With NASCAR on a temporary hiatus, news is going to be slow in the coming weeks. To help fill the NASCAR void, we plan on taking you on a daily trip down memory lane spanning the years since the Jayski’s site inception. Using our news archives pages, here’s a look back at what’s happened on this date through the last 23 years in NASCAR:
This day in NASCAR history: April 28
Years we have pulled today’s main items from: 2015, 2011, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2000, 1999, 1998
Top see everything from this date over previous years: Main Page | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997
Note: Many links on older stories don’t work. There’s not a lot of the same websites around anymore.
To see previous articles covering "Today in History", click here.
- Ragan in the #55 rest of the year, starting at Kansas: Michael Waltrip Racing announced that David Ragan will drive the #55 Aaron’s Dream Machine for the remainder of the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup season, beginning May 9 at Kansas Speedway. Brian Vickers had planned to race the Toyota fulltime in 2015, but heart surgery in December forced the Thomasville, N.C., native to miss the first two races of the season. Vickers returned at Las Vegas on March 7, but was sidelined two weeks later by recurring blood clots in his lungs. No timetable has been set for his return.
"Life has thrown a lot at MWR the first part of this racing season, but our team has stood tall and worked through it," said Michael Waltrip. "Our original plans for the #55 team have been challenged since December and we felt it was important for our employees and our sponsors to solidify the remainder of the 2015 season. The opportunity to bring David Ragan into the team is incredible for a number of reasons. He will bring experience, consistency and a lot of confidence based on how he has been running with our Toyota teammates at Joe Gibbs Racing. He also puts the #55 team and Aaron’s right back into the Chase for the Sprint Cup contention, which is a very positive turn of events for that team. There is absolutely no question about Brian Vickers’ ability, but there remains a question of his availability. We are going to remain very close with Brian while he works on his plan to return. We have told him that MWR is here when he has a clear picture about what the future holds, but we don’t need to add any timeline pressures. He is working with a lot of medical advisors and once he has established his plan, we will sit down and discuss next steps. I’m really proud of the incredible job Brett Moffitt has done for us in the 55. He has been a big part of this organization for the last couple of years and he will continue in that role. With the limited number of starts Brett has in this industry, he has proven that he has the talent to be a full-time NASCAR Sprint Cup driver and we are still committed to helping him get that opportunity."(MWR)
Front Row Statement: "We are grateful to David Ragan for his contributions to the growth of Front Row Motorsports and his commitment to our partners over the past three years. He led us on our first trip to Victory Lane, and that’s a moment we’ll never forget. We wish him the best with his new team. As previously announced, Chris Buescher will be the driver of the #34 at Talladega this weekend. We are working on finalizing the driver line-up for races to follow and will announce those plans soon."(Front Row Motorsports)(4-28-2015)
- France say NASCAR open to shorter races: Are shorter races on the horizon for NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series? NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France was asked about NASCAR’s comfort with 500-mile events and the length of time it takes to complete those races during an open question-and-answer session with the Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE) last week. "I think generally speaking, we want to see shorter events… not in every circumstance," France told the group, "… It’s no secret that attention spans, especially with the millennial fans, are changing, and we all know that. But what we like about it from our standpoint is it makes the actual racing event better because there’s no lull in between the beginning and the end, or there’s a lot smaller lull, so teams have to compete." France said a longer race doesn’t necessarily allow drivers time to relax "but they’re not as pressed to be up front at a certain time. "But if you shorten it, they will, and we’ve seen that when we do shorten it," he said. "We tend to get better (quality of races), and we measure that by lead changes and how close the winning margins (are) and a lot of different metrics that we use. So we’ve got a pretty good handle on that, and … a 400-mile race will give us, most of the time, a better racing competition, and that’s in addition to the time spans and attention spans of millennial fans; those two go together for us to shorten it up somehow." France didn’t rule out dropping the length of a race below 400 miles, but noted that any such decisions would "also depend on if there are any format changes that we’d be willing to consider, that we look at all the time, that we historically haven’t done."(NASCAR.com)(4-28-2015)
- Bayne Undergoing Medical Tests; Will Not Race in Richmond: Roush Fenway’s [and Wood Brothers Racing’s #21] Trevor Bayne has been hospitalized and is undergoing tests for symptoms that are thought to be related to the insect bite he sustained earlier this month. "Trevor was not feeling well early this week and he is currently being evaluated for lingering symptoms that may be related to his previous insect bite," said Roush Fenway president Steve Newmark. "Unfortunately Trevor will not be available to drive the #16 Ford for us this weekend in the Nationwide race at Richmond [Bayne was not scheduled to run the Sprint Cup race as the #21 Wood Brother’s team runs a limited schedule]. As of now, our plans are to use a substitute driver from the Roush Fenway family of drivers in place of Trevor at Friday night’s race. Obviously Trevor wanted to be in Richmond and he’s upset about not being able to compete. However, his health is our top priority and we insisted that he have these tests to get to the bottom of his symptoms. We will work to provide you with further updates as they become available." The 20-year old driver was treated and released earlier this month after a reaction from an apparent insect bite on his left elbow that he suffered earlier that week while at home in North Carolina.(Roush Fenway Racing)(4-28-2011)
- Sad News – David Poole: David Poole, NASCAR Writer for Charlotte Observer for the last 13 years, passed away today. David was one the first writers to ever help Jayski.com and myself back in 1997. No word on arrangements. Thoughts go out to David’s family.
From the Charlotte Observer/Thatsracin: Over thousands of backstretches and hundreds of checkered flags, David Poole made himself into more than one of the nation’s leading authorities on NASCAR. He became a part of the sport he loved. "David Poole was as much a fixture in this sport as the actual cars themselves," driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. said Tuesday. "He was a one-of-a-kind individual and an extremely talented writer." Poole, who covered racing for the Observer, died of a heart attack Tuesday at his Stanly County home. He was 50. A native of Gastonia, N.C., Poole became the Observer’s NASCAR writer in 1997. He built a national following through ThatsRacin.com and a daily program he hosted on Sirius NASCAR Radio. The National Motorsports Press Association four times named him its writer of the year. He wrote about the sport with the enthusiasm of a fan and the critical eye of a journalist. "He could be controversial from time to time but he always wrote and spoke what he believed," said Richard Childress, president and CEO Richard Childress Racing. "He didn’t pull any punches with anybody and that’s what people respected about him. He was good for the sport."
To honor Poole, Sirius plans to broadcast a tribute Wednesday morning. NASCAR plans a moment of silence before Saturday’s race at Richmond.
"He was truly one of the nation’s best and he always wrote what he believed," said Bruton Smith, chairman and CEO of Speedway Motorsports. "Whether you agreed with him or not, he made us all think, and that’s what the best writers do. He cared about what he did and had a passion for his work. It came through in what he wrote every day."
In announcing Poole’s death to a hushed newsroom Tuesday afternoon, Observer editor Rick Thames called him "the best in his field, there’s no doubt about that." Thames said: "David Poole was the fans’ reporter, always covering NASCAR with their sensibilities in mind. Their passions were his passions. Their values, his values. If that occasionally clashed with the powerbrokers of the sport, so be it. David told it like it was. And by doing that, he made the sport richer and more genuine for all who love it."
After dramatic weekend crashes at Talledega – one of which sent two spectators to hospitals – Poole criticized the track’s design in a column headlined "Will it take a death for Talladega to change?"
"It seems we’ve decided we can live with that much damage being done to the sport’s customers for ‘good racing,’" he wrote. "How many people have to be listed in ‘guarded’ or ‘critical’ condition before we say that’s too much?"
Poole graduated from journalism school at UNC Chapel Hill in 1981. He took a job at the Virginian Pilot in Norfolk but was there just two months when he got a call from the Gastonia Gazette, where he eventually became sports editor. In 1989 he left for a newspaper in Palm Beach but returned a year later for a job at the Observer in part to be closer to his family. After taking over the motorsports beat from Tom Higgins a few years later, it didn’t take him long to make his mark. "I’d go in restaurants in Mooresville and people would say, ‘Did you read what Poole wrote today?’" Higgins said. "And I’d say that’s the first thing I read." Early last year, Poole told the story of Wessa Miller, a Kentucky girl with spina bifida and a passion for Dale Earnhardt. He recounted how in 1998 she met her idol at the Daytona 500, a race Earnhardt had never won. She gave him a lucky penny, which he glued to his dashboard before going on to win his first 500. A few months after he wrote the story, Poole learned that Wessa’s father faced unexpected heart surgery. Poole started an account called "Pennies For Wessa" to help the family through its troubles.
Guest book: Post your condolences.(4-28-2009)
- DEI picks up option on Truex, good thru 2009: When there’s been talk about potential free agents for 2009, #1-Martin Truex, Jr. has had his name passed around in more than one story or conversation. There’s one hitch. His current deal with Dale Earnhardt Inc is good through next season according to team president Max Siegel. "We have an option that we’ve picked up for 2009, so that’s always reported in a confusing way. We love Martin and we’re having discussions about extending it for a long-term deal, but we’re good through 2009. He’s important to our organization…we’re giving him everything we possibly can and what he needs to win and be happy here long term." Siegel also thinks the on track performance of all four DEI cars is on the upswing. "I think we’re making significant progress. The #15 team’s performance on a weekly basis is indicative of how we’ve elevated the program. We’ve got to stay very patient and focused. If you look at the #1 team and the #8…we’re doing great…got some consistency with our engines and the energy is just fantastic."(PRN’s Garage Pass Radio Show)(4-28-2008)
- JR Motorsports to Add Second Team: Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s JR Motorsports Busch Series team plans to expand to a two-car effort later this season, with Shane Huffman driving in five or six races as a teammate to Mark McFarland. JR Motorsports hopes to expand to a two-car team full time in 2007. Huffman drives for JR Motorsports in the Hooters Pro Cup series, standing second in the Southern Division points standings.(NASCAR Scene)(4-28-2006)
- Geoffrey Bodine to attempt some Cup races for Rick Ware: Geoffrey Bodine said he plans on driving in three to five Nextel Cup events this year with Rick Ware’s #52 Dodge, starting with next month’s Nextel Cup All-Star Challenge at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC.(Elmira Star Gazette), Jose Luis Ramirez recently tested for Ware at Infineon Raceway, but crashed, supposedly will still try to attempt to make the June race.(4-28-2005)
- Rudd/Andretti on the hotseat? SpeedFX is reporting "rumor is that both John Andretti and Ricky Rudd are on thin ice with their respective owners, although no one will confirm anything. According to (SpeedFX) sources, team owner Robert Yates is very disappointed with Rudd’s efforts in 2000." "Andretti and Petty Enterprises have had a cooling relationship for some time. With support from General Motors dwindling, and the team focused on making a fresh start with Dodge in 2001, Andretti will probably find himself moved aside in favor of a new driver before year’s end."(SpeedFX). Jayski Note: Robert Yates was on RPM2 Night recently and seemed happy with the #28 and thinks they will come around. Rudd is signed to a 2 year deal, and the season is only a little over a 1/4 done. As for John Andretti, he has said he is happy at Petty Enterprises and Kyle Petty has gone out of his way to praise Andretti, who is signed thru 2001 and hasn’t even started the full Cheerio’s sponsorship in the #43 yet. Guess time will tell(4-28-2000)
- Eddie Cheever to BGN/CUP UPDATE 1: Indy 500 Winner, IRL and IROC driver, Eddie Cheever will drive a limited schedule in the BGN this season(WC Scene). TNN’s Raceday reports it’ll be with BACE Motorsports(2-7-1999) – UPDATE 1: Cheever said Wednesday he is putting together a team that will begin fielding a BGN team next season. He said his intention would be to participate in NASCAR’s Winston Cup series as well. He hopes his program will start in about 2 months and is sorting out what make the team will use. Cheever said he would likely be the team’s driver to start the 2000 season. Cheever said going to the Grand National series first would allow his team an opportunity to hopefully win more quickly, but also give his team a chance to ‘figure out’ the Winston Cup series(That’s Racin'), Cheever was on RPM2Nite but didn’t mention this.(4-28-1999)
- Diamond Ridge Motorsports has released Jeff Green, and suspended all Winston Cup #29 operations. The team will be preparing cars for Elliott Sadler #92, five races this year & full season for 1999. Busch teams owned by DRM are NOT effected. During an interview on RPM2Nite, owner Gary Bechtel said while Jeff Green is still under contract with DRM, he is trying to find Green a ride. He also mentioned that later in the season, if sponsorship is found and the team improves, he may put the team back on the track. No mention on if Sadler would be in the #92 or #29 in 1999. The team is concentrating on winning the 1998 Busch Grand National championship.(4-28-98)
Click a link below for a full listing of news from each year: