Daytona International Speedway
Season Race #: 26 of 36 (08-29-20)
Track Size: 2.5-mile
Banking/Turns 1 & 2: 31 degrees
Banking/Turns 3 & 4: 31 degrees
Banking/Straights: 3 degrees
Banking/Tri-Oval: 18 degrees
Frontstretch Length: 3,800 feet
Backstretch Length: 3,000 feet
Race Length: 160 laps / 400 miles
Stage 1 & 2 Length: 50 laps (each)
Final Stage Length: 60 laps
Top 20 Driver Ratings at Daytona
Kyle Busch…………………………… 90.7
Denny Hamlin……………………….. 88.3
Jimmie Johnson…………………….. 87.4
Matt Kenseth………………………… 87.3
Joey Logano…………………………. 87.1
Ryan Blaney…………………………. 87.0
Kurt Busch……………………………. 86.8
Kevin Harvick………………………… 82.8
William Byron………………………… 79.3
Brad Keselowski……………………. 78.7
Clint Bowyer…………………………. 77.8
Austin Dillon…………………………. 77.7
Ricky Stenhouse Jr………………… 77.5
Alex Bowman………………………… 76.7
Martin Truex Jr………………………. 76.5
Ryan Newman………………………. 75.0
Chase Elliott…………………………. 74.7
Bubba Wallace……………………… 73.6
Erik Jones……………………………. 73.2
Aric Almirola…………………………. 72.5
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2020 races (31 total) among active drivers at Daytona International Speedway.
Daytona International Speedway:
- Groundbreaking for Daytona International Speedway was Nov. 25, 1957. The soil underneath the banked corners was dug from the infield of the track and the hole filled with water. It is now known as Lake Lloyd.
- The first NASCAR Cup Series race at Daytona was a 100-mile qualifying race for the Daytona 500 on Feb. 20, 1959 – won by Bob Welborn.
- The first summer race at Daytona International Speedway was held on July 4, 1959 – won by Fireball Roberts (140.581 mph).
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty won his 200th career race on July 4, 1984 at Daytona.
- Lights were installed in the spring of 1998. However, the July race was delayed until October that year due to thick smoke from wildfires. The second Daytona race has been held under the lights ever since.
- The track underwent a repave in 2010.
- 2016 marked the next phase in the existence of Daytona International Speedway as the DAYTONA Rising project was completed, ushering in the first ‘motorsports stadium,’ a 400-million-dollar project.
- There have been 146 NASCAR Cup Series races at Daytona International Speedway since the track hosted its first race in 1959: 62 have been 500 miles, 57 were 400 miles and four were 250 miles. There were also 23 qualifier races that were point races.
- A total of 686 different drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Cup Series race at Daytona International Speedway; 522 have competed in more than one.
- A total of 471 different drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Cup Series summer race at Daytona International Speedway; 299 have competed in more than one.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in starts at Daytona with 74 starts. Kevin Harvick and Kurt Busch lead all active series drivers in Daytona starts with 38 each.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in July race starts at Daytona with 32. Kevin Harvick and Kurt Busch lead all active series drivers in July Daytona starts with 19 each.
|First Career Cup Start in Summer Race at Daytona|
|Loy Allen Jr||7/3/1993|
- A total of 182 drivers have made their first career NASCAR Cup Series start at Daytona International Speedway; only 19 have made their first start during the summer Daytona races.
- Six active series drivers have made their first career start at Daytona International Speedway, though none were during the summer races:
- Brendan Gaughan (2/15/2004)
- Alex Bowman (2/23/14),
- Daniel Suárez (2/26/17),
- William Byron (2/18/2018)
- Tyler Reddick (2/17/2019)
- Christopher Bell (2/17/2020)
- Brennan Poole (2/17/2020)
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Fireball Roberts leads the series in average starting position at Daytona with a 5.412 in 17 starts.
- Fireball Roberts also leads the series in average starting position in the Daytona summer race with a 2.2 in five starts.
- Chase Elliott leads all active drivers in the series in average starting position at Daytona with a 9.222 in 10 total starts.
- Elliott also leads the series in average starting position in the July race at Daytona with a 8.5 in five starts.
Top 10 in Average Starting Position in the Daytona Summer Race (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg. Start||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg. Start||Races|
|1||Fireball Roberts||2.200||5||1||Chase Elliott||8.500||5|
|2||Boris Said||4.000||4||2||Jimmie Johnson||10.222||19|
|3||Banjo Matthews||4.667||3||3||Ryan Blaney||10.750||6|
|4||Davey Allison||5.286||7||4||Ricky Stenhouse Jr||12.857||8|
|5||Pete Hamilton||6.000||3||5||Austin Dillon||13.500||7|
|6||Cale Yarborough||6.455||22||6||Kevin Harvick||13.842||20|
|7||Earl Balmer||6.667||3||7||William Byron||15.000||3|
|8||Casey Atwood||7.000||2||8||Kyle Busch||15.067||16|
|9||Dick Hutcherson||7.000||2||9||Matt Kenseth||16.667||19|
|10||Fred Lorenzen||7.000||8||10||Brad Keselowski||16.727||12|
- A total of 62 different drivers have won the pole in the NASCAR Cup Series at Daytona International Speedway; 24 drivers have won more than one pole at Daytona. 10 of the 62 pole winners are active this weekend.
- A total of 41 different drivers have won the pole in the NASCAR Cup Series at Daytona for the summer race; eight drivers have won multiple summer race poles at Daytona in the Cup Series. Only four active summer race pole winners are entered this weekend: Chase Elliott, Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch and Matt Kenseth.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Cale Yarborough leads the series in poles at Daytona with 12 poles (Feb. 1968, July 1969, 1970 sweep, 1978 sweep, July 1980, July 1981, July 1983, 1984 sweep, July 1986). Eight of the 12 poles are from the summer race.
- Chase Elliott leads all active series drivers in poles at Daytona with three (Feb. 2016, Feb. 2017 and July 2018).
- Fireball Roberts won the inaugural pole for the summer race at Daytona in 1959 with a speed of 144.997 mph.
- Three drivers have won consecutive poles for the summer race at Daytona: Cale Yarborough (1969-’70; 1980-’81, 1983-’84), Sterling Marlin (1991-’92) and Dale Earnhardt (1994-’95).
- Youngest series Daytona pole winner: Chase Elliott (February 21, 2016 – 20 years, 2 months, 24 days).
- Oldest series Daytona pole winner: Mark Martin (July 2, 2011 – 52 years, 5 months, 23 days).
- A total of 17 different drivers have posted their first series career pole at Daytona International Speedway – 10 during Speedweeks in February and seven for the summer race.
- Five of the Daytona first-time pole winners are active this weekend: Jimmie Johnson – Feb. 17, 2002, Kevin Harvick – July 6, 2002, Austin Dillon – Feb. 23, 2014, Chase Elliott – Feb. 21, 2016, William Byron – Feb. 17, 2019
- Hendrick Motorsports leads all organizations in summer race poles at Daytona In the NASCAR Cup Series with seven: Darrell Waltrip (7/2/88), Greg sacks (7/7/90), Jeff Gordon (7/6/96 and 7/3/04), Mark Martin (7/2/11), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (7/1/17), Chase Elliott (7/7/2018).
- Nine different manufacturers have won the pole at Daytona, led by Chevrolet (50) and followed by Ford (25), Pontiac (15), Mercury (10), Dodge (nine), Oldsmobile (six), Plymouth (two), Toyota (one) and Buick (one).
- Eight different manufacturers have won the pole for the summer race at Daytona, led by Chevrolet (22), and followed by Ford (13), Pontiac (six), Dodge (five), Mercury (five), Oldsmobile (three), Toyota (one) and Buick (one).
- A total of 65 different drivers have posted at least one NASCAR Cup Series win at Daytona, 29 drivers have multiple Cup Series wins at Daytona.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in wins at Daytona with 10 victories (Feb. 1964, Feb. 1966, Feb. 1971, Feb. 1973, Feb. 1974, July 1975, July 1977, Feb. 1979, Feb. 1981, July 1984).
- Jimmie Johnson (Feb. 2006 and 2013 sweep) and Denny Hamlin (Feb. 2016, Feb. 2019, Feb. 2020) lead all active series drivers in Daytona wins with three each.
|NASCAR Cup Series|
|Active Daytona Summer Race Winners|
|Race Winners (7)||Wins|
|Erik Jones||Saturday, July 7, 2018|
|Ricky Stenhouse Jr||Saturday, July 1, 2017|
|Brad Keselowski||Saturday, July 2, 2016|
|Aric Almirola||Sunday, July 6, 2014|
|Jimmie Johnson||Saturday, July 6, 2013|
|Kevin Harvick||Saturday, July 3, 2010|
|Kyle Busch||Saturday, July 5, 2008|
- Of the 65 Cup Series Daytona winners, 39 of them have won the summer race and seven are entered in this weekend’s event.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer David Pearson leads the series in summer race victories at Daytona with five wins (1961, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1978).
- Five drivers have posted consecutive summer race wins at Daytona International Speedway: Fireball Roberts (1962-1963), A.J. Foyt (1964-1965), Cale Yarborough (1967-1968) David Pearson (1972 – 1974) and Tony Stewart (2005-2006).
- Youngest Daytona summer race winner: Justin Haley (07/07/2019 – 20 years, 2 months, 9 days); all-time track record – Trevor Bayne (02/20/2011 – 20 years, 0 months, 1 day).
- Oldest Daytona summer race winner: Bobby Allison (07/04/1987 – 49 years, 7 months, 1 day); all-time track record – Bobby Allison (02/14/1988 – 50 years, 5 months, 23 days).
|NASCAR Cup Series at Daytona|
|Wins from Pole or First Starting Position|
|Race Winners||Date of Win||Driver’s Age|
|Fireball Roberts||Saturday, July 4, 1959||30|
|Jeff Gordon||Saturday, July 3, 2004||32|
|Kevin Harvick*||Saturday, July 3, 2010||34|
|Tony Stewart||Saturday, July 2, 2005||34|
|Jack Smith||Monday, July 4, 1960||36|
|Tony Stewart*||Saturday, July 4, 2009||38|
|David Pearson||Thursday, July 4, 1974||39|
|Dale Earnhardt Jr*||Sunday, July 5, 2015||40|
|Cale Yarborough||Saturday, July 4, 1981||42|
- Nine of the 61 summer Daytona International Speedway races (14.7%) in the NASCAR Cup Series have been won from the pole or first starting position. Six were from the pole. Three were from the first starting position when qualifying was cancelled.
- The youngest to win from the pole or first starting position at Daytona in the summer race was Fireball Roberts at the age of 30.
- The most recent to win from the pole or first starting position at Daytona in the NASCAR Cup Series was NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the 2015 July race.
- The first starting position is the most proficient starting position in the field, producing more winners (nine) than any other starting position in the July race at Daytona International Speedway.
NASCAR Cup Series Wins by Starting Positions at Daytona
|Starting Position||Wins||Winning %||Starting Position||Wins||Winning %|
|Winning from the First Starting Position:||14.75%||9|
|Winning from the Front Row:||26.23%||16|
|Winning from a Top-Five Starting Position:||47.54%||29|
|Winning from a Top-10 Starting Position:||73.77%||45|
|Winning After Starting Outside the Top 20:||9.84%||6|
- The deepest in the field that a race winner has started at Daytona is 42nd, by Tony Stewart in the 2012 July race.
- A total of 20 drivers have posted their first NASCAR Cup Series win at Daytona; 10 of the 19 drivers posted their first win in the July race – the most recent was last season’s July race with race winner Justin Haley and Spire Motorsports.
|NASCAR Cup Series Summer Daytona Race First-Time Winners|
|First-Time Race Winners||Date||Driver’s Age|
|1||Justin Haley||Sunday, July 7, 2019||20|
|2||Erik Jones||Saturday, July 7, 2018||22|
|3||Aric Almirola||Sunday, July 6, 2014||30|
|4||David Ragan||Saturday, July 2, 2011||25|
|5||Greg Biffle||Saturday, July 5, 2003||33|
|6||John Andretti||Saturday, July 5, 1997||34|
|7||Jimmy Spencer||Saturday, July 2, 1994||37|
|8||Greg Sacks||Thursday, July 4, 1985||32|
|9||Sam McQuagg||Monday, July 4, 1966||28|
|10||A.J. Foyt||Saturday, July 4, 1964||29|
- Martin Truex Jr. leads the series among active drivers with the most NASCAR Cup Series starts at Daytona without visiting Victory Lane at 30; followed by Clint Bowyer with 29.
- The Wood Brothers have the most wins at Daytona in the NASCAR Cup Series with 15 victories; followed by Hendrick Motorsports with 14.
ADDITIONAL FINISHING POSITIONS
- A total of 68 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have finished runner-up at Daytona.
- Buddy Baker leads the series in runner-up finishes at Daytona with eight second-place finishes.
- Kyle Busch leads all active drivers in runner-up finishes at Daytona with four.
- A total of 40 different drivers in the series have finished runner-up at Daytona in the summer race.
- Buddy Baker leads the series in runner-up finishes at Daytona in the summer race with five second-place finishes.
- Kyle Busch and Jimmie Johnson lead all active drivers in runner-up finishes in the summer race at Daytona with three each.
Top Five in Runner-Up Finishes in the Summer Race at Daytona (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Runner-Ups||Rank||Active Drivers||Runner-Ups|
|1||Buddy Baker||5||1||Jimmie Johnson||3|
|2||Richard Petty||4||Kyle Busch||3|
|Sterling Marlin||4||3||Clint Bowyer||1|
|4||Jimmie Johnson||3||Martin Truex Jr||1|
|Kyle Busch||3||Matt Kenseth||1|
- A total of 155 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have finished in the top-five at Daytona.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in top-five finishes at Daytona with 28 top fives.
- Kurt Busch leads all active drivers in top-five finishes at Daytona with 13.
- A total of 111 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have finished in the top-five in the summer race at Daytona.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer David Pearson leads the series in top-five finishes at Daytona in the summer race with 13 top fives.
- Kurt Busch leads all active drivers in top-five finishes in the summer race at Daytona with seven.
Top Five in Top-Five Finishes in the Summer Race at Daytona (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top Fives||Rank||Active Drivers||Top Fives|
|1||David Pearson||13||1||Kurt Busch||7|
|2||Richard Petty||12||2||Jimmie Johnson||5|
|3||Buddy Baker||11||Kyle Busch||5|
|4||Dale Earnhardt||10||4||Matt Kenseth||4|
|5||Bobby Allison||8||5||Joey Logano||3|
|Darrell Waltrip||8||Kevin Harvick||3|
|Sterling Marlin||8||Ryan Newman||3|
- A total of 270 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have finished in the top-10 at Daytona.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in top-10 finishes at Daytona with 37 top 10s.
- Kurt Busch leads all active drivers in top-10 finishes at Daytona with 18.
- A total of 184 different drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series have finished in the top-10 in the summer race at Daytona.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer David Pearson leads the series in top-10 finishes at Daytona in the summer race with 19 top 10s.
- Kurt Busch leads all active drivers in top-10 finishes in the summer race at Daytona with 10.
Top Five in Top-10 Finishes in the Summer Race at Daytona (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Driver||Top 10s||Rank||Active Driver||Top 10s|
|1||David Pearson||19||1||Kurt Busch||10|
|2||Dale Earnhardt||18||2||Clint Bowyer||8|
|3||Buddy Baker||15||Jimmie Johnson||8|
|4||Terry Labonte||14||Matt Kenseth||8|
|5||Richard Petty||13||5||Kevin Harvick||6|
- Justin Haley leads the series in average finishing position at Daytona with an 7.0 in two starts.
- Austin Dillon leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Daytona with a 14.857 in 15 starts.
- Cotton Owens leads the series in average finishing position at Daytona in the summer race with a 5.0 in two starts.
- Ty Dillon leads the series in average finishing position at Daytona in the summer race with a 8.667 in four summer Daytona race starts.
Top 10 in Average Finishing Position in the Summer Race at Daytona (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg Finish||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Finish||Races|
|1||Cotton Owens||5.000||2||1||Ty Dillon||8.667||4|
|2||David Pearson||6.435||23||2||Erik Jones||11.000||4|
|3||Fireball Roberts||7.800||5||3||Bubba Wallace||14.667||4|
|4||Ty Dillon||8.667||4||4||Corey Lajoie||16.000||4|
|5||Darel Dieringer||8.750||8||5||Ryan Newman||16.000||19|
|6||Jack Smith||8.800||5||6||Austin Dillon||16.167||7|
|7||Jim Hurtubise||10.000||3||7||Clint Bowyer||16.214||15|
|8||Marvin Panch||10.000||7||8||Kyle Busch||16.333||16|
|9||Dale Earnhardt||10.478||23||9||Matt Kenseth||16.389||19|
|10||Dick Hutcherson||10.500||2||10||Ricky Stenhouse Jr||16.857||8|
All Races at Daytona:
- A total of 192 different drivers have led at least one lap in the NASCAR Cup Series at Daytona; 143 drivers have led laps in the summer races at Daytona.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Earnhardt leads the NASCAR Cup Series in laps led at Daytona with 1,286 laps led out of 7,485 laps completed (17.1%) in 46 starts.
- Denny Hamlin leads all active series drivers in laps led at Daytona with 521 laps led out of 4,981 laps completed (10.4%) in 30 starts.
- The MOST laps led in a NASCAR Cup Series race at Daytona International Speedway by the race winner is 184 of the scheduled 200 laps (92%) by NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty in the 1964 Daytona 500.
- The MOST laps led in a NASCAR Cup Series race at Daytona International Speedway by a driver that did not win the race is 170 of the 187 scheduled laps (90.9%) by NASCAR Hall of Famer Fireball Roberts in the 1961 Daytona 500 – he finished 20th.
- Seven times the NASCAR Cup Series race winner at Daytona International Speedway has led just the final lap; most recent was the 2018 July race. (chart below)
|Race Winners||Date||Laps Led|
|Erik Jones||July 7, 2018||1|
|Austin Dillon||February 18, 2018||1|
|Kurt Busch||February 26, 2017||1|
|Jimmy Spencer||July 2, 1994||1|
|Earl Balmer||February 25, 1966||1|
|Bobby Isaac||February 21, 1964||1|
|Junior Johnson||February 21, 1964||1|
Summer Races at Daytona:
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Cale Yarborough leads the series in laps led in the summer race at Daytona with 644 laps led of his 2,245 laps completed (28.6%) in 22 starts.
- Brad Keselowski leads the series among active drivers in laps led in the summer race at Daytona with 161 laps led of his 1,480 laps completed in 12 starts.
- The MOST laps led in a NASCAR Cup Series summer race at Daytona International Speedway by the race winner is 151 of scheduled 160 laps (94%) by NASCAR Hall of Famer Tony Stewart in the 2005 event.
- The MOST laps led in a NASCAR Cup Series race at Daytona International Speedway by a driver that did not win the race is 118 of 160 scheduled laps (74%) by Buddy Baker in the 1975 summer race – he ultimately finished second.
Top 10 Lap Leaders at Daytona (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Driver||Led||Completed||% Led||Rank||Active Driver||Led||Completed||% Led|
|1||Cale Yarborough||644||2245||29%||1||Brad Keselowski||161||1480||11%|
|2||Dale Earnhardt||600||3306||18%||2||Matt Kenseth||157||2749||6%|
|3||Buddy Baker||445||3303||13%||3||Jimmie Johnson||151||2605||6%|
|4||Richard Petty||423||4135||10%||4||Denny Hamlin||145||1983||7%|
|5||Bobby Allison||405||3067||13%||5||Kevin Harvick||145||2772||5%|
|6||David Pearson||381||3429||11%||6||Kyle Busch||141||2154||7%|
|7||Tony Stewart||370||2681||14%||7||Kurt Busch||110||2763||4%|
|8||Dale Earnhardt Jr||340||2688||13%||8||Clint Bowyer||89||2159||4%|
|9||Jeff Gordon||318||3589||9%||9||Ricky Stenhouse Jr||70||975||7%|
|10||Ernie Irvan||293||1546||19%||10||Austin Dillon||54||790||7%|
TRACK / EVENT STATS
- Since the advent of electronic scoring the closest margin of victory (MOV) in the NASCAR Cup Series at Daytona International Speedway for the summer race is the July 7, 2007 event won by Jamie McMurray over Kyle Busch with a margin of victory of 0.005 second.
Top Five Closest Margins of Victory in the NASCAR Cup Series Summer Race at Daytona
|Margin of Victory||Date||Winner||Runner-Up|
|0.005||7/7/2007||Jamie McMurray||Kyle Busch|
|0.008||7/2/1994||Jimmy Spencer||Ernie Irvan|
|0.029||7/5/1997||John Andretti||Terry Labonte|
|0.092||7/3/2010||Kevin Harvick||Kasey Kahne|
|0.104||7/6/1996||Sterling Marlin||Terry Labonte|
- The last two NASCAR Cup Series races at Daytona have ended under caution.
- Seven of the 61 NASCAR Cup Series summer races at Daytona have resulted with Overtime:
|Date||Scheduled No. of Laps||Actual No. of Laps||NASCAR Overtime||Winner|
|7/1/2017||160||163||3||Ricky Stenhouse Jr.|
|7/5/2015||160||161||1||Dale Earnhardt Jr|
- Three of the 61 NASCAR Cup Series summer races at Daytona International Speedway have been shortened due to weather conditions:
|Date||Scheduled Laps||Actual Laps||Fewer Laps||Winner|
|Sunday, July 7, 2019||160||127||-33||Justin Haley|
|Sunday, July 6, 2014||160||112||-48||Aric Almirola|
|Saturday, July 6, 1996||160||117||-43||Sterling Marlin|
- Qualifying for the July race has been cancelled due to weather conditions in the NASCAR Cup Series at Daytona International Speedway four times: 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2015.
- A total of six female drivers have competed in the NASCAR Cup Series at Daytona. Danica Patrick, Janet Guthrie, Christine Beckers, Lella Lombardi, Patty Moise and Shawna Robinson. All six have competed in the July race.
- Janet Guthrie was the first female competitor to race at Daytona International Speedway in 1976. She started 33rd and raced her way up to a 15th-place finish.
- The best finish by a female driver in the NACAR Cup Series in the summer race at Daytona was Danica Patrick’s eighth-place finish in 2014.
- Below is a look at the female drivers in the summer race at Daytona:
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Driver Rating||Date|
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Date|
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Date|
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Date|
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Date|
|Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Date|
NASCAR IN FLORIDA
- A total of 393 NASCAR national series races held in the state of Florida among 10 different tracks.
|Track Name||City||Cup||Xfinity||Truck||Combined||First Year|
|Daytona International Speedway||Daytona Beach||146||57||21||296||1959|
|Daytona Beach & Road Course||Daytona Beach||10||0||0||10||1949|
|Palm Beach Speedway||W. Palm Beach||7||0||0||7||1952|
|Volusia County Speedway||Barberville||0||4||0||4||1989|
|Daytona International Speedway Road||Daytona Beach||1||1||1||3||2020|
|Walt Disney World Speedway||Orlando||0||0||2||2||1997|
|Five Flags Speedway||Pensacola||1||0||0||1||1953|
|Golden Gate Speedway||Tampa||1||0||0||1||1963|
- The first NASCAR premiere series race in the state of Florida was held at the Daytona Beach & Road Course on July 10, 1949. The 40-lap event was won by Red Byron (Oldsmobile, 80.883 mph).
FLORIDA IN NASCAR
- A total of 185 different drivers in NASCAR national series history have their home state recorded as Florida.
- 12 of the 183 have recorded at least one victory in NASCAR national series competition.
- Eight Florida drivers have won in the NASCAR Cup Series; led by Fireball Roberts with 33 victories.
- Of the eight Florida native drivers who have won in the NASCAR Cup Series, only Fireball Roberts, LeeRoy Yarborough and Aric Almirola have won the summer race at Daytona.
|Florida Race Winners||Cup||Xfinity||Truck||Combined|
— NASCAR —