NASCAR Cup Series Playoff Fast Facts Race No. 8: Texas Motor Speedway
- The NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs began in 2004 and Texas Motor Speedway was added to the Playoffs in 2005, replacing Darlington Raceway. Texas Motor Speedway has hosted the eighth race in the NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs since being added to the postseason in 2005.
|NASCAR Cup Series|
|Playoff Race No. 8 – Race Winners|
|2004||Dale Earnhardt Jr||Phoenix|
- Only two tracks have hosted the eighth race in the NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs: Phoenix Raceway (2004) and Texas Motor Speedway (2005-Present).
- Six different drivers have won the NASCAR Cup Series Playoff races at Texas Motor Speedway, led by Jimmie Johnson with five victories:
- Jimmie Johnson (2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Carl Edwards (2005, 2008, 2016)
- Kevin Harvick (2017, 2018, 2019)
- Tony Stewart (2006, 2011),
- Denny Hamlin (2010)
- Kurt Busch (2009)
- Seven different drivers have won the eighth race in the NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs, the six winners at Kansas Speedway and Dale Earnhardt Jr. at Phoenix Raceway in 2004.
- Three times the winner of the eighth race in the NASCAR Cup Series Playoff has gone on to win the title later that same season – all three at Texas Motor Speedway:
- In 2007, Jimmie Johnson won from the eighth starting position at Texas Motor Speedway and went on to win his second consecutive NASCAR Cup Series title later that season. The Playoff win at Texas was his third of four consecutive victories in the 2007 Playoffs – the only driver to win four straight in the NASCAR Cup Series postseason (Martinsville, Atlanta, Texas, Phoenix).
- In 2011, Tony Stewart won from the fifth starting position at Texas Motor Speedway and went on to win his third NASCAR Cup Series championship later that season. The Texas Playoff win was Stewart’s fourth of his record setting five NASCAR Cup Series Playoff wins in a single postseason run in 2011 (Chicago, New Hampshire, Martinsville, Texas, Miami).
- In 2013, Jimmie Johnson won from the third starting position at Texas Motor Speedway and went on to win his sixth NASCAR Cup Series championship later that season. The Texas Playoff win was Johnson’s second postseason victory (Dover, Texas) in 2013.
- The worst finish in the eighth NASCAR Cup Series Playoff race by a driver that went on to win the title:
- At Texas Motor Speedway it was 38th by Jimmie Johnson in 2009.
- At Phoenix Raceway it was 10th by Kurt Busch in 2004.
- The 2018 series champion, Joey Logano, finished third in the 2018 Texas Playoff race.
- Last season’s champion, Kyle Busch, finished seventh in the 2019 Texas Playoff race.
- Three times a non-Playoff driver has won the Playoff race at Texas Motor Speedway:
- In 2006, Tony Stewart was ranked 11th in the point standings at the time of the win.
- In 2014, Jimmie Johnson was 11th in points at the time of the win. Johnson had made the Playoffs in 2014 but was eliminated in the Round of 12.
- In 2015, Jimmie Johnson was 12th in points at the time of the win. Johnson had made the Playoffs in 2015 but was eliminated in the Round of 16.
NASCAR Cup Series 2020 Top 16 in the Playoff Standings at Texas Motor Speedway
|Rank||Driver||Races||Poles||Wins||Top Fives||Top 10s||DNFs||Average Finish||Driver Rating|
|7||Martin Truex Jr||30||2||0||4||16||4||14.0||93.4|
* – Based on last 30 races at Texas Motor Speedway (2005 – 2020).
Texas Motor Speedway:
- Construction on Texas Motor Speedway (TMS) began in 1995.
- The first NASCAR national series race at Texas Motor Speedway was a NASCAR Xfinity Series event on April 5, 1997 – won by NASCAR Hall of Famer Mark Martin.
- The first NASCAR Cup Series race at Texas Motor Speedway was on April 6, 1997 – the race was won by Jeff Burton.
- The track underwent a repave between the 2001 and 2002 seasons.
- In 2011, the spring NASCAR Cup Series race was moved from Sunday to Saturday night under the lights at Texas Motor Speedway. 2017 marked the first season it was moved back to a Sunday afternoon race.
- Texas Motor Speedway hosted its first NASCAR Cup Series Playoff race on November 6, 2005 – won by Roush Fenway Racing driver Carl Edwards.
- The track underwent its second repave between the 2016 and 2017 seasons. The renovation added a new layer of asphalt over the existing pavement, an expansive French drainage system on the frontstretch and backstretch and reduced the banking in Turns 1 and 2 by four degrees (now 20 degrees).
- There have been 39 NASCAR Cup Series races at Texas Motor Speedway, one event from 1997 – 2004 and two races per year since 2005.
- A total of 173 different drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Cup Series race at Texas Motor Speedway; a 139 drivers have competed in more than one race at Texas.
- Kevin Harvick and Kurt Busch lead the series in starts at Texas Motor Speedway with 35 each.
- Seven drivers have made their first NASCAR Cup Series career start at Texas Motor Speedway:
|John H. Nemechek||Sunday, November 3, 2019|
|Parker Kligerman||Sunday, November 3, 2013|
|David Starr||Saturday, April 9, 2011|
|Trevor Bayne||Sunday, November 7, 2010|
|Brad Keselowski||Sunday, November 2, 2008|
|Jay Sauter||Monday, April 8, 2002|
|Adam Petty||Sunday, April 2, 2000|
- Steve Park (five starts) leads the NASCAR Cup Series in average starting position at Texas Motor Speedway with an 8.0.
- Ryan Blaney (11 starts) leads all active NASCAR Cup Series drivers in average starting position at Texas Motor Speedway with an 8.9; followed by Jimmie Johnson with a 10.2 in 34 starts.
Top 10 in Average Starting Position in the NASCAR Cup Series at Texas (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg Start||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Start||Races|
|1||Steve Park||8.000||5||1||Ryan Blaney||8.909||11|
|2||Ryan Blaney||8.909||11||2||Jimmie Johnson||10.265||34|
|3||Jimmie Johnson||10.265||34||3||Joey Logano||12.708||24|
|4||Kenny Irwin Jr||10.667||3||4||Kurt Busch||13.429||35|
|5||Daniel Hemric||11.500||2||5||Denny Hamlin||13.483||29|
|6||Jeff Gordon||12.033||30||6||Kyle Busch||13.966||30|
|7||Carl Edwards||12.333||24||7||Erik Jones||14.375||8|
|8||Joey Logano||12.708||24||8||Martin Truex Jr||14.567||30|
|9||Dale Earnhardt Jr||13.200||30||9||Brad Keselowski||14.792||24|
|10||Greg Biffle||13.346||26||10||Daniel Suarez||15.286||7|
- A total of 25 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won the pole at Texas Motor Speedway; 10 of the 25 are active this weekend.
- Kurt Busch leads the NASCAR Cup Series in poles at Texas Motor Speedway with three (Spring 2015, Playoffs 2017, Spring 2018).
- The inaugural Pole Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway in 1997 was cancelled due to weather conditions – Dale Jarrett started the race from the first starting position.
- Jeremy Mayfield was the first NASCAR Cup Series pole winner in 1998 at Texas Motor Speedway with a speed of 185.906 mph.
- Nine different drivers have won multiple poles at Texas; five are active this weekend.
- Three drivers have won consecutive poles at Texas Motor Speedway: Bobby Labonte (2003 and 2004), Ryan Newman (2005 sweep) and Kurt Busch (2017 and 2018).
- Youngest Texas series pole winner: Brian Vickers (Nov. 5, 2006 – 23 years, 0 months, 12 days).
- Oldest Texas series pole winner: Bill Elliott (April 8, 2002 – 46 years, 6 months, 0 days).
- David Ragan (April 9, 2011) and Martin Truex Jr. (November 4, 2007) are the only two drivers who have posted their first NASCAR Cup Series pole at Texas Motor Speedway.
|NASCAR Cup Series|
|Organization Pole Wins|
|Joe Gibbs Racing||5|
|Roush Fenway Racing||3|
|Dale Earnhardt Inc.||3|
|Michael Waltrip Racing||2|
|Richard Childress Racing||1|
|Robert Yates Racing||1|
- 10 different organizations have won a pole at Texas Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series.
- Hendrick Motorsports and Stewart-Haas Racing lead the NASCAR Cup Series in poles at Texas Motor Speedway with seven each
- Hendrick Motorsports – Terry Labonte (2000), Brian Vickers (Fall 2006), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (Spring 2008), Jeff Gordon (Fall 2008, Fall 2009), Jimmie Johnson (Fall 2012, Spring 2019).
- Stewart-Haas Racing – Tony Stewart (Spring 2010, Spring 2014), Kurt Busch (Spring 2015, Playoffs 2017, Spring 2018), Kevin Harvick (Spring 2017, Playoffs 2019).
- Four different manufacturers have won a NASCAR Cup Series pole at Texas Motor Speedway; led by Chevrolet (15 poles), and followed by Ford (12), Toyota (five) and Dodge (four).
- A total of 20 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won at Texas Motor Speedway, nine of the 20 series Texas winners are active this weekend.
- Jimmie Johnson leads the series in wins at Texas with seven victories (2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 sweep and 2017) in 34 starts.
- Nine drivers have multiple wins at Texas Motor Speedway; five of them are active this weekend.
- Three NASCAR Cup Series drivers have posted consecutive wins at Texas Motor Speedway: Jimmie Johnson (2014 Playoff race and 2015 sweep), Carl Edwards (2008 sweep) and Denny Hamlin (2010 sweep).
- Youngest Texas winner: Joey Logano (April 7, 2014 – 23 years, 10 months, 14 days).
- Oldest Texas winner: Dale Jarrett (April 1, 2001 – 44 years, 4 months, 6 days).
- Jeff Burton (April 6, 1997) and Dale Earnhardt Jr. (April 2, 2000) are the only two drivers to win their first NASCAR Cup Series career race at Texas Motor Speedway.
- All nine active NASCAR Cup Series drivers who have won at Texas Motor Speedway participated in at least two or more races before visiting Victory Lane – Ryan Newman won in the fewest appearances of the nine winners – he won in his second appearance at TMS.
- Six of the nine active winning drivers made 10 or more attempts before their first win at Texas Motor Speedway: Kevin Harvick (29), Matt Kenseth (25), Kyle Busch (15) Austin Dillon (15), Kurt Busch (13), and Joey Logano (11).
- Martin Truex Jr. leads the series among active drivers with the most NASCAR Cup Series starts at Texas Motor Speedway without visiting Victory Lane at 30 starts; followed by Clint Bowyer (29).
- Four of the 39 NASCAR Cup Series races (10.2%) at Texas Motor Speedway have been won from the pole or first starting position: Kasey Kahne (2006), Jimmie Johnson (2012), Kyle Busch (2013) and Kevin Harvick (2019).
- Seven of the 39 NASCAR Cup Series races (17.9%) at Texas Motor Speedway have been won from the front row: four from first starting position and three from the second starting position.
- The third starting position is the most proficient starting position in the field at Texas Motor Speedway, producing more wins (eight) than any other starting position – most recently: Kyle Busch’s win in the 2018 Playoff race.
NASCAR Cup Series Wins by Starting Positions at Texas Motor Speedway
<td”>Starting PositionWinsWinning %<td”>1012.56%<td”>1512.56%<td”>1612.56%<td”>1912.56%<td”>2412.56%<td”>2912.56%<td”>3025.13%<td”>3112.56%<td”>
|Starting Position||Wins||Winning %|
|Winning from the First Starting Position:|
|Winning from the Front Row:|
|Winning from a Top-Five Starting Position:|
|Winning After Starting Outside the Top 20:|
- The deepest in the field that a race winner has started at Texas Motor Speedway is 31st, by Matt Kenseth in 2002.
- Two NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won at Texas Motor Speedway in two different manufacturers: Jeff Burton (1997 – Ford; 2007 – Chevrolet) and Carl Edwards (2005, 2008 sweep – Ford; 2016 – Toyota)
|Texas Motor Speedway Owner Wins|
|Roush Fenway Racing||9|
|Joe Gibbs Racing||8|
|Robert Yates Racing||2|
|Richard Childress Racing||2|
|Dale Earnhardt Inc.||1|
- A total of nine different organizations have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Texas Motor Speedway.
- Roush Fenway Racing and Hendrick Motorsports lead the NASCAR Cup Series in wins at Texas Motor Speedway with nine victories each:
o Roush Fenway Racing – Jeff Burton (Spring 1997), Mark Martin (1998), Matt Kenseth (Spring 2002, Spring 2011), Greg Biffle (2005, 2012), Carl Edwards (Playoffs 2005, 2008 sweep).
o Hendrick Motorsports – Terry Labonte (Spring 1999), Jeff Gordon (Spring 2009), Jimmie Johnson (Playoffs 2007, Playoffs 2012, Playoffs 2013, Playoffs 2014, Spring 2015, Playoffs 2015, Spring 2017).
- Four different manufacturers have won a NASCAR Cup Series race at Texas Motor Speedway, led by Ford with 15 wins; followed by Chevrolet (14), Toyota (seven) and Dodge (three).
ADDITIONAL FINISHING POSITIONS
- A total of 22 different drivers have finished runner-up in the NASCAR Cup Series at Texas.
- Jimmie Johnson leads the series in runner-up finishes at Texas Motor Speedway with five second-place finishes.
Top Five in Runner-Up Finishes at Texas Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
<td”>All-Time DriversRunner-UpsRankActive DriversRunner-Ups<td”>Jimmie Johnson51Jimmie Johnson5<td”>Matt Kenseth42Matt Kenseth4<td”>Dale Earnhardt Jr33Kevin Harvick3<td”>Jeff Gordon34Brad Keselowski2<td”>Kevin Harvick35Clint Bowyer2<td”>
Martin Truex Jr2
- A total of 47 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have finished in the top-five at Texas.
- Jimmie Johnson leads the series in top-five finishes at Texas Motor Speedway with 16 top fives.
Top Five in Top-Five Finishes at Texas Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top Fives||Rank||Active Drivers||Top Fives|
|1||Jimmie Johnson||16||1||Jimmie Johnson||16|
|2||Matt Kenseth||14||2||Matt Kenseth||14|
|3||Kyle Busch||13||3||Kyle Busch||13|
|4||Kevin Harvick||12||4||Kevin Harvick||12|
|5||Joey Logano||11||5||Joey Logano||11|
- A total of 63 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have finished in the top-10 at Texas Motor Speedway.
- Jimmie Johnson leads the series in top-10 finishes at Texas Motor Speedway with 22 top 10s.
Top Five in Top-10 Finishes at Texas Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
<td”>Active DriversTop Fives<td”>Kevin Harvick23<td”>Jimmie Johnson22<td”>Kurt Busch22<td”>Matt Kenseth19<td”>Kyle Busch16<td”>Martin Truex Jr16
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top Fives||Rank|
|5||Dale Earnhardt Jr||18||5|
- Erik Jones (eight starts) leads the NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Texas Motor Speedway with a 9.0.
Top 10 in Average Finishing Position at Texas Motor Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg Finish||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg Finish||Races|
|1||Erik Jones||9.000||8||1||Erik Jones||9.000||8|
|2||Matt Kenseth||9.742||31||2||Matt Kenseth||9.742||31|
|3||Steve Grissom||10.000||2||3||Kevin Harvick||10.229||35|
|4||Kevin Harvick||10.229||35||4||Jimmie Johnson||10.853||34|
|5||Jimmie Johnson||10.853||34||5||Chase Elliott||11.111||9|
|6||Chase Elliott||11.111||9||6||Kyle Busch||11.310||30|
|7||Kyle Busch||11.310||30||7||Joey Logano||13.542||24|
|8||Rusty Wallace||13.100||10||8||Denny Hamlin||13.966||29|
|9||Chad Little||13.500||4||9||Martin Truex Jr||14.033||30|
|10||Joey Logano||13.542||24||10||Kurt Busch||14.057||35|
- A total of 82 different drivers have led at least one lap at Texas Motor Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series.
- Jimmie Johnson (34 starts) leads the series in laps led at Texas Motor Speedway with 1,152.
Top 10 All-Time Laps Leaders in the NASCAR Cup Series at Texas
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Led||Completed||% Led|
|10||Martin Truex Jr||620||9,459||6.6%|
- The most laps led in a single NASCAR Cup Series race at Texas by the race winner is 278 of the scheduled 339 laps (82%) by Tony Stewart on Nov. 5, 2006 – he started eighth and won.
- The most laps led by a driver that did not win in a single NASCAR Cup Series race at Texas is 312 of the scheduled 334 laps (93.4%) by Brad Keselowski on Nov. 8, 2015; he started from the pole and finished second.
- The fewest laps led in a single NASCAR Cup Series race at Texas by the race winner is one lap of the scheduled 334 by Jeff Burton on April 15, 2007 – he started second and won.
- Two female drivers have made a NASCAR Cup Series starts at Texas Motor Speedway: Shawna Robinson and Danica Patrick
- Danica Patrick holds the series record for best finish at Texas Motor Speedway by a female competitor with a 16th-place finish (twice: Spring 2015, Playoffs 2015).
|Date||Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Driver Rating|
|Sunday, November 5, 2017||Danica Patrick||14||17||67.3|
|Sunday, April 9, 2017||Danica Patrick||19||24||59.5|
|Sunday, November 6, 2016||Danica Patrick||22||24||55.1|
|Monday, April 11, 2016||Danica Patrick||26||21||57.7|
|Sunday, November 8, 2015||Danica Patrick||11||16||69.6|
|Saturday, April 11, 2015||Danica Patrick||21||16||74.9|
|Sunday, November 2, 2014||Danica Patrick||27||36||42.4|
|Monday, April 7, 2014||Danica Patrick||24||27||53.2|
|Sunday, November 3, 2013||Danica Patrick||30||25||49.2|
|Saturday, April 13, 2013||Danica Patrick||42||28||42.9|
|Sunday, November 4, 2012||Danica Patrick||32||24||61.4|
|Date||Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position|
|Monday, April 8, 2002||Shawna Robinson||16||36|
TRACK / EVENT STATS
- Since the advent of electronic scoring in 1993, the closest margin of victory in the NASCAR Cup Series at Texas Motor Speedway was the April 4, 2004 race won by Elliott Sadler with a margin of victory of 0.028-second over second-place Kasey Kahne.
Top Five Closest Margin of Victories in the NASCAR Cup Series at Texas:
|Margin of Victory||Winner||Runner-Up||Date|
|0.028||Elliott Sadler||Kasey Kahne||Sunday, April 4, 2004|
|0.149||Austin Dillon||Tyler Reddick||Sunday, July 19, 2020|
|0.152||Denny Hamlin||Jimmie Johnson||Monday, April 19, 2010|
|0.272||Tony Stewart||Jimmie Johnson||Sunday, November 5, 2006|
|0.300||Kyle Busch||Kevin Harvick||Sunday, April 8, 2018|
- Six NASCAR Cup Series races at Texas that have resulted with NASCAR Overtime:
|Sunday, November 4, 2018||334||337||3||Kevin Harvick||Ryan Blaney|
|Sunday, November 2, 2014||334||341||7||Jimmie Johnson||Kevin Harvick|
|Monday, April 7, 2014||334||340||6||Joey Logano||Jeff Gordon|
|Sunday, November 4, 2012||334||335||1||Jimmie Johnson||Brad Keselowski|
|Sunday, April 6, 2008||334||339||5||Carl Edwards||Jimmie Johnson|
|Sunday, November 5, 2006||334||339||5||Tony Stewart||Jimmie Johnson|
- Of the 39 NASCAR Cup Series races at Texas Motor Speedway, only one has been shortened from its originally scheduled distance due to weather:
|Sunday, November 6, 2016||334||293||-41||Carl Edwards||Joey Logano|
- Weather has postponed the NASCAR Cup Series Texas race to another date twice:
|Scheduled Date||Actual Date||Race Winner|
|Sunday, April 6, 2014||Monday, April 7, 2014||Joey Logano|
|Sunday, April 18, 2010||Monday, April 19, 2010||Denny Hamlin|
- Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather conditions twice in the NASCAR Cup Series at Texas:
|Race Date||Driver That Started First|
|Sunday, April 6, 1997||Dale Jarrett|
|Sunday, April 15, 2007||Jeff Gordon|
NASCAR IN TEXAS
- There have been 127 NASCAR national series races among three tracks in the state of Texas.
|Track Name||City||Cup||Xfinity||Truck||Total||First Year|
|Texas Motor Speedway||Fort Worth||39||39||45||127||1997|
|Texas World Speedway||College Station||8||0||0||8||1969|
- The first NASCAR national series race held in the state of Texas was a NASCAR Cup Series race at Texas World Speedway in College Station, Texas. The event was held on December 7, 1969 and it was won by Bobby Isaac (Dodge).
- A total of 89 different drivers in NASCAR national series history have their home state recorded as Texas.
- A total of 10 different drivers from Texas have won at least one race in NASCAR’s three national series.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Terry Labonte leads all Texas drivers with 34 NASCAR national series wins.
|6||Bobby Hillin Jr||1||2||0||3|
— NASCAR —