With NASCAR on a temporary hiatus, news is going to be slow in the coming weeks. To help fill the NASCAR void, we plan on taking you on a daily trip down memory lane spanning the years since the Jayski’s site inception. Using our news archives pages, here’s a look back at what’s happened on this date through the last 23 years in NASCAR:
This day in NASCAR history: March 26
Years we have pulled today’s main items from: 2018, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2004, 2001, 1998
Top see everything from this date over previous years: 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997
Note: Many links on older stories don’t work. There’s not a lot of the same websites around anymore.
To see previous articles covering "Today in History", click here.
#14-Clint Bowyer won the STP 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Martinsville Speedway, ending a 190-race winless streak. The win is his first win of 2018, first win at Martinsville and ninth career win.
#18-Busch finished 2nd followed by #12-Blaney, #78-Truex, #4-Harvick, #22-Logano, #88-Bowman, #47-Allmendinger, #9-Elliott, and #2-Keseloski.
Truex earned the pole on Saturday after weather moved into the area. It eventually forced NASCAR to postpone the race until Monday. He had a quiet day, led four laps, and finished in the top-five.(3-26-2018)
Earnhardt interested in running trucks, Custer auditioning for Xfinity ride: Kelley Earnhardt Miller appeared on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio Wednesday. Among other topics, she discussed JR Motorsports’ first NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race this weekend at Martinsville Speedway. Earnhardt Miller, co-owner of JR Motorsports, said earlier this year that there were no plans at that time to field the organization’s Camping World Truck Series team for any races beyond the 10 currently in place with driver Cole Custer. On Wednesday she said that was still the case, but also said Sprint Cup Series Dale Earnhardt Jr. had broached the subject of driving the truck. "He’s definitely mentioned that that’s something he might be interested in," Earnhardt Miller said. "I think he would want to see how the program is going to do, and make sure we have the resources and the capability to do that. Let Cole the team get off the ground first and see how that goes." Earnhardt Miller, Earnhardt Jr. and Sprint Cup Series team owner Rick Hendrick share ownership of JRM. One of the organization’s three full-time XFINITY Series teams features multiple Sprint Cup drivers, Earnhardt Jr., Kevin Harvick and Kasey Kahne, behind the wheel for select events. Two other full-time teams feature drivers Chase Elliott and Regan Smith, who finished 1-2 in points, respectively, last season."He (Earnhardt Jr.) and some others have expressed interest in running the truck," Earnhardt Miller said. "We’ve actually gotten calls from other people saying ‘do you want to fill out the balance of your schedule and run it full time?’ "We really don’t want to do that. We want to focus on Cole. If the opportunity exists to put a couple of the Cup drivers in there to make our program stronger, (that’s) really why would we want to do that… "I won’t say it’s not going to happen but there aren’t any concrete plans for it to happen right now."Custer, 17, made his NCWTS debut last season with Haas Racing Development and became the youngest winner in a NASCAR national series event when he won the UNOH 175 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. In only nine starts, he scored six top-10s and two poles. Elliott, the defending XFINITY Series champion, will attempt to make his Sprint Cup Series debut in Sunday’s STP 500 at Martinsville. The 19-year-old is scheduled to step into the Hendrick Motorsports #24 Chevrolet in 2016, replacing four-time series champion Jeff Gordon. With Elliott already tabbed for the move to Sprint Cup next season, Custer could be auditioning for a full-time XFINITY Series ride with the organization. "Hopefully, that (truck effort) will roll into an XFINITY Series ride for Cole, depending on how he performs," Earnhardt Miller said. It will be the first start of the season for Custer, who is limited to competing on road courses and tracks 1.1 miles or less in length due to his age.(NASCAR.com(3-26-2015)
Appeals court refuses to reinstate Mayfield’s lawsuit against NASCAR: A federal appeals court in Virginia has refused to revive former racecar driver Jeremy Mayfield’s lawsuit against NASCAR over his suspension for failing a random drug test. Mayfield has argued that a combination of over-the-counter and prescription medications led to the positive test at Richmond International Raceway. A three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ruled Monday that U.S. District Judge Graham Mullen in Charlotte, N.C., did not abuse his discretion in dismissing Mayfield’s complaint. After his 2009 suspension, Mayfield sued NASCAR; its owner, Brian Zachary France; and a drug testing company for defamation, unfair and deceptive trade practices, breach of contract and negligence. Mullen tossed out the lawsuit because Mayfield had twice, as a driver and an owner, signed documents waiving his right to sue. Mayfield has argued that a combination of over-the-counter and prescription medications led to the positive test at Richmond International Raceway.(The Republic/Associated Press)
NASCAR Statement: Statement from Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR Senior Vice President, Racing Operations: "NASCAR is pleased that today the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit affirmed the U.S. District Court’s original decision in May 2010 in Jeremy Mayfield v. NASCAR. This case was never about anything more than NASCAR’s ability to keep the sport clean and our competitors safe."(NASCAR)(3-26-2012)
Paint Schemes added: Twenty-Four haulers from Bristol; and from Auto Club, added: #00 Aaron’s 2010 Partner of the Year – HP; #09-Thank a Teacher Today, #22-Auto Club of California, #29-Jimmy John’s, #33-Reagan Presidential Foundation’s Centennial Celebration, #36 Accell Construction, #38 Long John Silver’s, #39-U.S. Army’s Partnership for Youth Success, #60-Big Red Soda and #71-Ecofuel Saver to the Paint Scheme Gallery.(3-25-2011)
Roush Says Toyota Team Stole "Proprietary Part" UPDATE 2: ESPN the Magazine has an interesting and potentially explosive quote from Roush Fenway Racing co-owner Jack Roush as part of its 10th Anniversary issue, which is on newsstands this week. Two weeks ago at Atlanta Motor Speedway, the magazine quotes Roush as saying, "We had a proprietary Roush Fenway part go missing from one of my race teams, and we recovered it from a Toyota team. I’m not going to say which team it is, but we are considering legal action, or getting NASCAR involved." If Roush’s allegations prove to be true, this could become NASCAR’s version of the recent spy scandal that rocked Formula One racing, in which the McLaren-Mercedes team was caught with confidential, proprietary test information belonging to rival Ferrari. We contacted Roush Fenway Racing today in search of further information – including team was involved and the specific part in question – and we [SIRIUS Speedway w/ Dave Moody] hope to have a statement from them later today.(Motorsports Soapbox)(3-25-2008)
UPDATE: Jack Roush, co-owner of Ford-based Roush Fenway Racing, leveled another serious accusation at nemesis Toyota at Atlanta Motor Speedway – one that took nearly three weeks to surface. No one from either RFR or Toyota was willing to comment on Tuesday, but no one was denying Roush told a reporter from ESPN The Magazine on March 7 that a Toyota team had been in possession of an RFR team part.(ESPN)(3-26-2008)
UPDATE 2: Toyota officials on Wednesday identified the Roush Fenway Racing part that owner Jack Roush said was found in a Toyota team’s [supposedly MWR] possession during a Sprint Cup post-race teardown as a spring. Jim Aust, the president and chief executive officer of Toyota Racing Development, said once the part was found to belong to RFR that it was returned. He was uncertain how the part, discovered on a table with other Toyota parts, got there or from which team it came. "I don’t understand the whole procedure when a teardown happens," said Aust, referring to a post-race process in which several cars are broken down by NASCAR inspectors. "The only thing I know is it wound up with parts we had and [which were] returned to Roush. "It’s unfortunate it happened the way it did. It wasn’t anything intentional. There’s no reason to be done intentional. I have no idea how it happened to begin with." Roush Fenway president Geoff Smith said the part in question was not a spring, but he would not elaborate. No one at RFR has identified which Toyota team had the part. "Jack is the only one to talk to at this time and he presently doesn’t want to make any additional comments," Smith said.(ESPN.com)(3-26-2008)
Dodge execs repeat commitment to teams [and the sport]: Dodge will remain committed to the NASCAR Nextel Cup series regardless of whether Chrysler is sold, the director of Dodge motorsports said Sunday. "Yeah, there are some things going on, things we’re looking at, but it’s not going to affect our racing program," Mike Accavitti said during the Car of Tomorrow’s debut at Bristol Motor Speedway. Accavitti and Tom LaSorda, the chairman of DaimlerChrysler, visited with the owners of three of Dodge’s top teams – Evernham Motorsports, Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates and Penske Racing – before Sunday’s race. "We talked to everybody today," Accavitti said. "The message is pretty consistent. We don’t intend on going anywhere." That doesn’t mean Chrysler won’t. KeyBank Capital Markets analyst Brett Hoselton recently reported that Canadian-based Magna International Inc. and an unnamed equity group have offered $4.6 billion to $4.7 billion for Chrysler. "This is being handled by people at a much higher level than I am," Accavitti said. "As far as they’re concerned, they’d like to bring a quicker resolution to it than a slower resolution. Every indication I have is it’ll be sooner rather than later." There have been reports that the sale could happen within the next week or so. "Under any scenario, as far as we’re concerned, we see us remaining involved in NASCAR," said Accavitti, noting Dodge’s contracts with its NASCAR teams range from one to five more years. It’s a great way to reach those fans and tell them about the performance brand of Dodge."(ESPN.com)(3-26-2007)
Jon Wood expects to be in #21 car in 2007 UPDATE – no, but a 2nd car: Busch Series regular Jon Wood [#47], third-generation member of NASCAR’s Wood Brothers Racing, said Wednesday he is "90 percent sure" he will drive the #21 Ford full time in the Nextel Cup Series in 2007.(Fort Worth Star Telegram)(3-23-2006)
UPDATE: Jon Wood said Saturday that he expects to be behind the wheel of a Wood Brothers/JTG Racing Nextel Cup car full-time in 2007, but not the #21 currently driven by Ken Schrader. Published reports last week had the driver in the #21 next year. "The plan all along was to have two Nextel Cup Series teams in 2007 if we can find appropriate sponsorship for a two-car operation," Wood said. "Right now, I plan to compete in as many as seven Cup races this year in preparation for running full time in Cup in 2007 as the second driver on a two-car Cup team."[#47 Ford](Speed Channel)
AND – Schrader back in 2007? Jon Wood fully expects to move to a full-time NASCAR Nextel Cup ride next season with his family’s Wood Brothers/JTG Racing team. But it won’t be in the team’s #21 Ford Fusion, as was reported last week by a Texas newspaper. If all goes according to Hoyle, a second full-time sponsor will be lined up, Schrader will stay in the #21 and Wood will campaign a second team car, the number [#47?] of which is to be determined.(Ford Racing)(3-26-2006)
2nd Texas Race for All-Star Race Trade? Bruton Smith is reported to be on the verge of getting NASCAR to agree to grant him a long-awaited second Nextel Cup date at Texas Motor Speedway, through the purchase of North Carolina Speedway, according to sources. But then it gets complicated, according to those sources. In turn NASCAR wants Smith to let Richmond International Raceway take the May all-star race from Smith’s Lowe’s Motor Speedway. For that, Smith wants a second Cup date for his Las Vegas track. If all that happens, Darlington Raceway could lose one of its two Cup races. Smith has considerable support at the moment, from teams and sponsors and TV networks, for his Las Vegas pitch.(Winston Salem Journal)(3-26-2004)
Back to the Future: A special paint scheme will launch a nationwide campaign to "Keep It Genuine", accentuating the importance of using genuine Ford and Lincoln Mercury Parts and Service to keep a vehicle performing at its best. The #21 Motorcraft Racing Ford Taurus will run the colors made famous by David Pearson during the 1970’s at Texas Motor Speedway for the Samsung/Radio Shack 500 weekend. According to Eddie Wood and his Uncle Leonard, the Wood Brothers "genuine" look was developed in the mid-1960’s to distinguish one team entry from another. On several occasions the Wood Brothers entered two or three cars in an event and used a combination of red and white paint schemes on the team cars. The crew chose the red top, white bottom and gold numbers as its primary paint scheme. Leonard Wood remembers that Cale Yarborough was the first Wood Brothers Racing driver to compete in those colors full-time, starting in 1967. The red, white and gold paint scheme went to victory lane 72 times with Yarborough, Parnelli Jones, Dan Gurney, Donnie Allison, A.J. Foyt, Pearson, and Neil Bonnett behind the wheel between 1967 and 1982. "Ford, Lincoln and Mercury dealerships are known for the genuine Motorcraft parts and quality service Ford customers have come to depend on," says Judi Moritz, the Ford Customer Service Division (FCSD) Motorsports & Events Marketing Manager. "And what better way to launch the new FCSD "Keep It Genuine" campaign than to introduce it with a genuine Wood Brothers Racing paint scheme."
The race at Texas precedes the national dealership introduction of the "Keep It Genuine" program on Monday, April 5. The "Keep It Genuine" initiative reinforces the importance of using genuine Ford and Lincoln Mercury Parts and Service to keep the vehicle performing at its best. Only Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealerships can provide factory-trained technicians and parts engineered specifically for the vehicle. By depending on the dealership to keep the vehicle genuine, owners can drive away with genuine peace of mind.(Motorcraft Racing PR)(3-26-2004)
Drivers skipping Talladega?? UPDATE 2: in part from the Winston Salem Journal – …But the big story of the day was furious driver reaction to NASCAR’s continued inaction on Talladega rules. Bobby Labonte, the Winston Cup champ, said some sponsors have told their drivers if they want to skip the April Talladega 500 they’ll support that decision. See the comments at the :Winston Salem Journal in the middle of the article(3-25-2001)
UPDATE: ..Everyone is scared to death over the Talladega race right now. There is even talk, not that anything is likely to materialize, of sponsors telling their teams they will allow them to skip the race, or of some drivers talking about running only a token lap and then parking their cars in protest. They aren’t telling NASCAR that. They’re afraid their car won’t get through inspection, or that NASCAR will start hitting them with arbitrary requirements that make it impossible for them to be competitive.(Gaston Gazette) AND see a story at the Stock Car Reporter: Talledega?(3-25-2001)
UPDATE 2: No one seriously expects any of the stars to pass up the April 22 race(at Talladega). But the fact that sponsors are getting into the safety debate is significant, because NASCAR executives who might dismiss complaints by drivers won’t easily write off worries by the companies whose advertising dollars keep this sport running.(Winston Salem Journal)(3-26-2001)
Darrell Waltrip, a three-time Winston Cup champion, will be named Friday as the interim driver of the #1 Chevrolet owned by Dale Earnhardt Inc. Waltrip will drive the car in this weekend’s Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway and will stay in it until the injured Steve Park returns. Waltrip’s sale of his Winston Cup team, NASCAR truck series team and facilities in Harrisburg to Tim Beverley, a businessman from Tyler, Texas, was completed Wednesday. Beverley intends to put the Winston Cup team on hiatus for about 10 weeks while he seeks sponsorship and reorganizes the operation.
Click a link below for a full listing of news from each year: