Jayski's Silly Season SiteJayski's Silly Season Site
ORLANDO, FL - DECEMBER 10: 2004 NASCAR Busch Series Champion Martin Truex Jr. (L) poses with Dale Earnhardt Jr., co-owner of the Chance 2 Motorsports #8 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet, and the championship trophy at the 2004 NASCAR Busch Series Awards Ceremony at the Portofino Bay Hotel on December 10, 2004 in Orlando, Florida. (Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images for NASCAR) | Getty Images

May 7 – Today in Jayski’s NASCAR history


May 7, 2006

  • National Guard off #16 end of 2006? UPDATE: it was reported towards the end of Richmond Nextel Cup qualifying by Speed Channel’s Bob Dilner, that National Guard, the sponsor of the #16 Ford that Greg Biffle drives [and is on the Richmond pole with], could be off the car after the 2006 season. Something to do with NASCAR’s rule that a team can only have four cars. No word on what would happen with the #16 car. team, Biffle or if National Guard would stay in the sport on a different team.(5-5-2006)
    UPDATE: Geoff Smith, president of Roush Racing, says he last talked to NASCAR officials about a month ago on complying with NASCAR’s four-team limit. NASCAR announced last year that they would limit organizations to four teams. Roush fields five teams. Roush officials say contracts with sponsors and drivers go through the 2009 season. Smith says he’s hopeful the organization can fulfill those contracts before downsizing. "They’ve made it pretty clear that they don’t want an indefinite window," Smith said about NASCAR. "Philosophically, it seems like we’re on the same page. I expect … we’re going to do this on a year-to-year basis with the view that if we can get it done before then we will." Smith also said that the team is in talks with the National Guard about returning as a sponsor. The National Guard is scheduled to be the primary sponsor in 22 races for Greg Biffle this season.(Roanoke Times)(5-7-2006)
  • Busch Series to Race in Canada?: UPDATE 4: With a second race in Mexico City behind the NASCAR Busch Series, the teams can expect to cross the border again next year – possibly two different borders. Canada remains on the NASCAR radar as the next international venue for the circuit, possibly as early at next year.(NASCAR Scene)(3-16-2006)
    UPDATE: A small contingent of NASCAR officials planned to travel to Montreal this week to scout the city for a possible Busch Series race there next season. NASCAR expanded into Mexico last year, and Canadian officials have been trying to get on the schedule. Spokesman Jim Hunter said series officials will tour several different venues, and any expansion would be strictly for the lower-tier Busch Series.(Alabama Live)(5-1-2006)
    UPDATE 2: A group of Toronto investors has made a bid to buy Cayuga 2000 Speedway near Hamilton and turn it into a NASCAR ready facility that would seat in excess of 60,000. The proposal also involves lengthening the existing 5/8ths mile oval to a mile. In return, the proposed Cayuga owners will get serious consideration for either a NASCAR Busch Series or Craftsman Truck Series race when the project is completed. "Apparently this group has already been talking to NASCAR officials," a source close to the deal told the Toronto Sun yesterday. "They were essentially told that if they build it NASCAR will come – but only the junior series." Another source with connections to the current owners Garry Evans and Brad Litkey said the owners have given the Toronto group two weeks to come up with a deal to buy the facility. NASCAR vice-president Jim Hunter told an Associated Press reporter in Talladega that a small group of NASCAR executives planned to tour Montreal’s Circuit Gilles Villeneuve this week in preparation for a possible race there in 2007. But Hunter also said that while in Canada, the group could tour several other race facilities – including Cayuga.(Toronto Sun)(5-2-2006)
    UPDATE 3: An impressive mid-week visit to Montreal has excited NASCAR officials planning to expand their popular Busch Series to Canada in a move that could take place as early as next season. Seven NASCAR officials inspected the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, a temporary street course, and deemed the course ready with little changes need, according to Steve O’Donnell, managing director of events and operations. The only alteration would be a short extension of the pit road. Montreal could be targeted for the 2007 season as the third road course race for the Busch Series. The event would join Watkins and Glen Mexico, which recently held its second race in March and has been extremely popular for NASCAR outside the U.S. It’s not known if NASCAR officials will try to fit Montreal for their 2007 season. The Busch Series schedule currently holds 35 races, and another race would put NASCAR at a maximum number that it considers for its Nextel Cup season. The possibility exists that Canada could only get a race if another event would lose a current Busch date.(CBC Sports)(5-6-2006)
    UPDATE 4: The debate now is when in 2007 might NASCAR plug in a Busch race in Montreal. The best guess is late July, probably the 22nd or 29th. NASCAR would almost certainly want the Montreal race to be on an off-Nextel Cup weekend, so it can haul in some of its Nextel Cup stars.(Winston-Salem Journal)(5-7-2006)


Main Page | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997