Jayski's NASCAR Archives

Could Truex go to Gibbs? Will NAPA return? UPDATE:

#56- Martin Truex, Jr., an innocent victim in this whole thing, is handling things with class. But he points out that he now has to look out for himself, and that means making some quick decisions about 2014. Immediately after NAPAs decision to pull the plug on the Waltrip-Truex team, there were hopes that NAPA, perhaps with Truex, might move to another stock car operation and continue its sports marketing here. NAPA is one of this sports long-time sponsors. However Sunday here a man close to the situation said NAPA has now decided simply to drop out of NASCAR racing. If so, that could be a devastating blow; the sanctioning body itself just lost Nationwide as sponsor of its Triple-A tour (following the 2014 season). Where Truex might land, if he does move on? Well, Toyotas Joe Gibbs has been looking to fill a long-proposed fourth Cup team slot; Gibbs tried to get Kurt Busch earlier this year. And Richard Childress is still filling out his 2014 roster. Truex says simply ‘life moves on. Ive moved on from it.( MikeMulhern.net ) BUT: According to a tweet by NASCAR.coms Kenny Bruce, ‘J.D. Gibbs did everything but rule out 4th Cup team for JGR. ‘Going from 2 to 3 was so difficult. “¦ I dont see it. ‘. AND: Sporting News Bob Pockrass reports , ‘Joe [Gibbs] said hes devoted to Toyota & MWR & supports them, said he has no idea whats happening and had no talks [about] 4th team w/NAPA-Truex”(9-23-2013) UPDATE: Waltrip “¦ said that if Truex could find another deal, he wouldnt hold him back even though two years remain on his contract. Right now, theres only one other real deal out there the Furniture Row Racing #78 car. That team is self-funded by Barney Visser, who owns the furniture chain. Furniture Row general manager Joe Garone said he was interested in Truex, and he likely could wait a while for Truex to make a decision. The organization likely would go with a young driver if not Truex, meaning all those drivers probably would be available well into November before having to make a commitment for 2014. The big ‘if” is whether NAPA will return and sponsor another Cup team. NAPA likes to have a car for the full season but several sources in the garage said the $16 million that NAPA is reportedly paying likely includes a hefty Chase bonus and might be too low to garner a full season with other organizations. Team owner Richard Childress said he wasnt going to call NAPA, but he could start a fourth team if there is interest. ‘Youre always interested, but were going to see what shakes down here with those guys’ he said. ‘I hope NAPA stays in the sport. I really hate it for Martin. Im sure theyll see the value in our sport and hopefully stay in with whomever. Were not going to beat their door down. We can do a fourth team. I dont believe in going out and chasing somebody in a bad situation. Let them make their decision.” Chip Ganassi had no comment on the possibility of pursuing Truex, while Roger Penske said he is set with his two Cup teams for next year. ‘Martins one of the good young drivers here’ Penske said. ‘Were committed (to) two cars next year. We have plenty of drivers. What we need to do is stay focused. & At this point, I dont see us going with Truex or NAPA.”( Sporting News )