With NASCAR on a temporary hiatus, news has been slow. To help fill the NASCAR void, have been taking you on a daily trip down memory lane spanning the years since the Jayski’s site inception. Using our news archives pages, here’s a look back at what’s happened on this date through the last 23 years in NASCAR. With the resumption of NASCAR in a couple weeks, this feature will end May 10, but you can always check out old news on our Archives pages.
This day in NASCAR history: May 10
Years we have pulled today’s main items from: 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2001
Top see everything from this date over previous years: Main Page | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997
Note: Many links on older stories don’t work. There’s not a lot of the same websites around anymore.
To see previous articles covering "Today in History", click here.
- Truex wants to remain with Furniture Row: Martin Truex, Jr. would like to remain in the #78 FRR car "for a long time." Last year, Truex extended his contract through 2016 but he hopes to continue building a successful relationship with the Denver-based team beyond this season. When would he like renegotiate? "Right now," Truex said with a chuckle. "The problem I’ve had with my career is it’s been up and down. And that’s because of change. That’s because you get in situations where they don’t go the way you thought they were going to go.
"DEI (Dale Earnhardt Inc.) fell apart. I stayed there too long. It was a tough situation. You look at Jimmie Johnson. You look at Denny Hamlin, Kyle Busch. They get with a team and they just keep building on that foundation. Year in, year out, they’re the guys to beat because they have that around them. They have that solid – just rock. They can build on things and look at past history . All they have is the car and the rule changes and those kind of things. They don’t have to figure out everything else that goes along with it."
Truex won two Xfinity Series titles with DEI and dabbled with their Cup program prior to graduating to NASCAR’s top tour full-time in 2006. When DEI merged with Chip Ganassi’s program in 2009, he stayed the course before joining Michael Waltrip Racing in 2010. Although he left MWR at the end of 2013 – and before the organization’s ultimate demise last year – Truex, 36, understands FRR has the potential to blossom into a perennial contender. "With Cole and those guys, it’s something special and it’s something I’d like to keep going for a long, long time," Truex said. "To get where I want to get in the sport, that’s what you have to have. Hopefully, we can make it work."(Motorsport)(5-10-2016)
- Mears hopes to return to Germain Racing next year: Casey Mears’ status is uncertain for next season. While the 37-year-old driver of the #13 Geico Chevrolet remains optimistic, Mears expected to have his next contract signed by now. "Honestly, I really don’t know yet," Mears told motorsport.com on Friday. "We’ve had a lot more speed this year. Obviously, our stuff has gotten better. As far as I know, everything is really positive. We haven’t really dove into those conversations yet. All indications are that we’re moving forward into next year. But some point, we need to have that conversation for sure. I’m surprised that it took so long for someone to mention it because in this day and age, everything happens so early. Definitely, we need to start having conversations and find out when that’s going to be." Mears has piloted the No. 13 Geico Sprint Cup car for Germain Racing since the Bristol August race in 2010. The team changed manufacturers before last season from Ford to Chevy – along with a technical alliance with Richard Childress Racing. While there were rumors that Ty Dillon could end up with the ride next season, it’s more likely that Richard Childress’ grandson would drive the #33 Chevy with support from Bass Pro Shops. Germain Racing declined comment on Mears’ status.(Motorsport)(5-10-2015)
- 5-Hour Energy "good" with NASCAR: After questioning NASCAR’s integrity last season, the president of 5-Hour Energy said the company’s sponsorship extension with Clint Bowyer is an endorsement of the Sprint Cup Series’ direction. "We’re good," 5-Hour president Scott Henderson said Friday at Kansas Speedway, where the company launched a new flavor that will help benefit the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. "Obviously, we wouldn’t have signed up for three more years if we weren’t OK with it." Last September at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Henderson cast doubt on the sponsor’s future in NASCAR in the wake of a race manipulation scandal at Richmond International Raceway. NASCAR levied an unprecedented penalty on Michael Waltrip Racing drivers Bowyer, Martin Truex Jr. and Brian Vickers, but the sanctioning body issued lighter punishments to Team Penske and Front Row Motorsports. NASCAR chairman Brian France also expanded the Chase for the Sprint Cup field to 13 drivers, which didn’t seem to please Henderson. Henderson said Friday he hadn’t talked to France since the incident but indicated approval of NASCAR’s long-term handling in the aftermath. "I’m not in charge," he said. " I wouldn’t change the rules in the middle of the season, but I think we’re OK." Henderson said 5-Hour began putting together the extension for Bowyer’s #15 Toyota at the end of last season.(USA Today)(5-10-2014)
- North Wilkesboro Speedway Closing: For the last 1 ½ years, Speedway Associates Inc. has taken race fans and Wilkes County residents on a history-making ride with the reopening of North Wilkesboro Speedway which had been shuttered for 14 years. However, the business climate and a lack of working capital has now brought everything at the historic facility to a screeching halt. "Simply put, we made a lot of improvements to the speedway," Speedway Associates Inc. President Alton McBride Jr. said Monday. "We lined up some great events. However, even though we can project positive income from events at the speedway, we do not have the money needed on the front end to make those events happen. In spite of our complete investment in the speedway and in this community, we have run out of money necessary to go forward."
Despite the unexpected re-shuttering of the track after the 2011 season had begun, McBride said it was "not entirely a sad day" due to everything that had been accomplished, including receiving the North Carolina Motorsports Association’s industry award for the track’s contribution to motorsports in 2010. Speedway Associates began its journey at the five-eighths-mile track in November 2009 with an ambitious but strategic plan to reopen North Wilkesboro Speedway, which was closed after the fall NASCAR Cup race in 1996. Immediately, its name was adjusted to Historic North Wilkesboro Speedway in order to pay respect to the track’s place in motorsports history. From Labor Day weekend 2010 through the 2011 season-opening richest-ever Pro All-Star Series race, the SAI team conducted six large and more than a dozen small successful events. In 2010 PASS and SAI executives announced "The Race", which guaranteed a minimum $75,000 to the winner. Approximately 80 drivers, including past Daytona 500 winners Sterling Marlin and Geoff Bodine, entered the event. Every region of the United States, as well as Canada, was represented in the history-making race.(more at historicnws.com and / or savethespeedway.net)(5-10-2011)
- Another Elliott in the winners circle: Chase Elliott, the 13-year-old son of NASCAR driver Bill Elliott, collected his first career Late Model victory by winning Saturday night’s Georgia Asphalt Series 100 at Lanier National Speedway in Braselton, Ga. Elliott, who started second, passed teammate Casey Roderick for the lead on the .375-mile paved oval with three laps remaining. Bill Elliott was in attendance for the event.(5-10-2009)
- Earnhardt Jr. To Drive for New Team in 2008 Four-time NASCAR Most Popular Driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr., announced today at a news conference at JR Motorsports that negotiations to extend his driving contract with Dale Earnhardt Inc. have come to an amicable end. Earnhardt Jr. will continue driving the #8 Budweiser Chevrolet through the remainder of the season, while his sister, Vice President and General Manager of JR Motorsports, Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, will begin exploring new opportunities for 2008. Earnhardt Jr. said Thursday he would look at his options in the coming months and hopefully announce a decision mid to late summer. "What team I drive for next season, I don’t know," Earnhardt Jr. said. "But what I do want to say is that it’s been a privilege to drive for DEI. After a year of intense negotiations and concerted efforts to extend my contract there, it became evident that while we want to get to the same place, we simply have different visions on how to get there." Earnhardt Jr. made the announcement with his sister, Earnhardt Elledge, by his side, and many of the Earnhardt family in attendance. "DEI will always be a special place for me and my family," Earnhardt Jr. said. "(Owner) Teresa (Earnhardt) and (Vice President of Global Operations) Max Seigel are taking the necessary steps to bring DEI back to one of the front-running NASCAR teams. However I am 32 years old – the same age as my father when he made his final and most important career decision – and the time for me to compete on a consistent basis and contend for championships is now. Since that is what I plan to do, I feel strongly that I would have my father’s blessing." Earnhardt Jr. said JR Motorsports will continue to work with DEI on many projects that will benefit both companies and protect the legacy of his father. A full transcript of today’s news conference will be released later this afternoon.(JR Motorsports PR)(5-10-2007)
- Dale Jr. to leave DEI after 2007 season UPDATE: Statement from Teresa Earnhardt/DEI: In response to today’s announcement by Dale Earnhardt, Jr., that he will be leaving DEI, Teresa Earnhardt, CEO of Dale Earnhardt, Inc. issued the following statement. "While we are very disappointed that Dale Jr. has chosen to leave the family business, we remain excited about our company’s future. Our aggressive expansion and diversification plans have not changed. This company has continued to thrive since Dale left us in 2001, and it will thrive following today’s announcement. Dale and I built this company to be a championship-contender, and those principles still apply. Dale Earnhardt, Inc. will win, and we have other extremely talented drivers and hundreds of employees that are dedicated to the programs we founded. This company has a great legacy and a bright future, built on loyalty, integrity, and commitment."(DEI)
UPDATE: some highlights from the Dale Earnhardt Jr. press conference:
Dale Jr. will leave DEI at the end of the season
Sponsor/Budweiser? will be discussed in a timely manner
Car #8: No decision, but Dale Jr. expects DEI to keep the car number 8. Note: NASCAR owns and assigns car numbers to an owner(s). NASCAR reserves the right to revoke or transfer car numbers to another owner/team at any time. Car numbers are non-assignable and non-transferable, except by NASCAR. NASCAR works with teams and sponsors when a specific number is requested. Team have been known to ‘sell’ car numbers, like when DEI got the number from the Stovala Brothers in 2000, #15 from Bud Moore, etc.
Crew Chief Tony Eury Jr.: no decision on if crew chief Eury Jr. will go with DaleJr, Dale Jr. said he can’t speak for Eury Jr.
DEI Teammate Truex Jr.: is not part of this situation or discussion
1) sign with a top tier Nextel Cup team [one that wins and runs for the championship
2) sign with a second tier team
3) and the last choice, would be to run Nextel Cup with Dale Jr’s own team, JR Motorsports, but no plans for that to happen at this points, Dale Jr. does hope he can drive a few Busch Series [or whatever it will be called in 2008] out of the JR Motorsports shop.
Why leave DEI? Dale Jr. said he negotiations were never close, and he knows fans are disappointed, but so is he.(5-10-2007)
- Paul Wolfe back in the #6 for Richmond: Unilever Foods and Evernham Motorsports announced today that Paul Wolfe will be back in the driver’s seat of #6 Hungry Drivers Dodge Charger for this weekend’s Funai 250 at Richmond International Raceway as well as NASCAR Busch Series events at Dover and Nashville. Kasey Kahne will drive the #6 Dodge at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. Wolfe, who shared driving duties of the #6 Hungry Drivers Dodge in 2004 with three other up and coming drivers, ran the first three NASCAR Busch Series events of the 2005 season including Daytona, California and Las Vegas. Jeremy Mayfield and Kasey Kane [and Mike Wallace] have since split driving duties of the #6 Dodge. The team’s highest finish of the season is an eighth-place finish this past weekend at Darlington Raceway with Jeremy Mayfield behind the wheel.(Hungry Drivers Racing)(5-10-2005)
- Ganassi Racing to have a Busch team in 2005: been told that Ganassi Racing will run a full time Busch program next year in house and possibly a second team for 15 – 20 Busch races also. Supposedly the drivers will be some combination of their current three Cup drivers (Marlin, McMurray and Mears) and possibly David Stremme and/or Reed Sorenson. Ganassi Racing also plans to move into their new building by the Concord [NC] Airport in July.(5-10-2004)
- Double Gibbs: Joe Gibbs’ two sons, J.D. and Coy, are racing Saturday in the Craftsman Truck Series 200-miler at Darlington Raceway.(Gaston Gazette). J.D. will be in the #48 HotRod Magazine Chevy and Coy in the #20 MBNA Chevy(5-10-2001)
Click a link below for a full listing of news from each year: