With NASCAR on a temporary hiatus, news has been slow. To help fill the NASCAR void, have been taking you on a daily trip down memory lane spanning the years since the Jayski’s site inception. Using our news archives pages, here’s a look back at what’s happened on this date through the last 23 years in NASCAR. With the resumption of NASCAR in a couple weeks, this feature will end May 10, but you can always check out old news on our Archives pages.
This day in NASCAR history: May 9
Years we have pulled today’s main items from: 2015, 2014, 2012, 2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001
Top see everything from this date over previous years: Main Page | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997
Note: Many links on older stories don’t work. There’s not a lot of the same websites around anymore.
To see previous articles covering "Today in History", click here.
- Allmendinger agrees to five year deal with JTG Daugherty: Today during a NASCAR media availability at Kansas Speedway, AJ Allmendinger revealed to media members that he has signed an extension to his driver agreement with JTG Daugherty Racing that will make him the driver of the #47 Chevy SS for at least through the 2020 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race season. "I have always said I have a verbal lifetime contract with JTG Daugherty Racing, but I want to announce today that I have officially signed a contract for a five year deal," Allmendinger said. "It’s pretty cool to me because I love it here and love the family atmosphere Jodi (Geschickter), Tad (Geschickter) and Brad (Daugherty) have established. Not only do we have a family bond, we have a healthy future with some of the biggest and best brands in the business." This announcement follows The Kroger Company’s news of sponsoring the team for multiple years starting with 17 races this season and 24 in 2016. Kroger is one of many great partners of JTG Daugherty Racing, such as, Better Than Bouillon, BUSH’S Beans, Charter Spectrum, Clorox, Core Power, Freightliner, Glad, Hidden Valley, House-Autry, Hungry Jack, Kingsford, SCOTT Products and Shore Lunch.(JTG Daugherty Racing)(5-9-2015)
- Richard Petty Motorsports considering move to Toyota? Was that the King meeting with representatives from [Toyota] at Richmond? According to multiple sources, Richard Petty Motorsports [#9-Ambrose & #43-Almirola] is contemplating leaving Ford when its contract expires at the end of this year. One sticking point, however, could be engines. TRD currently has the capability to provide eight teams with engines. Although there are only three teams from Joe Gibbs Racing and three from Michael Waltrip Racing exercising that option, who’s to say that either of those operations isn’t considering expansion in the future. Without TRD engines, a partnership with Toyota isn’t nearly as attractive. After having your cars powered by Roush Yates engines, Triad would certainly be a step down.(Motorsport)(5-9-2014)
- Postal worker wins $1 million from Mayfield in dog attack: On Wednesday, a Forsyth County judge ordered former NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield to pay $1 million to a Catawba [NC] postal carrier attacked last year by Mayfield’s five pitbulls. This is the latest salvo against Mayfield, whose home was auctioned off for failing to pay about $3 million he owed on the property. He also faces drug-possession, larceny and stolen goods charges in three North Carolina counties and was suspended from NASCAR in 2009 for testing positive for methamphetamine. Judge William Z. Wood of Forsyth Superior Court awarded Mary E. Bolton $1 million. Bolton, who lives in Catawba County, filed a lawsuit against Mayfield and his wife, Shana Mayfield, in June in Forsyth Superior Court. The suit was filed in Forsyth because Bolton’s attorney, Marc Madonia, is based in Winston-Salem, NC. Bolton alleged that the Mayfields were negligent in allowing the dogs, pitbull/Labrador mixes, to run loose on their property in Catawba County. She was delivering mail the morning of April 21, 2011, and had a package too large for the mailbox outside the Mayfields’ gate. She drove through the gate, past "No Trespassing" and "Beware of Dogs" signs, to deliver the package and encountered the dogs that attacked her. Mayfield heard the commotion, shouted at the dogs to scatter them and carried Bolton into the house. He and his wife called 911, and Bolton was taken to Catawba Medical Center for treatment. Animal control confiscated the dogs from Mayfield, but no criminal charges were filed against him. The dogs were later euthanized. Bolton suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and has nerve damage, Madonia said.(in part from the Morganton News Herald)(5-9-2012)
