)
UPDATE: The final entry list for the AAA Insurance 200 at Dover has been posted; #7 & the TRG Motorsports entry is no longer entered.(5-28-2009)
- Whitt to drive Hackett Racing’s second entry at Dover UPDATE Entry withdrawn: Ray Hackett Racing has announced that they will be bring two trucks to Dover for this weekend’s AAA Insurance 200. Ryan Hackett will be driving the #75 truck and Brandon Whitt will be in the #76 Ford.( Hackett Racing PR)(5-26-2009)
UPDATE: #75 entry for Hackett Racing was withdrawn from final entry list at Dover. Ryan Hackett moves to the #76; Brandon Whitt not scheduled to drive.(5-28-2009)
- NASCAR suspends crew member following LMS: UPDATE Statement from SS Green Light Racing: In the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, Andrew Crnkovic, crew member of the #07 team, has been suspended indefinitely from NASCAR for violating Section 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 rule book. The date of the rules infraction was May 21.(NASCAR PR)(5-27-2009)
UPDATE: We have been notified that Andrew Crnkovic, a former member of the SS-Green Light racing team failed a random drug test last week at Charlotte. It is and always has been the philosophy of the SS-Green Light Racing team that substance abuse has no place in sports or on our team. We have a “no-tolerance” substance abuse policy and we intend to uphold that policy and follow through with the standards of conduct we have established for our team. Additionally, we have great respect for the drug testing policies NASCAR has in place and believe the changes have made a positive difference for NASCAR.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(5-28-2009)
- Almirola to power #15-Samsung Instinct for BBM in Texas: NASCAR Sprint Cup driver, Aric Almirola is slated to drive the #15 Samsung Instinct NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Toyota Tundra in the WinStar World Casino 400 at Texas Motor Speedway, Friday June 5, 2009. Almirola piloted a Camping World Truck Series entry for Billy Ballew Motorsports in 2007 at Memphis Motorsports Park. He has one previous NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start and four Camping World Truck Series starts at Texas Motor Speedway.(Billy Ballew Motorsports PR)(5-28-2009)
- Copart to sponsor Milwaukee Mile event: The Milwaukee Mile is pleased to announce Copart, an online vehicle remarketing company that sells more than 1 million cars per year, has been named entitlement sponsor of the speedway’s Friday night, June 19 Copart 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) event. The Copart 200, as the event will be called, is an extension of Copart’s involvement in NASCAR, specifically with the Truck Series teams of Germain Racing with driver Todd Bodine and Kevin Harvick Inc. with driver Ron Hornaday for a set amount of races this season. This is the first time Copart will be a NASCAR event entitlement sponsor.(Milwaukee Mile PR)(5-27-2009)
- NASCAR technology provider TIWI to sponsor McCumbee: inthinc, inc., a developer and manufacturer of technologies to improve driving safety, today announced that it has teamed with the SS Green Light Racing team as the primary sponsor for four NASCAR Camping World Truck Series events in 2009. inthinc will feature its tiwi brand on driver Chad McCumbee’s #07 Chevrolet at Dover Int’l Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, Chicagoland Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Utilizing the same technology used for motorsports, in addition to commercial fleet and heavy trucking applications, tiwi is a first-of-its-kind system to mentor and monitor teen drivers as they develop critical driving habits. It is an onboard computer with the power to instantly alert and instruct young drivers while, at the same time, enabling parents to receive real-time notifications by phone, text or email concerning their teen’s current location, actions and driving safety.(PPR Plus/SS Green Light Racing PR)(5-27-2009)
- Australian Gold to sponsor Crafton for next two races: Rolling into Dover International Speedway for Friday night’s Camping World Truck Series race, Matt Crafton is going for the gold; Australian Gold. For the next two weekends, Crafton’s signature neon-yellow Menards Chevy Silverado will give way to a brand new gold paint scheme with sponsor Australian Gold and their complete line of SPF sunscreen and tanning products. Crafton comes into Dover as one of the hottest drivers on the circuit with top-10 finishes in five of six races this season, including a third-place run at Charlotte.(Thorsport Racing PR)(5-27-2009)
- Rookie leader, Malsam makes first trip to Dover: Friday’s race at Dover International Speedway will be Tayler Malsam’s first race at the track known as The Monster Mile. After his eighth-place finish at Lowe’s Motor Speedway, Malsam expanded his lead in the Raybestos Rookie of the Year point standings. The Seattle, Washington native currently holds a five point lead over James Buescher. Through the first six races of the 2009 NCWTS season, Malsam and his #81 One Eighty Toyota have accumulated two top-10 finishes and has recorded five top-15 finishes. (Randy Moss Motorsports PR)(5-27-2009)
- Fontaine to be sponsored by FRAXA at Dover UPDATE more sponsorship: Chris Fontaine Inc. is proud to be sponsored by FRAXA for the AAA Insurance 200 at Dover International Speedway on Friday, May 29th. We at Chris Fontaine Inc. are excited to help support awareness of Fragile X Syndrome and will be racing the #84 truck with FRAXA logos. Fragile X is the most common, inherited cause of mental impairment and the most common known cause of autism. Chris Fontaine Inc. will use the race truck and crew to help promote greater public awareness for the disease within the NASCAR racing community by partnering with FRAXA during the running of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at the Dover International Speedway.(Chris Fontaine Inc. PR)(5-20-2009)
UPDATE: Chris Fontaine has announced that the team has sponsorship with BDH Constructions Services and FRAXA Organization to help support the awareness of Fragile X Syndrome among NASCAR fans. BDH Constructions Services, LLC is a construction company based in Winter Haven, FL that does jobs in the state of Florida.(Chris Fontaine Inc. PR)(5-26-2009)
- Double-duty for Papis at Dover: A busy weekend awaits Papis in Dover. He will be competing in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in the #9 GEICO Toyota Tundra and then attempt to qualify his #13 GEICO Toyota Camry for the seventh of twenty scheduled NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races for the Germain Racing team.(PMI/Germain Racing PR)(5-26-2009)
- Win-Tron Racing enters Dover; plan to run 3-5 races: Win-Tron Racing is set to make their Camping World Series debut this weekend in the AAA Insurance 200 at Dover Int’l Speedway. Scott Wimmer has been named as driver of the #31-Wolfpack Rentals Chevy at Dover; Michael Chaffee is crew chief. The team plans to run 3-5 races during the remainder of the 2009 season.(Win-Tron Racing PR)(5-26-2009)
- Raybestos Rookie News & Notes – Dover: #81-Tayler Malsam was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in the May 15 North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. Malsam scored an eighth-place finish, his best effort in eight NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts and the best by a Raybestos Rookie in seven races at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. Malsam grabbed top rookie honors for the second time in 2009 and is the only first-year driver to claim the honor more than once. He leads James Buescher by five points (62-57) in the Raybestos Rookie standings entering the May 29 AAA Insurance 200 at Dover Int’l Speedway. Raybestos Rookie Scott Speed won the 2008 AAA Insurance 200 at Dover, crossing the finish line 3.379 seconds ahead of second-place Jack Sprague. Speed led the race once covering the final 51 laps. Kurt Busch (2000) is the only Raybestos Rookie to win a pole position in nine races at Dover.(Raybestos PR)(5-26-2009)
- Hackett hosts special guests at Dover: Coming off his first top twenty finish in only his third truck series start, Ryan Hackett will be hosting some very special guests at this weekend’s AAA Insurance 200 at Dover International Speedway. Ryan is pleased to announce what hopes to be a long standing relationship with the “Believe In Tomorrow Children’s Foundation.” Not only will Ryan be sporting a logo of the charity on his #76 truck but some of the foundation’s families will be guests of the team during Friday’s events. The Believe In Tomorrow Children’s Foundation is a non-profit organization in operation since 1982. Headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland its mission is to bring comfort, joy and hope to critically ill children and their families enabling them to renew their spirits mentally and physically. Families will have lunch with the team, receive a garage tour, and patients will be painting their handprints on Ryan’s truck around the Believe In Tomorrow logo for good luck prior to the race. For more info on Believe In Tomorrow please visit www.believeintomorrow.org. Hackett’s website, www.ryanhackett.net will permanently feature a link to the foundation’s donation page. (Ray Hackett Racing PR)(5-26-2009)
- VFW returns as sponsor for Hornaday at Dover: For the second time this season, VFW will sponsor the #33-KHI Chevy, with driver Ron Hornaday for this Friday’s AAA Insurance 200 at Dover Int’l Speedway. In four Dover starts, three-time Truck Series champion Ron Hornaday has never finished outside the top 10. Headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri, the VFW is a non-profit organization dedicated to honoring the sacrifice and ensuring the rights of America’s veterans through advocacy, support and community service, while promoting patriotism.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(5-25-2009)
- Skinner, Carpentier & Simo to replace Riggs in Cup for TBR: Mike Skinner, Patrick Carpentier and Brian Simo will share the driving duties of the Tommy Baldwin Racing Toyota for the remainder of the 2009 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season following the departure of Scott Rigs. Skinner will drive 17 of the remaining 25 races on the 2009 schedule. Carpentier will be behind the wheel during both Poconos, the June 28 race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, the September 12 race at Richmond International Speedway and wrap up with the September 27 race at Dover Int’l Speedway. Brian Simo will navigate the #36 machine during the two road course events.(Tommy Baldwin Racing PR)(5-25-2009)
- Ickler makes first series start at Dover with BBM: Brian Ickler will take to the track for his second start at Dover International Speedway but first start in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Friday, May 29, 2009. Ickler will pilot the #15 Samsung Instinct Billy Ballew Motorsports Toyota Tundra in the AAA Insurance 200 race on the one-mile track. Ickler sat on the pole in the NASCAR Camping World East Series race at what has been named the “Monster Mile” at Dover International Speedway in 2008.(Billy Ballew Motorsports PR)(5-25-2009)
- KHI trucks to run special decal to honor Jaret’s Angels: This weekend the #33 and #4 KHI trucks will run a special decal in honor of Jaret’s Angels. Jaret’s Angels is a family-and-friend support group for 10-year-old Jaret Arneson, who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of two. All of the donations collected by Jaret’s Angels go directly to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. With more than $15,000 raised in 2009, Jaret’s Angels has reached a true milestone, collecting more than $100,000 since Jaret was diagnosed in 2000. While KHI is racing with Jaret’s Angels on the trucks at Dover, Jaret will be leading a contingent of family and friends a short distance away at the JDRF Walk for the Cure at Washington Nationals Stadium in Washington D.C. In June, he will be among 150 kids from around the country selected to participate in the JDRF Children’s Congress, where children with diabetes tell their stories to Congress in search of support for government-backed research funding.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(5-25-2009)
- Teams in all three series to sport Autism Speaks logo during race weekend at Dover: Since the title of the Sunday, May 31, 2009 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Dover International Speedway was announced, the NASCAR community has come together to offer their support for a great cause. Drivers and teams in all three of NASCAR’s national series have answered the call to sport the Autism Speaks blue puzzle piece logo on their vehicles as a sign of support for the nation’s leading autism science and advocacy organization. Participating drivers and teams include:
Johnny Benson, #1 Toyota Tundra
Max Papis, #9 GEICO Toyota Tundra
TJ Bell, #11 VisitPIT.com Toyota Tundra
James Buescher, #10 International MaxxForce Diesel Ford F-150
Rick Crawford, #14 International Truck & Engines Ford F-150
Brian Scott, #16 Albertsons Toyota Tundra
David Starr, #24 Autism Speaks/ HT Motorsports Toyota Tundra
Terry Cook, #25 Cajun Industries Toyota Tundra
Todd Bodine, #30 Copart Toyota Tundra
HT Motorsports Toyota in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, have taken their support to the next level. David Starr’s Toyota Tundra will sport Autism Speaks’ signature puzzle piece logo, “It’s time to listen,” phrase and website address AutismSpeaks.org on their quarter panels. Starr will also feature the same messaging proudly on his hood.(Dover Raceway PR)(5-22-2009)
- SS Green Light Racing looking to run full season: SS Green Light Racing has one of the longest tenures in the Camping World Truck Series having started over two hundred consecutive races over the last eight years. The 2009 plan has been to run Chad McCumbee in 12-15 races and then try to capitalize on the strong finishes to gain additional sponsorship to try and run the full season. Co-owners Ken Smith and Bobby Dotter are currently recruiting funded drivers wishing to compete in top-tier equipment for selected races during the second half of the 2009 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season beginning with the Camping World RV Sales 200 at the Milwaukee Mile on June 19th. Chad McCumbee is currently sitting eighth in NCWTS point standings as well driving the SS Green Light #07 entry. He is very impressed with the quality of the equipment and the talent the team has assembled. “I have had some of the best trucks this year I’ve ever driven. Bobby and the SS Green Light team have done a great job and the results really show on the track.” McCumbee said. “I have so much respect for Bobby that I’m willing to do whatever he and Ken feel needs to be done to help this team grow. If I have to take a back seat to help better the #07 team, I’ll do it. Right now the economy is hurting so much and being a team player is what we need to keep this team together and keep the #07 in the owners points. If we can find the proper funding to run additional races, hopefully I’ll be in position to benefit.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(5-22-2009)
- Fitzpatrick to Kevin Harvick Inc. UPDATE: KHI makes formal announcement: J.R. Fitzpatrick, the 20-year-old racing prodigy from Cambridge who stood the NASCAR world on its ear at Daytona in February by finishing fourth in the Camping World Truck Series race, has struck a deal to drive for Kevin Harvick’s organization this season. Harvick, who has teams entered in all three of NASCAR’s big-league divisions – Sprint Cup, Nationwide stock cars and Camping World Trucks – has reportedly come to terms with Fitzpatrick and the announcement of just exactly what’s in store will be made this week. Hint: Expect truck races and maybe a stock car race or two to be part of the expected news release.(Toronto Star)(5-19-2009)
UPDATE: Kevin Harvick Inc. has announced that J.R. Fitzpatrick will compete for the team in selected events in both the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and the NASCAR Nationwide Series throughout the remainder of the 2009 season. The Cambridge, Ontario, Canada native will pilot a KHI entry in eight NASCAR Camping World Truck Series events, beginning with the AAA Insurance 200 at Dover International Speedway on May 29. [For the Dover race, Fitzpatrick is scheduled to drive the #4 KHI Chevy](Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(5-21-2009)
- AAA Insurance 200 marks 10th anniversary of NCWTS racing at the Monster Mile: What started out as a demonstration among off-road racing enthusiasts today has grown into the #3 motorsports series in the U.S., and a signature Friday event that kicks off the spring weekend of racing at Dover International Speedway. The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will celebrate its 10th anniversary of racing at the Monster Mile when it takes the green flag for the “AAA Insurance 200” on Friday, May 29 – a grueling 200-mile test for drivers and their equipment. Kurt Busch won from pole in the inaugural race in 2000, and just five years later in 2005, brother Kyle would take the win in what marked the Truck Series 250th event. In 2006, Mark Martin became the first driver to win in all three NASCAR series at Dover, an accomplishment later tied by Kyle Busch after he won in both the NASCAR Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup Series at Dover in 2008. The 2007 Dover race celebrated the series 300th event, a race which saw three-time series champion Ron Hornaday take home his first monster trophy. And the 2008 race ended with Scott Speed – a relative newcomer to the sport at the time – celebrating in Victory Lane after winning his first career NASCAR race.(Dover Int’l Speedway PR)(5-21-2009)
- Image added: New photos of the HT Motorsports #25 CajunUSA.com Toyota driven by Terry Cook are posted on the 2009 Paint Scheme Page.(5-21-2009)
- Update on Skinner following fiery wreck at Lowe’s: Mike Sinner [#5 Toyota] is fine after a scary wreck in Friday Night’s NASCAR Truck race. Skinner commented that he had absolutely no soreness in his head, neck or shoulders after a wreck that has caused major injuries in the past. Skinner said that his Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid head restraint worked flawlessly to protect him.(Safety Solutions PR)(5-21-2009)
- Carmichael takes on the Law at TMS: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series rookie Ricky Carmichael took on the law and … he won. Carmichael, a two-wheel legend more known for his 15 motocross championships, dusted off his former skills and hopped aboard a motocross bike to challenge the Fort Worth Police Department Motorcycle Unit on a skills competition course at Texas Motor Speedway. Carmichael, at TMS to promote the June 5 WinStar World Casino 400 truck series race, competed against Officer Mike Richey in a motorcycle skills course on pit road that involved the same drills given to those training to become a motorcycle officer. The course consisted of three drills – intersection, offset cone weave, and in and out box – built into one course and Carmichael showed no signs of rust. Carmichael, using a Suzuki RM-Z450 provided by Action Suzuki/Kawasaki of Mesquite, ran the course in 49.733 seconds compared to 52.971 seconds of Officer Richey, who was riding a 2009 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. Fans can watch Carmichael and the rest of the truck series drivers compete under the lights during the WinStar World Casino 400 on June 5th.(Texas Motor Speedway PR)(5-20-2009)
- Benson to race in several ISMA events: Johnny Benson has announced that he will be hitting the International Supermodified Association (ISMA) trail on eight occasions due to fewer schedule conflicts between the two series. His first appearance in his new #21 will be at Waterford Speedbowl in Connecticut on Saturday. While the two divisions are like night and day, Benson’s affinity to the powerful supermodifieds comes naturally. Benson’s father is a former supermodified champion and was the winner of the 1966 International Classic at Oswego Speedway. Prior to his limited number of runs in the Lichty car in the past few seasons, Benson had no prior open-wheel experience, but he indicated in a past interview that he loves racing in the ISMA supermodified division. Benson’s own car was debuted at Berlin Raceway last September. It carries the number 21, which his father’s car carried decades ago.(The Palladium-Times)(5-19-2009)
- Monday Rundown – Racing Resources Says…
*Ron Hornaday Jr. won the North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. Hornaday posted his series-leading 40th victory in his 231st race; his last victory came at Texas in October.
*Hornaday scored his second series victory at Lowe’s in his fifth race.
*The last time Hornaday won at Lowe’s in a Kevin Harvick Inc. truck was in May 2007. Team owner Kevin Harvick won the All-Star Race the following night that season.
*Kevin Harvick Inc. scored its 19th series win — 14th by Hornaday — and 23rd NASCAR victory.
*This is Hornaday’s eighth win on a 1.5-mile track, one behind Todd Bodine for the most all-time in the series. Hornaday became the fifth race winner in the six races of 2009. He led once for 29 laps.
*Hornaday won everything Friday; he was the fastest in first and last practice and was sitting on the pole when rain cancelled time trials.
*Hornaday took over the points lead by 84 over Mike Skinner. Skinner finished 29th.
*Nine of the top 10 in points changed positions.
*John Jackson, 34th, made his series debut. Taylor Malsam was eighth, his best career finish. He was the highest-finishing rookie contender among the six rookies in the race.
*The top 10 consisted of five Toyotas and five Chevrolets. The highest-finishing Dodge was Jason White, 23rd. Rick Crawford, 11th, drove the highest-finishing Ford.
*Kyle Busch, second, was as low as 24th on lap 33 after serving a pit road penalty for too many crew members over the wall.
*On Lap 87, Colin Braun was wrecked while leading by Busch. Braun, who led 43 laps, had led only 28 laps in his career coming into the race. Busch was sent to the rear on the restart for rough driving.
*Bodine spun while leading on Lap 95.(ESPN.com)(5-18-2009)
- Wix Filters Lap Leader Notes following Lowe’s – Hornaday leader: #33-Ron Hornaday Jr. led once for 29 laps to earn WIX Filters Lap Leader of the Race honors in the North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Lowe’s Motor Speedway on Friday night. Hornaday claimed the honor for the fourth time this season and has led at least one lap in five of the six races this season for a total of 114 laps. Hornaday Jr. has now led 71 times in 127 superspeedway races for 3,264 total laps. Hornaday Jr. has scored a top-10 finish in all six races this season (seventh-place or better). Unofficially, Hornaday Jr. holds an 84-point lead over Mike Skinner in the series championship standings and is 89 points ahead of third-place Matt Crafton.(Wix Filters PR)(5-16-2009)
- Malsam Rookie of the Race; 8th place finish, best effort to-date: #81-Tayler Malsam scored an eighth-place finish in tonight’s race, his best effort in eight NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts. Malsam grabbed Raybestos Rookie of the Race honors for the second time in 2009 and is the only first-year driver to claim the honor more than once. Unofficially, Malsam leads James Buescher by five points (62-57) in the Raybestos Rookie standings.(Raybestos PR)(5-16-2009)
- Gilliland in the #7 for TRG Motorsports at Lowe’s UPDATE Plan to run all companion races: David Gilliland will be going for the weekend Hat-Trick at Lowe’s Motor Speedway starting Friday, May 15th with his appearance in the #7 TRG Motorsports Chevrolet Silverado in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series North Carolina Education Lottery 200 race. Gilliland will then transition to the #71 team Sprint Cup car for the Sprint All-Star Open race and then the Coca-Cola 600 in 10-days. Gilliland has two Camping World Truck Series starts in his career, both at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, the last in 2005.(DavidGilliland.com)(5-15-2009)
UPDATE: During the practice session broadcast on SPEED/tv, Adam Alexander reported that the plan is for Gilliland to run all Cup/Truck companion races in the #7 TRG Chevy if sponsorship comes through for the team.(5-15-2009)
- Goodyear Tire Notes – Lowe’s Motor Speedway: Teams in all three NASCAR series will run the same tire codes at Charlotte, though the tires for the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series will be branded “Goodyear Eagle,” while those for the Camping World Truck Series will be branded “Goodyear Wrangler” . . . this is the first time teams will be running either of these two tire codes at Charlotte . . . this left-side tire code (D-4248) is brand new to the Goodyear tire lineup . . . it has a softer compound than the left-side run at Charlotte last year and will give the cars/trucks more grip . . . this right-side tire code (D-4234) was run with great success earlier this season by Sprint Cup and Nationwide cars at Las Vegas . . . this tire set-up was tested at Charlotte on March 17-18 . . . participating in that test were Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet), Kasey Kahne (Dodge), Marcos Ambrose (Toyota) and Paul Menard (Ford) . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Charlotte . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire. [For complete tire specs visit the Lowe’s Race Page](Goodyear PR)(5-14-2009)
- Images added: Added new schemes for the following trucks: #30-Todd Bodine, Copart.com Toyota; #11-T.J. Bell, Visit Pit.com Toyota; #15-Brian Ickler, Samsung Instinct Toyota; #09-John Wes Townley, Zaxby’s Toyota. Also added photo from Kansas; #65-J.J. Yeley, Country Building Centers Chevy. Check them out on the 2009 Paint Scheme Page.(5-14-2009)
- Bodine & Gunselman Group take to the track for All-Star Showdown: Todd Bodine and the #64 Toyota team of Gunselman Motorsports won’t have to travel far for this weekend’s racing action. The Sprint Showdown takes place on Saturday evening before the All-Star Race at nearby Lowe’s Motor Speedway. Aiding in the team’s anticipation is the fact they will be using the same car Red Bull Racing won the Showdown with last year. Larry Gunselman, team owner, purchased the chassis from Red Bull in the off-season. Stripped of its previous decals, the silver #64 Toyota will be piloted by Bodine. The team is hoping to utilize practice and race action as a mini-test for next weekend’s Coca-Cola 600 at LMS.(Gunselman Motorsports PR)(5-14-2009)
- Starr to attempt Cup races at Lowe’s: Camping World Truck Series driver David Starr will be driving the #06 Boys will be Boys Racing Dodge Charger the next two weekends at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in the Sprint Showdown and Coca Cola 600. Team owner Theresa Boys has announced Starr will attempt to qualify for the Sprint Showdown this All Star weekend and for the Coca Cola 600 next weekend. Boys will be Boys Racing is currently seeking sponsorship for these two events and for the remainder of the season.(Boys will be Boys Racing PR)(5-14-2009)
- Premier Racing marks one-anniversary: The upcoming Camping World Truck Series race at Charlotte will mark the one-year anniversary for the Premier Racing team. Driver Timothy Peters observed, “We have shown the strength and the will of a top-10 team, and I feel we can compete for wins and Top-5 finishes at every race. . We have come so far in a year, and we are very fortunate to have the folks at both Strutmasters.com and Toyota backing our efforts.” Team owner Philip Hudgins, echoed Peter’s statements adding, “We came to Charlotte last year with a team that was put together in a matter of days, and now we are close to capturing our first win. We desperately need additional sponsorship to keep this program moving forward, but we have great sponsors who have supported us throughout the season, and I am hoping we can reward their loyalty with a great finish on Friday night.”(Premier Racing PR)(5-13-2009)
- ASI Limited/Spectrum Metal Finishing/Akzo Nobel return as sponsor for McCumbee: ASI Limited/Spectrum Metal Finishing/Akzo Nobel will again adorn McCumbee’s Chevy Silverado for the North Carolina 200. The companies are scheduled to be on the #07 truck for twelve races this year. The SS Green Light team is actively seeking marketing partners to run the entire twenty-five race NCWTS schedule. Chad started seventh and finished second in last year’s North Carolina Education Lottery 200, his career best finish in the NCWTS. After five events, Chad and the SS Green Light #07 team is currently eighth in NCWTS 2009 point standings.(SS Green Light Racing PR)(5-13-2009)
- New design, new truck chief for Bell as he makes second trip to Lowe’s: The North Carolina Education Lottery 200 will be TJ Bell’s second time racing at Lowe’s in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Bell marked success as he posted an impressive top-10 finish in his first attempt. The #11 Team is pleased to welcome a veteran of the sport with both Nationwide and Sprint Cup experience to the roster. Todd Brewer will debut with the #11 Red Horse Racing team as their new truck chief beginning with the North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Lowes Motor Speedway. The #11 Tundra will also be sporting new graphics for the North Carolina Education Lottery 200; VisitPIT.com. PIT stands for Performance Instruction and Training, a pit crew training center that offers many corporate training options that include team-building, lean manufacturing, motorsports demonstrations and more.(Red Horse Racing PR)(5-13-2009)
- Ponstein late entry at LMS: Corrie Stott Racing has announced plans to compete in the NC Education Lottery 200 at Lowe’s Motor Speedway this Friday with driver Andy Ponstein and the #02 truck. The team is a late entry for Charlotte but hopes to compete in some other upcoming events, with a possible two truck team if sponsorship is obtained.(Corrie Stott Racing PR)(5-13-2009)
- Moss in town for Friday’s race & as judge for Pennzoil Victory Challenge: Not only will Randy Moss Motorsports co-owner Randy Moss be in town for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on Friday, May 15th, the NFL All-Pro wide receiver will lend his judging expertise as a celebrity judge for Saturday’s Pennzoil Victory Challenge. Moss will join 16-time World Wrestling Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair, SPEED’s Jimmy Spencer, plus Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry of the award-winning country music group – Montgomery Gentry, as a judge. The event will take place on the front stretch of Lowe’s Motor Speedway immediately preceding the Sprint Showdown. SPEED Channel will carry the event live beginning at 6:00pm/et.(Randy Moss Motorsports PR)(5-12-2009)
- Bliss & Key Motorsports return at LMS: This weekend at Lowe’s Motor Speedway will be the first time the Key Motorsports #40 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Silverado hits the track since Curtis Key’s announcement that the team’s Truck program would be scaled back to part-time. Key will focus on a full-time NASCAR Nationwide Series schedule this year, while running only selected NCWTS races for the remainder of the season. This weekend the #40 Silverado will be sponsored by the team’s NNS sponsor StopRepairBills.com, as well as Westerman Companies, Raymond Key Commercial Contractors, and Curtis Key Plumbing.(Key Motorsports PR)(5-12-2009)
- Benson repeating history: Johnny Benson and his #11 team started the season with a 26th place finish and sat 25th in NASCAR driver point standings. In the last four races they have turned up the heat and rebounded from the deficit. Each week the team has improved their previous finish. They finished 12th at Atlanta, fourth at Martinsville and second in Kansas. That steady climb has put Benson in the fifth position in driver point standings going into Lowe’s Motor Speedway. It’s déjà vu for Benson, who found himself in the fifth position in points at this exact same time last year en route to earning the 2008 Camping World Truck Series Championship.(Red Horse Racing PR)(5-12-2009)
- Crafton looking to repeat win at Charlotte: Matt Crafton returns to Charlotte for Friday’s North Carolina Education Lottery 200 hoping he’s again holding the winning race ticket. In six starts at Lowe’s Motor Speedway, driving the #88 Menards Chevy, Crafton has finished in the top ten; finishing ninth in ’04 and ’05,eighth in ’06, seventh in ’07 and picking up his first series win in 2008. Five races into the 2009 season, California native, Crafton finds himself perched fourth in the standings; only 94 points behind leader Mike Skinner.(Thorsport Racing PR)(5-12-2009)
- Ballew inks four race sponsorship with Samsung Instinct: Billy Ballew Motorsports has announced that Samsung Mobile’s premiere touch screen phone, the Samsung Instinct, will be the primary sponsor on the #15 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series truck in the next four events starting at Lowe’s Motor Speedway, May 15, 2009. The Samsung Instinct will also serve as an associate sponsor of the #51 Toyota Tundra. The Samsung Instinct first served as the primary sponsor on the #15 Camping World Truck Series Tundra at Kansas Speedway earlier this month. Brian Ickler is slated to drive the #15 Samsung Instinct NASCAR Camping World Truck at Lowe’s Motor Speedway May 15th, Dover International Raceway May 29th and Michigan International Speedway June 13th, 2009. Ryan Lawler, who drove for Billy Ballew Motorsports in 2008, will take the wheel of the #15 at Texas Motor Speedway on June 5th with Ickler in the #51 Tundra. As part of the sponsorship, Samsung Mobile will be running a promotion where one lucky person will become an Honorary Billy Ballew Motorsports Pit Crew Member for the day at the upcoming NCWTS races; including the North Carolina Lottery 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race May 15, 2009.(Billy Ballew Motorsports PR) [For more informatiton on the Sweepstakes visit the Jayski Contest Page.](5-11-2009)
- Newman to make 2009 series debut at LMS; new crew chief for the #4: Ryan Newman, the 2008 Daytona 500 champion, will be making his second career start in the series on May 15, 2009, when he climbs behind the wheel of the KHI All-Stars #4 Charter Chevrolet Silverado for the North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Lowe’s Motor Speedwa. Newman’s first career Truck Series start came last October at Atlanta Motor Speedway, where he drove a Kevin Harvick Inc.-owned truck to victory in the E-Z-GO 200. This will be the first race in 2009 that the#4 Chevrolet Silverado will not be driven by KHI rookie driver, Ricky Carmichael. Carmichael is scheduled to return to the seat on June 5 at Texas Motor Speedway for the Winstar World Casino 400. John Monsam, a veteran of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, has joined Kevin Harvick Inc. as crew chief of the #4 Chevrolet Silverado team. Monsam will be present this weekend at Lowe’s Motor Speedway for the North Carolina Education Lottery 200 to work alongside KHI Nationwide Series team crew chief Ernie Cope before taking over the crew chief duties full-time at Dover International Speedway on May 29, 2009.(Kevin Harvick Inc. PR)(5-11-2009)
- Raybestos Rookie News & Notes: North Carolina Education Lottery 200:
*Johnny Sauter was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in the April 27 O’Reilly Auto Parts 250 at Kansas Speedway. Sauter scored a ninth-place finish, his first top-10 and best effort of the season. He claimed his third top-10 in 16 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts and grabbed Raybestos Rookie of the Race honors for the first time in 2009.
*Tayler Malsam holds a one-point lead (48-47) over James Buescher in the Raybestos Rookie standings entering the May 15 North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Lowe’s Motor Speedway.
*Colin Braun was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in the 2008 North Carolina Education Lottery 200, scoring a 15th-place finish. Braun led the race once for three laps and became the second Raybestos Rookie in six races at Lowe’s Motor Speedway to lead a lap.
*Tim Sauter led once for one lap in 2007.
*The best finish by a Raybestos Rookie in six Camping World Truck Series races at Lowe’s Motor Speedway is ninth by Aric Almirola in 2006.(Raybestos PR)(5-11-2009)
- Busch returns to the #51 at Lowe’s: Kyle “Rowdy” Busch will return to the #51 Miccosukee Resort Billy Ballew Motorsports NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Tundra Friday, May 15, 2009 for the running of the North Carolina Education 200 race at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. Busch has posted two victories at Lowe’s for the independent team owner, winning in his first race ever for the team at Lowe’s in 2005. Busch returned to victory lane in 2006 at the 1.5-mile speedway located in Concord, NC. Miccosukee Resort will serve as the primary sponsor with Samsung Instinct and Dollar General serving as associate sponsors on the #51 Billy Ballew Motorsports Tundra.(Billy Ballew Motorsports PR)(5-11-2009)
- Exide Batteries partners with RMM to sponsor Skinner for seven more races: Randy Moss Motorsports is pleased to announce that Exide Batteries has signed with the team to sponsor veteran Mike Skinner for an additional seven NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races. In addition, Exide will serve as an associate sponsor for the remainder of the 2009 NCWTS season on both RMM Tundras, the #5 driven by Skinner and the #81 driven by Raybestos Rookie of the Year Points Leader Tayler Malsam. Skinner, the most recent winner in the NCWTS and current points leader, will carry the blue and black colors at Memphis Motorsports Park, O’Reilly Raceway Park at Indianapolis, Bristol Motor Speedway (August 19), New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, Phoenix International Raceway, and Homestead-Miami Speedway.(Randy Moss Motorsports PR)(5-11-2009)
- Zachy uses racetrack to recruit talent: Zachry, sponsor of the #24 Tundra and racer David Starr, has turned the racetrack into a recruiting station, using their NASCAR Camping World Truck Series sponsorship to locate skilled employees, put people to work and create unity among their current workforce-all in an economic downturn. With current jobsites in nearly 40 states, Zachry has used the breadth of the NASCAR sponsorship to reach job seekers from regions, at all levels within the organization. Brightly-colored tents with photographic displays and the authentic Zachry show truck spot the fan walk areas at prominent tracks, grabbing the attention of would-be Zachry employees. Zachry recruitment professionals guide fans through potential employment opportunities, paperwork and questions while allowing them to connect with David Starr in photos and face-to-face interactions.(HT Motorsports PR)(5-11-2009)
- Longhorn sponsoring Hornaday at Lowe’s: Longhorn/Swedish Match returns as primary sponsor of the #33-KHI Chevy for the North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Lowe’s Motor Speedway on Friday May15th. Following a fourth-place finish at Kansas Speedway, the #33 team climbed into the second position in the point standings, only 25 markers behind Mike Skinner.(Kevin Harvick Inc.PR)(5-11-2009)
- Buescher wins Kentucky ARCA RE/MAX event: James Buescher and Justin Lofton traded the lead back and forth officially four times. Then they traded paint coming to the white flag in the tri-oval before Buescher bounced off and then drove off to victory lane to win the thrilling Drive Smart Buckle Up Kentucky 150 Saturday night at Kentucky Speedway. Buescher, in Kevin Cywinski’s Wolfpack Rentals Toyota, led three times for 57 laps en route to his third career ARCA RE/MAX Series victory in his 16th series start. Buescher, who led off the season with a victory at Daytona driving for the same Win-Tron Racing team, fought an ill-handling racecar most of the day before the crew turned things around.(ARCA Racing PR)(5-10-2009)
- HT Motorsports welcomes Cajun Industries as co-primary sponsor: HT Motorsports and Driver Terry Cook are proud to announce Cajun Industries as a co-primary sponsor of the #25 Toyota Tundra. Cajun Industries partnered with HT Motorsports for the season opener this year at Daytona, and will continue that sponsorship with HT Motorsports for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series entry. Cajun Industries, LLC and its subsidiaries are nationally recognized companies providing a broad range of construction services to various markets including government infrastructure, industrial, water quality, power, manufacturing, and oil and gas.(HT Motorsports PR)(5-8-2009)
- Lafferty Motorsports picks up sponsor for Lowe’s: Lafferty Motorsports is pleased to announce that Horizon Computer Systems and Blue-Ox will be backing the teams #89 Chevy Silverado entry in the NC Education Lottery 200 which is to be held here at Lowes Motor Speedway here in Concord, NC. Driving duties will be released in the next 2-3 days.(Lafferty PR)(5-8-2009)
- Billy Ballew Motorsports & RAB Racing enter Townley at Lowe’s: As part of a joint venture, RAB Racing and Billy Ballew Motorsports will field the #09 Toyota Tundra sponsored by Zaxby’s in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Lowe’s Motor Speedway on May 15, 2009. The truck will be piloted by RAB Racing’s Nationwide Series driver, John Wes Townley. RAB Racing’s NASCAR Nationwide Series team will also service the #09 Tundra with the veteran crew chief Brad Parrott calling the shots. The 19-year-old Townley has one career start at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. He finished 27th in the Nationwide Series Dollar General 300 on Oct. 10, 2008. Billy Ballew Motorsports fields two full-time NASCAR Camping World Truck Series entries: the #15 and 51 Toyota Tundra’s. The organization has posted two wins, two top-five and five top-10 finishes at Lowe’s Motor Speedway.(Billy Ballew Motorsports PR)(5-7-2009)
- Crawford takes a ride with the Blue Angels: Rick Crawford, #14 International Truck and Engine Ford, ulfilled a life-long dream – and his need for speed – when he participated in an incentive ride with the Blue Angels at Florida’s Pensacola Naval Air Station on April 28. Flown by Lt. Ben Walborn in Blue Angel #7, Crawford experienced as much as 7.3 g’s and speeds as fast as 750 mph. “All of the adjectives you use for excitement don’t measure up to it,” said Crawford.(NASCAR PR)(5-4-2009)
- Buescher to make 2nd ARCA start at Kentucky: NCWTS Rookie James Buescher is entered as driver of the #32 Wolf Pack Rentals Toyota for Win-Tron Racing in the Drive Smart Buckle-Up Kentucky 150 at Kentucky Speedway on Saturday, May 9, 2009. This is the second ARCA series start for Buescher in 2009. He won the ARCA season opener at Daytona and is scheduled to run a total of five races this season with this this team.(ARCARacing.com)(5-3-2009)