- Mayfield, others suspended after violating substance abuse policy: Jeremy Mayfield, driver of the #41 Toyota in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, Tony Martin, a licensed crew member with the #34 team in the Sprint Cup Series and Ben Williams, a licensed crew member with the #16 team in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, have been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy. All three were found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book.[was not alcohol due to SPEED](NASCAR PR)
AND NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield has been suspended indefinitely after failing a random drug test. The result stems from a test last weekend at Richmond International Raceway. NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter will not reveal what banned drug Mayfield used. Hunter said it was not an alcohol-related offense. Mayfield failed to qualify for Saturday night’s Sprint Cup race at Darlington Speedway. He is driving this season in a car he owns himself. Although he raced it into the season-opening Daytona 500, he has failed to qualify for six of the 11 other Sprint Cup events this season. Mayfield is the first driver suspended under NASCAR’s improved substance abuse policy, which went into effect this season.(Associated Press)(5-9-2009)
- Dale Jr. & Truex to JR Motorsports? Dave Moody reported on Wednesday afternoon’s Sirius Speedway that rumor has it that Dale Earnhardt Jr. will announce tomorrow [Thurs, May 10th] at JR Motorsports, that both he and #1-Martin Truex, Jr. will drive in the Nextel Cup Series for JR Motorsports in 2008. Hendrick Motorsports will provide engines for the team. A press conference is planned for 11:00am/et at JR Motorsports headquarters per a PR from the team and SPEED will interrupt regularly scheduled programming to go LIVE from the JR Motorsports race shop at 11:00am/et for a news conference with NASCAR Nextel Cup Series driver Dale Earnhardt Jr.(5-9-2007)
UPDATE: Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR’s biggest star, has been in contract negotiations with his current employer, Dale Earnhardt Inc., and is asking for 51% ownership of the team. But the location of the press conference, at JR Motorsports, which Earnhardt Jr. owns separately from DEI, indicates his future plans might not include DEI. Earnhardt Jr., who was at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Wednesday evening for a sponsor appearance, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he planned to talk about "some ideas I’ve got for the future" but would not elaborate. Officials from DEI did not return phone calls seeking comment. But Earnhardt Jr., answering questions from fans at an event held by his sponsor Budweiser, indicated that his plans for JR Motorsports might not include adding two Nextel Cup cars. He said his main goal in being a team owner is to be able to help young drivers and mechanics advance their careers. "I don’t want the company to get too big," he said. "I’ve got about 70 employees now, and I don’t want to get too many more." He also seemed to squelch another persistent rumor – that he was headed to Richard Childress Racing to drive the #3 Chevrolet made famous by his late father. "’I’d like to do it for a year or two at the end of my career, when I’m 50 or 55," he said.(Atlanta Journal-Constitution)(5-9-2007)
- Dale Jr. leans toward Hendrick? UPDATE denied: The efforts to sign #8-Dale Earnhardt Jr. to a NASCAR driving contract for 2008 and beyond has reached a critical point, and the top two teams on Earnhardt’s list are the Chevrolet teams owned by Richard Childress and Rick Hendrick, according to men familiar with the negotiations. Earnhardt today is leaning toward a deal with Hendrick [NOTE: where would Earnhardt go? HMS has four Cup teams and all three drivers signed for a couple more years, unless some sort of deal with Haas CNC Racing or Ginn Racing would be worked out], largely because of Hendrick’s very strong engine program, sources here said yesterday. Earnhardt and veteran crew chief Tony Eury Jr., his cousin and close confidante as well as the man who has led him to many of his 17 Cup victories, have talked with both the Hendrick and Childress camps in recent weeks about the positives and negatives each team owner would have to offer, sources said yesterday. And Eury will have a major voice in the decision, because Earnhardt’s primary goal now, at age 32, is to win a championship.(Winston Salem Journal)(5-9-2007)
UPDATE: Hendrick Motorsports General Manager Marshall Carlson told Sirius NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway Tuesday that his team is fully stocked with drivers for 2008 and beyond, and that he has not spoken with Dale Earnhardt, Jr., about the possibility of joining the Hendrick stable.(Sirius NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway)(5-9-2007)
- Hornish to the #2? or Paul Tracy? Newman unhappy? With all of the speculation about who will replace Rusty Wallace in the #2 car next year, everyone has forgotten about two-time IRL champion Sam Hornish Jr., who already drives for Roger Penske. I [Yahoo’s Bob Margolis] hear that he’s at the top of the list to replace Rusty.(Yahoo! Sports)
AND Rumors about the racing future of Toronto’s Paul Tracy in NASCAR were ratcheted up this weekend. This time the 36-year-old Champ Car World Series driver is being wooed by Penske Racing South. While there have been stories linking Tracy to a proposed American Le Mans Series team planned by Roger Penske, this is the first time that people are talking about him joining up with Penske’s NASCAR program. The nucleus of the talks revolve around Penske needing a driver to replace Rusty Wallace in the #2 Dodge. More intriguing is talk in the NASCAR garage that Ryan Newman is unhappy with his progress in the #12 Penske Dodge.(Toronto Sun)
AND II Roger Penske’s search for a new driver to replace retiring Rusty Wallace has become one of this sport’s biggest mysteries. #42-Jamie McMurray seemed the obvious pick for a while, but car owner Chip Ganassi doesn’t seem a bit interested in letting McMurray move over to arch-rival Penske. #16-Greg Biffle has also been in the heavy speculation since his contract with Jack Roush is up at the end of the season. Biffle insists he’s sticking with Roush. but adds the caveat that even if he were thinking about moving on, he’d be foolish to say anything about it right now.
The latest Penske speculation focuses on Paul Tracy, a wildly aggressive Indy-car star who once drove for Penske – and who once worked with Matt Borland, one of Penske’s top NASCAR crew chiefs, who works now with Ryan Newman. Borland said that Tracy might be a bit too aggressive for NASCAR’s got-to-get-along world, but Borland said that if Tracy brings the right attitude, it could certainly work out. And Borland said it would be "very interesting" to watch Tracy learning to adjust to the NASCAR tour.(Winston Salem Journal)(5-9-2005)
- SAFER Tests Goes Well: NASCAR managing director of competition Gary Nelson said Tuesday’s test of the impact-absorbing SAFER barrier wall "went well," but it will be 20-30 days before engineers will tell NASCAR if it is ready to be installed on the turns of Richmond International Raceway and New Hampshire International Speedway. Engineers at the University of Nebraska’s Midwest Roadside Safety Facility crashed a used Winston Cup car into a modified version of the original SAFER barrier that was fitted to a mock-up of one of Richmond’s turns. SAFER, which stands for Steel and Foam Energy Reduction, was installed on the outside retaining walls at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway last May; NASCAR and Indy Racing League drivers said the barrier significantly cushioned the impact of crashes. The modified barrier is similar to the original but comes in much shorter sections so it can curve to fit tight-radius turns at short tracks. Dean Sicking, who is in charge of the SAFER project, and his engineers will review computer data gathered during the test to determine if it is ready. Even if Sicking approves it within 30 days, it is unlikely to be installed at New Hampshire for its July 21 Winston Cup race. However, it could be in place in time for the September races at Richmond and New Hampshire. (USA Today)(5-9-2003)
- Nadeau and Hendrick Part Ways: Hendrick Motorsports and driver Jerry Nadeau on Wednesday agreed to part ways, effective immediately, ending Nadeau’s tenure with the #25 team. Sources said Joe Nemechek, who lost his ride earlier this season with Travis Carter Enterprises when sponsor Kmart filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, is the top candidate to replace Nadeau for the remainder of the season. Hendrick said no one has been chosen to fill the vacancy, although a search is under way. Nadeau, 31, scored the only win of his Winston Cup career in November 2000 at Atlanta at the conclusion of his first full season with Hendrick. In 150 starts, he has one win, eight top-five and 18 top-10 finishes. Just last week, the 25 team replaced crew chief Tony Furr with Ken Howes. "Both Hendrick Motorsports and myself as a driver are dedicated to the same goal – winning races," Nadeau said. "But after we sat down and evaluated the situation, it was obvious that we were not making the kind of progress we owe our fans and sponsors and decided it would be best to go our separate ways. Driving for Hendrick Motorsports was a great experience for me. At the end of my first season with the team, I really felt that we were on our way, but the results we were capable of just weren’t there."(ThatsRacin.com)(5-8-2002)
UPDATE: Jerry Nadeau, who parted ways with Hendrick Motorsports Wednesday says he’s in no rush to jump into a situation right away. With the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte coming up, Nadeau if he has to sit in the stands with his wife at Charlotte he’ll do that and watch a good race. As for the UAW-Delphi Monte Carlo team, Nadeau said Hendrick gave him a heck of an opportunity, but unfortunately things just didn’t work out. "We just seemed like we’ve always had tons and tons of bad luck. I was really discouraged and I think they were discouraged at their side because we didn’t have a crew chief in line for the team, but things were starting to fall apart. I was not happy because I really felt that team should be a lot better than it is and I felt there were areas in which we could improve but we never had a lot of good luck. I hate to say that as a team, but we just seemed like we always had situations happen to us and it never really seemed like it happened to a lot of other teams. I’m not here to gripe about it, but it was a matter of everything working together and obviously there was some situations that just wasn’t working right. Nadeau also says it’s disappointing because he got his first win his first year there and "then it just seemed like it started downhill from there". They were really good to me…they were like family to me, but things just didn’t happen. I’m sad to go for sure because they’re great people.(PRN’s Garage Pass)(5-8-2002)
UPDATE 2: hearing the new driver will be be Joe Nemechek.(5-9-2002)
- Lepage Signed? UPDATE 3 YES: Kevin Lepage was scheduled to formally sign a contract with #4 Morgan-McClure Motorsports May 1, a development unaffected by his failure to qualify for the April 29 Napa Auto Parts 500(Winston Cup Scene – need subscrition to read online)(5-3-2001)
UPDATE: Kevin Lepage, who has already agreed to a deal with the #4 Morgan-McClure Motorsports team, will make his relationship with the team official when he signs a contract this week. Lepage, who joined the #4 Kodak Chevrolet team after the it split with former driver Robby Gordon, is expected to sign a contract Tuesday at Charlotte where the team will be testing for the upcoming Winston all-star race and Coca-Cola 600(That’s Racin’)(5-6-2001)
UPDATE 2: Morgan-McClure Motorsports will make a special announcement in conjunction with the annual Lowe’s Motor Speedway press conference. The media event will take place in the Winston Cup garage at Lowe’s Motor Speedway on Tuesday, May 8th at 3:30pm/et(Morgan McClure PR), could be Lepage named the driver?(5-8-2001)
UPDATE 3: Morgan-McClure Motorsports and Kodak have reached an agreement with Kevin Lepage to drive the #4 KODAK MAX Film Monte Carlo. Lepage stepped into the ride in the Food City 500 at Bristol. Following several weeks of "courting", the team is ready to make the relationship official. A three-year contract will solidify Lepage as the driver of the familiar yellow Chevrolet. Larry McClure, owner of the #4, and Lepage have eluded to the contract for several weeks. However, time constraints and final negotiations kept the deal on the table. Both parties are ready to move forward for the 2001 season. Lepage and McClure feel the chemistry is present to make successful showings in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series. Kevin Lepage, "official" driver of the No. 4 KODAK MAX Film Monte Carlo, quotes: "I am just honored to be named the driver of the #4 KODAK MAX Film Chevy. We had our trial run and liked each other enough to ink a contract. Larry, Ed, Teddy and Jerry McClure and all of the people over at Morgan-McClure are a great bunch. My wife, Donna, and I are looking forward to working with them and being a part of their racing family(Morgan McClure PR)(5-9-2001)
Click a link below for a full listing of news from each year: